Event Regions...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Have you lost your minds? I was told these regions would be used at SL19 and guess what?

Have you ever wished you could keep the lag monster at bay during large events?

I am currently at SL19 and am sitting at a measly 16fps with a AMD Ryzen 9, Nvidia 2070 SUPER, 16 gig ram.

Sporting the latest upgrades in grid technologies that have been enabled by our migration to the cloud, these regions have been tested running large events in real-world scenarios such as those really big monthly shopping events, and live performances! Our tests saw nearly 200 avatars successfully able to shop and party in these regions.

Tested on what? Potatoes using the lowest graphic settings? Where did you find 200 fully meshed out avatars? What bodies and heads were they using? 

• Up to 30,000 land impact
    *Region will support up to 30,000 Land Impact. During performance testing, Linden Lab has identified a few cases where exceeding 20,000 Land Impact will degrade performance with a large number of concurrent visitors.

Read the bolded and red part as many times as needed because the asking price below is laughable.

For initial release, we are pleased to offer an introductory price of $599, with no additional setup fee through June 6, 2022. Following the introductory pricing, event regions will have a set-up fee of US$999 (includes first month), and a rate of $899/month after the first 30 days.

I am here, at these event regions and they are NOT WORTH THAT PRICE POINT. Who is this even geared for? Not the average resident. Not even event owners. No one in their right mind would go for this. Real life corporations? We put $900 into our gas tanks monthly now. Sheesh.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Chris Corvinus said:

Tested on what? Potatoes using the lowest graphic settings? Where did you find 200 fully meshed out avatars? What bodies and heads were they using? 

They tested it at a major shopping event. So yes, fully decked out avatars and lots of mesh were present. It wasn't announced upfront, so no one de-scripted either.

26 minutes ago, Chris Corvinus said:

We put $900 into our gas tanks monthly now. Sheesh.

Get a more economical car :) 

And in general: Relax a little. All this stressing cannot be good for your health.

• Like 1

needs like a red carpet roped area with security armed with complexity wands? Fashion can be weaponized.  Wondering what the performance would be like if everyone had an complexity of less than 5000 less than 1000 if that would make difference? and I was wondering do inventories cause lag, like say a person has inventory of 500,000 objects is that going to bog down performance? and if there's 400 of those would that be problem? 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

people treat events like the Met Gala.  Every blingie meshy attachment & bazillion ARC (whatever it’s called today).  & then stand around camming, or standing around waiting to be cammed.

I got news for everyone else at an event. I derender everybody.  I slip out of everything but an alpha mask, turn off the sky & water & just go pushing thru the bodies like I’m lost in a corn maze.  Get what I want & get out.

& it’s still laggy & rubberbandy.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

people treat events like the Met Gala.  Every blingie meshy attachment & bazillion ARC (whatever it’s called today).  & then stand around camming, or standing around waiting to be cammed.

I got news for everyone else at an event. I derender everybody.  I slip out of everything but an alpha mask, turn off the sky & water & just go pushing thru the bodies like I’m lost in a corn maze.  Get what I want & get out.

& it’s still laggy & rubberbandy.

I did the same thing until the crash and I was faced with bunch of big bums (I deleted the photos I sent my mom, cause she was listening to youtube with me had to show her she got kick out of it). Yah bunch of greys and bums and the back of the heads kind of freaked me out the skin applier looked like faces looking at me on the back of the heads cyclops. 1 eye. It was great. 

I was there for the experience. It was perfect imo. even with everything at zero I only crashed 1. Usually during SLB's I crash few times. 

Guessing they want people to be able to dress up and have optimal performance. Letting the professionals sort this one out. They know. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Event regions will do nothing for client side avatar rendering lag .. lots of avatars on your screen, very miserable SL viewer.

This local cap hits way before the region population limits.

Expecting better performance on an event region is like going to a more expensive restaurant hoping to consume a greater volume of food.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Event regions will do nothing for client side avatar rendering lag .. lots of avatars on your screen, very miserable SL viewer.

This local cap hits way before the region population limits.

Expecting better performance on an event region is like going to a more expensive restaurant hoping to consume a greater volume of food.

That is very true. But I mean if he went to a nice restaurant in Texas. He would get the biggest portions he wants. Lol 

• Haha 1

I stopped going to events a few years ago ... I just wasn't finding anything to justify the time spent.

Recently I decided to to go to one, mostly just out of curiosity.

So I did what I always used to do when going to an event: Turn down particles, reduce Max Avatars, minimise my Draw Distance, and ... I put on my low-impact system avatar.

