Event Regions...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

50 minutes ago, rasterscan said:

SL was very nearly a 3d shoot 'em up back in the begining. Theres a vid on youtube to prove it but I lost the link. Anyway, sl is an amazing project that still enthralls 18 years later despite the lag.

Here it is. Recorded in August 2001 by Andrew Linden and when SL was called Linden World.

Edited by SarahKB7 Koskinen
  • Thanks 1

175 avatars is crowded.

You could get a full region and two cam sims for half that price, plus still put a few places in the cam sims.

I'm trying to figure out where the catch is to wanting to spend more money.

Is it supposed to be the performance that makes these event regions so awesome?

175 people in a sim at the same time in an event like Level and the vendors are gonna jam up,  because so many people are gonna be clicking on the popular vendors at the same time.. lol

Let alone all those lingerers hanging around the landing point that never seem to be able to move, because screw anyone else coming to the event, I'mma start caming from here . hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

175 avatars is crowded.

You could get a full region and two cam sims for half that price, plus still put a few places in the cam sims.

I'm trying to figure out where the catch is to wanting to spend more money.

Is it supposed to be the performance that makes these event regions so awesome?

175 people in a sim at the same time in an event like Level and the vendors are gonna jam up,  because so many people are gonna be clicking on the popular vendors at the same time.. lol

Let alone all those lingerers hanging around the landing point that never seem to be able to move, because screw anyone else coming to the event, I'mma start caming from here . hehehe

LL have mentioned that in their testing, it was found the existing setups events use (i.e. a single main region with a few satellite (cam) regions) is actually worse for performance vs having all the avatars in a single region on a higher powered machine.

Scripts are a weird one that is harder to quantify, as it relies on, among other things:

• the region's available script time (Event regions have more script time available, due to being allocated more resources)
  • execution time of a given script (the higher this is, the worse the vendor will jam up as it falls behind relative to the demand - this (I believe) is consistent between regular regions and event regions,  and can only be tweaked by optimizations from the script's creator).
  • amount of avatars entering the region (as the region will stall for a short moment while an avatar's data is retrieved)

(also, during the SLB opening the regions were handling in the area of ~400 avatars!)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

LL have mentioned that in their testing, it was found the existing setups events use (i.e. a single main region with a few satellite (cam) regions) is actually worse for performance vs having all the avatars in a single region on a higher powered machine.

Scripts are a weird one that is harder to quantify, as it relies on, among other things:

• the region's available script time (Event regions have more script time available, due to being allocated more resources)
  • execution time of a given script (the higher this is, the worse the vendor will jam up as it falls behind relative to the demand - this (I believe) is consistent between regular regions and event regions,  and can only be tweaked by optimizations from the script's creator).
  • amount of avatars entering the region (as the region will stall for a short moment while an avatar's data is retrieved)

(also, during the SLB opening the regions were handling in the area of ~400 avatars!)

I'll have to take a trip over there if things calm down some.

I haven't been in one of the event sims yet, it made me really curious where the attraction was to them..

Thank you for the information. :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jenna Huntsman said:

Worse performance .. FOR THEM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

SL is already over 20 years old.

Want some proof? Teleport to Sansara continent and examine the ages of some of the oldest things to be found there, such as The Man Statue in Natoma, Stellar Sunshine's Beanstalk in Welsh and Governor Linden's Mansion in Clementina (which Stellar Sunshine also built). You'll find they were all built in 2002, not 2003.

The public had some limited access to SL in March 2002. Stellar Sunshine was SL's first ever public resident, she created her account on 13th March 2002. Ironically, Stellar is one day older than Philip Rosedale's "Philip Linden" account of 14th March 2002.

Back in March of 2002, SL was called "Linden World", not "Second Life". "Linden World" existed as a limited public access testing environment, which Stellar Sunshine and 24 other members of the public were invited to be part of. This period of SL's history is known as the Alpha Test period.

On 30th October 2002, the "Linden World" name was changed to "Second Life". SL began a limited closed access Beta Test period in November 2002, with an initial group of sixteen "San Francisco Street" named regions, before a wider open access public Beta Test period began in April 2003 with 31 sim regions.

SL did not magically appear from nowhere on 23rd June 2003, this date is only its full "consumer version" v1.0 public launch date, although it is treated by LL as SL's birthday.

The first SLB event celebrated this 23rd June public launch date a year later in 2004. This SLB event was continued in subsequent years as a "birthday" for SL. But it is not SL's true birthday.

I find it sad and disappointing to SL history (and especially for its Alpha/Beta test pioneers) that the whole of 2002 (and all references to Linden World and its Alpha/Beta testers) is either missing or ignored from the official SLB history exhibits, presumably to maintain a false myth of 2003 being SL's first year of origin.

I think you may be in the wrong thread.

6 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

Here it is. Recorded in August 2001 by Andrew Linden and when SL was called Linden World.

But it was also a totally different premise from second life. Second life didn't become Second Life until June 23rd 2003. This was technically just an early concept. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SarahKB7 Koskinen said:

SL is already over 20 years old.

Want some proof? Teleport to Sansara continent and examine the ages of some of the oldest things to be found there, such as The Man Statue in Natoma, Stellar Sunshine's Beanstalk in Welsh and Governor Linden's Mansion in Clementina (which Stellar Sunshine also built). You'll find they were all built in 2002, not 2003.

The public had some limited access to SL in March 2002. Stellar Sunshine was SL's first ever public resident, she created her account on 13th March 2002. Ironically, Stellar is one day older than Philip Rosedale's "Philip Linden" account of 14th March 2002.

