I'm Being Watched!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

Everyone's either ignoring me or comfortable with me these days, I guess.

I feel like a declawed lion.

No way! You're cool 😎

I will represent you in SL court, to get your previous convictions quashed.

It was just shenanigans 🙂

Edited by Rat Luv
  • Like 4

On 3/20/2022 at 3:41 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Yeah, the forum software isn't very good at ignoring naughty words that just happen to be embedded in the name of things/people.   There are Residents with the last name Sweet.water (period added to keep it from starring out) - if we try to name them here in the forums, their name gets starred out because of the naughty word starting with 'tw' that is embedded in the name. 

I assume we can still use cartoon and "hillbilly" faux-cursing, examples: tarnation, dagnabbit, consarned, etc.

• Like 2

On 3/20/2022 at 1:31 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

Usually, if you get a point with the warning, then you will also be temporarily suspended from posting - for at least a day, sometimes longer.  And some of those forum suspensions can also have an inworld suspension to go with it.

This happened to me.  A 36 hour ban from logging into my SL inworld account, or my acct web page, or the community pages including these forums. 

What was my crime?  I and others were trying to help someone who had no clue how off parcel Media works, and was complaining about it here on a Technical Forum.  We all kept telling her how it actually worked and what she needed to do on her own parcel.  This was regarded as a personal attack by her, and apparently submitted AR's and complaints every time we posted the information she needed.  There was no personal attacks, no profanity, nothing but one upset lady that didn't like our advice.  Based on this the moderator hid about 30 posts, and I got a 0 pt Warning for Abusive Behaviour, AND a 36 hr ban from logging into Second Life.

So don't blame this on some robot program - I assume  Governance has to approve a blanket ban from SL.

I never got a response to my appeal, or any specific reason for the Warning, or my ban.  But it is one reason I will never post here with my main account.

My Warning point was from "profanity".  I used the common word for a street walking lady in a post, that starts with W. Than was back in 2019.  My coveted warning point was not related to the above 0 pt warning and ban.

24401ec906059aaa6f48a3fdbdadbee0.png

Edited by Jaylinbridges

12 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

This happened to me.  A 36 hour ban from logging into my SL inworld account, or my acct web page, or the community pages including these forums. 

What was my crime?  I and others were trying to help someone who had no clue how off parcel Media works, and was complaining about it here on a Technical Forum.  We all kept telling her how it actually worked and what she needed to do on her own parcel.  This was regarded as a personal attack by her, and apparently submitted AR's and complaints every time we posted the information she needed.  There was no personal attacks, no profanity, nothing but one upset lady that didn't like our advice.  Based on this the moderator hid about 30 posts, and I got a 0 pt Warning for Abusive Behaviour, AND a 36 hr ban from logging into Second Life.

As I wrote in a post in another thread recently, there are some actual idiots here who have the power to do that. And there have been some here for quite a few years. You are one of many against whom they have displayed their stupidity.

Edited by Phil Deakins

They were supposed to have stopped banning people inworld for forum infractions some years ago. Apparently, some didn't get the memo or they are just ignoring it and doing as they please. Including making erroneous assumptions about a person's intelligence and wording.

13 hours ago, Jaylinbridges said:

This was regarded as a personal attack by her, and apparently submitted AR's and complaints every time we posted the information she needed. 

If this "commonly" resulted in bans, the thin-skinned would get us all banned a lot more often!

Most people seem to take "sorry, you're incorrect.." as a personal attack. 

• Like 1

Some of the minions sometimes forget that we are their customers. We bring in the coins.
The ones they see printed on their pay checks every given period.
The ones who swing a ban hammer should realize that and be very careful to use theirs.

Sometimes swinging the hammer is unavoidable, but it should be the last thing out of the toolbox of the moderator to use.

Not everyone who can push a button makes a good moderator.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

On 3/20/2022 at 10:07 AM, Quartz Mole said:

No, the automatic flagging system objected to something in your post, though heaven alone knows what.   It does that sometimes for reasons no one understands.   Anyway, I've unhidden it.

What I was thinking. Many news paper sites with comments enabled will flag comments if certain words are used. Although I did encounter one site who the admin tweaked to ask "Are you sure you want to use the word "something" which would need moderator approval?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

They were supposed to have stopped banning people inworld for forum infractions some years ago. Apparently, some didn't get the memo or they are just ignoring it and doing as they please. Including making erroneous assumptions about a person's intelligence and wording.

There was a discussion about it when Tommy was posting regularly, but I don't remember anyone saying that it had even been considered. I'd hoped that common sense had penetrated their brains, but that hope proved to be totally misplaced.

I think it's a only a few moderator idiots who did/do it, but all of them are tarnished by the few, and the fact that their leader doesn't, or didn't, stop it....

