Do you find it harder to talk to "perfect" avis?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 3/17/2022 at 1:47 PM, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I find it difficult to communicate with people with different interests.
it has nothing to do with how perfect their avatar looks.
After all, Avatar perfection means nothing to me.
it just shows that the user has passion and spends a lot of time with the game, completely unrelated to their personality

Yea exactly, I can't talk to teenage boy avatars who giggle and call me daddy. They're so deeply in that RP and it creeps me out........a lot. It really does depend on the hobbies and interests. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

8 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

avatar gender dowsnt matter but faking real

gender is  really matter,  if you want to develope freidnship with human being behind the vaatar.

yeayea i know some person just want to connect with the pixel rather than the user behind avi, .

so there are 2 types

1. me want friend with your avatar ( not with you, so if your avatra ugly, move along )

2. me want friend with you.

I often see profiles wherein it is said that R/L is R/L and S/L is S/L, which I take to mean that such a person draws a line between the two. Those who see S/L as an extenuation of R/L tend to be more interested in the specifics of what others are in R/L and I tend to avoid those anyway as I personally am not looking at virtual as being a R/L dating site. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I often see profiles wherein it is said that R/L is R/L and S/L is S/L, which I take to mean that such a person draws a line between the two. Those who see S/L as an extenuation of R/L tend to be more interested in the specifics of what others are in R/L and I tend to avoid those anyway as I personally am not looking at virtual as being a R/L dating site. 

It doesn't always mean that people are looking for SL to be a RL dating site.  I'm more interested in getting to know real people and not people roleplaying.  Of course the specifics such as name, address and all that doesn't really matter but if someone said they were from California I might talk about things relevant to that. If they are just making it up then it really becomes a fake conversation at that point and that I'm not interested in.

• Like 2

How someone's avatar looks doesn't matter at all to me, if a person's personality and the way they communicate doesn't reel me in then what is the point?

I much prefer a decent person that knows how to carry a conversation with someone, over someone who got an avatar that might be "perfect" in someone's view.

What is charming in the end is the personality of a person.

• Like 1

I'm not aiming to have a beautiful avatar.
I'm more a Joe Average type, just like in RL.
When in SL I don't socialize very active, but I will never start a conversation with someone who spends obviously all their time to optimize their avatars.
That is so not me.
My looks and outfits are 13 in a dozen in RL and SL, and I'm most comfy to start a conversation with a similar person.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 4

It kind of makes me sad that some of the people I end up approaching and think have particularly interesting profiles/avatars often have seen me around but avoided me because of this. They often have it in their head that they're not as "hot" or that I'd probably ignore them. The same with folks on Flickr afraid to ask if I'd be interested to collaborate. Nah, I respond when I can--I can usually talk to and get along with everyone--I like working with anyone, help and learn all of the same.

TLDR: No.  

18 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I found hard to talk with these type person

in sl I interest only about dressing avatar and exploring sim ,

bdsm, roleplay ,build and scripingt not in the list of my interest.

recently  i start to learn about skin and tattoo. but of course knowledge baout this not to share with other 🤪

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist

17 hours ago, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

It doesn't always mean that people are looking for SL to be a RL dating site.  I'm more interested in getting to know real people and not people roleplaying.  Of course the specifics such as name, address and all that doesn't really matter but if someone said they were from California I might talk about things relevant to that. If they are just making it up then it really becomes a fake conversation at that point and that I'm not interested in.

yes I agree, non roleplay conversations that don't concern real life, always end up in fake conversation and cant get long. and they start to play gestures, fake compliment ..etc.

19 hours ago, Robberinthemuseum said:

Yea exactly, I can't talk to teenage boy avatars who giggle and call me daddy. They're so deeply in that RP and it creeps me out........a lot. It really does depend on the hobbies and interests. 

I once met a female avatar, and we talk, but she start to roleplay, when I ask where you come from, she said she is abandon by her daddy in forest🤣II feel irritated with this kind of conversat ion. and  ignore her.

Edited by Kalegthepsionicist
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Kalegthepsionicist said:

I once met a female avatar, and we talk, but she start to roleplay, when I ask where you come from, she said she is abandon by her daddy in forest🤣II feel irritated with this kind of conversat ion. and  ignore her.

