First there were hunts that didn't cost anything to get the hunt item.

Then there were hunts that cost L$1-3 for the hunt item -- no big deal, but can be rough for super new accounts.

Then there were the hunts where creators could opt to have a 25L item instead of the L$0-3 item.

Now there are hunts that let the creators opt for a 50L item as the hunt "prize".   

*sigh*

• Like 3

Come play this game specifically intended to make you spend time on our land, exploring and looking for a prize.

Firestorm adds area search, a brute force bludgeon of a tool to find the hidden item as fast as possible.

Hunts now start placing objects in objects, under the ground to try and make it take longer.

Hunts are now just regular shopping with extra steps that can be completed from the landing point.

People get aggressive when I explain that, no, we won't be adding the brute force region hammer otherwise known as area search to Catznip, and get incensed when it's even suggested that cheating at hunts might even exist ... yet weirdly, don't ever have a use case not covered by the tool we do provide for locating your own things on your own land.

Not as aggressive as those wanting to hide their lookat and see everyone else's, those charming and friendly people will find me on discord for a good old fashion yelling session.

</rant>

I used to love hunts. Remember doing one on Mo Noel's land for multi colored versions of her bane helmet. I miss Mo.

• Like 3

Pet Peeve 1060: People who think Meta had the first "meta-verse."

Pet Peeve 1060a: Same peeps that call you a liar when you say SL preceded Meta by least 2 decades.

Bonus: The deer in the headlight look when you show them SL and they notice the toons have legs! :D

Edited by Kimmi Zehetbauer
Mboard tossing errors.
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Come play this game specifically intended to make you spend time on our land, exploring and looking for a prize.

Firestorm adds area search, a brute force bludgeon of a tool to find the hidden item as fast as possible.

Hunts now start placing objects in objects, under the ground to try and make it take longer.

Hunts are now just regular shopping with extra steps that can be completed from the landing point.

People get aggressive when I explain that, no, we won't be adding the brute force region hammer otherwise known as area search to Catznip, and get incensed when it's even suggested that cheating at hunts might even exist ... yet weirdly, don't ever have a use case not covered by the tool we do provide for locating your own things on your own land.

Not as aggressive as those wanting to hide their lookat and see everyone else's, those charming and friendly people will find me on discord for a good old fashion yelling session.

</rant>

I used to love hunts. Remember doing one on Mo Noel's land for multi colored versions of her bane helmet. I miss Mo.

OMG, I used to love the hunts that were set up like murder mysteries and were really interactive.. some were so well done.. Those were so addictive.. Now you never see any good things like that anymore..

You could actually do the contest for the first person to solve the crime or mystery and they would get like so much lindens.. Those days are over now.

Ya the first day I seen area search, I was like, there go the hunts and any kind of mystery games now..

I use it for things like finding stuff in a store when I'm shopping.. But if I do any hunts, I can't join a group or  look too much at chat because people are telling everyone where stuff is or where clues are and stuff..

I also didn't use area search because for some reason I thought I would get kicked or banned for cheating or something like.. I just naturally thought I was gonna get in some kind of trouble..  hehehehe

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

OMG, I used to love the hunts that were set up like murder mysteries and were really interactive.. some were so well done.. Those were so addictive.. Now you never see any good things like that anymore..

You could actually do the contest for the first person to solve the crime or mystery and they would get like so much lindens.. Those days are over now.

Ya the first day I seen area search, I was like, there go the hunts and any kind of mystery games now..

I use it for things like finding stuff in a store when I'm shopping.. But if I do any hunts, I can't join a group or  look too much at chat because people are telling everyone where stuff is or where clues are and stuff..

I also didn't use area search because for some reason I thought I would get kicked or banned for cheating or something like.. I just naturally thought I was gonna get in some kind of trouble..  hehehehe

If Buzzfeed were to write an article shilling for Firestorm, their click-bait link would be like:

Hunt organizers HATE them!! This one weird trick makes finding hidden prizes easier and faster!

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Eddy Vortex said:

If Buzzfeed were to write an article shilling for Firestorm, their click-bait link would be like:

Hunt organizers HATE them!! This one weird trick makes finding hidden prizes easier and faster!

I guess if you use it it does.. hehehe

It doesn't really take a lot of effort to not use it.. 

I would think there has to be a way to hide what they are..like not naming them hunt item or link them to a patch of grass that is sitting on the other grass and name it grass but still able to give the item..

