What has happened to Aeros?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

12 hours ago, Prokofy Neva said:

It's really unseemly the way everyone jumps on a creator who can't defend themselves with criticisms they haven't made until now. 

Yes. A few years ago I had a some technical interaction with Ray Silent and found him to be quite personable and well informed. I hope he's okay.

It's also the case, though, that folks have long criticized Aeros' rendering complexity—including the creator himself. (In fact, that's how he and I were in contact, but couldn't help because the Lab as usual stopped a development project midway.)

I'm sure he long ago considered Bento-based approaches which, as some have noted, have some very weird artifacts, but I have no idea whether that was why he extended the current product set rather than branching out, back when Bento was still a new thing.* It would certainly involve crippling Aeros' quite intricate API.

Although rendering complexity was always a concern, I personally never worried too much about it because it's not as if I wear such products that much of the time. I guess there are still folks who wear them "hidden" and that would be a problem, but none of these things are really that sim-friendly to leave them attached all the time.

Earlier, somebody mentioned Sensations, and it happens that I chose that product for an alt recently, impressed by how much its aesthetics had advanced since it and Xcite were the primary competitors. Also, it's modifiable, which for me is a huge advantage over Aeros. (I can't give a product review, though, because I doubt I ever used any of the scripts.)

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Lewis Luminos said:

To be honest I'm not entirely surprised by this news. Aeros haven't updated their products in a while, they are super-high in complexity, they're heavy on scripts and while they look good, they haven't kept up with others that are better optimised, lower in script weight and make use of bento, materials and other things. It's been a long time since I actually recommended anyone to buy one. But I don't actually like the look of any of the alternatives right now so I'll be keeping mine for now.  I'm sure another creator will step in to fill the void sooner or later.  

Am I the only person in the world who likes the steampunk hud?

Not just you Lewis. I like how it looks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nathan Zetkin said:

I use the Physics ***** now as it is so much better and furniture supports it well now.

because you think it is better for you, and like to give control out of your hand ... i prefer to keep control myself and not the furniture .. i hated that already in the x3 ( or x2?) from that other not updating giant meat delivery firm.

Edited by Alwin Alcott

11 hours ago, Ina Fairport said:

This is typical for SL. The creator leaves SL without a word and nobody knows why

Same happened with a creator of sailboats. The shop is gone, the group is stlll there. their profile has still the pick of the shop and they are never online anymore.
Some friends do the same, suddenly they are gone without a word 🤔

Sometimes people pass away and if no-one in SL has a RL way of contacting them or their RL friends/families, no-one would ever know. Or it might be something less morbid, maybe a change in location where they can't get a good enough online connection for SL any more. 

It is unusual though, for someone to wipe their profile clean before disappearing. That's the part that makes this particular situation so mysterious.

But it does make me rather glad that I have people in SL who know me in RL, and who would be able to contact the people important to me if the worst should happen.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 1/25/2022 at 11:19 PM, Lewis Luminos said:

It is unusual though, for someone to wipe their profile clean before disappearing. That's the part that makes this particular situation so mysterious.

or... as we're more speculating than having facts  :) 

he might fade out the main account to start using a store account after a remake/rebuild/construction time ...

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

or... as we're more speculating than having facts  :) 

he might fade out the main account to start using a store account after a remake/rebuild/construction time ...

Right, but not announcing a remake etc is not good business practice. He just wiped the sim, store and profile clean, not sending out a notice to his customers. :(

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 4:03 AM, Qie Niangao said:

Yes. A few years ago I had a some technical interaction with Ray Silent and found him to be quite personable and well informed. I hope he's okay.

Likewise, I was neighbors with the two of them way back when the store was just a corner of a Region.  Ray Silent was always silent, perhaps due to time zone differences.  Pi Rain was friendly and entertaining.  Let's hope they return.  

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, blissfulbreeze said:

Right, but not announcing a remake etc is not good business practice. He just wiped the sim, store and profile clean, not sending out a notice to his customers. :(

That depends. You can't easily get away with that in RL, but online and behind an avatar, if you think your brand is suffering enough negative press or that sales have been abysmal or non-existent for some time, then killing it off and creating a completely new and unassociated brand and products, complete with new styling/marketing/owner, might be in order.

It happens more often than you think.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, blissfulbreeze said:

don't shout rubbish, or go check.
The region isn't wiped, the store is only reduced to the Skin department and the other part is "under construction" , there is more than MP you know? There are quite som bigger designers that said goodbye to MP.

Is something going on? YES, but we can only speculate.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Alwin Alcott said:

don't shout rubbish, or go check.
The region isn't wiped, the store is only reduced to the Skin department and the other part is "under construction" , there is more than MP you know? There are quite som bigger designers that said goodbye to MP.

Is something going on? YES, but we can only speculate.

I am not shouting nor it is rubbish. I did go check. The skins are not his, they are from Pi. So yes, he did wipe his stuff clean from the sim. I was just saying that it was not good business practice to not notify his customers or provide customer service for existing products.

5 hours ago, blissfulbreeze said:

I disagree considering how many people tried to make contact to get the Aeros Apollo for free because they had just (up to a couple of years back) got another Aeros non-bento model.
Definitely not the worst business decision to pull everything down and start fresh, maybe even with a new brand. Remember, never buy anything banking on an update, always take it "as is" because updates might not ever come.

• Like 1

Aeros has been saying they were going to update their outdated stuff for quite a while now, maybe they actually are?

Too little, too late, though. Everyone who asks about getting decent bits when I laugh at their freenis is referred to The P... Though they could learn a thing or ten about a nice HUD layout from Aeros.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NanashiNyx said:

Too little, too late, though. Everyone who asks about getting decent bits when I laugh at their freenis is referred to The P... 

might be for new ones, but there are still many, really many.... who walk around and/or use the aeros. The "P"  is for sure not better in looks, use or any other thing. It's running on the "new" image, their system is perhaps technically improved but with the  the old xcite behaviour.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 765 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.