I've done that when people have crept on my alt.

Stranger: "Hi"
Me: "Hi?"
Stranger: "Where you from?"
Me: "Oh, I flew here from Nautilus."
Stranger: "No, where you live?"
Me: "Satori!"
Stranger: "No in RL"
Me: "Oh. Not Satori."

It worked, they gave up!

• Like 7
  • Haha 2

22 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I often see profiles wherein it is said that R/L is R/L and S/L is S/L, which I take to mean that such a person draws a line between the two.

Although I tend to think that they are lying to themselves, and that people for whom this is really 100% true, aren't in SL in the first place. 

No, I don't find "perfect" avatars intimidating to talk to, but, as for many others, it seems, I'd rather chat up "interesting" people. If I'm already going to pluck up my courage to talk to anyone first, they better interest me than be perfect. That said, perfect and interesting isn't mutually exclusive.

• Like 1

In my experience, a hesitation or reluctance to approach an interesting avatar is usually based around a single bad experience. Imagine being a new player or someone looking to branch out as they message someone who tickles their fancy with a simple “hello” or an inquiry as to where they purchased their clothing (especially if they haven’t viewed their profile prior to first contact) only to discover they have insulted a six thousand year old vampire princess who heads up a family of elite ninja kitsune who finds greetings such as “hi” or “hello” insulting as they demand at least a small novel’s worth of creative writing to even begin speaking to them. You’d be hesitant to speak with others in the future after you were taught the way of the blade.

From the vantage point of the so called perfect avatar perhaps years in second life with various similar experiences, drama, or something that causes a social stress ends up leaving people very jaded with odd expectations for the community at large. I have spent this amount of currency while training in the mountains on scared linden lands to create perfection thus you should treat me with more or a special kind of respect. That mindset can keep others out of various role playing communities given they want you to have this many years and be this eloquent with various languages and know the lore which is a two thousand word essay which was written onto a note-card.

It’s odd in a such a social game we’ve created so many personal barriers within our minds that it ends up causing us to be less social. (not to mention social nuances concerning language barriers, interpreted context, regional mannerisms, ect ect ect)

• Like 3

I don't ever initiate conversations with people. So no, I don't have that problem. I'm a very shy, bashful and anxious person even in sl. It's not in my nature to start a conversation with people I don't know. My close family and friends are different.

A few years ago I got it into my head I wanted to step out of my shell and meet new friends. That period in my life didn't last long, but I started a few conversations at that time. I've never gone by looks, but by profile. Perfection doesn't exist so how can I be intimidated by something that is pure myth?

• Like 1

I don't consider my avatar as perfect or beautiful, yet I do get told I am cute often. People do tend to shy away from me for looking like I do but I love how I look, and I cannot help if they think my imperfections is perfect. I will say this, the fact that you are here trying to be as beautiful as possible, to yourself or those around you, can be considered an imperfection.

Think about it, if you don't want to be seen as ugly, you work on yourself to be beautiful and appealing to the eye, this is trying to correct imperfections that you see and yet it is an imperfection that is never ending. You find flaws and you want to fix them, you become abnormal and abnormal is a synonym for imperfection.

Either way, imperfections make you beautiful so with this, to me there are no perfect avatars... just opinions.

~~I will say this, I only require people to have a decent look, if they're trying to hit on me. Just have some sort of care for yourself, you don't have to be "drop dead smoking holy crap, you are a God/dess, where have you been all of my life you; being of smexiness?" Other than that, I will talk to anyone who is friendly and don't mind a bit of sassiness and sarcasm.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Orwar said:

I've done that when people have crept on my alt.

Stranger: "Hi"
Me: "Hi?"
Stranger: "Where you from?"
Me: "Oh, I flew here from Nautilus."
Stranger: "No, where you live?"
Me: "Satori!"
Stranger: "No in RL"
Me: "Oh. Not Satori."

It worked, they gave up!

Yeah, my response to "Where are you from?" is "Southern Satori." If they're looking for time zones I'll tell them freely I'm in SLT, but not *where* in SLT.

