"Opting out" seems to be a moot point.

KrystalKandy

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Might it not be possible to have civil discussion about this here without engaging in mockery and sarcasm?

If your concerns are not those of others who don't want their picks and their bios on the open web, that's fine. I myself don't care that much.

But it might be nice to treat the views of others respectfully, even if they are not your own.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

2 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Might it not be possible to have civil discussion about this here without engaging in mockery and sarcasm?

If your concerns are not those of others who don't want their picks and their bios on the open web, that's fine. I myself don't care that much.

But it might be nice to treat the views of others respectfully, even if they are not your own.

Well said! I detected no mockery at all in your well-advised advice.

Edited by Love Zhaoying
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Respect was given - the respect such reactions deserve. These "concerns" are years too late considering that all one had to do was a simple query on an external search engine to be linked to the Second Life Search utility.

If it took this for people to realize just how simple it was to go to that page and run a search without being logged in ... I have very little that is "nice" that I can say to it.

I am in no mood for this sort of crap today. I am in no mood to head pat, assuage and pretend to be nicer than I was in my response.

This has been possible to do for quite some time and did not require even going to a dedicated site to do so. Shock! Horror!

Edited by Solar Legion
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Seriously though, set your options correctly. Do not bother with the Web Profiles (they're being deprecated/aren't even used in even the main viewer at this point) and any system that still uses those settings is likely on the slate to be altered.

And those are indeed one of the reasons why I'm personally not overly exercised about this particular aspect of the issue. My focus is much more on the huge database out there somewhere that contains a whole lot more information than appears in our profiles.

One of the justifications / excuses for closing these threads has been the "vitriol" and "flamewars" supposedly happening in them. We don't need to go that route, Solar. Please, let's not.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

And those are indeed one of the reasons why I'm personally not overly exercised about this particular aspect of the issue. My focus is much more on the huge database out there somewhere that contains a whole lot more information than appears in our profiles.

One of the justifications / excuses for closing these threads has been the "vitriol" and "flamewars" supposedly happening in them. We don't need to go that route, Solar. Please, let's not.

I don't frankly care anymore.

It was addressed ad nauseum in each and every prior thread. It has been explained that the information that appeared in their original profile system can be accessed by simple enough script calls and is not Private Data of any kind.

That version is rather likely too late to claw back from aggregators and other, shadier sites. Linking to the Second Life Search? A nothingburger. The "sales figures" were based on nothing more than what people were buying/what was for sale at the differing shops. Nothing that was presented required special access

I'm personally done with the BS.

People need to find something that is an actual breach. Until then ... 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Oh noes! A nasty, third party site has directly liked to the Second Life Search without the need to log in!

... Seriously?

Welp, guess a lot missed the boat on that bit of outrage!

image.thumb.png.2ca83bbeb9c5a84d279b46086226e04c.png

image.thumb.png.9a85d0df2fcdbff89bcb15cb19fcf74c.png

Pardon the bit of 'cute speak' here (used sarcastically) - OwO Nowoes! Da big, mean third party search engines has lnkses to da Second Life Search! Whatever shall we do?!

My reason for the post was not to complain that there is a second life search. It was the fact that a certain website offered an opt out option but then directly linked a resource that can not be opted out of.

But thank you for the insults and the mocking baby talk. I am sure you are a real hit at parties. My hope was to have an adult discussion about things. Clearly that is not possible so I will gracefully bow out. 

• Like 7

Just now, KrystalKandy said:

My reason for the post was not to complain that there is a second life search. It was the fact that a certain website offered an opt out option but then directly linked a resource that can not be opted out of.

But thank you for the insults and the mocking baby talk. I am sure you are a real hit at parties. My hope was to have an adult discussion about things. Clearly that is not possible so I will gracefully bow out. 

That's nice. I wasn't addressing you. I was addressing the over the top reactions and responses of some of those who responded.

The adult discussion happened in other threads. Answers were given.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

And the answers were wanting. They were not adequate then nor now. Get over it. The biggest let down is that S/L plays fast and loose with our data and did not adequately inform the populace it was doing so. Even Facebook hasn't stooped that low.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

That's nice. I wasn't addressing you. I was addressing the over the top reactions and responses of some of those who responded.

