NUX Avatar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

48 minutes ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Naria Panthera has a new video of the new user experience with the Senra bodies.

(I can't keep up with these forums today. I've barely had time to go inworld.)

No CC, no watchee. Waste of time to watch something I can't hear well enough to distinguish all the words.

4 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

The Avatar is still in Beta, and if you have any ideas to improve the avatar. I would put in a Jira. That being said, why do you want a HUD for the Senra Avatars? 

For me, multiple foot positions are essential, as are multiple nail colors. A few different hand positions and some choices of nail lengths would be nice. I don't know how these things can be achieved without a HUD.

8 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Naria Panthera has a new video of the new user experience with the Senra bodies.

(I can't keep up with these forums today. I've barely had time to go inworld.)

I think this hits the nail right on the head.

"is look like suburban mom"

6 Crappy shapes, 6 crappy skins, no actual customisation of your face or body shape, and a selection of bad hair and bad clothing that 3d-prints new avatars to fit into the American Suburban Hell that is Belli.

"Little People made of ticky-tacky that all look just the same" to live in "Little boxes made of ticky-tacky that all look just the same". Total conformity, no Goths, no Emos, no Punks,  no tattoos, no piercings, just semi-random 3d-printed suburban moms who jog occasionally, and sometimes temp as typists, or go to court to sue their neighbour for having a nose ring.

That UI is just terrible, only somebody clueless, who had NEVER really used any character editor in any game ever, would think this was "good".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Jennifer Boyle said:

For me, multiple foot positions are essential, as are multiple nail colors. A few different hand positions and some choices of nail lengths would be nice. I don't know how these things can be achieved without a HUD.

I would maybe post a Jira, suggesting that to LL. The body is still in beta, so they probably need all the suggestions they can get. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

The body is still in beta

According to Patch, this labelling was a mistake, and the body is actually in it's final release state.

Any JIRAs would go into a feedback bin for a "future iteration" of the avatars, which aren't in development.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

According to Patch, this labelling was a mistake, and the body is actually in it's final release state.

Any JIRAs would go into a feedback bin for a "future iteration" of the avatars, which aren't in development.

They had made another post about introducing them as beta avatars, meaning they are just in their early phase of development. But they opened it up to the public, or suggestions and Q&A and bug testing.  Just because they released Jamie and Blake, doesn't mean that is they are completely done. That would be like saying that an early access game is fully done, when it's released. I look at this as the same as early access to Blake and Jamie.  

Edited by Sammy Huntsman

5 minutes ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

They had made another post about introducing them as beta avatars, meaning they are just in their early phase of development. But they opened it up to the public, or suggestions and Q&A and bug testing. 

That blog post is the one that triggered the question regarding the beta status of the body, and the response was quite clear that there aren't any future updates to the 2 Senra bodies planned. (The post would seem to indicate that any future iteration would come in the form of an entirely new body)

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

I think this hits the nail right on the head.

"is look like suburban mom"

6 Crappy shapes, 6 crappy skins, no actual customisation of your face or body shape, and a selection of bad hair and bad clothing that 3d-prints new avatars to fit into the American Suburban Hell that is Belli.

"Little People made of ticky-tacky that all look just the same" to live in "Little boxes made of ticky-tacky that all look just the same". Total conformity, no Goths, no Emos, no Punks,  no tattoos, no piercings, just semi-random 3d-printed suburban moms who jog occasionally, and sometimes temp as typists, or go to court to sue their neighbour for having a nose ring.

That UI is just terrible, only somebody clueless, who had NEVER really used any character editor in any game ever, would think this was "good".

I’m a mom with nose ring,very pastel purple hair and a full time job and I even have secret tattoos haha so hm not all moms are semi-random conformists 👀

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Gwin LeShelle said:

I’m a mom with nose ring,very pastel purple hair and a full time job and I even have secret tattoos haha so hm not all moms are semi-random conformists 👀

Congratulations on not being an Offically LL approved SUX Fail-atar Bellicosian Conformity "Little people made of ticky tacky who all look just the same" mom.

Think of the poor noobs who will however be forced into that mould by the SUX Program.

"Welcome to SecondSuburbia LL's World, NO Imagination"

4 minutes ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Congratulations on not being an Offically LL approved SUX Fail-atar Bellicosian Conformity "Little people made of ticky tacky who all look just the same" mom.

Think of the poor noobs who will however be forced into that mould by the SUX Program.

You do realize this is meant for new users and they will probably only wear it temporarily. I really don't see a problem, if it's just something temporary until they transition to one of the big mesh head and body brands. 

• Like 2

Plenty of items already in the library folder they can swap out to look different.  It was the first thing I did when I was new.  Since there really isn't much else in the inventory aside from the library, It's not as if it's hard to find.

• Like 1

It took a gaming company less time to develop a videogame then it took LL to develop this avatar 'upgrade'.

... and Modern Warefare 2 (2009) was a superior product.

Edited by PekeNL
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PekeNL said:

It took a gaming company less time to develop a videogame then it took LL to develop this avatar 'upgrade'.

That is such a terrible comparison, MW2 is totally different from SL.  I meaning you are comparing a triple A game designer company, with a few hundred people on their team, to a smaller company with not as many people on their team and are also working on a crap tonne of other stuff as well. 

Edited by Sammy Huntsman
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

are also working on a crap tonne of other tonne of crap stuff as well. 

Fixed that for you.

Oh yes, let's not forget Project Paralysis, a web cam based trojan malware auto-gurning system with digital arm thrash anti-technology! Requested in numerous posts in numerous threads, and at numerous meetings 99.999999% of SecondLifer's cannot attend by one of the worst self appointed "Saviours" we have.

