2 hours ago, Janet Voxel said:

I....grew...up...on...Barney.....

Aww!  I watched more Barney than I ever wanted to because my daughter loved him.  I inwardly cringed at his sugary sweet vapidness, but he was a dinosaur and my daughter just loved all things dinosaur.  I was so glad when she moved on to The Land Before Time and Disney's Dinosaur, followed by the Jurassic Park series of movies.

I've watched a lot of children's television, over the years, most of which I liked, but not Barney.

• Like 2

My son and I used to love watching Blue's Clues.  He recently showed me a video from Steve Burns that explained why he left the show.  Don't tell anyone but my son got a little misty-eyed while we were watching.  Some shows leave a lasting impression 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

The Land Before Time

I actually enjoyed those - maybe not as much as my son, but they were definitely better than Barney.

My son learned how to work the VCR at a very young age.  I used to leave a bowl of dry Cheerios on the kitchen table and a sippy cup of fruit juice in the fridge.  He'd get up on Sat mornings, grab those two things and go sit down to watch the various Land Before Time movies.  It would usually buy me an extra hour or two of sleep on the weekends.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Aww!  I watched more Barney than I ever wanted to because my daughter loved him.  I inwardly cringed at his sugary sweet vapidness, but he was a dinosaur and my daughter just loved all things dinosaur.  I was so glad when she moved on to The Land Before Time and Disney's Dinosaur, followed by the Jurassic Park series of movies.

I've watched a lot of children's television, over the years, most of which I liked, but not Barney.

Might I appeal to your appreciation of irony, Kali?
https://www.vice.com/en/article/zmzgbw/the-guy-who-played-barney-the-dinosaur-now-runs-a-tantric-sex-business

• Haha 6

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I actually enjoyed those - maybe not as much as my son, but they were definitely better than Barney.

My son learned how to work the VCR at a very young age.  I used to leave a bowl of dry Cheerios on the kitchen table and a sippy cup of fruit juice in the fridge.  He'd get up on Sat mornings, grab those two things and go sit down to watch the various Land Before Time movies.  It would usually buy me an extra hour or two of sleep on the weekends.

Yes, I enjoyed them too.  To this day we still talk about long necks (my favorite) and sharp tooths (daughter's fave). And I just adored Ducky! After the 500th time they wore a bit thin, but, I have fond memories of the pleasure and excitement my daughter had when a new one would come out.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Looking back at it, it was cringe. But to a 4 year old in 1992….well …it was gold.

Edited by Janet Voxel

31 minutes ago, Janet Voxel said:

Looking back at it, it was cringe. But to a 4 year old in 1992….well …it was gold.

My daughter was born in '92.  She also cringes now about Barney. In fact there are were some  shows that I enjoyed more than her, like The Wild Thornberrys and The Rugrats and Sesame Street.  I was sad when she didn't want to watch Sesame Street anymore. And Mr. Rogers was my hero, even though she never really got into him.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

hahahahaa, mine too, and she is my baby!  She still loves dinosaurs; I just sent her a T-Rex cartoon this morning...

My baby too!  Rhat early attachment to dinosaurs is still holding strong 29 years later.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

And Mr. Rogers was my hero, even though she never really got into him.

I grew up without a TV in the house, so missed a lot (or very little?). I'm sure I'd heard of Mr. Rogers from friends, but I don't think I actually saw him until I got to college where the local PBS station was often playing in the student lounge. I quickly became a fan of Mr. McFeely and his "How People Make Things” tours

A few years later, when I had my own engineering team, I'd wheel a TV cart into the lab on Tuesday mornings so we could all watch how things were made. I don't know that we actually learned anything we didn't already know, but you can't put a price on telling the marketing department that you're learning how to design defibrillators by watching Mr. Rogers.

• Like 4

I don't have (and at this stage, won't have) kids, but I do have nieces with whom I've always been strongly connected, so, back in the day, I did watch a fair number of kid's TV shows with them.

I'm not sure about the current state of the art, but 15 years ago or so . . . wow, children's TV was better than it was when I was a kid! Arthur, for instance, is absolutely brilliant. (I also read some of the books to my nieces.) There was another that was about a family of cats, set in ancient China, and one called George Shrinks, based on a book, that was pretty good too. I think there were others that really impressed me, but those are the ones I remember offhand.

But honestly, nothing can ever top Sesame Street.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I grew up without a TV in the house, so missed a lot (or very little?). I'm sure I'd heard of Mr. Rogers from friends, but I don't think I actually saw him until I got to college where the local PBS station was often playing in the student lounge. I quickly became a fan of Mr. McFeely and his "How People Make Things” tours

A few years later, when I had my own engineering team, I'd wheel a TV cart into the lab on Tuesday mornings so we could all watch how things were made. I don't know that we actually learned anything we didn't already know, but you can't put a price on telling the marketing department that you're learning how to design defibrillators by watching Mr. Rogers.

I didn't meet Mr. Rogers until I started babysitting.  I can remember my fascination with how enraptured the little boy I baby sat was as Mr. Rogers talked to him. Later I bought a book he wrote and read articles about him and just generally followed his career. Naturally I put him on for my daughter, but she relates better to animals than people and she was not a fan.  Dinosaurs, not puppets were her thing.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

But honestly, nothing can ever top Sesame Street.

I've never actually seen an episode of Sesame Street. While you did, I was out in the barn on sultry summer evenings, watching stuff like this...

I'm probably making this up, but dinner on the patio before the movie was likely to have something like this playing in the background...

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2