Is Lara "done"?

angelikiinha

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, BelindaN said:

Lara was my first mesh body. I've demo'd others. None cut it for me. Legacy I find I just don't like the legs/ ankles/feet. I've tried so hard to like Legacy, but I can cope with Laras slight shoulder shape issue way better than Legacys legs. 

I have friends who take the opposite view.

All my alts have Lara, and they are grateful.

I agree with you there, Belinda. The ankles and feet is what I just can't get over. I like the body otherwise, but can't justify the expense if I am constantly going to be disappointed with the feet. I like Maitreya, for all the positive reasons mentioned here. Easy to use, easy to mod, good HUD, great options, ubiquitous and all around great price compared to others. I do have other bodies, including eBody reborn, which actually I adore! I now switch between them depending on what look I am going for. I hope Maitreya just keeps going strong as it is :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, angelikiinha said:

Numbers? I have doubt about it – if we are talking about recent selling numbers. I mean, anywhere I look, there is someone wearing Kupra, Legacy and the new eBody.

Of course Maitreya is still huge because of people like me, who bought it ages ago and are still using it.

Selling numbers for the body don't matter when it comes to getting created content for a body.. Wearer numbers are what matter most..

Right now according to the best information we have to go from, Maitreya is sitting at around 34.3% wearers in the market. With that much of the market wearing Maitreya, it's very doubtful that creators are going to stop making things for it over  more niche market bodies..

Kupra has been around for two years and probably has climbed as high as it's going to, with Reborne moving up pulling some of Kupras numbers away from it.

The next body down from Maitreya is sitting at 7.8%, which shows how much of a gap it holds on the market..

Just look where Belleza is sitting and where Maitreya is sitting..

Updated: 2022-08-31 @ 00:00:00 PDT Top 300 mesh bodies with 382392 unique wearers:

Rank # | Model Name | Count | % (Count / 382392)

#1 : Maitreya - Lara : 131419 : 34.3%

#2 : Signature - Gianni : 29937 : 7.8%

#3 : Belleza - Jake : 21291 : 5.5%

#4 : MeshBody - Legacy (Female) : 19437 : 5.0%

#5 : Inithium - Kupra : 13183 : 3.4%

#6 : MeshBody - Classic (Female) : 12918 : 3.3%

#7 : MeshBody - Legacy (Athletic Male) : 10965 : 2.8%

#8 : MeshBody - Legacy (Male) : 10060 : 2.6%

#9 : LucyBody - Atenea : 9001 : 2.3%

#10 : MeshBody - Classic (Male) : 8055 : 2.1%

#11 : eBODY - Reborn : 7784 : 2.0%

#12 : MeshBody - Legacy Perky : 7421 : 1.9%

#13: Belleza - Freya : 7358 : 1.9%

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

There are several chest options, both from Maitreya (Petite and Flat) and third parties (V-Tech) that meet the needs of people who like this shape.

There is a new third party chest add-on for regular and petite chests from a store called Ecru it's an equivalent of ebody's "juicy" double boob add-on, there's a dev kit of some sort freely available. going by the example pics i saw instore Maitreya's blocky boob shape really doesn't take well to double boobs.

I think Maitreya has carved out its niche quite well for people who desire a smaller chest or a more androgynous or teenage look with it's various add-ons. Not coming out with constant updates is probably a good thing if there's nothing wrong with the body it can end up causing issues

• Like 7

33 minutes ago, Tess Falworth said:

Wow. Judgy much? I am sure your avatar is the epitome of perfection right? Why is the concept of just simply letting others do their thing and not judging them soooo hard for people? Damn. 

Judgy? Not at all. Do whatever.

But I am stating facts, though my humour may have been off. Go look for yourself any time you like, and tell me that anything I said is fanciful or made up (okay, the eyelash thing is an exaggeration, though a slight one). I can snap pics for you if you like.

Also, what's the thing with all the faces looking like 12 year olds?

(And to your question back to me? Yes, my avatar is the perfect idealized artist female life drawing proportions.)

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, angelikiinha said:

As a loyal Maitreya user (since buying a lot of not-so-cheap bodies isn't an option for me), I'm kind of worried about Lara's future. Do you guys know anything about a possible update like they did when BoM was released? Perhaps adding new features like thigh and breast tightening deformers? Or is Lara (and Belleza too, I think) really meant to be cheaper/poorer options?

I'm a Maitreya user and a shameless shopaholic with an overflowing closet - I know of only one store I've visited recently, out of the dozens I shop in, that does not carry the brand at all, except for a few old releases (they're strictly Legacy now).

