When I get excited or crazy, I hit myself and make noises.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

This isn't a joke topic, even if the premise sounds ridiculous; it's what I really do.

I don't hit myself when I'm doing anything Second Life related (either in this forum or inworld) but I do when I browse a gaming forum that I frequent. When a certain topic is mentioned that triggers me to be crazy and excited. I start hitting myself and make noises for some reason.

I have mentioned this to people online and they said that I should seek help because it is a form of self-harm. Do you agree with them and think this is worthy of me consulting my therapist about this?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Honest question - are you on the autism spectrum, or something similar like ADHD? This sounds like a harmful stim to me. Stimming when excited by moving around and making noises is normal and great, but hitting yourself is a problem!

I'd talk to your therapist, but in the meantime, can you redirect? One of my stress-related stims is very similar, and I've discovered that a stuffed animal I own gives a satisfying bounce-back that relieves the impulse. Try a pillow, your bed, or anything else soft.

The noises are fine. :)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, sailorcipher said:

Honest question - are you on the autism spectrum, or something similar like ADHD? This sounds like a harmful stim to me. Stimming when excited by moving around and making noises is normal and great, but hitting yourself is a problem!

I'd talk to your therapist, but in the meantime, can you redirect? One of my stress-related stims is very similar, and I've discovered that a stuffed animal I own gives a satisfying bounce-back that relieves the impulse. Try a pillow, your bed, or anything else soft.

The noises are fine. :)

My therapist has said I'm not on the autism spectrum, however I'm not "neurotypical" as they say. I'm known to have social anxiety and phobias of various things. I'd also like to think of myself as "highly-sensitive" but I don't know how much that label applies....

As for ADHD, I could have a low attention span but I don't know for sure....

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Yeah, but I guess I just wanted to share the condition I was going through. One thing I should mention is that seeing the therapist is expensive (but don't worry, I will not beg for money here.)

Sharing is fine, Im just saying it for your own wellbeing, dont take any medical advice or diagnosis from forum randos too seriously, if you feel you need health advice, always consult with a professional.

The same goes for legal advice or financial advice.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

This is just my opinion, and I am not qualified to give advice…but I think getting emotionally upset that much by something said on a gaming forum is a problem, just because it’s stressing you out.  Maybe you could try contacting Gamers Anonymous, even though you’re not trying to quit gaming, somebody there might know someone who can help for free if you don’t want to pay for a therapist? Anyway, sending you lucky vibes ☘️

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

This is just my opinion, and I am not qualified to give advice…but I think getting emotionally upset that much by something said on a gaming forum is a problem, just because it’s stressing you out.  Maybe you could try contacting Gamers Anonymous, even though you’re not trying to quit gaming, somebody there might know someone who can help for free if you don’t want to pay for a therapist? Anyway, sending you lucky vibes ☘️

Maybe I'll try doing that, thanks.

• Like 2

Honestly, I find when I spend too much time on the internet, it can change a lot of my perspective on life in general.. Then get away from it for a day or so and I'm back to my happy old self..

Maybe try picking up some hobbies that pull you away from the internet..   The internet can throw a zillion things at you and it's filled with a lot of clutter that can clog things up.. A good hobby can be a really good cleanse of all that crap..

The internet can make a person feel like they have a kabillion problems.. Where a good hobby cleanse can widdle them down a lot to see what is really important.

I'm no doctor, I'm just saying what works for me and might be worth a try..

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, I find when I spend too much time on the internet, it can change a lot of my perspective on life in general.. Then get away from it for a day or so and I'm back to my happy old self..

Maybe try picking up some hobbies that pull you away from the internet..   The internet can throw a zillion things at you and it's filled with a lot of clutter that can clog things up.. A good hobby can be a really good cleanse of all that crap..

The internet can make a person feel like they have a kabillion problems.. Where a good hobby cleanse can widdle them down a lot to see what is really important.

I'm no doctor, I'm just saying what works for me and might be worth a try..

Those are great ideas! Thank you. I appreciate it.

Thanks for sharing this information and I wouldn't be too concerned about it.
What I would do is to avoid the trigger like the plague.
Music soothes the savage beast in my experience so I play or listen to old recordings I have made.
I'll even lay down to rest a little and hug an instrument if I need to. 🥰

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

This isn't a joke topic, even if the premise sounds ridiculous; it's what I really do.

I don't hit myself when I'm doing anything Second Life related (either in this forum or inworld) but I do when I browse a gaming forum that I frequent. When a certain topic is mentioned that triggers me to be crazy and excited. I start hitting myself and make noises for some reason.

I have mentioned this to people online and they said that I should seek help because it is a form of self-harm. Do you agree with them and think this is worthy of me consulting my therapist about this?

Please talk to someone.

I Need Friends! | 7 Cups

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:
When I get excited or crazy, I hit myself and make noises.

How do you hit youtself and what kind of noises? You must provide more info.

(*also consider to talk to a psychiatrist, they will be able to prescribe you proper medicines, your therapist won't help much)

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

My therapist has said I'm not on the autism spectrum, however I'm not "neurotypical" as they say. I'm known to have social anxiety and phobias of various things. I'd also like to think of myself as "highly-sensitive" but I don't know how much that label applies....

