58 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

Happy New Year, etc. etc. yada and yada to everyone still here (except that one guy, over there) and to a few people not still here.

In case it hasn't been said for a while, it needs to be reiterated. Peeve: People.

There, that should hold up for a while.

image.thumb.png.e636997059c07623bd99278bbcbb48ba.png

I said I was sorry!

Twice! 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

TV / Streaming / etc.. packages in general.  It is all designed to continually confuse us and get more money out of us at every blink of the eye.

That's for sure. Remember back in the Dark Ages? There were three TV channels, and they all were ad-supported and free to watch. We complained that the networks kept increasing the air time for ads, and decreasing the time for actual content, but still, it was free.

Then came cable TV. What was the big selling point? NO ADS! In return for your monthly fee, you'd get ad-free television.

That didn't last long, did it? Not only did the monthly prices go up, the ads came back.

So we got Streaming Services! Better content! Better Quality! Much lower fees! No ads! Cut the cable, use the web like the Cool Kids. But you needed three or four or five services to get the content you wanted. And the low low fees kept rising. And the ads crept back in.

Now some rebels are suggesting we dump the streaming services, buy TV antennas and get that good old FREE over the air TV instead.

We've come full circle.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Now some rebels are suggesting we dump the streaming services, buy TV antennas and get that good old FREE over the air TV instead.

Closest thing I get to adverts are when someone has inserted their tag into the subtitle track. "Originally shared by 1337PirateBoiKawaiiKing69". It's good though, reminds me to switch off the subtitles (I'm sure there's a setting to have them off by default in VLC, but I've also been postponing it updating for about half a decade every time I run it - soo, yeah, that's not happening!).

Oh and occasionally they'll have a little JPEG of their stylised tags in the contents folder. Which, I mean, if they put that much effort into virtual graffiti, they kind of have to, no?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

But..but..but..the new Star Trek shows are only on the Streaming service!! *pout*

They have some really really good tv antennas now, that you can pick up a lot of  good channels.. Even pay channels too if you wanted to get those.. Some pick up for a lot of miles away..

Right now you have to have internet for everything and while they limit your bandwidth.. The Antennas you don't need internet and get a lot of things with it..  My sister has a really nice one and you would think it was satellite or internet or cable or something like that.. They get a lot of stuff on theirs..

We've been thinking about something like that also, because  we're getting tired of the internet being hooked up to so much different stuff in our house.

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

They have some really really good tv antennas now, that you can pick up a lot of  good channels.. Even pay channels too if you wanted to get those.. Some pick up for a lot of miles away..

Right now you have to have internet for everything and while they limit your bandwidth.. The Antennas you don't need internet and get a lot of things with it..  My sister has a really nice one and you would think it was satellite or internet or cable or something like that.. They get a lot of stuff on theirs..

We've been thinking about something like that also, because  we're getting tired of the internet being hooked up to so much different stuff in our house.

In this case, literally..new Star Trek shows "Picard" and "Discovery" are only on the Paramount+ Streaming service.  Not broadcast over the air (which would be on CBS if it were broadcast).

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

When TV stations switched from an analogue to digital signal, I put a digital converter with a booster on the line of the old "analogue" fringe range antenna and started receiving 50 or so snow free digital channels from it mounted on a 40 foot tower. More channels then basic cable for free without even having to buy one of the new "digital antenna's"

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

In this case, literally..new Star Trek shows "Picard" and "Discovery" are only on the Paramount+ Streaming service.  Not broadcast over the air (which would be on CBS if it were broadcast).

Ya, We really don't have any shows that we have to keep up to date with really.. We just kind of see what's on and go from there..

We have most of our movies we like  stored to where we can put those on and some different series.. I'm just tired of, internet phone ,internet tv, internet computer, internet whatever else.. We just want to get it down to a couple of things, like it used to be.. hehehe

• Like 1

On 1/3/2023 at 4:40 PM, kali Wylder said:

I have a new SL peeve.  Premium renewal practices.  Last year, despite my best intentions, I wound up paying for another year of premium on one of my alts when I didn't make the change before the renewal date.  This year I made the change to basic a month early and now I can't play game of homes for the rest of the month until my premium runs out.  Technically, my alt is still premium for another month, why can't she have a linden home?

It feels like a contract breach from the side of LL, doesn't it?
Although it is in their terms.
Normally subscriptions continue until the last day: newspapers, streaming services, car maintenance you name it, but not for LL.  😡

This kind of behavior against consumers, would not stand a chance in a European court, I don't know how far consumer protection goes in the US and of course the amount of money involved is to low to start a law suit over it. So the Lab gets away with it.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

On 1/3/2023 at 11:48 AM, Ceka Cianci said:

when does it tell you  that you can't have one?  Is it right after you click the button to look at linden homes in your dashboard?

I downgraded my alt  like a month after I paid my premium for that one,for a couple of reasons, but also just so it wouldn't sneak up on me this year.. hehehehe

Maybe they've changed it since you did that.  They wouldn't let me downgrade until I released my land and now I have no look at Linden homes button on my dashboard since I completed the downgrade.

• Thanks 1

Kali Wylder asked:

I have a new SL peeve.  Premium renewal practices.  Last year, despite my best intentions, I wound up paying for another year of premium on one of my alts when I didn't make the change before the renewal date.  This year I made the change to basic a month early and now I can't play game of homes for the rest of the month until my premium runs out.  Technically, my alt is still premium for another month, why can't she have a linden home?

