NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

38 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The original "autoalpha for consumers, if I remember correctly, was basically an auto alpha script in a cube, set up so you could record the alpha cuts, and then, when you wore that no-mod clothing item, you could also attach the auto-alpha cube to hide the cuts the clothing didn't.

Using RLV to add partial alpha layers is something else entirely.

But if the body (the Redux) was made without alpha cuts, like Kupra, how was it implemented?  

I understood that the auto alpha for consumers was for the previous bodies with alpha cuts so you could save those alpha cuts per outfit.  Like Maitreya had the save stick.

ETA...so you're saying it was specifically for the body WITH alpha cuts..gotcha.

Edited by Rowan Amore

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

But if the body (the Redux) was made without alpha cuts, like Kupra, how was it implemented?  

I understood that the auto alpha for consumers was for the previous bodies with alpha cuts so you could save those alpha cuts per outfit.  Like Maitreya had the save stick.

The original autoalpha for consumers was strictly for the pre-bom alpha cuts version, the only reason I remember it was because I remember laughing at "the really inovative brand" finally copying Maitreya, in an inferior manner, several years late.

it was nothing like a Mait save stick. a save stick let you save the alpha cut settings, and then reload them, from and back into the hud, the rival brands thing was literally, an auto alpha script that hadn't been initialised, in a cube, that you copied, wore the copy, recorded the alpha cuts off the body into it, then detached and attached as needed

So you ALWAYS wasted an extra attachment point.

As for them doing an rlv based alpha layer AFTER the BoM Redux fiasco, don't know, I stopped paying attention to them when they went Hardcore "screw over your customers" BoM Bigot". How was autoalpha implemented for Redux? I am not convinced that it ever was. At least not by the Brand it's self, maybe there was some attempt at a 3rd party rlv based version.

Only alpha thing I ever heard of from them AFTER Redux, was that small pack of "one size doesn't really fit anyone" alpha layers, and the cheery advice that all their customers needed to shut up, and learn to be prolific content creators and teach your self to make hundreds of alpha layers from thousands of texture uploads, if they wanted to keep wearing the stuff they had bought over the previous years with the new body.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

The original autoalpha for consumers was strictly for the pre-bom alpha cuts version, the only reason I remember it was because I remember laughing at "the really inovative brand" finally copying Maitreya, in an inferior manner, several years late.

it was nothing like a Mait save stick. a save stick let you save the alpha cut settings, and then reload them, from and back into the hud, the rival brands thing was literally, an auto alpha script that hadn't been initialised, in a cube, that you copied, wore the copy, recorded the alpha cuts off the body into it, then detached and attached as needed

So you ALWAYS wasted an extra attachment point.

As for them doing an rlv based alpha layer AFTER the BoM Redux fiasco, don't know, I stopped paying attention to them when they went Hardcore "screw over your customers" BoM Bigot". How was autoalpha implemented for Redux? I am not convinced that it ever was. At least not by the Brand it's self, maybe there was some attempt at a 3rd party rlv based version.

Only alpha thing I ever heard of from them AFTER Redux, was that small pack of "one size doesn't really fit anyone" alpha layers, and the cheery advice that all their customers needed to shut up, and learn to be prolific content creators and teach your self to make hundreds of alpha layers from thousands of texture uploads, if they wanted to keep wearing the stuff they had bought over the previous years with the new body.

The ones I was referring to did work off of RLV.  You have to load the alphas (a lot of alphas) into rlv folders.  Then from a HUD, it would put those alphas on.  Seemed easier just to add the alpha layer into the clothing folder but people like their HUDs.  I know I like my alpha cuts although I will use the layers if they're provided with the outfit.  My preference is clothing that is auto-hide.

• Like 1

The funny part is that the whole "RLV based alpha layer auto wear HUD to replace alpha cuts" thing is a direct steal from RLV Bondage gear made a decade or more ago by brands such as KaS, Real Restraints and Restrained Freedom.

Kinksters save the day! Hurray! Take that Puritan Killjoys who want to purge SL of Adult Content!!

1 minute ago, Rowan Amore said:

I know I like my alpha cuts although I will use the layers if they're provided with the outfit.  My preference is clothing that is auto-hide.