I will speak about RL, but situationally, not specifically. General things about the region, like weather or how terrible the local school district is, but the more information some people get out of you the more they press to get more and it starts to get *reaaaly* creepy fast.

• Like 3

On 3/17/2022 at 9:47 PM, Ceka Cianci said:

I was like, Holy crap! You're huge!

I think I was only two years old in SL at the time.. I never seen anything like that before then..

I think wild and creative avatars like that, really grab my attention more than anything..

I had the opposite experience. This one really itty bitty avatar showed up at a strip club where my friend was working. I mean, he was smaller than a Tiny, smaller than a Petite (I think this was before Petites). He was like an inch tall. We had fun "protecting him from getting squished". Later I realized that he was very, very clever...he'd managed to get solicitous attention from about half a dozen beautiful women. I concluded that, just like they say, size does matter.

• Haha 5

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I had the opposite experience. This one really itty bitty avatar showed up at a strip club where my friend was working. I mean, he was smaller than a Tiny, smaller than a Petite (I think this was before Petites). He was like an inch tall. We had fun "protecting him from getting squished". Later I realized that he was very, very clever...he'd managed to get solicitous attention from about half a dozen beautiful women. I concluded that, just like they say, size does matter.

Was he grey? It may be the same tiny guy that came to my work.. hehehe

On 3/17/2022 at 10:18 AM, Sam1 Bellisserian said:

Well, if you keep in mind that 50% of the female avatars are male it might make it easier.

Really? This old chestnut?  It wasn't true back in 06 and it is even less true now.

On 3/17/2022 at 12:01 PM, Orwar said:

I doubt it's anywhere near 50%. But yeah, let's perpetuate the old 'womenz on the Internets are a lie'-paranoia. 

Agreed.  While there are some male-identified people with female avatars, the vast majority of female avatars are operated by women, including those who are female identified.

On 3/18/2022 at 12:28 PM, Sid Nagy said:

When in SL I don't socialize very active, but I will never start a conversation with someone who spends obviously all their time to optimize their avatars.

I find your thoughts on this interesting, though I am saddened that you would never start a conversation with an avatar like mine.

10 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Ha ha ha, I have thought of this song quite often in SL as an ode to avatar narcissism.

Oh Lindens, it is hard to be humble, when my avatar is perfect in every way

I can't wait to log in to SL, because my avatar gets better lookin each day.

To know me is to love me, I must be a heck of an avatar.

Oh Lindens it is hard to be humble, but I'm doing the best that I can.

Edited by CronoCloud Creeggan
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yes. He was very clever. The perfect situation for up skirting. 🤯

• Like 1

To me it's more about what's in your profil. I don't have any issues talking to "perfect" looking avatars but if you don't come off friendly in your profil I won't IM you first tbh. Or if you have "sl is sl rl is rl" in your bio, like sis i'm not the FBI, i'm just trynna make conversation lol.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, CronoCloud Creeggan said:

I find your thoughts on this interesting, though I am saddened that you would never start a conversation with an avatar like mine.

He,he.... I would definitely start a conversation with you though, when we would ever stumble over each other in SL.
But that is, because we know each other a long time from the forums already and I know from your posts that you are totally more than only a barbie doll dresser.
I wouldn't accompany you on your shopping excursions though.  :D

Edited by Sid Nagy

5 hours ago, MalibuBratz said:

To me it's more about what's in your profil. I don't have any issues talking to "perfect" looking avatars but if you don't come off friendly in your profil I won't IM you first tbh. Or if you have "sl is sl rl is rl" in your bio, like sis i'm not the FBI, i'm just trynna make conversation lol.

Yeah exactly, how are you supposed to know which time zone the other person is in or even just joke around if you're not allowed talk about anything in rl.

• Like 3

Completely true.
Everybody is a RL person who happens to have an inworld presence with their avatar.
You just can't act as if RL doesn't exists and there is no human being behind the avatar.
One doesn't have to give away all kinds of details like, phone numbers, email adresses, bank account, real life name, complete RL addresses, etc.
But it is, at least to me, totally impossible to have a conversation that lasts longer than 10 minutes without talking about RL as well.
One of the stupidest things that happened to me in SL was when I was chatting with someone in English and then after a few sessions found out that the other person was Dutch too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 773 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.