On 1/8/2023 at 5:07 AM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: The constant discrimination (regardless of intent) in SL against those of us who are deaf or have hearing loss. Requiring voice is discrimination against us even if you never intended it to be. Yes, I'm aware there are those who simply don't care. That's the problem with humans and another peeve. People don't care unless it happens to them or someone they care about. Just think, if they had actually cared to begin with, there might already be a cure because they would have likely been at least some small part of that journey. Sort of like being part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

Agreed. I have participated in some communities within SL that are meant to be welcoming to all who share a particular interest, and what do you know, you go to the venue and everyone is using voice and nobody is typing in local chat. My dad is deaf, and I have a mild to moderate hearing loss that makes it hard for me to hear what people are saying if I can't see them, or if there is background noise. I like that SL is primarily text based and I feel excluded if conversations are carried out using only voice. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 hours ago, Stephanie Misfit said:

Agreed. I have participated in some communities within SL that are meant to be welcoming to all who share a particular interest, and what do you know, you go to the venue and everyone is using voice and nobody is typing in local chat. My dad is deaf, and I have a mild to moderate hearing loss that makes it hard for me to hear what people are saying if I can't see them, or if there is background noise. I like that SL is primarily text based and I feel excluded if conversations are carried out using only voice. 

Same .. My hearing is shot. 30% on one side .. sometimes more sometimes less on the other. Stand on the wrong side of me IRL and I wont hear a word you say.

I can just about manage the odd Linden meeting on voice because only one person at a time is speaking. Voice locations in SL with chatter and banter are a noisy mess that puts me on edge and triggers my anxiety, even if I can't pick out what's being said.

For everyone with perfectly acceptable hearing, It's not just hard to understand or follow because people are quiet. That's not how hearing loss affects me. It's actually exhausting, high stress and bad for my mental health.

For added irony. My avatar is often seen with 4 ears (human & bunny).

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

On 1/8/2023 at 7:42 PM, Orwar said:

You're entitled to your peeve and all that, but I think it's kind of meh to pull the discrimination card on people wanting to do projects based on auditory media. Perhaps we should shut down the entirety of the forums, as well as SL itself, because it's inaccessible to the blind? 

Actually, most blind/visually impared folk use screenreaders or other devices to use fourms and other internet based dodads so that probably isn't the best comparison.

To keep things on topic:

Peeve:

When you accidentally delete your slybox mid editing and plumet back to ground level..

Edited by Robin Kiyori
  • Like 6

On 1/5/2023 at 4:37 PM, Dafadilia Wayfarer said:

Tooth abscesses. Thankfully, waiting for treatment now, but just tooth abscesses. They are that one pet peeve for me.

*raises hand* Yah, I feel your pain. Probably literally. My year started really great with a sudden overnight tooth abscess last Thursday. My dentist panicked and sent me straight to the ER. Not fun.

On 1/7/2023 at 7:07 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

Peeve: The constant discrimination (regardless of intent) in SL against those of us who are deaf or have hearing loss. Requiring voice is discrimination against us even if you never intended it to be. Yes, I'm aware there are those who simply don't care. That's the problem with humans and another peeve. People don't care unless it happens to them or someone they care about. Just think, if they had actually cared to begin with, there might already be a cure because they would have likely been at least some small part of that journey. Sort of like being part of the solution rather than part of the problem.

I'm on the opposite end of this. I can hear nigh on perfectly - but I've got no voice. Unless you count Wookie noises. RAAAARRGHHAAARRGGGGGGGG. That's me for "bloody hell, i stubbed my toe", by the way. To me, the increased demand of voice chat is... whatever. Discrimination, yah. Especially in cases where it just ain't needed. Yup. Annoying but it's their loss.

However with the increased demand there's also an increased amount of vitriol. That's where my personal pet peeve sits. People turn abusive and angry when I tell them I can't voice. I'm not dumb: I know why. I'm a woman. They get their hopes up. Being mute has got to be the #1 Catfish Trick.