On 3/20/2022 at 11:31 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

And not in a good way.

I just posted a reply in the Answers Forum and received a Notice: "Your response must be approved by a moderator", and my reply was flagged as "Hidden". I surmise from this that one or more of my recent posts has been judged to be too...harsh? Critical? Not-nice?...and that my submissions are being monitored.

Either that or their Censorship Engine has got an awfully sensitive set of triggers.

I guess I will be joining Phil Deakins's "Proud To Be Suspended Club" soon.

What's weird about the Hidden Posts thing is that your post can be hidden, but someone who replied to your post and obviously included your post in their reply is not Hidden and your post is thus still there, so you can reply to them and it stays. So the system isn't that efficient, really. 

• Haha 1

On 3/24/2022 at 9:20 PM, Jaylinbridges said:

So don't blame this on some robot program - I assume  Governance has to approve a blanket ban from SL.

I never got a response to my appeal, or any specific reason for the Warning, or my ban.  But it is one reason I will never post here with my main account.

My Warning point was from "profanity".  I used the common word for a street walking lady in a post, that starts with W. Than was back in 2019.  My coveted warning point was not related to the above 0 pt warning and ban.

24401ec906059aaa6f48a3fdbdadbee0.png

I personally think this system is more driven by people with their fingers on the AR button over every little thing than it is by Lindens actually reading text, and that if a posse gets up to all smash their pudgy little paws on the AR button, then the Lindens feel as if they "must" act. They must respond to the "commuuuunity", as if that posse was such a thing.

There are a number of cures for this problem, which has repeated over the years and then gets corrected by top management and personnel shifted around and people like me "permabanned for life" are brought back because a wiser Linden prevails.

First, make a mirror site so that you can always see what it is that prompted some of these crazy bans. That requires copying your every post, which may disappear if "moderated" or if you are "disciplined". That gets boring and hard quick and few would want to make that commitment. Still, some would at least occasionally, enough to make it worthwhile. When you hold up a mirror to a phenomenon like this, it can change it. Maybe not quickly. But over time.

Second, you announce that you will never AR anyone for any reason at all. You won't feed the system.

Third, and only for the hardcore, you decide that you will only respond to people who have pledged never to AR anyone over anything. So that way you build up a society of people who are not needless narcs, who are adults who can argue and disagree vehemently yet remain amicable associates for the grander task of building a virtual society.

You could put a symbol like a crossed-out telephone on your avatar, i.e. you will not drop a dime on another avatar.

Some pedantic would worry that actual incitement to violence or discrimination would occur "untended," but of course it wouldn't, as the Lindens have software to flag words and phrases indicating heated emotion, and have their legions of fanboyz to AR such things, which ought to stand out anyway to the person on duty at the time.

So when I have the patience to work Paint, I will make such an avatar insignia. I realize few other people will want to take this pledge, especially no. 3.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Coffee Pancake said:

Right .. so you will never AR someone, but you will post thousand word personal attacks (with screenshots of chat) to Twitter, safely beyond the reach of Linden consequence.

Yes, indeed I will. LL does not have jurisdiction outside its servers, nor should it. Twitter is still relatively free, despite its "Safety Notices" and other silly things. Criticizing someone or some business is hardly the same thing as ARing them and trying to bring damage to their livelihood or peace of mind. Criticizing them about their bad behaviour is hardly "a personal attack" which implies that there is something "illegitimate" about the criticism or the content. There isn't. Criticism of a public figure for bad deeds, real or imagined, is the lifeblood of liberal democracy. That you can't distinguish the difference is one of the reasons for posting outside these forums. So I'll put you down as NOT joining the honour brigade then. Thanks for sharing!

Edited by Prokofy Neva
  • Haha 1

Since AR'ing a post or thread is type of response I think it would be great and justifiable if there was a icon for it beside the Like, Thank, Sad, Confused ones so that one know how many AR's they get and who does them. That would make the forums a little more exciting rather then being able to hide behind this anonymity thing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Since AR'ing a post or thread is type of response I think it would be great and justifiable if there was a icon for it beside the Like, Thank, Sad, Confused ones so that one know how many AR's they get and who does them. That would make the forums a little more exciting rather then being able to hide behind this anonymity thing.

That is an absolutely brilliant idea. I have always said that the Lindens should publish at least the most severe ARs inworld that they act on as a kind of police blotter -- indeed they used to do a very selective version of this years ago, but I always said it should be published with the name of the person who made the AR and the name of the person who was punished *as it would be in real life in a real court of law*. 

I think the Lindens will never go for your idea. But wouldn't it be interesting if there was such transparency! And I think a corollary effect would be that if someone saw a post that had 10 ARs on it, they would be afraid to answer it for fear of racking up one themselves. Not that that would be a good thing.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 919 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.