Not worth it.

Bree Giffen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/27/2022 at 11:54 PM, Anna Nova said:

and while we are at it, please include a copy of the Vendor Picture, so I can file the damn thing to show what's in the box.

One thing I love about the Catznip Viewer is hovering the mouse over a folder would show you a thumbnail of the image inside the folder without opening it. ❤️ That an the ability  to send Items to specific folders when shopping. 😍

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Matilda Melune said:

One thing I love about the Catznip Viewer is hovering the mouse over a folder would show you a thumbnail of the image inside the folder without opening it.  That an the ability  to send Items to specific folders when shopping. 

If I could run it on Linux, I'd be running it.  I will not use the products of that antitrust company from Redmond under any circumstances.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I just wish there was some consistency.

I'll get a few things from the *same store* and some will HUD unpack, some will rez a box to unpack, some will auto-unpack when rezzed and others you need to click while still more you need to open and copy.

It can be a bit of a confusing mess if you're doing a big shopping trip to have every unpacker behave differently, even when they're from the same place.

I like the one from Contraption... If you add it this little mechanical spider climbs up on your back and offers to deliver the folder to you, you can also rez it on the ground for the same dialog, and I've bought a *lot* of stuff there and even the freebies in the back are all packed the same way.

• Like 2

one of the creators that I frequent has her things packed like this. It may be the same creator.  I don't mind one bit, as her clothes are so worth it.  I never unpack anything at an event, preferring to go home and try everything on with items I have in my closet.  I keep a folder of "things to buy" that I will put those Demo's in and when I go back and purchase at a later date during the event I will delete the demo.  I too wish for a photo of the outfit to be included.  I see more and more creators doing this, and get rid of the folders and use a hud or package that attaches please.  Thank you.

• Like 1

On 1/31/2022 at 3:10 PM, Anna Nova said:

If I could run it on Linux, I'd be running it.  I will not use the products of that antitrust company from Redmond under any circumstances.

If you ever change your mind (I understand the Linux master race politics, Stallman, arch vs Ubuntu bla bla bla)...

I'm actually running it on Linux, but you have to use WiNE + load a few of the Visual C++ library packs (any one listed from 2015-2019 is best)<--- OK, not really needed but lots of Windows apps run better with those library files. The recent versions of Wine work best. I also run Black Dragon this way.  That said I also run them both in Win11 <--- need this for some work specific apps.

Oh ya... +1 for demos with multiple boxes. What is this, amazon sending us packages in SL too? TF LOL! 

On 1/29/2022 at 10:50 AM, Stephanie Misfit said:

Doux, I am looking at you. I have so much hair from that store, not a single vendor picture. Either have to try it all on or look at his Flickr every time.

I once spent HOURS and hundreds of lindens searching his Flickr and downloading/uploading pics into SL for his styles.  Then I IM'd him to tell him off - nicely of course - and he told me to just grab the demos cos the vendor pics are ALWAYS in the demo packs.  So now when buying Doux hair I always grab the demo just for the picture!

Edited by Jordan Whitt
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

14 hours ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I once spent HOURS and hundreds of lindens searching his Flickr and downloading/uploading pics into SL for his styles.  Then I IM'd him to tell him off - nicely of course - and he told me to just grab the demos cos the vendor pics are ALWAYS in the demo packs.  So now when buying Doux hair I always grab the demo just for the picture!

This is nice to know

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bree Giffen said:

Please STOP making me unpack a top and skirt demo separately that are obviously a set. I just had to unpack a top, skirt and vest demo each in their own unpacker. This is just ridiculous.

Oh, and once you have everything in the set in their annoying separate folders, they all have different HUDs, too. I've been buying a lot of lingerie lately, and it is so irritating to have bra, garter and panties in separate folders, then to be coloured by individual HUDs which of course attach to the same place on the screen.

• Like 4

On 1/26/2022 at 11:18 PM, Bree Giffen said:

I went to Uber today. There was a clothing set that came as two demos. Each demo came in a folder and had to be unpacked. I  unpacked both demos into new folders. In each folder, there were only more demos to be unpacked. Every single item in the demo had to be unpacked separately. I stopped and threw it all in the trash.

This drives me nuts too. I also dislike one-time demos or timed demos. I went home to try on a demo and liked the outfit and went back to the event but nothing would rez. I logged off and logged back on and ended up completely naked at the event. Good times.

Wow, this is a very interesting and informative thread!
As a consumer, I don't really care  about how things are packed, nor delivered for that matter. HOWEVER, the ONE thing that as a creator & a consumer I really wish EVERYONE would do, is put a photo of what the item is in the box. This saves so much time when you are searching for something, and you can't quite remember what is it.. just open the image! 

I always include a photo of what I sell in the package. In my case, it is eyes. So, the vendor image goes into the pack so when you open it, you have that image in the folder. Voila! Easy to see what they are.  

