How do other people react to your avatars?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just for curiosity's sake.  I'd also like to know what kinds of people are drawn to your avis the most, what people say, and stuff like that.

I have multiple accounts and they each have a different kind of avi.

Alien: I've noticed that people with a female or nonhuman avi tend to be more friendly to my alien account. I do have some male avis that are my friends though on that account (although one seems to want "alien *****")

"Rapunzel Girl" (Female human account with very long blonde hair) : Compliments and jokes over the hair of course, from both sexes, and random IMs too. Way more male friends than female (although I suspect part of the reason is that real life women can detect one of their own as opposed to a real man. ) This is true for my other female accounts.

Other non-human accounts (Dog, cat, Pikachu, various shapeshifting forms): Mostly gals like these guys, although again, like the alien, they may have some male avis talk to them as well. This is even true for not-so-cute ones like the fishman.

Male human accounts: Very little reaction from people. Understandably so, though. Most of these cases I must initiate the conversation in local chat or voice to get the chatter going. Although if my avi is wearing something unique such as a grill apron and a chef hat, someone will give a cute remark.

• Like 7

Yesterday, at Social Island 1, I arrived to find a newbie female avatar with some missing outfit pieces. I asked her if she needed some help with her clothing. She did not respond, but in a few moments put on a different female starter avatar. I congratulated her on fixing the problem.

Then she changed to a male avatar, came over and stood about an inch in front of me.

"Let's f*ck", he said.

I sighed and teleported away.

"Y/S" he yelled after me in IM.

So, that's one person's reaction to my avatar. I apparently induce huge amounts of testosterone production.

• Like 3
  • Haha 11

I generally stick to one avatar and one look, changing appearance for an occasion - with clothes only. People called me so many different names, that I've made a guide for them - can be seen below. One person even said that I'm a nice girl, but he would like to see my actual face that is hidden under that mask of a dragon. I've taught him what "furry" is. He teleported out right after without a word.

Edited by panterapolnocy
  • Like 7
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Yesterday, at Social Island 1, I arrived to find a newbie female avatar with some missing outfit pieces. I asked her if she needed some help with her clothing. She did not respond, but in a few moments put on a different female starter avatar. I congratulated her on fixing the problem.

Then she changed to a male avatar, came over and stood about an inch in front of me.

"Let's f*ck", he said.

I sighed and teleported away.

"Y/S" he yelled after me in IM.

So, that's one person's reaction to my avatar. I apparently induce huge amounts of testosterone production.

What does Y/S mean? Or is it really rude? 😮

• Like 3

I probably get worse reactions since I came back last year. “She’s 11 years old and still doesn’t have a mesh head!” 😲

I used to dress my avatar alternative or neko, so if I met other nekos we'd be saying “Oh, where did you get those ears/boots  etc?” and swapping neko store LMs for 10 minutes. Most people were OK! But I once went to a club and someone said something like “I’d hate to be one of these people who think it’s cool to have a tail hanging out of their butt!”. It was annoying because I was just about to leave when she typed it, but then I felt I had to hang around a bit longer, in case it looked like I was TPing out because I was upset xD

I also went to a friend’s wedding and the service was on a church sim – just before it started, the vicar IM'd me and said “This is an actual Christian church, not a RP sim, so please treat it with respect.” I said “Sure” and thought maybe he was IMing the same to everyone…but afterwards, he and his wife said sorry, they’d thought I was a griefer because of my name…I said “Oh, it’s because I love rats” but I can’t even remember what I was thinking when I chose it, lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

I don't bother about what others think about my avatar.
If they don't like it or even find it disgusting that I still have a classic head after all these years, then they can TP away from me any time they want to.
That said, I meet very few people on an average day on my building platform.

• Like 4

I'd have to say that the majority of people who message are responding to something I've written in my profile that either struck a chord or a nerve.  Either way, it's at least a way to start a conversation!

Messages about my avatar are usually positive and often to ask where something is from.  I always respond to those too and usually with an LM to the store or event.

Depending on the day and my mood, my group tag either gets a laugh or a HUH?  Presently, I'm using Misanthrope.  Tomorrow might be Fix Your Damn Arms.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I make girl avatars that are dressed casual but still attractive and they are usually treated well by both men and women in SL. I made a new mesh guy avatar and it's like that old Simon and Garfunkel tune started playing, "Hello darkness my old friend..." 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I usually get positive comments about my avi. I try to make her look my RL self.

I remember long ago me and my man were both logged in and went to a special event. About 5 minutes later we booted from the event as the person putting it on said "Sorry, mixed couples not welcomed here." 

I'm sorry to hear about that last part of your post. Can't believe there's people like that even today.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Kimmi Zehetbauer said:

I remember long ago me and my man were both logged in and went to a special event. About 5 minutes later we booted from the event as the person putting it on said "Sorry, mixed couples not welcomed here." 

So sorry to hear that you've had to go through this experience. While we'd love to think that people in SL are more enlightened, the reality is that we are still a reflection of all facets in RL society.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 838 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.