Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve (technical, required for on topic): I may not have been clear, but you don't go around somewhat randomly saying "but I have a degree!" as some argument if you feel that you've been disrespected, or someone disagreed with an uninformed opinion of yours. 🙂

You may have detected a whiff of satire in my post. If not, I didn't breathe quite enough into it.

I get ticked when people wave degrees like union cards, as if they confer instant credibility.  I've known way too many PhDs who are utter idiots outside of their narrow fields (and several who are idiots anywhere, but that's a different story).  I do get annoyed by the reverse snobbery of people who automatically figure that anyone with a degree is a clueless egghead, but I'll agree that some of them are -- especially the ones who wave the degree as a shield of invincibility.

Edited by Rolig Loon
typos. as always.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

You may have detected a whiff of satire in my post. If not, I didn't breathe quite enough into it.

I did, but your subtlety was just enough on-point that I felt the need to clarify! 🙂

• Like 1

This is a rather ironic peeve, given I'm one of those dreaded AI enjoyers - but I've just about had it with people passing obvious AI pictures around as some masterwork second life screenshot. I'm talking full on just a 100% generated image, including cursed fingers.

I'd be fine if it were noted - or if there were a trace of SL in it but there's just not. What's even more, there are people praising it as amazing SL photography and I can't figure out if they're serious or sarcastic.

And that's just scary to consider.

It's like culturally we need AI literacy classes fast or a six fingered, big breasted Elvis Pretzel will bring about WW3.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

16 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

This is a rather ironic peeve, given I'm one of those dreaded AI enjoyers - but I've just about had it with people passing obvious AI pictures around as some masterwork second life screenshot. I'm talking full on just a 100% generated image, including cursed fingers.

I'd be fine if it were noted - or if there were a trace of SL in it but there's just not. What's even more, there are people praising it as amazing SL photography and I can't figure out if they're serious or sarcastic.

It's like culturally we need AI literacy classes fast or a six fingered, big breasted Elvis Pretzel will bring about WW3.

I have completely lost patience with AI art -- particularly the way in which it's now contaminating searches for art by actual, real artists.

I know a couple of SL people who use it well and in an interesting and worthwhile way, but most of it is just garbage.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

It's infested adds for SL products and peoples profiles as well..

It's only going to get worse too.. That's not counting the RL things it's  showing up in..

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, ValKalAstra said:

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I have completely lost patience with AI art -- particularly the way in which it's now contaminating searches for art by actual, real artists.

I know a couple of SL people who use it well and in an interesting and worthwhile way, but most of it is just garbage.

LOL. I have been peeving and whining and complaining so hard about AI art and how it's infested just about everything. I love using fantasy art as references when making my SL avatars, and I cannot tell you how much AI garbage there is in that arena. It's almost impossible to find real drawings, sketches, and traditional and digital paintings. Omggggggg, if I see another cat in a wizard's robe...

Funny thing is I've been complaining to my brother about this very same thing because he's HUGE into AI-assisted design these days, and he eventually sent me some of what he's been creating over the last year to show me what's actually really possible with this stuff. Ya know, beyond all the stupid cat pirates.

He's been using Midjourney to create things like textiles, fabrics, yarns, beading and dainty pearls, ceramics, wires. Fabric pouches decorated with beads filled with more beads and super fine yarns and threads - like something you'd pick up at an estate sale from an eccentric grandmother. Yarn skeins. Beaded African masks. Death masks. Afrofuturistic face and hair adornments. Long strings of twisted wires. Braided threads. Glazed ceramic and porcelain sculptures. Really wild stuff and it all looks like regular photography. Had he not told me it was AI, I'd think he was spending too much of his time at craft fairs! And I said to him dude...why haven't I ever seen stuff like this before???? WHY IS IT ALWAYS CATS IN ROBES? 😂

I've since determined he's the only one I'll allow to play with AI. Everyone else must quit and take their crappy pseudo-fantasy art with them, lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Amazon drivers who lie about deliveries.

Amazon drivers who lie about giving packages to the building receptionist or mail room. That we don't have.

Amazon drivers who fake my signature and dump the package.

Amazon drivers who misspell my name when faking the signature.

My catfood order not being good enough to bother stealing, so it gets dumped in the hall.

• Like 1
  • Sad 6

I'm a little peeved because, I very distinctly remember a statement I heard some years ago (can't remember exactly who said it or when it was), which claimed that 'to make an accurate digital model of a human brain you would need a planet-sized computer'. To me, it was very much the same issue as when my teacher in elementary school told us that 'if Earth was the size of an apple, the atmosphere would only be as thick as the skin' (which I disliked, because an apple isn't a proper measurement - for anything but Smurfs - how big an apple? What kind? They come in different varieties with different skin-thickness-to-actual-apple-ratios, y'know; and seldom are they even slightly Earth-shaped). 