Back in March of 2002, SL was called "Linden World", not "Second Life". "Linden World" existed as a limited public access testing environment, which Stellar Sunshine and 24 other members of the public were invited to be part of. This period of SL's history is known as the Alpha Test period.

On 30th October 2002, the "Linden World" name was changed to "Second Life". SL began a limited closed access Beta Test period in November 2002, with an initial group of sixteen "San Francisco Street" named regions, before a wider open access public Beta Test period began in April 2003 with 31 sim regions.

SL did not magically appear from nowhere on 23rd June 2003, this date is only its full "consumer version" v1.0 public launch date, although it is treated by LL as SL's birthday.

The first SLB event celebrated this 23rd June public launch date a year later in 2004. This SLB event was continued in subsequent years as a "birthday" for SL. But it is not SL's true birthday.

I find it sad and disappointing to SL history (and especially for its Alpha/Beta test pioneers) that the whole of 2002 (and all references to Linden World and its Alpha/Beta testers) is either missing or ignored from the official SLB history exhibits, presumably to maintain a false myth of 2003 being SL's first year of origin.

Because Linden Worlds was a totally different premise from SL. Linden Worlds was a totally different concept, than that of SL. And yes 2003 was when SL officially opened its doors to the public. This is literally what they are celebrating. 

• Like 1

I found that while I could get on the event regions with 140 or 160 or whatever they were attempting at the four corners, I couldn't move or see and crashed.

The expo areas are incredibly laggy and I'm trying to figure out why. The Lindens have gotten better at making Shop 'n Hop less laggy, possibly by dialing down their own decor.

But at the expo, they did not require that people not use 1024 textures, and only use 512, which is a key reason why people don't get visibility on their machines. They did have script limits but I don't know how much they really policed them.

When you have one small 2048 lot after another with its own music settings and worse, it's own Windlight settings, I think that also creates lag on the user end loading and unloading all that jazz.

Even so, it's worth going to.

• Like 2

I think Event regions need to come with 60,000 max prims like the 4 regions the Arboretum uses for SL19B.

More user capacity is one thing, but the same prims as a 30k region at almost 3.5x the price? Come on.

Gimme 100k prims to make me feel like I'm getting my money's worth.

If LL ever offered large regions, like 1024x1024, 2048x2048 and 4096x4096, I wonder what they'd charge for them?

🦾🦿👶?

• Like 1

Gota factor in the new "Performance Viewer" I rocking the mini map test viewer. Something's wrong with the performance one its stutters.

Usually with past viewers if I low all the settings i'm nearly zero lag, performance one not so much? Installed this one today cause I could not take the micro freezing while walking annoying. Second Life Release 6.6.1.572179 (64bit) Not sure if I had a bad install or what with it. 

Second Life Release 6.6.1.572179 (64bit) does it too just got chance to get out and run some roads I've always ran. It's like a vehicle that's about to die or misfiring power for a sec, loss of power for a sec, power for a sec, loss of power for a sec. Some of the freezes last couple seconds and by time I come to I'm in someone's yard (not normal). Going to try earlier viewer. It's like going to region crossings while traveling inside a region. 

Second Life Release 6.5.6.571575 (64bit) freezes too going earlier

Not seeing a downloadable earlier version. My guess would have something to do with viewer. 

Edited by Paulsian

This one works Second Life Release 6.5.4.570575 (64bit) It's like when I run instead of me freezing and stuttering the world does as it renders/ while it's loading which does not impact my avatar performance as noticeably. And that's without lowering my settings. 

This is going to sound really crazy but when I lowered my settings that's when performance started getting worse. It's the advanced lighting model. When it's disabled causes freezing. Viewer did not like local light disabled. Logged out and back in stutter/lag with local lighting disabled. 

Edited by Paulsian
  • Like 1

This is strange too. Alpha object casting shadow. Sun/Moon & Sun/Moon plus Projections doing it? Unsure if that's a problem with the current version. I'm getting out of this earlier one. 

Annotation 2022-06-19 081435.jpg

image_2022-06-19_08-24-00.png

Edited by Paulsian

What does any of this have to do with the OP and event regions?   Maybe try the viewer sub forums?

8 hours ago, Paulsian said:

I found earlier versions of the official viewer in my download history installed this one Second_Life_6_6_0_571507_x86_64_Setup and when attempting to run it received this pop up. 

Annotation 2022-06-18 235437.jpg

This one works Second Life Release 6.5.4.570575 (64bit) It's like when I run instead of me freezing and stuttering the world does as it renders/ while it's loading which does not impact my avatar performance as noticeably. And that's without lowering my settings. 

This is going to sound really crazy but when I lowered my settings that's when performance started getting worse. It's the advanced lighting model. When it's disabled causes freezing. Viewer did not like local light disabled. Logged out and back in stutter/lag with local lighting disabled. 

39 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

This is strange too. Alpha object casting shadow. Sun/Moon & Sun/Moon plus Projections doing it? Unsure if that's a problem with the current version. I'm getting out of this earlier one. 

Annotation 2022-06-19 081435.jpg

image_2022-06-19_08-24-00.png

21 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

When I go back to the current version of the viewer: 6.6.0.571939 I get this pop up. Maybe another clue. Something to do with the rendering subsystem?

Annotation 2022-06-19 083217.jpg

19 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

I attempt to log in to current official viewer and get this: Was able to log in after 2nd attempt. 

Annotation 2022-06-19 083218.jpg

15 minutes ago, Paulsian said:

Current version of the official viewer is casting shadows on avatar parts that are alpha. That's all I know for now. 

Annotation 2022-06-19 083219.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 685 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.