That's why I made sure I grabbed the autoalpha kit for lara, with mod clothing I even replace the old lara v4.x versions with the newer better v5.x autohide script.

And that "loads of layers in separate folders" thing... Haha, check the MP for KaS, they actually have a freebie pre-sorted-into-folders box that sets up all the rlv auto-alpha-layer stuff for their dress for you. just unpack and it's done. Old old Kinkster Tech.

• Like 2

One thing is for sure the new people with the Nux's won't suffer like the people in system avi's do because they use the systems avatars.  No one wants to talk to you if you aren't mesh. God forbid if the head don't match the body or your man bits.  

• Like 2

Another try at Blake.  Added BOM body hair and Exile Eric hair.  Shorts and shoes from Blake's library.  Red socks are mine, because us old farts still wear socks with shoes.

BkakebodyhairExileEric.thumb.jpg.951369786e97ec16d8e72ee799ecf1f4.jpg

There is a dress folder for Blake, (mini dress and strapless mini dress) I am tempted to girly him up.  But he needs high heels then!

BlakeDresses.png.9c89d03dca9abd30367a9597db7bab39.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:
1 hour ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Take that Puritan Killjoys who want to purge SL of Adult Content!!

Are those people you made up? I've never heard of this before. 

I saw a huge group of them walking slowly along the dirt roads when I took took the Belli Train ride from the Welcome Center to the Belli Hub...they had on brown robes with hoods, carrying huge crosses, and smoke was emitting from strange swinging devices, to purify the area I think.

Edited by Luna Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 hours ago, Orwar said:

My criticisms of alpha masks is primarily:

• You need to make the texture outside of SL. There's no means to generate alpha mask UV layouts in-world, that makes it very distant from a lot of the userbase.
  • The standard SLUV with its mirrored arms, you can't have asymmetrical sleeves (such as 1 arm has a sleeve, the other doesn't). This makes certain fashion design options impossible to strive for without using alpha cuts.
  • It's pretty unsexy to pay L$10 for an alpha mask texture, at least when you upload a profile pic or clothing/building textures and suchlike, it's something you get to show off to people - a good alpha mask is sort of there not to be seen!

Furthermore, even if several bodies use the 'same' UV, the actual unwrapping dimensions varies. Notably, an alpha mask made for a short-sleeved shirt where the creator wore a Legacy body when making the mask, which is then labelled as 'alpha mask Legacy/Maitreya' is quite likely not going to work at all for a Maitreya user, as the masked area is likely to extend past the end of the sleeve of the shirt. That only makes it all the more important that the end-user has the ability to adjust the alpha masking to fit their own body and shape.

I personally still do make a lot of custom alpha masks for things I buy, as I know how to do it and don't mind paying L$10 for an upload to get something that otherwise wouldn't work, to work. But then I think it's safe to say I'm by no means anywhere near any norms! 

No matter what happens with the current alpha system it will always be complicated and not work due to how LL have set up their channels, it is also a very old method of how to go about hiding things under an object. Additionally, like you said, even if the alpha is permanently linked to the mesh object like I mentioned in the before solution you are still relying on a content creator to get the alpha right. This however is something that is going to happen no matter what method is used as SL is a user driven creation system.

The only other possible way for Linden Lab to solve the issue (and the best way to fix the issue) is to remove the need to use alpha layers on worn mesh objects entirely and make their use only situational (rarely used). To do this LL would need to allow for shape deformation to be allowed on individually worn mesh objects.

Basically what this would mean is that a content creator would be able to create a jacket and then have that jacket able to deform the mesh under it or have the mesh deform based on the mesh under it. This requires additional effort at a creation point of view but for the end user it would basically mean you can wear multiple layers without them ever hitting each other. This is called wrap deforming and has been around for well over a decade.

We do have a form of mesh deforming in Second Life such as being able to wear an invisible object that can make a tail longer or shorter even if it is rigged, however, nothing where you can deform mesh individually based on layers. For example, wear a mesh shirt and it deforms the shirt to the shape of the body and then wear a mesh jacket and it deforms the jacket to match the mesh shirt ensuring that there is a slight 'airgap' between.

