8 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Dinosaurs, not puppets were her thing.

My son was also really into dinosaurs meaning I learned more about dinosaurs in my 30s that I had up until then.  It was always entertaining when an adult would ask my 3 year old son what dinosaurs were his favorite and he speak.right up with, " I love the Pachycephalosaurus and Brachiosaurus" then proceed to tell them all about them.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Rowan Amore said:

My son was also really into dinosaurs meaning I learned more about dinosaurs in my 30s that I had up until then.  It was always entertaining when an adult would ask my 3 year old son what dinosaurs were his favorite and he speak.right up with, " I love the Pachycephalosaurus and Brachiosaurus" then proceed to tell them all about them.

I love it when kids do that. I love their enthusiasms. It's so exciting to see them light up suddenly.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I've never actually seen an episode of Sesame Street. While you did, I was out in the barn on sultry summer evenings, watching stuff like this...

Omg. That's APPALLING!

It reminds me of the Flintstones, with the shrewish, spendthrift wives manipulating their dimwitted idiot husbands.

It's amazing that you turned out well-adjus . . .

Oh. Wait . . .

My version of this was being fed a constant diet of brilliant British satire and comedy from the 40s through 70s -- especially the Ealing Studios classics like The Man in the White Suit, The Lavender Hill Mob, The Lady Killers, Passport to Pimlico, etc. Also Peter Sellers movies (The Party, the Pink Panther series), anything with Trevor Howard (whom I wanted to marry), Joan Greenwood (whom I wanted to be when I grew up), and Peter O'Toole. Oh, and the darker satires of the 60s and 70s -- Get Carter, The Italian Job, Sleuth -- all of which seemed to star Michael Caine. Anything by David Lean. Other stuff, almost all of it British.

Film Noir and Humphrey Bogart / Lauren Bacall I discovered by myself. And very proud I was too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

It's amazing that you turned out well-adjus . . .

Oh. Wait . . .

You may commence gloating, which I think you'll enjoy even more than skulking.

Trevor Howard (whom I wanted to marry)

Yep, we've discussed this, though I'm still baffled by your choice of Howard brother. I won't complain as that leaves Curly for me.

Film Noir and Humphrey Bogart / Lauren Bacall I discovered by myself. And very proud I was too.

Ooooh...

Bogey.thumb.jpg.ecabd3cfe09e1a3cf78c9b9f3db98faf.jpg

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Haha 3

I recently discovered a wonderful YouTube channel by the name of "Faces of the Forgotten" in which the Gentlemen Who runs the channel Visits cemeteries and tell the story of one of a person who now rests there. (the stories are well researched and he shows any relevant photos or news stories on screen) As he walks to the grave of the he will show other grave markers usually ones that are over 100 years old and will also place any grave decorations that have been knocked over upright and is in general respectful of the dead.

Today he published a video about a young Girl who was a Circus performer that strayed to close a lion and was mauled to death by it. the part that got me mad was in the middle he comes across the grave of Civil war private  and out both the US flag and the Confederate Battle Flag that was placed at this Private's grave. What make it sad is he became tong tied trying to explain that he was respecting the man and not the cause he fought for  for some reason the fact that someone had to become tong tied over simply doing the right thing at a Persons Grave out of fear someone would take it the wrong way saddens me. 

Where ever you sit on it please do not go to his comments section and cause a ruckus hw just simply tells historical stories that would only be found if you dug in a small town's historical Society's archive 

Edited by Vanessa Amethyst
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

I recently discovered a wonderful YouTube channel by the name of "Faces of the Forgotten" in which the Gentlemen Who runs the channel Visits cemeteries and tell the story of one of a person who now rests there. (the stories are well researched and he shows any relevant photos or news stories on screen) As he walks to the grave of the he will show other grave markers usually ones that are over 100 years old and will also place any grave decorations that have been knocked over upright and is in general respectful of the dead.

Today he published a video about a young Girl who was a Circus performer that strayed to close a lion and was mauled to death by it. the part that got me mad was in the middle he comes across the grave of Civil war private  and out both the US flag and the Confederate Battle Flag that was placed at this Private's grave. What make it sad is he became tong tied trying to explain that he was respecting the man and not the cause he fought for  for some reason the fact that someone had to become tong tied over simply doing the right thing at a Persons Grave out of fear someone would take it the wrong way saddens me. 

Where ever you sit on it please do not go to his comments section and cause a ruckus hw just simply tells historical stories that would only be found if you dug in a small town's historical Society's archive 

I've just watched this.