It's been like that for ages. Your Premium membership is prepaid, so if you decide to go back to Basic you retain all Premium benefits until the end of the period that you paid for.  Your account status simply shows as Pending Downgrade.  The sole exception is described in a brightly-highlighted spot in the discussion of Premium accounts in the Knowledge Base:

⚠️

Only Plus, Premium, and Premium Plus accounts can own land on the Second Life mainland, so you must sell or abandon any mainland holdings in your avatar’s name prior to downgrading to a Basic account. You may also wish to check your group land contributions and make arrangements to ensure others in your group are contributing land allowance to support any land the group might own. If you’re not sure how to do this, please contact our support team for assistance.

The reason for that exception, I assume, is that contracts for land fees usually extend over a time period different from your Premium membership. That is, you might otherwise own a Mainland parcel and pay for a month's worth of tier days before your Premium membership downgrades.  If so, you'd have land after downgrading that you paid for while you were Premium. While it might be easy enough for LL to give you a refund for the prorated tier, it's a bit of an accounting nuisance (which is largely why the TOS says that LL does not generally give refunds).  In any case, you are informed of this exception when you become a Premium member (although you might not read it), so the exception should not be a surprise.  That's why most of us who see this question in the forums usually advise people to wait to downgrade until a few days before their Premium membership is due to renew.

Edited by Rolig Loon
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It simply are 2 things in my book:
1. Charging a customer for a product they ain't delivering.
2. Trying to lure customers into another recurring payment, because LL hopes that they forget to act on the last days of the agreement to keep what they have payed for until the last day.

But LL will have the fine print juggled up so it will hold in an US court I guess, if someone ever decides to through thousands of legal fees at it to get a few dollars back.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

Maybe they've changed it since you did that.  They wouldn't let me downgrade until I released my land and now I have no look at Linden homes button on my dashboard since I completed the downgrade.

I was just curious.. I didn't ever have  mainland or any linden land  when I downgraded that account..  I actually went and looked on that account when I seen your post and was curious if it came up after clicking that button..

Maybe it's that you have to have a certain amount of time left before  the subscription is due to be able to get the option?  they may cut me off on that account when I get a lot closer..

10 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

It simply are 2 things in my book:
1. Charging a customer for a product they ain't delivering.
2. Trying to "swindle" customers in another recurring payment, because LL hopes that they forget to act on the last days of the agreement to keep what they have payed for until the last day.

But LL will have the fine print juggled up so it will hold in an US court I guess, if someone ever decides to through thousands of legal fees at it to get a few dollars back.

My alt's premium, I downgraded like a month after, just so that wouldn't happen to me.. I don't mind it for this account, but my alts are much easier to forget about and I may just not want it for them by that time.. This one I always want to stay, especially now  that I have a linden home on it..

43 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Kali Wylder asked:

It's been like that for ages. Your Premium membership is prepaid, so if you decide to go back to Basic you retain all Premium benefits until the end of the period that you paid for.  Your account status simply shows as Pending Downgrade.  The sole exception is described in a brightly-highlighted spot in the discussion of Premium accounts in the Knowledge Base:

⚠️

Only Plus, Premium, and Premium Plus accounts can own land on the Second Life mainland, so you must sell or abandon any mainland holdings in your avatar’s name prior to downgrading to a Basic account. You may also wish to check your group land contributions and make arrangements to ensure others in your group are contributing land allowance to support any land the group might own. If you’re not sure how to do this, please contact our support team for assistance.

The reason for that exception, I assume, is that contracts for land fees usually extend over a time period different from your Premium membership. That is, you might otherwise own a Mainland parcel and pay for a month's worth of tier days before your Premium membership downgrades.  If so, you'd have land after downgrading that you paid for while you were Premium. While it might be easy enough for LL to give you a refund for the prorated tier, it's a bit of an accounting nuisance (which is largely why the TOS says that LL does not generally give refunds).  In any case, you are informed of this exception when you become a Premium member (although you might not read it), so the exception should not be a surprise.  That's why most of us who see this question in the forums usually advise people to wait to downgrade until a few days before their Premium membership is due to renew.

So..was I right? You have to sell/abandon your land before downgrading?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kali Wylder said:

Happened to me also. Exactly that.
You can however reverse your downgrade and then get a home again. But you have to be careful to go back to a basic account in time before the renewal.
So this time I have the date of renewal marked up in my agenda. April 18.

As I already said they wouldn't stand a chance in an European court with this unreasonable construction in their advantage.

Edited by Sid Nagy

12 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

We've come full circle.

We did that when we bought this place. Digital antennas are no better than analog antenna were if you don't live in a "heavy" population area. You get more channels today than we did 50 - 60 years ago but the signal still fades in and out and you still have to rescan once a month hoping you'll get back the channels you lost when the season/weather changes.

Peeved: Because the channels I keep losing are pretty much the only ones I watch! 🤬

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Peeve 134: Many of your favourite streams in world gone poof!

Peeve 134a: Your favourite RL radio station signing off the air with a message on their carrier saying for example "Rock 100 is now only on your mobile and/or smart speaker."

I lost interest in listening to the radio just before they started trying to force people to pay to listen. I could see what was coming down the pipeline and didn't want any part of it. Couldn't/can't afford it anyway.

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

We did that when we bought this place. Digital antennas are no better than analog antenna were if you don't live in a "heavy" population area. You get more channels today than we did 50 - 60 years ago but the signal still fades in and out and you still have to rescan once a month hoping you'll get back the channels you lost when the season/weather changes.

Peeved: Because the channels I keep losing are pretty much the only ones I watch! 🤬

A peeve is them marketing an antenna as a digital antenna.  One f the TVs we have runs off an 50 year old set of rabbit ears and gets a decent picture. Antenna are antennas.  Sometimes in SL you'll also see houses sometimes that have old school aerials on top of them.

• Confused 1