Yes loads of "really cool" un-features we never asked for and which are totally useless.

Edited by Zalificent Corvinus
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

6 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Just because they released Jamie and Blake, doesn't mean that is they are completely done. 

Actually it does. Linden Lab are known for releasing products and never updating them, even if they promised to do so. Experiences, EEP, BoM, etc were all released with promises that they would be improved and features added gradually but never were.

3 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

That is such a terrible comparison, MW2 is totally different from SL.  I meaning you are comparing a triple A game designer company, with a few hundred people on their team, to a smaller company with not as many people on their team and are also working on a crap tonne of other stuff as well. 

I think you are misunderstanding what PekeNL meant. Whilst yes there were more people working on MW2, even if there were the same amount of people working on the entire game as Second Life, it would not have taken them 2 years to create two mesh bodies with a selection of badly fitting clothes that used a character creation system that was already made.

What's more, according to Patch, very well-known content creators (avatar body, head, hair, clothing) came on board with them, as Moles, to work on this project. They would have had the experience to be able to mesh, rig and UV map the entire body within a matter of months if that. There is nothing demanding in these NUX bodies that would justify 2 years worth of creation time as it is a simple 1 layer mesh body with no complex body hud, etc.

If such an avatar did take 2 years worth of planning, creation, updating website sign-up, etc, then for the quality given with these avatars and the process I have to wonder what they did with all that time. Badly fitting mesh clothes, hair mesh instead of hair bases, generic shapes with no slider customisation on the website update meaning a genetic twin standing next to you when you rez in, etc.

Staff wise at most 5 people would have worked on these bodies in any gaming company be it indie or AAA and even that is a stretch. One for concept, one for meshing/rigging, one for skinning, one for website integration and the other for oversight.

Then you also have the issue's of complicating things for the new user. Now Patch earlier said:

"Allowing for total and free control on content in a dismally confusing system of choices and options that can either hurt or destroy the user experience is not one we will promote."

They have created exactly what they set out not to do. With these avatars new users still have to work out how to use sliders to make themselves look different of which as shown in this and other threads is quite hard (to near impossible) as a lot of customisation sliders dont work, are limited or just dont allow for it based on how the skin and mesh are made.

You also have in the library no indication to a new user what the need of an Alpha mask is, confusing names of content and and options, issues where new people will wear items directly from the library (if they can find the free clothes in there in the first place) and wonder where they are located once worn due to it just putting the item in the object folder instead of showing 'worn' in the library itself'.

So much for not promoting a "dismally confusing system of choices and options".

The vid posted by Naria Panthera and others says it all. So many missed opportunities and in no way has improved the retention of new users.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Zalificent Corvinus said:

Congratulations on not being able to take a basic av and make it your own. You in your edgyness seem to forget that not all people want to be punky, and for real in my punky years I wouldn't have accepted a premade punk av anyways. I would have make it my own and decorate it, THAT'S what SL is all about. Creative people find a way, and make it their own. Will take some time but forced individualness out of the box, is still that. Not unique no matter how many piercings you add. So your arguments are futile. 

We started all from Ruth and we are individuals now. SL always has provided a really small box of AVs just basic enough to play around to make it your own.

And I just have a problem with people like you that open drawers for certain people like mom's, dad's or people living in suburbia. If that's what they want yay, if not they will do something about it. 

Am I happy with those AVs? No. Will I use them? For sure not. Was I happy in 2006 with the red dress black puffy hair girl? Hell no. Did I let that stop me or feel devalued and pressed into something I didn't want to be? For sure not, I knew it was just the start like in ANY online game...it's like starting WOW with crappy armor but someday you will look awesome af xD

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We stayed. They will stay. Retention is not really about avatars is it or none of us would still be here. I came in 2007 still here, and evolved from those ghastly avatar's. 

Retention is about engagement. That will make or break retention. New residents are likely not new to gaming and will work it out just like we all did.

• Like 8

I think the reason it took so long to release such a plain looking avatar with no features, like high heels, or realistic skins, or a basic HUD for nail and head features, or modern hair, or even a decent AO,  is not because the designers were incompetent.  Every time their LL bosses looked at their early results, they were told,  nope that looks too good and might compete with our favorite million linden/month designers' head, skin,  and body products.  Make it worse - take that feature out!   And it took many months to finally come up with the finished product, which competes with nothing - not even the old Library system avatars.  

Trixie and Bitsy are better looking with better default clothing.  Just lose the cute dog Bitsy.

First appearances are important,. They need taller bushes at the Welcome Center for the new arrivals to hide in.

A few newbies, with no lindens, will try to make the Senra heads look unique, and PRETTY, because who wants to enter SL with a homely head? I expect they will soon give up and spend their dollars as LL wants them too, or quit SL.

Edited by Jaylinbridges
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

I'd reply but @Drayke Newall took the words out of my mouth. 

15 hours ago, PekeNL said:

https://danielvoyager.wordpress.com/sl-history/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Life

https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/History_of_Second_Life

15 hours ago, Sammy Huntsman said:

Not only that but it would seem there are those who are completely unfamiliar with SL's early history. SL as Second Life hit the internet less than 2 years after the grid was created.

• Linden Lab was founded in 1999
  • In August 2001 Second Life was called LindenWorld
  • Closed beta began on November 2002 with public beta opening on April 2003
  • Second Life was launched on June 23rd 2003 developed by Linden Lab. CEO and founder Philip Rosedale (Philip Linden)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 271 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.