That “label” is not a one size fits all. Autism is a spectrum, you do not need to check all the 100 boxes to be in that spectrum. That’s why nowadays the preferred term is non-neurotypical for those people who seem to exhibit certain traits or behaviours but don’t really fit a classic diagnosis.

in any case, I agree with the other people here… it does sound like a stim and if you are not getting the help you need from your therapist seek another one. There are various online services you could try, I am Not based in the US so I cannot direct you to anything specific.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

I am not a doctor, but if I was you, I would talk to some therapist and I would describe it exactly the way you described it here in your post.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gopi Passiflora said:

Being "highly sensitive" is certainly on the spectrum. In any case, as you're not "neuro-typical", you might find that some of the coping techniques for neuro-atypical people will be helpful. Try ensuring that you have a steady routine day to day - familiarity helps reduce stress.

I have a couple of neuro-atypical traits myself though not really enough to suspect I'm very far into the spectrum, however my brother (who passed away in 2009) had it quite badly. He was however, a very gifted musician, and whenever something stressed him and he started negative stimming behaviours, I'd shove a guitar into his hands, and that calmed him down very quickly. Music might not be your thing, but maybe you can find some other activity that occupies your hands and your mind during those moments, something you find soothng. Even something as simple as a sheet of bubble wrap, or a fidget-spinner (that's what they're made for, after all).  Looking back, I'm pretty sure my dad (also now deceased) was on the spectrum too. He used to go off into his workshop and bash the hell out of something with a hammer. 

Do talk to your therapist though. While substituting negative stimming for something less harmful is good, the best thing is to find out what's causing the stress in the first place, and figure out ways to avoid that.

Edited by Maitimo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I agree with what others have said about seeking help to get some professional feedback because the most you will get here are individual experiences and solutions of what works for different people on the spectrum.

For the most part I avoid speaking about this, but I tend to rock back and forth without even realizing it when something upsets me. Or I will become intensely fixated on what has upset me. Unhealthily so. Over the years I've learned two things that work to help me break away from getting stuck in either of these instances. The first and foremost are my dolls. My husband will put one of my dolls in my arms so I can cuddle them. The second is fuzzy blankets. Both help ground me to the moment and break the spell of being trapped inside of my head.

I also try to do everything in moderation and when I start to get overly intense or sensitive about anything, I force myself to take a break. These forums are enjoyable for me, but only if I set boundaries for myself. I only take part in areas I know won't upset me. There are areas that can be touchy for me, so I avoid them. I distance myself emotionally from what I read. When I feel myself getting overly emotional, that means it is time to take a break from the forums. I've taken up to almost 9 months of a break before.

You just need to find what works for you, but a therapist can really help in finding what works for you. I'm so sorry you are struggling.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 6:59 PM, Nick0678 said:

How do you hit yourself and what kind of noises? You must provide more info.

Ummm, you do realize that i have a very warped imagination? 🤭

Apologies to gopi about that, i was not referring to you in the slightest.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, shireena1 said:

Ummm, you do realize that i have a very warped imagination? 🤭

Apologies to gopi about that, i was not referring to you in the slightest.

Yes.. although by hitting and doing sounds it could be something as innocent as spanking themselves and moaning. I ve met a few who enjoy doing that when they are excited while chatting online but also in SL and it wasn't anything dangerous nor sexual btw. Just their way of showing excitement, i guess.

• Haha 1

Maybe you should keep a notepad nearby to write down the times you have these reactions, the triggers that caused them and the other details. It would let you review and compare these things in total and maybe give you some insight on how to handle it in the future. At least, if you ever go to therapy you'll have a record of events that your therapist can look at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/7/2022 at 1:59 AM, Nick0678 said:

How do you hit youtself and what kind of noises? You must provide more info.

(*also consider to talk to a psychiatrist, they will be able to prescribe you proper medicines, your therapist won't help much)

I slap myself in various points of my body (sometimes my thighs, sometimes by chest area near my heart.) The intensity and repetition increases the more excited I am.

The sounds I make are like screaming but with my mouth closed - I don't know how to describe it.

Again, thanks to everyone who posted their input and advice.

• Like 2

I'd expect excited to be a happy emotion ?

Jump for joy , fist in the air YAY!

I have no medical training to offer advice or an opinion , and i don't have the vocabulary to describe the perfectly normal adrenaline rush prompts us to physically react spontaneously .

Some clap hands , some slap their thigh , some jump , some shout , me i tend to clench my fist and tense my right arm so nobody would even notice .

Unless your actually hurting yourself by doing it ? i'd say you just enjoy an uninhibited physical expression of natural emotion .

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

On 2/6/2022 at 6:03 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Do you agree with them and think this is worthy of me consulting my therapist about this?

On 2/6/2022 at 6:13 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

On 2/6/2022 at 6:15 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Yeah, but I guess I just wanted to share the condition I was going through. One thing I should mention is that seeing the therapist is expensive (but don't worry, I will not beg for money here.)

If you have a therapist already why haven't you discussed you having ADHD with them and what their opinion is on what you've posted here?  If they have seen you enough to determine you are not autistic then they will surely know if you have ADHD.  Is this a serious post or are you just trolling because that's what it seems like to me. 

As for the cost of a therapist if you have no money there are free counseling services you can utilize. Try that. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 781 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.