What scares you?

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

2 hours ago, Rick Daylight said:

Likewise, and not much scares me (not sure anything does for myself any more) but this actually looks quite serious. A friend lives, well, somewhere near some bases and has seen a lot of additional Airforce activity here over the last two days.

I live very close (within 2 miles) from an strategically important military airfield and one of the NATO headquarters in Europe.
So I have nothing to worry about.
If it escalates it will be over in a jiffy for me.
Hey, was that a missile flying over the house?
Just one simple flash of the brightest light I ever saw. The end.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1
  • Sad 7

2 hours ago, ChinRey said:

No but we're talking about degrees of self defence measures here. There's a huge difference between having to lock your front door to keep intruders out and having to carry firearms on a regular basis to defend yourself against attackers.

(Actually, where I live people don't even usually lock their front doors, at least not unless they're going away for a while.)

With the large houseless population in my city, not locking the front door has led to them walking into peoples' homes while they were in the backyard doing family stuff. 

Picture having a nice bbq and going inside to find a very unwashed large male sitting on your kitchen floor eating out of your fridge who then screams at you to "get the **** out of his new house!" and swipes at you with your own kitchen knives. 

Hence, we lock the door and some of us have firearms. 

I love most of my neighbors, we have a greek family across the street that we share family bbq's over the summer with. My third floor neighbor is a sweetheart, he hired my daughters to watch his cat while he went on vacation, and then paid them (against much protestation), he leaves for work at 6:30 am and puts his trash barrels and ours out on trash day and my kids bring them out back after school. Do i feel safe in my neighborhood, yes, with the doors locked and the backyard gate locked. 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2022 at 6:54 PM, Garnet Psaltery said:

I was thinking about Heaven a couple of nights ago, and what I'd like to see (believers will accept it when I say I was asked what I wanted).  I said that, whatever else there is, I'd like time to myself for such things as walking on a beach, listening to the birds, and for working on poems.  I believe you will get some things that very much match your character, though I also believe that as we are changed we might be surprised.  So what I'm saying is don't be unhappy at the thought of Heaven.  It's Heaven, after all. :)  Now, to stay on topic, it should be obvious what its opposite is, and that would scare me.

Everybody would love you and others like you and this is a soul comfort to read you.  I take part to those forums in order to find comfort and consolation.  'It's heaven after all' is a phrase people like me wish to meet and read as long as others write it :)

Nevertheless I'm fighting in the edge, where all my surroundings claim that heaven and god do not exist and 'where is your god now' is my everyday conversation with them.  The opposite you mention does not frighten me as I'm at the forefront of the battle against it a long time now.

I believe a small paradox is allowed to people who in a strange way will never enjoy peace on earth although they deserve it and who are a little bit anxious about the beyond.

That is, hope I will not hear the aforementioned phrase even in paradise.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2022 at 10:57 PM, Sid Nagy said:

I live very close (within 2 miles) from an strategically important military airfield and one of the NATO headquarters in Europe.
So I have nothing to worry about.
If it escalates it will be over in a jiffy for me.
Hey, was that a missile flying over the house?
Just one simple flash of the brightest light I ever saw. The end.

I understand and know what you mean Sid. I spent my formative years in a small town nested between the SETAF headquarters and Aviano AFB in northeast Italy… we literally had our roof tiles lifted and scattered twice in one year thanks to massive Hueys setting their flight path right over our house.

Also got to see fabulous manoeuvres with F16s flying right over the airspace between us and the mountains but the tiles… well that wasn’t cool 

@Kristina FerrarisThese babies are in final approach or just airborn (depending on the direction of the wind) when they pass the apartment building were I live in.

akker.jpg?itok=SVvRzlk4

I've never seen them without the landing gear out.
The mushroom on top is radar equipment from the AWACS system that can detect military movements far behind the NATO borders or the battlefield.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Oh wow, I though they were large size Pizza delivery planes.....lolgif62074390805.gif.1a8a2a513fcb4cf5eae6509501be536d.gif

That would be nice, but only the ones with pineapple.
Every pizza deserves to be served with pineapple topping.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

29 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

That would be nice, but only the ones with pineapple.
Every pizza deserves to be served with pineapple topping.

Not for me thanks!!! I'm afraid of Pizza with Pineapple!!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

I like ripened cheeses, but in a stage of decomposition?
🤢

I AM a little surprised people actually eat that!!! With the insects jumping around!!! Maybe we should feed it to stalkers....

• Haha 1

Black ice and fall injuries.

It's snowing where I am and the fresh flakes mixing with melting snow from last weekend's snowstorm is turning the ground into a frozen Slip N Slide.  I used to be able to bounce back from a fall; I was 16, 'twas a long time ago. Problem is I'm not 16 anymore and if I fall, I break.

The last time I took a hard fall was down a flight of stairs while wearing my first pair of progressive trifocals. The fishbowl vision made me step into thin air when I thought I had the ground beneath my foot. I ended up needing 3 x-rays, 2 MRIs, multiple visits to a neurologist and orthopedist, and 7 months of physical therapy.

So yeah, falling and breaking in my geezerhood scares me.

• Like 3
  • Sad 4

• 2 weeks later...

The afterlife. Will the higher power be a monster? Will I be forced to suffer for eternity? will I be alone? Will I cease to exist? will I be shoved back into the physical world again and live a horrible life? Will the supernatural realm and the earthly realm cease to exist at some point? I think about this from time to time, which scares me even more. I watch a movie or play a game or listen to music and read or draw, to calm myself down and forget until it comes back to me months later or whenever.

• Confused 1

40 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

The afterlife. Will the higher power be a monster? Will I be forced to suffer for eternity? will I be alone? Will I cease to exist? will I be shoved back into the physical world again and live a horrible life? Will the supernatural realm and the earthly realm cease to exist at some point? I think about this from time to time, which scares me even more. I watch a movie or play a game or listen to music and read or draw, to calm myself down and forget until it comes back to me months later or whenever.

Well, you could ask the higher power for some answers.  It's better than waiting for these questions to keep bothering you. :) 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

18 minutes ago, Garnet Psaltery said:

Well, you could ask the higher power for some answers.  It's better than waiting for these questions to keep bothering you. :) 

The "higher power" doesn't "talk". It most certainly isn't going to reveal the answers otherwise everyone would know what to expect and we'd all know about it.

10 minutes ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

The afterlife. Will the higher power be a monster? Will I be forced to suffer for eternity? will I be alone? Will I cease to exist? will I be shoved back into the physical world again and live a horrible life? Will the supernatural realm and the earthly realm cease to exist at some point? I think about this from time to time, which scares me even more.

I reckon death will be similar to how it was like before birth. 

2 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

I would assume that if you dont remember living a past life you shouldn't remember the next one. 

Yes, the earthly realm will cease to be eventually. The sun will go supernova. Or the supermega black hole at the center of it all will eat everything. 

These are questions you should really discuss with a spiritual advisor of your choosing. They actually go to school for this sort of thing. 

personally i have far too much to worry about in my daily life to worry about that far into the future. Like paying the bills, keeping my family fed/healthy/happy, and praying for my friends in the Ukraine that they can get out safely. 

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.