Besides, one moment there were 3.5" floppy discs on which you struggled to store pictures on, the next moment we had thumb drives with sufficient memory to store entire films and discographies, so obviously a statement about physical volume for digital storage was bound to have next to no longevity whatsoever.

Anyway, now they've gone and mapped a cubic millimetre of a human brain. And apparently it's important information that the project took 1,400 terabytes of data. 

.. Which, yeah, that's a big impressive number, but, it's also entirely meaningless without any reference to what it actually entails. They call it a 'map', maps are, notoriously, a vague term (such as subway/railway 'maps' which obviously make no effort to reflect the geographical reality of the railroad, but present you with an easily digestible itinerary for how to get to you where you need to be). Is it a 3D model? What's the polygon density like? Are the synapses somehow simulated so that we can see them 'in action' or 'do stuff' with it? What's the texture resolution like? Who knows. Now I just have yet another useless 'fact' in my head, that roughly goes 'to map a cubic millimetre of a human brain requires 1,400 TB of data', and I'm probably going to be peeved about how vague that 'information' is for the next decade or two until it'll yet again be replaced by another airheaded statement of some journalist trying to summarise something they probably don't really understand either. 

And obviously I'm not intrigued enough to actually go look any of it up to see if there's any answers to my questions. I've got better things to do. Like. Inventory sorting.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When you get up at the normal time, but there's no new Forum posts.

Or the only new posts is just more variations on what has already been said about the new TOS.

It might be time for me to take another forum break - maybe until end of summer, which should get me a couple of months past the 'modesty layer effective date'.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It might be time for me to take another forum break - maybe until end of summer, which should get me a couple of months past the 'modesty layer effective date'.

It would be nice if we had an ignore thread option on these forums, or if LL would just make a new subforum for the discussion of the TOS that people would have to register for to view or participate in.  That way when we click on "unread" we would not see about half of the posts in our feed,  regarding the TOS changes.

I think that might be enough of a change, to spark a new controversial subject though 🤣 "LL is trying to hide TOS changes from the public!"  

Edited by Istelathis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Istelathis said:

It would be nice if we had an ignore thread option on these forums, or if LL would just make a new subforum for the discussion of the TOS that people would have to register for to view or participate in.  That way when we click on "unread" we would not see about half of the posts in our feed,  regarding the TOS changes.

You can ignore any thread you want to. If you don't want to be notified each time someone posts a new thought, just change your preferences for that thread:

870bdacca3c748ef1267d1699d1fb066.png

Click "Unfollow" or "Do not send me any notifications" and you're free.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Rolig Loon said:

You can ignore any thread you want to. If you don't want to be notified each time someone posts a new thought, just change your preferences for that thread:

870bdacca3c748ef1267d1699d1fb066.png

Click "Unfollow" or "Do not send me any notifications" and you're free.

I tried, but failed :( Thank you though.

12 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I tried, but failed :( Thank you though.

Bummer.  I guess all you can do instead is just pretend you don't see those pesky notices.  It was worth a try.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Istelathis said:

I think that might be enough of a change, to spark a new controversial subject though 🤣 "LL is trying to hide TOS changes from the public!"  

I thought setting up a "custom feed" (instead of using "unread") was the solution.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

I thought setting up a "custom feed" (instead of using "unread") was the solution.

I've played around with it a little, but have not found a way to exclude some threads. I recall there is an addon you can install on browsers, that run scripts, and there was one script to ignore threads on Invision forums, but when I tried it, it would not work while browsing unread content.  It would ignore threads if you were to browse the site by each subforum though.

It is not really a huge ordeal, not worth me fussing too much over. I guess, a peeve of sorts.  I think one of my initial posts on this forum regarded such a request, and it was not well received.

Edited by Istelathis
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

When someone thinks you did something you did not, and also not knowing how to actually respond.

Peeve: The state of not-knowing we sometimes have to exist in.

Edited by Luna Bliss

Expensive single use plastic capsules with Gatorade concentrate that can only be opened if you buy into the Gatorade Hydration System. Can't actually be recycled.

Someone in marketing had a grand idea .. Keurig, but for lightly favored water with a little salt in it.

Watch till the end ,, worth it. 😂

On 5/12/2024 at 1:58 PM, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: When you get up at the normal time, but there's no new Forum posts.

Maybe go to bed earlier, so the night is a bit longer? :D

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Luna Bliss said:

Peeve: The state of not-knowing we sometimes have to exist in.

The older I get, the more I realize that I know very little about a lot of things.
But that's okay, as long as the fingers of ones hand ain't all of the same length, one still can learn.

/me checks his hands...

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 1