I'm also a bit of a niche user in that I make endless avatars and various fantasy looks on a regular basis, and rely on quite a few body mods for that. In that arena, sure, you can find things being made for Kupra and Reborn (furry mods, for example), but for something like fantasy costumes and outfits, rigged fantasy legs, rigged mermaid tails and fins, rigged arm and/or hand mods, special feet, etc. - Maitreya is still the belle of that ball. Legacy is a good second choice in that market, and Reborn is also being supported in some stores. Note - Legacy does tend to go on sale over the holidays (sometimes 50% off), which makes it cheaper than Maitreya at that time (that is, if Maitreya doesn't also have a sale).

Generally speaking, 3rd party support for Maitreya and Legacy is really good, which is where your question about body updates comes in. Short of fixing Maitreya's shoulders (which I whine about constantly), there really isn't much I can't think of that the body would even need that isn't already being covered by some other shop. You mentioned the deformers to create that tight effect - much of that is 3rd party, and Reborn makes some for its own body. But that's a slightly different market IMO, as Maitreya tends to be on the leaner side (not always, but usually).

Overall though, I don't see it disappearing anytime soon unless someone releases something to compete in the slender/athletic market, so keep on using it unless you desire a completely different shape with curves. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Not sure they do either.

Their main activities seem to include standing solo and widely separated around the entire perimeter of the dance floor, blowing bubble gum/drinking a latte/smoking/some combo of all of the above, batting eyelashes large enough to kill a chicken, seeing how tightly those silly thigh strap things can press into their flesh, and letting their tiny hands and lower arms float into their ample bosoms.

And I counted 18 of them there at one point yesterday. Wait, could they all just be alts of @Madelaine McMasters ?

...bats her eyelashes at you, then hands you the chicken.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, Katherine Heartsong said:

Judgy? Not at all. Do whatever.

But I am stating facts, though my humour may have been off. Go look for yourself any time you like, and tell me that anything I said is fanciful or made up (okay, the eyelash thing is an exaggeration, though a slight one). I can snap pics for you if you like.

Also, what's the thing with all the faces looking like 12 year olds?

(And to your question back to me? Yes, my avatar is the perfect idealized artist female life drawing proportions.)

The male version?

https://gyazo.com/449a67bc6abda79b6420a47500e49c8e

• Like 2
  • Haha 14

I couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread, but I skimmed. ← disclaimer in case I'm repeating what everyone else said & you'll cut me some slack

I don't have the complete, scientifically gathered data file from the Official Reporting Teams, but I've seen no indication that Lara is failing. She's got some competition, yes, but that isn't the same thing as on the brink.

I hope she isn't. My extensive inventory is for classic Lara. I don't even want to think about a switch. Even if there were a 100% better body, I wouldn't want to switch. I'm too invested.

That said, what would I like to see improved? The weird things that happen when your avatar is in motion. I took/take photos, and you move your arms in front of you and the shoulders fold like a piece of paper. All of the major joint motions are weird. Since I don't use photoshop, this gets very annoying and I have to be very careful what position my avatar is in and what angle the camera is in, or the avatar looks like origami.

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, Seicher Rae said:

I couldn't be arsed to read the whole thread, but I skimmed. ← disclaimer in case I'm repeating what everyone else said & you'll cut me some slack

I don't have the complete, scientifically gathered data file from the Official Reporting Teams, but I've seen no indication that Lara is failing. She's got some competition, yes, but that isn't the same thing as on the brink.

I hope she isn't. My extensive inventory is for classic Lara. I don't even want to think about a switch. Even if there were a 100% better body, I wouldn't want to switch. I'm too invested.

That said, what would I like to see improved? The weird things that happen when your avatar is in motion. I took/take photos, and you move your arms in front of you and the shoulders fold like a piece of paper. All of the major joint motions are weird. Since I don't use photoshop, this gets very annoying and I have to be very careful what position my avatar is in and what angle the camera is in, or the avatar looks like origami.

And the magical disappearing buttocks? 😃

• Like 2

11 hours ago, ValKalAstra said:

So anyways there seems to be a growing sentiment that Maitreya is old and deprecated. It doesn't have to be rooted in fact and so far I'd say it's just perception. But the funny thing about perception is that if this idea spreads, if it becomes public sentiment, then more and more people will look to other mesh bodies.

There is some truth to this. The very fact that we're having this conversation demonstrates it.

Objectively speaking, there is zero danger of Maitreya dropping off the edge of a cliff in the near future. It's just too dominant. But there's also no question whatsoever that I've seen a marked increase of people, on Twitter, on blogs, on Flickr, and in-world, either deprecating Maitreya or predicting its demise. Nothing that is said is going to make that happen overnight. But . . . I've also started to see more outfits that don't come with a Maitreya version. It's small . . . but that would have been unthinkable a year ago.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Seicher Rae said:

Part of the larger issue here, I think, is that the SL avatar has a pretty simple bone structure that doesn't handle complicated or unusual poses very well. I see icky deformation of the shoulders in all of the 3 bodies I use.

