What scares you?

Orwar

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 1/10/2022 at 1:42 AM, Marigold Devin said:

You'd no longer be a loner or frightened. That's what heaven is all about, giving you the ultimate in comfort, whatever you need, but you don't know yet what that will be until you go to the next world. 

24 minutes ago, examining said:

If you say so.

I was thinking about Heaven a couple of nights ago, and what I'd like to see (believers will accept it when I say I was asked what I wanted).  I said that, whatever else there is, I'd like time to myself for such things as walking on a beach, listening to the birds, and for working on poems.  I believe you will get some things that very much match your character, though I also believe that as we are changed we might be surprised.  So what I'm saying is don't be unhappy at the thought of Heaven.  It's Heaven, after all. :)  Now, to stay on topic, it should be obvious what its opposite is, and that would scare me.

• Like 2

I'm not scared of hell.  Even if I had a belief in a deity of some kind, nowhere in the Christian Bible is hell mentioned as a place for people to go after  death.  It's just not in there.  The idea of eternal torture is man-made. 

I am scared of dying though.  I don't want it all to be over.

Edited by Cinnamon Mistwood
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I'm not scared of hell.  Even if I had a belief in a deity of some kind, nowhere in the Christian Bible is hell mentioned as a place for people to go after  death.  It's just not in there.  The idea of eternal torture is man-made. 

This isn't the place for a whole religious argument but Hell is explicitly mentioned in Matthew and 2 Thessalonians, and in other terms in many places.  How you interpret fire and destruction and being shut out is for you to decide.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Rat didn't react at all so I presume she might be too young to get the reference?.
I didn't want to cause any confusion or oddness so thx for explaining it so well.

Oh no...I remember your comment now, and didn't have a clue what you meant! xDWas it a TV series?

That looks quite fun to be honest, and with the funky music...I just get freaked out by long corridors, like hotels at night, especially when they're really quiet...

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Rat Luv said:

Oh no...I remember your comment now, and didn't have a clue what you meant! xDWas it a TV series?

That looks quite fun to be honest, and with the funky music...I just get freaked out by long corridors, like hotels at night, especially when they're really quiet...

Get Smart was an hilarious TV show Rat.
Try and catch some on youslesstube if there's anything on there.😆
I knew you weren't sort of, offended, but wasn't happy it's an oldies joke lol.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Hello, Chief?

Maxwell-Smart.png

The cone of silence!! 

"what?"

"What?"

"I cant hear you!"

"I cant hear you!!!"

mrbig055.jpg

Edited by Drake1 Nightfire
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Hmm...must investigate!🙂 

15 hours ago, Maryanne Solo said:

Get Smart was an hilarious TV show

It was indeed. It starred Don Adams as bumbling Secret Agent 86 of CONTROL, with his sidekick Agent 99 played by Barbara Feldon. I wanted to be her when I grew up.  They were pitted against almost equally-bumbling villains, usually members of KAOS, the world-wide organization of evil.

The show featured repeated gags. "Would you believe..." "Missed me by that much." "The old (fill in the blank) trick". "and...loving it." The devices that never worked, like Max's shoe phone and the Cone Of Silence.  The long-suffering agent-in-place, who was found hidden inside unlikely things like bus station lockers or mail boxes.

You can stream all 5 seasons on Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, Google Play, or VUDU.  Google Play is the only service offering it in HD.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2022 at 10:40 PM, ChinRey said:

A regular citizen of a civilized country does not need arms for self protection of course; that's practically the definition of civilisation. How many of our internet friends and other good people in the world are in a situation where they can't take even something as basic as that (for most of us I hope) for granted?

Can you point me to a civilization where citizens did not need to be able to defend their self, family, and property?

On 1/9/2022 at 5:33 PM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

Weapons scare me.  So do violent extremists who often own them.

What about the BLM, AntiFa, and other radical groups which come in overwhelming numbers and start burning towns?

What about MS13 and similar gangs that attack in groups?

What do you when some group, even 2 or 3, threatens you?

What scares me is being defenseless.

23 hours ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

You might try reading The Book. Save face... Even if you only read the New Testament part, you'll be reasonably knowledgeable about about the Christian religions.