I'm not going to berate anyone about his comments or his action here, but I am going to gently suggest that he is wrong, and that flags and statues aren't "history" -- they are symbols that have particular meanings. Erecting a statue of Robert E. Lee isn't about acknowledging his existence -- we don't need a statue in a very public place to do that. It's instead about honouring him as a "hero" and a great leader worthy of emulation. We don't put up statues of people who we don't think are worthy of being honoured and imitated, do we?

Similarly, a Confederate flag, particularly one that has obviously been placed on the grave recently, is a symbol of a particular regime and culture that was an historical fact -- but the flag, again, isn't "history" so much as it is restatement of the frankly evil and inhumane things for which the Confederacy stood.

History, properly understood, isn't about great heroes or causes -- it's an incredibly complicated narrative that needs to be analyzed critically and understood with reference to causes, implications, connections, and effects. Those who erect statues -- whether of Lee or of MLK Jr. -- aren't really practicing "history" because these are simplistic reductions of that complexity: they do not represent a full understanding of the historical significance of these people. They are political statements, and need to be understood and treated critically as such.

And where the statue or the flag is a political statement for a great evil -- which the cause of slavery unquestionably was - we need to ask ourselves whether this is something we want to continue to honour in this way.

Removing the flag has nothing to do with dishonouring or disrespecting the long-dead person buried. It is instead about refusing to buy into continued attempts by the living to honour a truly evil ideology.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just watched this.

I'm not going to berate anyone about his comments or his action here, but I am going to gently suggest that he is wrong, and that flags and statues aren't "history" -- they are symbols that have particular meanings. Erecting a statue of Robert E. Lee isn't about acknowledging his existence -- we don't need a statue in a very public place to do that. It's instead about honouring him as a "hero" and a great leader worthy of emulation. We don't put up statues of people who we don't think are worthy of being honoured and imitated, do we?

Similarly, a Confederate flag, particularly one that has obviously been placed on the grave recently, is a symbol of a particular regime and culture that was an historical fact -- but the flag, again, isn't "history" so much as it is restatement of the frankly evil and inhumane things for which the Confederacy stood.

History, properly understood, isn't about great heroes or causes -- it's an incredibly complicated narrative that needs to be analyzed critically and understood with reference to causes, implications, connections, and effects. Those who erect statues -- whether of Lee or of MLK Jr. -- aren't really practicing "history" because these are simplistic reductions of that complexity: they do not represent a full understanding of the historical significance of these people. They are political statements, and need to be understood and treated critically as such.

And where the statue or the flag is a political statement for a great evil -- which the cause of slavery unquestionably was - we need to ask ourselves whether this is something we want to continue to honour in this way.

Removing the flag has nothing to do with dishonouring or disrespecting the long-dead person buried. It is instead about refusing to buy into continued attempts by the living to honour a truly evil ideology.

For a minute there it looked like people got it. Flags and statues came down.

If you blinked you missed it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pamela Galli said:

For a minute there it looked like people got it. Flags and statues came down.

If you blinked you missed it.

Well, there are a number of issues here. One is that some really don't understand the difference between "history," which is not just a collection of names, dates, and events, but an understanding of what these mean and how they relate to each other and to the present, and "symbols."

And the other issue, of course -- and I am emphatically not suggesting that either Vanessa or the gentleman in the video fall into this camp -- is that there are some people who do still "honour" what these symbols stand for, often because they don't really understand their complete meanings.

It doesn't help that there is so much disinformation out there about things like the Confederacy. The far-right narrative that the Civil War was about "states rights" (when the point of fighting for states rights was the preservation of slavery as an institution) rather than slavery is a case in point.

My own perspective, which many will understandably feel is extreme, is that honouring men whose main achievement was killing, maiming, or breaking the will of as many of "the enemy" as possible isn't really terribly appropriate.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

I've just watched this.

Removing the flag has nothing to do with dishonoring or disrespecting the long-dead person buried. It is instead about refusing to buy into continued attempts by the living to honor a truly evil ideology.

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

Those who do not remember history are doomed to repeat it 

Indeed.

Which is rather the point: people who think that the Confederate flag is a worthy symbol to resurrect or continue to honour are very much "forgetting history."

I would add that it's not enough to "remember" history. Understanding it is also vital.

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra

8 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Indeed.

Which is rather the point: people who think that the Confederate flag is a worthy symbol to resurrect or continue to honour are very much "forgetting history."