That said . . . for photographs that involve any degree of nudity, or even slightly raised arms, I tend to use Legacy Perky. I have lots of issues with Legacy, but . . . it's just a better looking body naked, and it poses better.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Part of the larger issue here, I think, is that the SL avatar has a pretty simple bone structure that doesn't handle complicated or unusual poses very well. I see icky deformation of the shoulders in all of the 3 bodies I use.

That said . . . for photographs that involve any degree of nudity, or even slightly raised arms, I tend to use Legacy Perky. I have lots of issues with Legacy, but . . . it's just a better looking body naked, and it poses better.

I believe Lara is rigged directly to the mapping of the default SL avatar , this is probably why the distortions carry over.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Creators really seem to like Reborn. It reminds me of the adoption of Genus in that designers and bloggers really loved working with it so it came to dominate events and posts on flickr.  But Maitreya is still the #1 most worn body on the grid, it ain't done, lol.

Edited by missyrideout
  • Like 2

Maitreya is probably still the number one body by a very large margin.

It's a bit like you're in California and it's a Tesla. Most of the time it's all you're gonna see. ;)

It's very low lag, well scripted, and comes with the layers all separated out now.

I do wish it was Mod - but for no-Mod it does the best job of things.

My only other complaint is I wish they had a chest addon for larger busted avatars. The third party options in this realm always go silly large - so when I wear Maitreya I run around with boobs twice as big as my avatar's head just to make a point (and I do the same on Belleza for somewhat the same reason. Though in my profile I state it like this:

"Everybody in SL has tiny boobs & a km-wide butt, so I did the opposite"

- "Everybody" there on the butt side not being Maitreya. It's pretty much Maitreya/Belleza or your butt has a zip code in BOTH Texas and New Mexico...

I would like it if Maitreya had a chest addon that just covered normal busty sizes. Not silly-big, but also not capped out at 'just above average'.

That said. For most people it's the best choice. Belleza is ONLY good if you want Mod AND know how to mod it.

Edited by UnilWay SpiritWeaver
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

There is a new third party chest add-on for regular and petite chests from a store called Ecru it's an equivalent of ebody's "juicy" double boob add-on, there's a dev kit of some sort freely available. going by the example pics i saw instore Maitreya's blocky boob shape really doesn't take well to double boobs.

I think Maitreya has carved out its niche quite well for people who desire a smaller chest or a more androgynous or teenage look with it's various add-ons. Not coming out with constant updates is probably a good thing if there's nothing wrong with the body it can end up causing issues

I've seen the 3rd party add-on for thighs, it looks really good and it's exactly what I would like to see Maitreya itself releasing - not sure how it would make easier the work for creators, but I can assume it's a lot.

Just a correction: I don't expect "constant updates". I just want to see Lara "fighting back" what other bodies are offering, like the Squish Thighs, the "juicy boobs" and other popular options from competing bodies. Like they did – SO well, by the way – with the perky add-on. I like my shapes more curvy but not so unnatural as Kupra (sorry, users, can't find a less offensive definition).

If Lara can be a fit for curvy or slender figures, why not, right? :)

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, angelikiinha said:

I just want to see Lara "fighting back" what other bodies are offering, like the Squish Thighs, the "juicy boobs" and other popular options from competing bodies.

The other day I ran across a garment -- I think from Just Because? -- that offered as a body choice something called "Maitreya Natural Lift." I'd never heard of it before, but that sounds like a "juicy boobs" type mod?

I've seen it nowhere else, however.

16f2ef4156a6e780a3ca9dd98e1bfa9a.png

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Corrected name of body type and added image
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Ayashe Ninetails said:

I'm also a bit of a niche user in that I make endless avatars and various fantasy looks on a regular basis, and rely on quite a few body mods for that. In that arena, sure, you can find things being made for Kupra and Reborn (furry mods, for example), but for something like fantasy costumes and outfits, rigged fantasy legs, rigged mermaid tails and fins, rigged arm and/or hand mods, special feet, etc. - Maitreya is still the belle of that ball. Legacy is a good second choice in that market, and Reborn is also being supported in some stores.

Ditto - and this is the reason I keep and still use Maitreya, at least sometimes.  I also have a lot of fantasy and furry mods and add-ons.  Legacy and Freya seem to come in second place for those, with Kupra and Reborn present but waay down at the bottom of that list.  Mermaid tails for example - as far as I can tell there is no rigged bento tail that fits any body besides Maitreya.