If such deformation was possible it would solve all of the alpha issues and many complexities a new user has as it would mean that rather your body being fit to suit the jacket, the jacket is fitted to your body shape. i.e. jacket may be smaller than your arm thickness so by alphaing your arms you are not keeping your actual shape whereas with wrap deforming your jacket matches the thickness of your arm shape keeping your true shape.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ingrid Ingersoll said:

Are those people you made up? I've never heard of this before. 

Real Restraints, one of two brands run by Marine Kelly, inventor of RLV, and the person who was commissioned to redo EVERY script in the Maitreya Lara body and Hud, for the 5.x version update.

Have you heard of her ?

How about KaS? Never heard of them ? Hmmm, small brand so thats plausible, but claiming they are not real...

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/KaS-Corset-Dress-AutoAlphas/6933531

Restrained Freedom are on the MP too, easy enough to search for.

Or were you referring to the puritans, there's been plenty of threads on the forum from them,.

One particularly toxic example not openly wanted SL purged of smut, and issued dire warnings that if LL didn't comply the BBB (no not the one from Belli) would punish them.

They also campaigned to have custom non-mole home and garden items banned from Belli, and claimed that teleporting was too dangerous, as it would lead to your PC being taken over by Chinese Hackers from Russia, who would sent North Korean death squads to assassinate your bible...

I never cease to be amazed at the sheltered SecondLives some of you lead.

:D 

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

I'm unsure of the relevance of this little rant to the thread at hand.

I'm unsure as to the relevance of the person who either a) doesn't believe in Marine Kelly, or b) doesn't believe that SL has smut hating puritans, or c)both, and seemed to be implying that I lied about one or both.

*shrug*

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rowan Amore said:

The ones I was referring to did work off of RLV.  You have to load the alphas (a lot of alphas) into rlv folders.  Then from a HUD, it would put those alphas on.  Seemed easier just to add the alpha layer into the clothing folder but people like their HUDs.  I know I like my alpha cuts although I will use the layers if they're provided with the outfit.  My preference is clothing that is auto-hide.

I have one called Alpha 911 which, yea, it's a lot of alpha layers for sure.. hehehe

I sometimes just test the alphas without the hud and will link them to an outfit folder.. The main thing I like about it is that it has so many alphas that I can try those out before having to go make one.. but the hud is nice for bodies without cuts .:)

The other issues with those RLV alpha systems are that they aren't available on the official viewer which is what some new users might be using.  It also requires explaining to the people what the general purpose for RLV is and why they need to enable it for these types of system.  Some users will nope out the moment they realise that RLV is designed to lock down part of their experience and give control to others, regardless of the safety of such systems.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 1

Now that I have played with the Jamie body clothing options more comprehensively, I have to say that the prevalence, size and prominence of "Senra" tags on more than a few items of clothing bugs me no end.  I think these have the potential to stigmatise the new person because anyone within range will be able to identify them as newbies off the bat no differently from if they were wearing any of the other starter avatars.  Ironically, it would be harder to spot a Senra user that quickly if they were naked.

New people want to look as good as other people from day 1, they don't want to look like new people.  I think the tags are a mistake but hey maybe the idea is to easily identify new people from others at a glance - who knows?

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 5

55 minutes ago, Gabriele Graves said:

Now that I have played with the Jamie body clothing options more comprehensively, I have to say that the prevalence, size and prominence of "Senra" tags on more than a few items of clothing bugs me no end.  I think these have the potential to stigmatise the new person because anyone within range will be able to identify them as newbies off the bat no differently from if they were wearing any of the other starter avatars.  Ironically, it would be harder to spot a Senra user that quickly if they were naked.

New people want to look as good as other people from day 1, they don't want to look like new people.  I think the tags are a mistake but hey maybe the idea is to easily identify new people from others at a glance - who knows?

It's so Enforcement Officers from the Ministry of Oppression, can readily spot them when they are outside the Noob Ghetto after Noob Curfew, and demand to see the Noob ID Number tattoo on the Noobs wrist as a prelude to giving them an extensive taste of the riot baton...

Obviously...

• Haha 3

A good looking starter avatar straight out the box is an essential for new user retention imho. Then, when seeing other 'identical twin' avatars, they're going to want to go clothes shopping as fast as they can, rather than drown in issues of alphas and fixing their avvies

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Or it could go the other way. Clubs for Senra avatars only, a militant Senra resistance movement . . . 🤣

I like the way you think! I'll be a class traitor, a mole or fifth columnist buried deep within the establishment, just cuz . . . um . . . it would be fun?