No I don't believe that the symbols of the CSA belong in the town square I do feel its wrong to remove them from the cemetery the grave yard is a place where people hold sacred to the memory of there love ones anything placed there was not out of come campaign of fear or whatever but as a place of memory and What better place to remember bad ideas than a place where the dead are remembered.  and no matter what the person below ground felt we need to retain our humanity and remember respect the persons intured purely out of the fact that they were human. 

and thus my pet peeve is displayed here Something that was purely done to RESPECT THE DEAD has become political. note both the US flag and the other were knocked over likely by the wind if you see something knocked over in a grave yard it is simply respectful to place it upright. it is not a place to let your political feelings get in the way. 

10 minutes ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

Something that was purely done to RESPECT THE DEAD has become political

With the greatest respect, Vanessa, this is nonsense. No one living today places or displays a Confederate flag without deliberately making a "political statement."

A flag is by definition a political statement. It stands for certain values. That is why they are revered.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Vanessa Amethyst said:

No I don't believe that the symbols of the CSA belong in the town square I do feel its wrong to remove them from the cemetery the grave yard is a place where people hold sacred to the memory of there love ones anything placed there was not out of come campaign of fear or whatever but as a place of memory and What better place to remember bad ideas than a place where the dead are remembered.  and no matter what the person below ground felt we need to retain our humanity and remember respect the persons intured purely out of the fact that they were human. 

and thus my pet peeve is displayed here Something that was purely done to RESPECT THE DEAD has become political. note both the US flag and the other were knocked over likely by the wind if you see something knocked over in a grave yard it is simply respectful to place it upright. it is not a place to let your political feelings get in the way. 

I understand your point but I think few dead Nazis in Germany have Nazi symbols on their graves. There might be other things they did to earn respect but being a Nazi was not among them. 

• Like 1

Just now, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Yes.

But that after all is merely a footnote. Imperialism defaced most of the surface of the globe.

It might be a footnote to you, but it is a scared place to the indigenous peoples of the US that was defaced against our will. That sacredness of the place will not change but the beauty and serenity of the mountain, which are an integral part of its sacredness, are forever lost. 

Imperialism my ass, it was humans. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

It might be a footnote to you, but it is a scared place to the indigenous peoples of the US that was defaced against our will. That sacredness of the place will not change but the beauty and serenity of the mountain, which are an integral part of its sacredness, are forever lost. 

Imperialism my ass, it was humans. 

Not quite what I was getting at, Silent. Mount Rushmore is indeed important -- but it's just one of hundreds of thousands sites, customs, ways of living, and so on that have been destroyed, co-opted, or otherwise vandalized. That's not to reduce the significance of this particular manifestation of colonialism: it's rather to contextualize it.

And, sadly, imperialism is "humans." It's what we, and we alone, do.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Not quite what I was getting at, Silent. Mount Rushmore is indeed important -- but it's just one of hundreds of thousands sites, customs, ways of living, and so on that have been destroyed, co-opted, or otherwise vandalized. That's not to reduce the significance of this particular manifestation of colonialism: it's rather to contextualize it.

And, sadly, imperialism is "humans." It's what we, and we alone, do.

Sometimes you need to dig deeper.

I don't disagree but this kind of thing was going on long before there was any such thing as imperialism. 

Lots of sacred sites in the middle East have been completely destroyed in recent years. Imperialism wasn't the cause. Religious fanaticism was.

It all boils down to [some] humans lacking empathy and compassion.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

BACK TO THE TOPIC OF PEEVES:

I have to go buy a new coat, because my old one no longer fits.................... because COVID.

It is a good thing that I don't have to go to the office these days, because most of my office clothing doesn't fit either.

*sigh*

Ah. The "Covid 15."

A little noticed, but remarkably common side effect of the disease . . . sort of.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

...honouring men whose main achievement was killing, maiming, or breaking the will of as many of "the enemy" as possible isn't really terribly appropriate.

I find this a really disturbing statement. 

These people lived in a different time, with different social norms and beliefs, some of which may be abhorrent to us today, but I believe we have no right to judge them for it, but to learn and grow from their mistakes and as @Vanessa Amethyst said, not be doomed to repeat it.  

A present day example - right now many people are being vilified and losing their jobs and livelihoods through shutdowns, vaccine mandates etc.  Only time will tell if these steps were on the side of the angels or not.  Will history look back at our leaders for forcing these measures and "breaking the will" of the people fondly, or as the monsters (speaking for myself here) I believe some of them are?  

As I saw someone (forget who) say recently, tell me how tearing down these statues has improved YOUR life...

My peeve...the vitriol probably heading my way from saying the above.  Back to rolling down my hill in my big bubble of oblivion!

WelllitAcademicBuckeyebutterfly-max-1mb.gif.9778fea7cdb87ffe45e6090f6df4c61f.gif

• Like 3