But bloody hell - I would have some sympathy if I didn't tell anyone that even remotely looked at me with eyes of adoration that I have got zero point nope interest in anything romantic whatsoever. There's just never a right point and time to address it either. Right from the go? Abuse comes anyway. Tell later because my disability is not exactly something I want to use as a can opener? Abuse anyway. It's tiring.

This whole idiotic cult movement of self declared catfish inspectors is just one massive pile of paranoid, pathologically lonely, over eager, overbearing chuckletrucks.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 5

37 minutes ago, ValKalAstra said:

This whole idiotic cult movement of self declared catfish inspectors is just one massive pile of paranoid, pathologically lonely, over eager, overbearing chuckletrucks.

I like guys, I miss dating guys in SL, but that there is exactly why I don't (and can count the number of "guy friends" I have on one hand). If it makes you feel at all better, know it's not just you or anything to do with you at all. It's not even about voice.

Voice is just the wedge used to force someone into stepping out of their comfort zone and the abuse continues in the quest for *****ty selfies and negative attention based emotional dependence.

Thankfully being Bi presents the option to simply not date guys at all. I have never had that kind of 💩 show from anyone who identified female or enby off screen.

and yes .. I know .. not ALL GUYS .. 

The point is it's happened to me enough here exclusively from guys that things have to be pretty damn magical for me to even consider taking the chance, which because I am unable to get involved without some level of emotional context / have really terrible taste in men, simply means I don't.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Actually, most blind/visually impared folk use screenreaders or other devices to use fourms and other internet based dodads so that probably isn't the best comparison.

To keep things on topic:

Peeve:

.. the lack of accessibility in the SL client is a valid and huge on topic peeve.

We looked at trying to do something with Catznip, but it's too large of an undertaking for us with the limited time we have. Mentioned it at LL dev meeting  .. and honestly don't think they will do anything, ever. It's not just screen reader support.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 1/7/2023 at 6:07 PM, Silent Mistwalker said:

I agree with this whole heartedly. I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated. I feel that too when important events are in voice and I can't take part in that conversation especially when it has to do with the SL community, etc. It produces a feeling of alienation. It is frustrating. I had to come to some difficult decisions because of that.

I'm deaf and I can't change that. What I can do is actively choose to not attend events that are in voice where I know I cannot take part. Those places don't need me to show them support.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

I'm in love with this sentence!  Such a good description of this sl phenomena that sadly so many of us have experienced.  "I want sex so bad but I'm homophobic and I've just got to make sure the cartoon I'm having sex with is the right gender and if she won't voice to prove she's a woman, that must mean she's really a man who wants to trick me so that justifies my attacking anyone who won't voice", Such warped logic. 

Also the main reason why I refuse to voice.  Who wants to have sex with a chuckletruck?

Edited by kali Wylder
typo
  • Like 9

10 hours ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Peeve:

When you accidentally delete your slybox mid editing and plumet back to ground level..

Just the other day I was standing on my skypad rezzing and unpacking boxes.  Went to delete a box, which always gives me a confirmation, but instead I click on the skypad itself.  That gave me the 'are you sure cuz this object is locked' message, which I did not read and assumed was the typical delete confirmation.  Next thing I know I am flailing like an idiot as I plummet downward.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Just the other day I was standing on my skypad rezzing and unpacking boxes.  Went to delete a box, which always gives me a confirmation, but instead I click on the skypad itself.  That gave me the 'are you sure cuz this object is locked' message, which I did not read and assumed was the typical delete confirmation.  Next thing I know I am flailing like an idiot as I plummet downward.

LOL!

guilty 😏

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kali Wylder said:

I'm in love with this sentence!  Such a good description of this sl phenomena that sadly so many of us have experienced.  "I want sex so bad but I'm homophobic and I've just got to make sure the cartoon I'm having sex with is the right gender and if she won't voice to prove she's a woman, that must mean she's really a man who wants to trick me so that justifies my attacking anyone who won't voice", Such warped logic. 

Also the main reason why I refuse to voice.  Who wants to have sex with a chuckletruck?

I really love the part where they are the one that  tried to get you to do that with them in the first place.. While still not agreeing to go along with it they still feel the need to pry and try to talk you into something while giving the 3rd degree..