I have NEVER had a customer tell me they preferred one way vs another of how the items are packed, so reading this is actually pretty eye opening!  I do them "add and click" so that you just add, then click it, and the items are delivered to you in a folder under the name of the item. It is pretty straight forward: the BOM eyes, the HUDs for the heads I create for, and the vendor image, plus a notecard with info on the product and how people can reach me. For all my stuff I sell I pretty much do that. I don't do the Rez type unpacking at all, since it can be a pain when you don't have a place to Rez them (especially demos). 

Part of the reason I don't really get miffed about how things are packed, delivered etc, is that I KNOW how much effort and time creators put into making these things... And there is a learning curve too. Some are just starting out and learning what works best and some are doing what they know and what works for them. Like someone said, you can't please everyone! 

• Like 5

On 2/9/2022 at 1:23 PM, Stephanie Lovely said:

Oh, and once you have everything in the set in their annoying separate folders, they all have different HUDs, too. I've been buying a lot of lingerie lately, and it is so irritating to have bra, garter and panties in separate folders, then to be coloured by individual HUDs which of course attach to the same place on the screen.

See I prefer outfits in separate folders because I often buy the pieces separately and so I don't want to have to deal with the stuff I don't want. I also don't keep outfits together in my inventory but separate out the top/bottom/etc into the subfolder I have so I want a separate hud, although I can easily make copies of them.

But that just goes to show that people want different (and often contradictory) things. I have noticed a new trend with umpacking HUDS is to have buttons for various bodies so you can pick which ones you want to unpack rather than having them all unpack. Saves me time deleting the things I won't wear.

• Like 3

On 2/3/2022 at 1:48 AM, Jordan Whitt said:

Aha, I am going to pick up all the demos for hairs I have bought. Spending money and time on upload/download is so annoying.

But what about creators that do not include a vendor picture, but they have time to include a texture of their store logo? What in the bleeping bleep is the point?

• Like 3

Whew. When SL feels like work....

I have that feeling now, after a new round of trying to organize and tidy up. The good thing was that I had forgot to unpack my Black Friday hairs from Doux, so I did it now. I wonder what he thought of me when I grabbed so many demos. 😋

You saved me a lot of money there, @Jordan Whitt

I needed to straighten up my Doux folder and make it tidy, getting all the Deluxe huds into the folders with Basic, and putting all the boxes in a separate folder. I have doubles in my inventory. I unpack the same thing twice or more because I find the box first, and unpack it, because I didn't see it was unpacked already..

And I deleted lots of old makeup and started to sort my LeL EvoX makeup so I can find it again. I took screenshots of HD appliers that didn't have a vendor image/texture, cropped them and uploaded to SL. One of the stores that sell 25 L makeup every Tuesday has started to include vendor images, thank the lord.

Edited by Marianne Little
  • Like 2

On 1/28/2022 at 2:54 AM, Anna Nova said:

and while we are at it, please include a copy of the Vendor Picture, so I can file the damn thing to show what's in the box.

This one, YES!

No nested boxes, YES!

As far as backups go, I choose to live dangerously. Except for a very few items, I usually delete the boxed version after I've unpacked it. I figure if it goes, it goes, and if I can't get a redelivery, then that's on me. At least it keeps my inventory marginally smaller. Over 15 years, I haven't ever lost anything. Or at least, not that I've noticed.

11 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

You saved me a lot of money there, @Jordan Whitt

I wish I had known about it BEFORE I hunted down and uploaded over 50 hair pics.  Now if only Exile would follow suit.  I have lost track of how many times I have asked for the pic to go into the hair packs! 

Which reminds me, I need to upload the pics of the two latest hairs I have bought.

32 minutes ago, Jordan Whitt said:

I wish I had known about it BEFORE I hunted down and uploaded over 50 hair pics.  Now if only Exile would follow suit.  I have lost track of how many times I have asked for the pic to go into the hair packs! 

Which reminds me, I need to upload the pics of the two latest hairs I have bought.

I don't bother uploading pics anymore - tis such a royal PITA.  I keep a Windows Explorer window open on my second monitor, located at the folder that contains all of the sub-folders of pictures of inventory items that didn't come with pictures.  Quick enough to check there.

• Like 1

On 1/29/2022 at 12:09 AM, Orwar said:

Something I did, when I was on a shopping spree during the Black Friday sales, was to just make a reference card of the new hair styles I'd gotten. Occasionally when I'm trying to put together a look I'll just have a look at it and see if there's anything that would suit it.

You need to check out CTS Wardrobe (no connection, just a happy customer, since 5 years).

24 minutes ago, Anna Nova said:

You need to check out CTS Wardrobe (no connection, just a happy customer, since 5 years).

I actually bought it the other week. Just haven't gotten around to the using it part yet!

• Thanks 1

The unpredictable unpack policy was a nightmare when I was new to this. Now I dont care. All my deliveries are put in a deliveries folder sub divided into hairs, clothes, shoes, poses, misc, and so on. 

I don't need pictures because I use saved outfits, each is summarised in the outfit name, and listed in a word file, which is colour coded. 

I demo all hairs  and clothing from unknown creators, but when I buy from well established creators such as Blueberry, I never demo.

At events I am seriously picky. I rarely buy more than a couple of items and I would only demo if I didn't recognise the creator.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 839 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.