Hey, we all live in the Metaverse.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Anything with added Zukerblob*, or even a dash of Glugg*, count me out.

* Zukerblog, one of the demons of the deepest pit of hell.

* Glugg, aka Nick Clegg, formerly a UK politician, now one of the demons of the deepest pit of hell.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

The Origin of 'Metaverse'

Neal Stephenson coined the term, and established a vision of a “computer generated universe,” in his 1992 novel Snow Crash:

“In the lingo, this imaginary place is known as the Metaverse. Hiro spends a lot of time in the Metaverse.”

Meta- here efficiently conveys the idea of transcending reality (as in metaphysics) and the more current use of meta as an adjective meaning “self-referential” or knowingly distinct from the conventional and concrete world.

A term coined even before Second Life.

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

The Origin of 'Metaverse'

Neal Stephenson coined the term, and established a vision of a “computer generated universe,” in his 1992 novel Snow Crash:

“In the lingo, this imaginary place is known as the Metaverse. Hiro spends a lot of time in the Metaverse.”

Meta- here efficiently conveys the idea of transcending reality (as in metaphysics) and the more current use of meta as an adjective meaning “self-referential” or knowingly distinct from the conventional and concrete world.

A term coined even before Second Life.

Right, and Zuckerberg shouldn't get to use this word as if it only applies to his version of virtual reality.  In both Snow Crash and Ready Player One the virtual environment was readily available to most people, allowed users to create their own avatars or buy ones that other people had created, allowed for commerce inworld that could also be for RL items, had elements of a black market or "wild west" kind of commercial exchange, video game violence and competition, sexual elements, and dangers that could spill into physical reality.  SL comes fairly close to these visions of a metaverse in my opinion, but there is not actually a real metaverse in present day reality, only a collection of disconnected virtual worlds. If anything, the Internet itself is the closest thing we have to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse, even though it's mostly 2 dimensional.

Edited by Persephone Emerald
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Yes, we are aware that there is already a different, tangentially related topic on the board.

I wasn't trying to imply 'there's already another thread about this, go away, loser', just more of a link for reference if people wanted to read it

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alexbluesea said:

I wasn't trying to imply 'there's already another thread about this, go away, loser', just more of a link for reference if people wanted to read it

1. No mention of such an implied meaning was made.
  2. A link dump with no context - bound to have someone reacting in a way you did not intend.
  • Like 1

Interesting article:  The Metaverse is a new word for an old idea:

https://www.technologyreview.com/2022/02/08/1044732/metaverse-history-snow-crash/

And a fun virtual tour of one of the old worlds, the Great Exhibition of 1851:

https://www.seymourlerhn.com/royalparks/greatexhibition/explore.pano?reference=1&id=4

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Exhibition

Edited by Luna Bliss

Since we're linking things, I found this article to be somewhat amusing. I found it a few weeks ago -  https://www.pcgamer.com/gabe-newell-metaverse/

Especially this quote from Gabe (president of Valve):

"I'm friends with Neal Stephenson, and every time we get together, he just puts his face in his hands. So it's like, 'okay, what metaverse story is driving you insane today?'"

*gigglesnort*

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Persephone Emerald said:

Right, and Zuckerberg shouldn't get to use this word as if it only applies to his version of virtual reality.  In both Snow Crash and Ready Player One the virtual environment was readily available to most people, allowed users to create their own avatars or buy ones that other people had created, allowed for commerce inworld that could also be for RL items, had elements of a black market or "wild west" kind of commercial exchange, video game violence and competition, sexual elements, and dangers that could spill into physical reality.  SL comes fairly close to these visions of a metaverse in my opinion, but there is not actually a real metaverse in present day reality, only a collection of disconnected virtual worlds. If anything, the Internet itself is the closest thing we have to Neil Stephenson's Metaverse, even though it's mostly 2 dimensional.

In various interviews both written and those on video, Facebook’s metaverse seems to revolve around being a consumer with a heavy focus on in world shopping over basic socialization. While you can have a custom avatar, meet new people, and visit various social events there is always a big emphasis on Real Life brands. It comes off as a virtual Amazon market place rather than a social experiment.

Worlds 3D, Second Life, IMVU, are unique when it comes to it’s user base and how it’s shaped the overall experience. Facebook’s Metaverse they want the brands to do that for you.

5 hours ago, Phoebe Avro said:

Mark will be purchasing SL soon! who wants a bet?

What a nightmare that would be.

• Like 1

The modern interpretation of "metaverse" isn't what Stephenson imagined or like SL in anyway.

It's more of a risk avoidance strategy by large corporations wishing to blend previously separate product strands under a larger umbrella, why take a risk on something new when you can make it a part of something everyone already likes. Virtual spaces might be a part of the metaverse, but they are not the singular point of access. 

If you think FB changed to Meta just so they could make a crappy VR app with legless avatars, you're missing a much larger part of the picture.

It's more about deeply interconnecting previously separate properties and moving generational growth away from pure acquisition. Think CompuServe or AOL on steroids, spanning communications, media franchises, content delivery platforms and interconnecting spaces (such as virtual worlds) with content targeting all key demographics and leading users between services.

In modern corporate use of the term, SL is not a metaverse.

21 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I just checked. I still have legs.
So I guess, I don't live in the metaverse.

Other day one of my cousins was excited about a "metaverse" when she showed me her avi on Zucky Chucky's platform and all that. I fired up SL and showed her and she went "you copied me but your avi has legs!"  I told her I didn't copy her as I have been in SL for almost 15 years, long before Freakbook was that thing. She was totally shocked. I had a laugh though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

Other day one of my cousins was excited about a "metaverse" when she showed me her avi on Zucky Chucky's platform and all that. I fired up SL and showed her and she went "you copied me but your avi has legs!"  I told her I didn't copy her as I have been in SL for almost 15 years, long before Freakbook was that thing. She was totally shocked. I had a laugh though.

Well... that was one case where having the DOB on your profile proved to be useful and not harmful.

• Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.