17 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

People who say sorry when they are not at all sorry, ie:

"Sorry but Masked Singer... the worst show ever."

"Sorry but I'm not watching again until Holly and Phil are back."

Gah I know. "Sorry, but" = no. No you're not sorry. That but means you are not sorry in the slightest. It's up there with "I hate to be a jerk but..." or its so much worse cousin: "I'm not racist but." The answer is no. No you are. Deal with it.

Wow. That got more angry than I intended. But I know what you mean.

Edited by BranScanlon
it's/its STILL an early morning apparently. Grammar is the worst/best
  • Like 4

17 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

They do that a lot over here, “sorry” is almost used as a conjunction. I’ve noticed over the past couple of years the level of rudeness in general has reached new heights. Maybe I am just noticing it more? 
I tend to spend 99% of my time in fields, my yard or country lanes while hacking out. when I head out to get some grocery shopping (1% of the time) I either have to:

-square my shoulders and get ready to be tackled, rugby style, by those who think entry/exit doesn’t apply to them. This is easier said than done for someone light framed like me. So they charge full back style into you with a loud “sorry!!”

- get out of the way fast if the wild trolleys/triple buggies in the aisles, god forbid you’re there at all. If they hit you (it does happen) it’s usually in unison with a “sorry!!” that really means “get out of the way you tw0t”

Another thing that gets me is the utter lack of patience for people who are older, move slowly or are trying to gather their thoughts… the faces in the queue behind these unfortunate souls would fit happily in any 16th century map as wind cherubs 🤦‍♀️

OK this turned out into a rant of my very own… sorry 😂

For those who don’t know what I am referring to, here’s a wind cherub 😂

12358178-9013-4BF6-9921-B5D8EA1AF9F4.jpeg

Edited by Krystina Ferraris
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

I agree...why not just say "I don't like it" :S

Another peeve is when people use the term "haters" when others aren't into the same things as them...I don't HATE ABBA or Radiohead, and I'm not jealous of their success...their music's just not my thing  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

To me  it is just acknowledging that we don't share the same opinion or viewpoint on something. Some get so defensive when I don't see something the same way that I lead in with a sorry to basically say I wish it was different.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Because the "offended" generation jumps all over you if are not 100% for what they are.  So people have started apologizing in advance. It just simply saves time. :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

To me  it is just acknowledging that we don't share the same opinion or viewpoint on something. Some get so defensive when I don't see something the same way that I lead in with a sorry to basically say I wish it was different.

22 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Sadly (to me) it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry. People are not sorry - nor should they be - for having a difference of opinion. It's the context again I guess. In the examples given the sorry sounds like it's used to belittle those who actually do like those things/presenters on TV/bands or whatever. 

To illustrate further, I could have said:

Sorry it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry.

rather than

Sadly it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry.  

Which of those sentences sounds better/more correct?  

To me, 

Sorry it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry

sounds rather shirty. 

Edited by Marigold Devin

6 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

Sadly (to me) it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry. People are not sorry - nor should they be - for having a difference of opinion. It's the context again I guess. In the examples given the sorry sounds like it's used to belittle those who actually do like those things/presenters on TV/bands or whatever. 

To illustrate further, I could have said:

Sorry it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry.

rather than

Sadly it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry.  

Which of those sentences sounds better/more correct?  

To me, 

Sorry it doesn't come across as a genuine sorry

sounds rather shirty. 

Well I'm sorry you feel that way :( 

😏

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:

People are not sorry - nor should they be - for having a difference of opinion. 

These forums are a perfect example of people being expected to be sorry for having a difference of opinion. Now, take that into the real world and see how it works.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Are we though, really, expected to be sorry for having a different opinion? In real life or in Second Life or on Facebook or Discord or wherever? We're all just really very different people, and I think that makes life really interesting. It wouldn't do for us all to be the same. But I do hate sometimes the way that the English language has been bastardised. It's just my own little pet peeve, and I really wouldn't expect everyone to agree with me. Some do, some don't, and that really is absolutely fine. It's not fine though when a teeny tiny difference of opinion turns into something massive, but I guess that's another pet peeve.

I truly value your input. On any thread.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Well I'm sorry you feel that way :( 

😏

It's difficult though, isn't it, to truly know what someone means or thinks behind their keyboard.  We all just base our own very different opinions on what we have experienced in our own very individual past interactions with folk.