Then when it's all said and done and they know they aren't getting anywhere, it's because there is something wrong with us.. LOL

ETA: Oh ya and, ChuckleTrucks is an amazing word..  hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I always have an extra stretched prim locked a few centimeters under my sky platform.
I learned that lesson over the years by falling down on a regular basis.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

You know what I hate is, when I'm moving something and a tiny little bit of lag happens.. I swear sometimes it's like a slingshot when that pause happens and the thing goes shooting to the other end of the region..

The first few times I was like, Where the hell did it go!! \o/

Now I just know I have to go and find it..

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You know what I hate is, when I'm moving something and a tiny little bit of lag happens.. I swear sometimes it's like a slingshot when that pause happens and the thing goes shooting to the other end of the region..

The first few times I was like, Where the hell did it go!! \o/

Now I just know I have to go and find it..

This was happening to me a LOT over the last few months. I don't know what's causing it, but I only ever see lag when I'm trying to decorate. Not sure if it's like this everywhere or if it's just my own home region, but man is it annoying. Always a pause when trying to drag something into place. Grrr.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

This was happening to me a LOT over the last few months. I don't know what's causing it, but I only ever see lag when I'm trying to decorate. Not sure if it's like this everywhere or if it's just my own home region, but man is it annoying. Always a pause when trying to drag something into place. Grrr.

I noticed it with the latest FS update 6.6.3 (67470) that a lot of people were saying they couldn't move in..

I didn't notice too much difference other than slingshot edit tools.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

I always have an extra stretched prim locked a few centimeters under my sky platform.
I learned that lesson over the years by falling down on a regular basis.

I have multiple sky platforms over my parcel, at varying heights, but I still end up flailing for some-odd meters until I manage to hit Fly.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I have multiple sky platforms over my parcel, at varying heights, but I still end up flailing for some-odd meters until I manage to hit Fly.

You can lock your avatar's position whilst unboxing stuff, that way if the platform poofs you won't fall .. (Ctrl + Alt + P in FS)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Orwar said:

You can lock your avatar's position whilst unboxing stuff, that way if the platform poofs you won't fall .. (Ctrl + Alt + P in FS)

Ohhh - Once upon a time, I knew that.  I then didn't use it for a long time and forgot.  Thanks for the reminder.

9 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

Avoided entirely by being honest in my profile.

Peeve? Being honest in my profile leaves me dancing alone at the formal (mostly hetero-normative) dance places.

Peeve. Can't win. :)

Still, prefer to avoid the "paranoid, pathologically lonely, over eager, overbearing chuckletrucks" so ... dancing we go!

And per a previous poster ... who hasn't accidentally deleted an entire building/home leaving only your furniture and belongings floating in mid-air, leaving you to re-rezz the thing and move it over in 1mm increments for the next 30 minutes so everything is back in the exact same spot with all the shadows showing on the floor.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

And per a previous poster ... who hasn't accidentally deleted an entire building/home leaving only your furniture and belongings floating in mid-air, leaving you to re-rezz the thing and move it over in 1mm increments for the next 30 minutes so everything is back in the exact same spot with all the shadows showing on the floor.

This is why I always put the exact coordinates for my skyboxes in my notepad (and usually snap it to the grid).

.. It's just too bad I never remember where in the notepad I put it, I got way too many scrap notes around!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

This is why I always put the exact coordinates for my skyboxes in my notepad (and usually snap it to the grid).

.. It's just too bad I never remember where in the notepad I put it, I got way too many scrap notes around!

I used to record it - and then forget where I recorded it.  

I started recording the coordinates in the Description of the skybox and then I do a Take Copy and put that in my Home folder

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

32 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I save it in a notecard in a folder related to the land or the skybox in my inventory.

• Like 2

If it happens often enough, a simple script to store the position of the platform and restore it when rezzed would be the easiest solution.   No need to keep track of it this way, just toss in a script click the object to store the position, save a copy of the object, then rez it whenever you goof up.  

I haven't tried this one, but it is on the marketplace and appears to do all of the work for you

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Position-Script-Object-Positioner-Script-V1/13490702

I would prefer the script to be deleted after positioning the object back to its rightful place though.  

• Like 2