Whether you believe it or not, is up to you. But by reading it you'll reduce your level of ignorance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

You might try reading The Book. Save face... Even if you only read the New Testament part, you'll be reasonably knowledgeable about about the Christian religions.

Whether you believe it or not, is up to you. But by reading it you'll reduce your level of ignorance.

I've read it cover to cover twice and did group Bible study for 3 years.  In this case, I'm not ignorant, but you are for making the assumption that you know my history and knowledge. 

2 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Can you point me to a civilization where citizens did not need to be able to defend their self, family, and property?

In the western world outside the USA it is pretty much common that citizens are unarmed and  don't need weapons in every day life to defend their self, family and property.

I'm 63 and I only held a gun in my hands once, that was when I was on a family visit in the USA, when I did some target practice with an American cousin. He loves guns.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

On 1/24/2022 at 9:02 AM, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

2 minutes ago, Cinnamon Mistwood said:

I've read it cover to cover twice and did group Bible study for 3 years.  In this case, I'm not ignorant, but you are for making the assumption that you know my history and knowledge. 

Considering what you wrote in your earlier post it is reasonable to assume you are massively ignorant of what is written in the book. I didn't have to make any assumption. You made the erroneous assertion a knowledgeable person wouldn't make.

How can you read it and miss the 100+ verses talking about hell and where people are? Even the 4 Gospels talk about Jesus visiting the  dead in Hades. And there is Lazarus speaking from Hell.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What scares me?… 

There’s this shiny rectangular thing on the wall. When I look at it there’s this creepy dude that looks almost just like me but he’s kinda weird and scary. He also shows up on the rectangle in the bathroom when I go there to pee. It’s super creepy. 

Edited by davidventer

1 hour ago, Janet Voxel said:

...that we're dangerously close to a war in eastern europe.

Likewise, and not much scares me (not sure anything does for myself any more) but this actually looks quite serious. A friend lives, well, somewhere near some bases and has seen a lot of additional Airforce activity here over the last two days.

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, Sid Nagy said:

In the western world outside the USA it is pretty much common that citizens are unarmed and  don't need weapons in every day life to defend their self, family and property.

I'm 63 and I only held a gun in my hands once, that was when I was on a family visit in the USA, when I did some target practice with an American cousin. He loves guns.

I grew up visiting relatives farms in very remote areas and was trained to handle guns, (only while at the farms), from 11yo onwards. I was given the choice and I accepted.
Being from the city, the lifestyle comparison was amazing. I also learnt to drive cars, tractors and motorbikes. 
In some cases I could only drive the vehicles, (big tractors), in first gear because I didn't have the strength or body weight to work the clutch pedal. 😂
I viewed all of this as an incredible opportunity as I had to pull my weight and earn my keep while staying for the entire school holiday break.
Consequently, I am not frightened of guns. I am frightened of the idiots that somehow gain access to them for no valid reason. 

Edited by Maryanne Solo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Nalates Urriah said:

Considering what you wrote in your earlier post it is reasonable to assume you are massively ignorant of what is written in the book. I didn't have to make any assumption. You made the erroneous assertion a knowledgeable person wouldn't make.

How can you read it and miss the 100+ verses talking about hell and where people are? Even the 4 Gospels talk about Jesus visiting the  dead in Hades. And there is Lazarus speaking from Hell.

Eternal fiery torture in hell is not mentioned as a place for sinners to go anywhere in the bible.  A fiery pit is mentioned as a place where your satan character was thrown, but not people.  It's not there.  

If you think of hell as a place for the unrepentant and nonbelievers with fire, lava, eternal burning, pitchforks, and  screaming masses of humans that aren't you, that's fine, but it doesn't make it a real bible story.

If your version of hell is just being removed from your pretend jealous, sadistic, violent sky daddy, then that's not torture.  

Show me a few verses describing the eternal fiery pit that humans will wallow in for not fearing and worshipping your god.

I won't derail this thread further.  Believe what you want, but don't expect others to bow to your fantasies of wanting others to suffer for not believing it. 

4 hours ago, Nalates Urriah said:

No but we're talking about degrees of self defence measures here. There's a huge difference between having to lock your front door to keep intruders out and having to carry firearms on a regular basis to defend yourself against attackers.

(Actually, where I live people don't even usually lock their front doors, at least not unless they're going away for a while.)

• Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 808 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.