When I arrived it wasn't that busy, which was good, but everyone I could see was high complexity. Some of them were very high ... I run my Max Complexity very high when I'm not at busy locations (I forgot to turn it down before going to the event) and it takes a lot to get jelly-dolled ... yet several of the people attending to the event were immediately subject to the gumby treatment.

I'm afraid my inner-troll came forth ... I dragged my Max Complexity down to the absolute minimum so that the attendees would hopefully enjoy being spammed with the notice that they weren't being rezzed. I'm like that sometimes. Queue Meredith Brooks.

I'm not sure why people thought the thing to do was go to a potentially crowded environment wearing avatars loaded down with cruft ... but as long as they do, events are going to be sub-optimal no matter what LL does to the region.

As an aside - I was far from impressed by what I found there at that event: I did see one pair of boots I quite liked, but when I got closer and had a good look I realised that the creator was actually using the old school bake-the-reflection-into-the-texture approach. And that creator wasn't the only one. Apparently we now have a generation of creators who don't actually understand how to use materials. Yeeesh!

• Like 1

Not sure how they thought this would go down with SLB this time.

I mean they picked a theme where it is normal to bolt on cogs, metal supports, prosthetics all sorts of other hardware bits and bobs.  Sure *SOME* would think very carefully about their render weight and come up with a great but low cost avatar but I'm not sure how they couldn't see that many, many people would just load up as many of those things as possible so that they could be *THE BESTEST* steampunk avatar *EVAR* at the event.  Not hard to see how the theme would encourage them.

Edited by Gabriele Graves
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

They should call them "Crash Event" regions instead. 😆

When I went to the video I saw that it was nearly an hour, and I really couldn't see myself watching the whole thing.

Now I'm 10 minutes in and I can't stop ... it's like watching a train wreck.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

54 minutes ago, AnthonyJoanne said:

When I went to the video I saw that it was nearly an hour, and I really couldn't see myself watching the whole thing.

Now I'm 10 minutes in and I can't stop ... it's like watching a train wreck.

I love how about 20 minutes in Patch is just a cloud and a disembodied voice. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

LL showcased how "efficient/attractive" Event regions were with their trainwreck opening of SL19B:

Pretty embarrassing if you ask me.

They should call them "Crash Event" regions instead. 😆

19! A couple more years and SL will be able to drink beer!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:
15 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

We are allowed to drink at 18 in my country. CHEERS!

Can't use the fails as a drinking game due to high risk of alcohol poisoning.

• Haha 1

SL isn't really 19, as it's already over 20 years old.

Want some proof? Teleport to Sansara continent and examine the ages of some of the oldest things to be found there, such as The Man Statue in Natoma, Stellar Sunshine's Beanstalk in Welsh and Governor Linden's Mansion in Clementina (which Stellar Sunshine also built). You'll find they were all built in 2002, not 2003.

The public had some limited access to SL in March 2002. Stellar Sunshine was SL's first ever public resident, she created her account on 13th March 2002. Ironically, Stellar is one day older than Philip Rosedale's "Philip Linden" account of 14th March 2002.

Back in March of 2002, SL was called "Linden World", not "Second Life". "Linden World" existed as a closed access testing environment, which Stellar Sunshine and 24 other members of the public were invited to be participate as members of LL's "Early Creator" program. This period of SL's history is known as the Alpha Test period.

On 30th October 2002, the "Linden World" name was changed to "Second Life". SL began a limited closed access Beta Test period in November 2002, with an initial group of sixteen "San Francisco Street" named regions, before a wider open access public Beta Test period began in April 2003 with 31 sim regions.

SL did not magically appear (with 48 sim regions) from nowhere on 23rd June 2003; this date is only its full "consumer version" v1.0 public launch date, although it is treated by LL as SL's official birthday.

The first SLB event celebrated this 23rd June public launch date a year later in 2004. This SLB event was continued in subsequent years as a "birthday" for SL.

I find it sad and disappointing (especially for its Alpha/Beta test pioneers) that the whole of 2002 (and all references to Linden World and its Alpha/Beta testers) is either missing or ignored from the official SLB history exhibits, presumably to maintain a false myth of 2003 being SL's first year.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

27 minutes ago, Love Zhaoying said:

16 minutes ago, Jules Catlyn said:

We are allowed to drink at 18 in my country. CHEERS!

In New Zealand we have no legal minimum drinking age.  You can only purchase alcohol when you are 18 however.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.