On 1/2/2022 at 12:37 AM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

I agree it was a bit drastic to unfriend you but I don't know what kind of response you gave him so...shrugs. Text can come off as sounding harsher to the recipient than intended sometimes.

Absolutely 100% agree with you on this.

42 minutes ago, Modulated said:

Today its the people who insist on posting various scenes of pixel slex on the SL profile feed. Why? We get it, you do the nasty in SL, but leave that crap off the feeds. It looks dumb and it's just not the place for it IMO. 

giphy-downsized-large.gif

That should ALL be general and not adult as anyone can see it regardless of their maturity rating.

The search system does not filter keywords when you search for avatar names or profiles. Information in Resident profiles should be General. Please refer to our Community Standards for details.

25 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Big peeve:

Getting misgendered and deadnamed to the point i spent the first chunk of my birthday yesterday crying alone in my room.

Similar peeve: birthdays

For the first seven years of my life everyone thought I was a boy, even though my name is Marian, which is unisex, because John Wayne's name is Marion too I believe, and I always wore dresses. 

And birthdays are hateful, they make everything seem worse somehow. No one knows when my birthday is.  

I hope today is better for you Robin. 

• Like 4

34 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Big peeve:

Getting misgendered and deadnamed to the point i spent the first chunk of my birthday yesterday crying alone in my room.

Big, fuzzy hugs for you, I am so sorry you've had to deal with that.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Marigold Devin said:
48 minutes ago, Robin Kiyori said:

Big peeve:

For the first seven years of my life everyone thought I was a boy, even though my name is Marian, which is unisex, because John Wayne's name is Marion too I believe, and I always wore dresses. 

I sometimes marvel at (and am thankful for) my childhood cluelessness. Until my teens, my first name, though not common, was usually associated with boys. It's now one of the most popular girl's names.

I don't recall being much aware of whether people considered me a boy or girl because there was little distinction between the two in my family. Dad was more likely to sport a ponytail than mom.

It did seem curious to me that others pigeonholed themselves with labels and their expectations. When puberty struck, it offered no enlightenment. I eventually did succumb to societal expectations. The experience wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't me.

Now I'm back to being just Maddy, who has neither the ability, nor the interest, to sort things out. I love a good mess.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 5

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

I sometimes marvel at (and am thankful for) my childhood cluelessness. Until my teens, my first name, though not common, was usually associated with boys. It's now one of the most popular girl's names.

I don't recall being much aware of whether people considered me a boy or girl because there was little distinction between the two in my family. Dad was more likely to sport a ponytail than mom.

It did seem curious to me that others pigeonholed themselves with labels and their expectations. When puberty struck, it offered no enlightenment. I eventually did succumb to societal expectations. The experience wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't me.

Now I'm back to being just Maddy, who has neither the ability, nor the interest, to sort things out. I love a good mess.

I had relatively old and old-fashioned parents. Black was black, white was white, men went to work, women were housewives and mothers, but my mother thought it was far from hilarious when she had twins before I was born and people would often peer into the pram and declare "how wonderful, you have one of each". With much venom in her tone my mother would point out they were both wearing blue and therefore in fact both boys.  

Five years later, with the rehearsal to motherhood well and truly over, my mother thought it was hilarious people thought I was a boy, and would tease me until I would fold my arms and pout and be "nowty" with everyone. To be fair, I was always happier rolling around in the garden, stealing my older brother's much cooler toys, and building dens in the woods with the lads from next door. 

I don't believe gender is black and white, one thing or another, there are feminine males and masculine females and jobs for everyone. I take as I find. 

But back to Robin's pet peeve, if they or anyone wish to be called by a name other than their birth name, or referred to in some way other than was declared before they themselves knew themselves to truly be, then it's downright disrespectful of others not to accept those choices/decisions, although I understand a lot of people struggle to get their head around some changes. My own half-sister, for example, refuses to call me by my married name, because I divorced the control freak in 1998, but as my dad was a total bastard I chose not to revert back to the family name. Hypocritically my half-sister kept her married name even though her husband divorced her, but she says that's different because she had a daughter. That again is tosh because her daughter has married so no longer carries her father's name. 

I might change my name by deed poll to Marigold Devin just to mix things up some more! 

Edited by Marigold Devin
Brain has defrosted, the grammar was incorrect, the meaning was lost in penultimate paragraph.
  • Like 3