1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

More pet pet peeves  ?

RAMDOM CAT BARF

Breakfast in .. Happy Cat .. Sneaks into the bedroom and starts retching .. Wakes my SO up in a adrenalin fueled panic to stop her pukin on something important .. Sad cat in cat jail .. Frazzled SO and a huge mess

No hairballs or anything. 

Even worse is stepping in that strategically placed pile you didn't see because it's on the oriental rug and kind of blends in.  Cat food, cat spit all up between your toes.  Such a great way to wake up.  😒

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Peeve #541: Tried to stay in a hotel recently and couldn't stay due to their systems. The guest room doors are only set up for use with a smart phone and couldn't stay.  Went to desk to inquire about key cards, the clerk said there is none and the app was the only way. When I showed my flip phone she busted up laughing and got the manager down, who also laughed.  We told them we booked it online and there was no indication phone was required. 

After a heated discussion we got refunded and left. We did find another hotel about a km down the road and got a room.  Even had a convo with the desk clerk there and he said the hotel we tried at was highly geared to millennials (or those who have the phone permanently glued to them) and not old farts like us.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4

57 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Gah !!!

I know it's region restart day. 

But why does it have to restart just as I'm getting into my groove and being productive.

We need a button "BUT MOOOM 5 MORE MINUTES PLEASE"

My home is still offline .. all the other regions around here and gone down and come up .. but not mine .. I have to sit here and stare into the void waiting for it to come back before I can do anything else, even things away from the computer that I really need to be doing.

• Sad 2

@Love Zhaoyingand @Ardy Lay's conversation about "matrices" in the Laugh thread pokes at one of my pet peeves.  I know it's like trying to stop the tide at this point, but I still get quietly annoyed by people who don't recognize some plurals when they use them.  DATA and MEDIA are plurals, guys!  

"The data are inconclusive", not "The data is inconclusive."

"News media are mostly electronic these days", not "News media is mostly electronic these days."

Our language isn't going to hell in a handbasket, but little things like this make me wonder whether people would notice if it did. ;) 

\end_peeve

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

@Love Zhaoyingand @Ardy Lay's conversation about "matrices" in the Laugh thread pokes at one of my pet peeves.  I know it's like trying to stop the tide at this point, but I still get quietly annoyed by people who don't recognize some plurals when they use them.  DATA and MEDIA are plurals, guys!  

"News media are mostly electronic these days", not "News media is mostly electronic these days."

Our language isn't going to hell in a handbasket, but little things like this make me wonder whether people would notice if it did. ;) 

\end_peeve

Well, the BBC website has betrayed a certain slipping of standards for some time now.  I admit to being peeved when I saw that one of their staff does not know the difference between 'inequity' and 'iniquity'.

• Like 3

My favourite kilts come with two pairs of buttons on either side to close it. I had to resort to putting the first buttons in the second holes to tighten it for a while, but now it's just nowhere near. My belt still holds it up, but the inner 'flap' of the kilt frequently just falls off since there button is just loosely sitting in the hole. The way my clothes are kind of half falling off makes me feel rather indecent at times.

I'm also not about to start wearing trousers in ~25-30C. 

I'm peeved. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

\end_peeve

I think "Data" from ST:TNG should have been called "Datum".

We need to make "Datum" cool.

"Could you please send me the datum?"

"I question your use of that datum in this context."

If "media" is plural for "medium", is "largeum" singular for "large"?

6 minutes ago, Orwar said:

My favourite kilts come with two pairs of buttons on either side to close it. I had to resort to putting the first buttons in the second holes to tighten it for a while, but now it's just nowhere near. My belt still holds it up, but the inner 'flap' of the kilt frequently just falls off since there button is just loosely sitting in the hole. The way my clothes are kind of half falling off makes me feel rather indecent at times.

I'm also not about to start wearing trousers in ~25-30C. 

I'm peeved. 

No Velcro kilts?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

No Velcro kilts?

I uh, don't think I'd want to run around in a Velcro kilt. Especially not with how my keychain, lanyard, decorative chains, padlocks, and chainmail I usually wear have a tendency to get stuck on stuff so that I occasionally almost rip half the kitchen with me as I saunter through it. It'd be terribly embarrassing if you got off a flip-seat on the bus and the kilt got stuck! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

\end_peeve

And the plural of octopus (a Greek word) is octopuses or octopods, not octopi. Don't add a Latin pluralizing ending to a Greek word.

And do NOT get me started on pronouncing the word kilometre. The stress is KILO and not OM, like in CENTImetre and MILLImetre. Those aren't pronounced cenTIMetre and milLIMetre, don't pronounce kilometre like that. It does NOT sound like barometer ... the ending is even spelled different! Bloody heathens.

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

\end_peeve

If data and media are plural, what are the singulars, please?

*runs away and hides

• Haha 1

The pettiest of peeves

When objects don't keep their XYZ modifications and rotations, size, etc. until after you detach them. 

I'll fidget something to death, then either

1. Crash

2. Realize I need another, and copy-paste it from the inventory folder

And have forgot to detach the original so all my fidgeting got saved.

Infinitesimal in the grand scheme but man it really gets me every time.

Edited by cariboustag
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If data and media are plural, what are the singulars, please?

*runs away and hides

Heh ...   datum and medium.  And to riff on @Love Zhaoying's question ...

39 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

If "media" is plural for "medium", is "largeum" singular for "large"?

Um, no.  But "largesse" is the feminine form....  (rim shot). 🙄

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Peeve #541: Tried to stay in a hotel recently and couldn't stay due to their systems. The guest room doors are only set up for use with a smart phone and couldn't stay.  Went to desk to inquire about key cards, the clerk said there is none and the app was the only way. When I showed my flip phone she busted up laughing and got the manager down, who also laughed.  We told them we booked it online and there was no indication phone was required. 

After a heated discussion we got refunded and left. We did find another hotel about a km down the road and got a room.  Even had a convo with the desk clerk there and he said the hotel we tried at was highly geared to millennials (or those who have the phone permanently glued to them) and not old farts like us.

Please tell me the hotel name & location.  While I do have a smart phone, I absolutely hate businesses that require them and make assumptions that everyone has one.  They will definitely go on my list of "never ever give them business".

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

\end_peeve

Language is ever changing.

https://www.grammar-monster.com/lessons/data_singular_or_plural.htm

image.png.44750566882ee58762ad5d0fb45c9753.png

image.png.e903ec23cef7eb98af648ccc335179ef.png

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

And the plural of octopus (a Greek word) is octopuses or octopods, not octopi. Don't add a Latin pluralizing ending to a Greek word.

And do NOT get me started on pronouncing the word kilometre. The stress is KILO and not OM, like in CENTImetre and MILLImetre. Those aren't pronounced cenTIMetre and milLIMetre, don't pronounce kilometre like that. It does NOT sound like barometer ... the ending is even spelled different! Bloody heathens.

I watch electronics / retro repair videos on YouTube.  I cringe when they pronounce "multimeter" as "multee-meeter" not "mul-tih-mihter".

15 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Oh, I know all about windmills and about tilting against them.  I didn't mean to imply that I thought there was any way to reverse the flow (or even that it was much of a disaster, in the grand scheme of things).  It's just one of those things that make me sigh a bit.  A pet peeve.  🤕

• Like 1