(So long as it doesn't mean I actually have to WEAR that thing!)

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

58 minutes ago, Conifer Dada said:

Clubs for Senra avatars only, a militant Senra resistance movement

Earlier, I had the very same thought about the prominent display of the Senra logo. It seems to function as a means of identifying individuals as esteemed members of the exclusive Senra elites, providing them access to prestigious locations like:

"Rookie Rendezvous": Behold the Rookie Rendezvous, a clandestine venue where newcomers converge for clandestine rendezvous under the moonlit sky. This is a place where innocence meets temptation, and desire sparks like a wildfire. In the dim glow of candlelight, fresh faces are seduced by seasoned tempters, and playful games of flirtation pave the way for steamy encounters. At the Rookie Rendezvous, every moment is an adventure, and inhibitions crumble in the pursuit of untamed pleasure.

"Beginner's Bliss": Step into a world of Beginner's Bliss, where novices bask in a euphoria of exploration and unbridled passion. This sensual sanctuary welcomes new souls with open arms, enticing them with the promise of uncharted pleasures. Here, intimate connections are forged, and the allure of the unknown beckons. Embrace the intoxicating ambiance of Beginner's Bliss, and surrender to the enchanting symphony of desire that plays in the hearts of eager newcomers.

"First Steps Society": Enter the First Steps Society, a sophisticated domain where newbies take their first strides into a realm of adult sophistication. Here, guided by the experienced, they are initiated into the art of seduction and sensual play. Each step is a revelation, as shy glances evolve into lingering touches. The First Steps Society is where innocence is left behind, replaced by a newfound confidence that emboldens newcomers to seek out exhilarating pleasures.

"Nouveau Novices": Enter the world of Nouveau Novices, a realm where the newest of explorers embrace their curious desires. Amidst opulent surroundings, fresh faces find themselves in the company of captivating mentors. Each encounter is a revelation, as innocent hearts and uninhibited souls collide, sparking electrifying chemistry. At Nouveau Novices, the allure of inexperience becomes a celebrated virtue, paving the way for audacious encounters that leave a lasting impression.

"Noobosphere": Step into the Noobosphere, a vibrant world where newcomers experience the transformative power of their desires. This sphere pulses with the energy of passion and curiosity, drawing fresh souls into its magnetic embrace. Here, explorers shed their inhibitions, venturing beyond the confines of familiarity to explore uncharted territories of pleasure. The Noobosphere is where innocent newcomers blossom into daring adventurers, reveling in the euphoria of their liberated fantasies.

• Thanks 1

Although I've spewed early reactions here, I'm kinda hoping they'll prove embarrassing when we see what's coming.

For example, I specifically hope they have something clever up their sleeves about this alpha masking thing. I keep coming back to the fact the clothing items come with no-mod alpha masks. That's just insane unless there's something that changes the whole way alpha masking works. Yeah, it's newbie-wear, but still it's going in everybody's Library, why wouldn't it be obvious this needs to be full perm with the full perm texture included, like all competent creators already distribute? Surely nobody is so daft as to protect the intellectual property represented by an alpha mask!

This would be infuriatingly disappointing if I didn't think there must be some as yet undisclosed technical wizardry in which this all makes sense.

• Like 3

• Administrators
11 hours ago, Qie Niangao said:

Patch said "I can confirm that very well-known content creators (avatar body, head, hair, clothing) came on board with us, as Moles, to work on this project - they are watching your feedback, please keep it human and civil."

Okay, here's my #1 feedback: The Senra clothing items we saw were NO-MOD. They really should have been full perm, but failing that, to encourage adoption they absolutely should be mod-perm.

So should everything in your stores for that matter, but sell whatever you like to whomever you like. The Lab however should never license so much as another pixel that's not distributed to residents with modify permission.

I am going to vehemently disagree with you.   This project is about control of the new user experience.   Allowing for total and free control on content in a dismally confusing system of choices and options that can either hurt or destroy the user experience is not one we will promote.   We want to protect an untrained user from the pitfalls as such.  Full stop.

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 301 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.