Are Gachas Back?

Rob Huntsman

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I saw this in a store, and he was using this.

https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/NekoToys-Lucky-Vendor-Black/22564157

Edit: So basically it will show 12 and say You want to make sure you want this item? then it'll randomize again 1-20 of the items in vender. Therefore a gacha, but ttelling you up front before you buy.

Basically will tell you the items you buy up front before you spend the L. Is this against the gacha rule or no?

Edited by Rob Huntsman
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Rob Huntsman said:

This is true, but lets say you want the rare how many times will you have to play too acquire it.

That depends upon how badly you want it.

I agree that these are stupid, but they do take a lot of the risk element out of the equation. Essentially they mean a variable price for objects, but it's a price you can usually calculate with at least some degree of certainty. 

Dumb but not gambling.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Rob Huntsman said:

This is true, but lets say you want the rare how many times will you have to play too acquire it.

At least some of the replacement machines show you what is coming next - the only thing randomized is the new entry at the end of the line.  So you not only know exactly what you are buying, but you know what the next few items are also.  This actually is a nicer version of any of the replacement machines.  You can pop in and out of said location to check the machine and either pay for the item you want when it is up or decide if you are willing to buy a few other items if you know that the one you want is third in line -- buying an item locks the machine to your for a short bit of time.

The really sucky ones, IMO, are the ones that show you the current item, but not what is next, and every time a purchase it made, it randomizes all items again to show you a new one.  In those cases, you have no clue when any given item will come up, other than whatever is currently shown.  Other than knowing exactly what the current item is, it is more similar to the old traditional Gachas in that you have no clue what will come next.

• Like 4

Ngl, they should have let it die and not been so desperate to find an alternative. I just think that Gachas they had a great run, but like every good thing. It's time to let it go and move on. Not hold onto it and create a new system. It's kinda like losing a friend, you just gotta move on.

• Like 1

I do find these meipon machines to be less "fun" but I've also noticed I've not spent as much past my usual "fun" budget on SL as I used to when gacha events were around. So that's nice lol!

Meipon is almost like...a group game? The more people interested in the items and buying, the more frequently the machine rolls over to a new item, the quicker you get the item you want! [If you're fast enough, I guess!

There was another thread on this when gachas were banned and in that thread Linden Lab had approved this method. As said, if you can see what you are buying then it isn't gambling. And to answer the question of how many buys to get the rare -=-- ONE.   The real question is how many trips to the store or event do you need to make. 

The ones at The Arcade are actually the best for the buyer as each person sees different items for sale (this changes each day for each person). So by logging in an alt or two and/or coming back a few days, you can usually get the rare or what you are after in one payment. At least that has worked for me.   I don't think these are working out so well for the sellers though. There were lots of  these types of machines at the Christmas Shop and Hop and I only remember seeing them at one place this round. There may have been more but definitely not as many as Christmas.  

7 hours ago, Rob Huntsman said:

Basically will tell you the items you buy up front before you spend the L. Is this against the gacha rule or no?

No it's not. This is the re-designed machine made to bypass the Gacha ruling.  It's still random but as long as it tells you the next-up item, it's legal.

The fact that you know in advance what you will be purchasing means that it is permitted.

Though the chances are a great many people would just rather merchants put everything on sale on regular vendors and allowed people to buy what they wanted instead of feeding L$ into a machine buying what they do not want in the vain hope what they do want will be available for purchase - in that was it is still a bit of a gamble as they gamble on what will become available to be purchased. However, currently that is all well within the rules.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kyle Blackwood said:

The fact that you know in advance what you will be purchasing means that it is permitted.

Though the chances are a great many people would just rather merchants put everything on sale on regular vendors and allowed people to buy what they wanted instead of feeding L$ into a machine buying what they do not want in the vain hope what they do want will be available for purchase - in that was it is still a bit of a gamble as they gamble on what will become available to be purchased. However, currently that is all well within the rules.

Yeah this is why I'm on the fence, granted you know what you're buying there is still a gacha involvement being involved for the third item. You're trying to purchase.

Edit: Assuming if someone wants a RARE in the machine, I'm sure it'll work just like gachas the third item will just keep randomizing until you finally get the item you're searching for. Then you just pay three more times then done.

Edit: And If its permitted that's all I really wanted to know.

Edited by Rob Huntsman
  • Like 1

The gacha-style vendors are just another way to get people who don't normally buy from a standard vendor. Some people just don't like buying full price and wait for a sale, or join an exclusive membership, or only buy when they receive a coupon. Maybe stores can add a way for people to haggle for prices. Some people love to do that and it might encourage them to buy more things if they feel like they negotiated a bargain.

3 hours ago, Rob Huntsman said:

Edit: Assuming if someone wants a RARE in the machine, I'm sure it'll work just like gachas the third item will just keep randomizing until you finally get the item you're searching for. Then you just pay three more times then done.

Actually, for the Meipon vendors, they always show the current item and the next 3-4.  The 'shown' items are fixed and will not change.  If you buy the current item, everything simply moves up in the queue and a new random item is added to the end of the shown items queue. 

I've been putting money into a few of the newer gacha/not-gacha machines.  The ones that I bought from did not offer the items for sale anywhere else (so no real way of knowing what the 'full price' might be), but they were actually priced at what I considered to be a fair price for the item.  I only purchased when the item I actually wanted was on display - and a couple of times when the item I wanted was next up and I wasn't opposed to the item on display.

I spend more money now on the newer Meipon like vendors than I ever did on true gacha --- totally because I actually know exactly what I am buying.  I almost never put any money in to the original gachas because I am basically not a gambler and do not like buying the 'unknown'.  The only time I did was when I knew I'd be happy with almost any item from the vendor.  I also don't ever buy things from any vendors that requires other items to be complete.  I only buy stand-alone items.

I wouldn't mind the annoying "carousel" vendors if they had done away with gacha permissions...

I wanted the coffee set from BackBone so bad, and they offered it at a major discount right before gacha was banned, but with it being nomod/nocopy I *might* have paid 100 L$ for the whole set.

Happens with some normal items too, but it's mostly gachas that do this, and they are useless in rezzers (when they clean a scene they delete the old copies, not take them back to inventory) and you risk losing them when SL randomly eats things you have rezzed.

But I still end up buying them from resellers, like the VMD vendors for DFS Lunchboxes, not from the original seller. I have things to do, standing in front of a carousel all day or camping a lucky chair is not worth my time... If there's a chair with like three minutes left and something I want I may stay until it turns over, but I won't just hand out staring at them, and that goes even more for random trash they expect me to pay for.

4 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

That's cute. L$ 100 for a whole backbone set? I guess it's nice to want things. The reason they're still no copy is to enable the social mechanism for gacha/meipon. Trading and selling is as much a part as collecting.

See, that's the point, they're nearly useless for people making builds with gacha permissions...

I have a 5k L$ couch from them as well as several dozen other "adult+" items that were all at least 3k L$, and thought they were great deals, but a collection of decor items I can't copy or resize and won't work in a scene rezzer?

Yeah, $100 L$ is being generous for those permissions.

This is why I'm glad gacha is dead, kinda, and most have moved to fatpacks (overpriced so as not to disrupt the reseller market, but copy/mod) with only a few using those gacha-lite carousel things...

And those *mostly* for things that make sense to be nocopy, like DFS and their lunchbox gachas.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Blaise Glendevon said:

It's not my opinion. Leaning on "opinion" over policy is trolling. Filing false ARs is griefing.

It's not false reporting, nor griefing.

Ll have stated many times, if you're in doubt about something, report it.  They won't sanction people for reporting.

Try harder 🙂

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.