Freya is my favourite body though, and thats the one I use when I'm not wearing one of those mods now.  It's the only body that I can get to look thick but in a strong, muscular way rather than a soft, curvy one. And being so tall, Maitreya just never gets past "skinny", even with all the shape diallers maxed out.

Juicy-type boobs? I don't think Maitreya's boobs will go large enough to make that an effective or popular mod. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Maitimo said:

Ditto - and this is the reason I keep and still use Maitreya, at least sometimes.  I also have a lot of fantasy and furry mods and add-ons.  Legacy and Freya seem to come in second place for those, with Kupra and Reborn present but waay down at the bottom of that list.  Mermaid tails for example - as far as I can tell there is no rigged bento tail that fits any body besides Maitreya.

Freya is my favourite body though, and thats the one I use when I'm not wearing one of those mods now.  It's the only body that I can get to look thick but in a strong, muscular way rather than a soft, curvy one. And being so tall, Maitreya just never gets past "skinny", even with all the shape diallers maxed out.

Juicy-type boobs? I don't think Maitreya's boobs will go large enough to make that an effective or popular mod. 

Oops, I forgot to mention Freya, as you can sometimes find fantasy mods in her size, too, but I'm not sure if anything new is being made for it. Shame really, but understandable. There are just toooo many bodies to support them all!

For mermaid tails, I did recently find the Petrichor & ERSCH Valenne Mermaid Tail that fits Reborn, Freya, Kupra, Lara, and Legacy. I'm partial to Cynefin's Nemissa and the numerous mods for that, though, and that's only Lara and Legacy F/M.

When you go more niche into fantasy/sci-fi (borgs and androids, mythological creatures, really wild costumes, etc.), body options really start to dwindle. That's where it becomes almost necessary to have at least Maitreya or Legacy in your arsenal. It's also why I don't think the body's going anywhere anytime soon. There's just so much cool stuff being made in the fantasy realm these days and a very active fantasy/roleplay community on Flickr - and that's in addition to most of the big name stores in the general fashion market supporting Maitreya as well.

• Like 4

I am a diehard maitreya user.  I am not a thicc woman in first and have no desire to be in second, but I still have curves.  Not as pronounced as Kupra, Reborn, and Legacy, which is why I don't use those bodies.    Now all ya'll talk about Maitreya Lara being slender, yep she is, if you want her that way, but I was at a club and saw a very nice avatar that was curvy and I could have sworn she was wearing Legacy or did a very nice Reborn shape.  I scanned her and was floored that she was wearing Maitreya!  I was impressed and IM'd her to say so.  So a curvy body can be done on Maitreya if one is willing to take the time and work with it.  The shoulder issue with Maitreya I fixed with a deformer.  You would have to pry my Maitreya from my cold dead SL body.  I have no plans to ever switch.  Keep your tourniquet thighs, arms, and over mashed bewbs from those 3rd party creators.  I don't want them.  I did try the 3rd party add-on by Ecru, and to be honest it is more of an uplift, and not mashed bewbs, hence the title 'Maitreya Lift'. I liked it so much that I bought it and heading out now to try that JB gown.  

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Cougar Sangria said:

Keep your tourniquet thighs, arms, and over mashed bewbs from those 3rd party creators.  I don't want them.  I did try the 3rd party add-on by Ecru, and to be honest it is more of an uplift, and not mashed bewbs, hence the title 'Maitreya Lift'. I liked it so much that I bought it and heading out now to try that JB gown.  

You can get the Maze soft thighs for Maitreya too now, so it doesn't sound like Maitreya is missing much in the way of add ons and in fact might have more than Reborn due to the additional chest options. I will have to check out the Maitreya Lift, I wonder who else is making stuff for it and if it will gain traction.

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Cougar Sangria said:

I did try the 3rd party add-on by Ecru, and to be honest it is more of an uplift, and not mashed bewbs, hence the title 'Maitreya Lift'. I liked it so much that I bought it and heading out now to try that JB gown.  

4 minutes ago, Stephanie Lovely said:

I will have to check out the Maitreya Lift, I wonder who else is making stuff for it and if it will gain traction.

Pix please! I'm curious!

I don't have a lot of use myself for the push-up look, or prominent decolletage . . . and my boobs are on the smaller side, so the effect wouldn't be as pronounced, I suspect. But I can see it maybe being useful for period outfits.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

Pix please! I'm curious!

I don't have a lot of use myself for the push-up look, or prominent decolletage . . . and my boobs are on the smaller side, so the effect wouldn't be as pronounced, I suspect. But I can see it maybe being useful for period outfits.

Natural Breast Lift for Maitreya Regular

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 564 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.