If it's sitting on a sidewalk then texture something to look like the sidewalk and link the hunt item to it name it sidewalk but still clickable to get the hunt item..

hehehe

38 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:
1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Peeve: Finally having to write class destructors for my LSL project..but in "real life" I rarely need them!

But what does it all do ??????

This "proof-of-concept" is just a "guessing game".  I need destructors to send linked messages to the Listener script, so it removes the listeners and deletes the listener keys from LSD.  That way, only the "active" keys are in Linkset Data.. and if I "reload" a snapshot the LSD, the loader can re-run the original linked messages, re-create the listeners, and start the game where it left off. Without the "program code" doing anything.

It does "generic things".  

Today I worked on rezzing and attaching a "Blank Save Disk HUD" so it can copy and save the Linkset Data.  

Peeve: You can't give a HUD TO anything, but at least detaching it will save it in your actual Inventory.

2 hours ago, Love Zhaoying said:

At least they're keeping it light, not getting all butthurt over, I dunno, murder and stuffs! Lulz 

Not butt hurt in the slightest.. There is a big difference from noticing something and butt hurt by something..

The whole grid could crash for good tomorrow and a day later I'd be wasting time somewhere else.. hehehe

First Life isn't fair and neither is Second Life so I'll use whatever I can to get a leg up, including area search and hiding my lookats while seeing everyone else's (who isn't hiding them). I will not apologize for these things. But anyway area search is easily foiled, so its primary use for me is finding items in badly organized shops. Now there's a peeve! Have some kind of organizing principle if you're a big shop, please.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Ezbeharra said:

But anyway area search is easily foiled, so its primary use for me is finding items in badly organized shops. Now there's a peeve! Have some kind of organizing principle if you're a big shop, please.

It is. I really dislike any kinds of hunts, so over the years I did 3, perhaps 4 of them in total when I really wanted one of the prizes, which I'd rather just buy anyway. And all of them had rather easy, but effective methods used against area search, including renamed objects owned by the same avatar as the rest of rezzed stuff, a certain amount of fake objects, or the prizes being hidden inside pieces of decoration/landscape that already had "regular" names as is. Given how those hunt regions/locations were setup already, it wasn't even that much of an extra efforts to hide them for the hunt's creators.

But some people sure do love to point fingers and whine "But muh immersion!" on such things, for years.

And yeah, some stores really make it nearly impossible to find anything, when new releases might be all over the place without any system whatsoever, so area search is pretty much required unless someone enjoys spending up to an hours (assuming the store exists for a number of years and releases new things every now and then) looking for what they want. And sometimes that something is just not there to begin with.

And that's also a big peeve of mine. In fact I do know some creators who are especially awful about that, to the point that if you miss their event release, then you can expect it to show at their mainstores from a few months later to pretty much never. Something I just don't understand. They've created an item, did all the rigging/texturing/packing/ads/vendors. All what is left to do after an event ends is to just move it from the event to your mainstore, perhaps reconfigure vendors a bit if there's some mainstore group discounts and what not, done. And then it's a passive income for them, since all work is done already, but nope.

Edited by steeljane42
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Oh .. it's one of those projects.

(hides half the plywood cubes under her home)

*knocks* Hey, neighbor! Can I borrow a couple of plywood cubes for a scripting project? Peeve: Sorry, I can't quite see you, my display is covered with plywood test HUD's.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

And that's also a big peeve of mine. In fact I do know some creators who are especially awful about that, to the point that if you miss their event release, then you can expect it to show at their mainstores from a few months later to pretty much never.

They..gotcha!

9531FA66-6E86-48C6-8BD4-8EED8DECE722.jpeg

3 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Peeve:  Folks posting the same picture in multiple picture threads.  To me, that is no different than spamming multiple threads with any other 'same post'. 

Pretty sure they do it just to rack up more Likes.

And be sure to add info no one needs nor cares about since we already know more than we'd like.  😁

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

21 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Peeve:  Folks posting the same picture in multiple picture threads.  To me, that is no different than spamming multiple threads with any other 'same post'. 

Pretty sure they do it just to rack up more Likes.

Oy. My tongue is practically chewed up from holding back. One stint in forum jail was enough after criticizing that one person who keeps necroing a thread everyone else has abandoned. I don't want jail time again. lol

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1