My concern had nothing to do with that web site and nothing to do with my profile..

It had everything to do with what wasn't discussed in the other threads..

I might have got wound up about it.. That happens sometimes.. At least I'm not stuck in the same gear all the time.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KrystalKandy said:

I don't have issue with the linden search being accessible from the web.

It appearing on the unmentionable site feels like it was only done to stir the pot, again .. malicious compliance at best.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

@KrystalKandy  Not logged into the website and doing a search for your name + Second Life brings me to this page which shows way more than the link provided by the BB website...

Krys Calamity (krystalkandy) (secondlife.com)

That is rather curious. I just had a few people do a search for me and they could not find any of that. 

Where did you search from?

They were however, able to find it by being logged in and using the key for my avatar name. 

Edited by KrystalKandy
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, KrystalKandy said:

That is rather curious. I just had a few people do a seach for me and they could not find any of that. 

Like this: she copied the key from inside SL then combined it with the first part of the web address: https://world.secondlife.com/resident/050165df-0729-4c47-a71f-92747bdd985c Obviously this data is indeed public without us having to log in to the SL site but one has to be a bit creative to reach it or I just missed a way to search for it. 

Edit: ok clearly you can search and find profiles as proven by the posts below but the success rate depends on the search engine used, I used google and that didn't work for some reason. 

Edited by Varistentia Varriale
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, KrystalKandy said:

That is rather curious. I just had a few people do a seach for me and they could not find any of that. 

They were however, able to find it by being logged in and using the key for my avatar name. 

Duck Duck Go: image.thumb.png.27e5a6db14714b3102de16ec40f8fca6.png

No results from Google outside of the Forum based profile.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KrystalKandy said:

That is rather curious. I just had a few people do a search for me and they could not find any of that. 

I searched from my laptop and just now from my tablet.  Searched KrystalKandy Second life and got this page...

Screenshot_20230207-190715.thumb.png.e2af0e973cc6fb09d69c6597d762a9ec.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Filed this as a bug report.

https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/BUG-233346

Thank you for taking the time to do this.

My profile is also set to friends all down the list in the privacy options. Yet people who are not on my friends list are getting my entire profile as well while logged out. As shown above in a previous post. 

• Like 4

22 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

-- Yes, you are correct: "opting out" is now essentially meaningless. Anyone can be found through the SL web search that has replaced what they had before.

I know that different folks have different views and that's cool and all.

Just saying, I'm cool if any of you find me. Even tracking me is okay. I like parties.

If you invite me, I will likely come. 

😁

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Can someone fill my coffeeless brain in on what nefarious search site is the issue? 

Also, profiles are supposed to be G rated. Do you have your RL name and address posted on yours or something? It's not like someone can find you RL through your SL profile, unless you are an idiot and put RL info on there. I mean anything more than a time zone or state. Hell mine says i'm from Boston.. Good luck finding me. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Drake1 Nightfire said:

Can someone fill my coffeeless brain in on what nefarious search site is the issue? 

Also, profiles are supposed to be G rated. Do you have your RL name and address posted on yours or something? It's not like someone can find you RL through your SL profile, unless you are an idiot and put RL info on there. I mean anything more than a time zone or state. Hell mine says i'm from Boston.. Good luck finding me. 

I'll DM you: mentioning the name of said site is likely to get the post removed or worse.

It's not just about RL information, Drake. In our SL identities, we still have relationships, reputations -- indeed, pretty full lives in many regards. People get married here, they have affairs, they are important members of communities, etc. You can do a great deal of damage to someone's SL experience by misusing information. Just look at Virtual Secrets.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I'll DM you: mentioning the name of said site is likely to get the post removed or worse.

It's not just about RL information, Drake. In our SL identities, we still have relationships, reputations -- indeed, pretty full lives in many regards. People get married here, they have affairs, they are important members of communities, etc. You can do a great deal of damage to someone's SL experience by misusing information. Just look at Virtual Secrets.

That's all true BUT...they'd still have to already know your name to even bother searching it on that site or anywhere on the internet.  Chances are, if they already know your name, they already have an account and can see ALL that info inworld.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 444 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.