How do other people react to your avatars?

Gopi Passiflora

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A large percentage plows into me and pushes me around quite deliberately.  That generally stops when I freeze them until they get frustrated and sublimate.  Others just say something rude then leave.

• Sad 1

In the immortal words of the late, great Douglas Adams, the most common reaction I get is "Gosh*, you're tall", closely followed by "what happened to your arm?"

Most comments are positive, especially when I'm dressed up in one of my fantasy costumes (which I've been doing quite a bit of in the run-up to Halloween) and my furry cat avatar frequently gets called things like "cute" and "adorable".

*They don't actually say "gosh". I'll leave it up to your imagination to figure out what four letter word they use instead.

• Like 3

On 10/19/2021 at 12:52 PM, SlammedSam said:

I sometimes get compliments on my mode of dress. *^_^* I tend to be tomboy-ish, girly girl, or sometimes cosplay.

Hoppy Easter!

Easter time with my homebrew "U.S.S. Cygnus" tee.

X-wing cosplay

And me in the "garage" standing next to an X-wing.

mmmm I love R2.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

@Nick0678,

Sigh. Two thirds of your admirers can't spell. The last one can't even spell "ass".

My life as a grammarian has been a failure.

I noticed that but who am i to judge, english isn't my main language.. (the singer was Canadian 🇨🇦, the other 2 from the U.S  🇺🇲)

Random Stranger: “For some reason, your avatar isn't rezzing. You're all grey.”
Me: "Oh, no, I'm just using a temporary upload file so I can make skins."

99% of my interactions in a nutshell.

Edited by Aria Vortex
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 10/23/2021 at 3:23 AM, Aria Vortex said:

When I test skins I generally am in my skybox keep helps with the you’re all grey comments!   once out of appearance it’s all grey for me to. Lol 

• Haha 1

On 10/23/2021 at 2:08 AM, Lindal Kidd said:

@Nick0678,

Sigh. Two thirds of your admirers can't spell. The last one can't even spell "ass".

My life as a grammarian has been a failure.

you are being silly I think

buuut cool as is how is said where I am from

like woo! that's cool as.  I went to the beach today, it was cool as.  Oh! that's a cool as car. I had a cool as dinner with my family

ps. I did like the person who said they will sing for 10L in private. Who does that ?! Well that person does apparently. Which is cool as ! and who I am to say different 😺

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

ps. I did like the person who said they will sing for 10L in private. Who does that ?!...

Actually i also liked her spirit, she was a young miss from Canada about 20 years old (if her RL photos were real ). 

• Like 2

I spend 95% of my time in SL as my redhead, Katherine. I get hit on a fair amount by guys, even when I'm just checking out other people's galleries or shopping etc. Then at a certain point they either notice/read my profile or are told I'm male and most of them bugger off. Oh well. Most women are cool, especially as I can RP female well enough to fool anyone if I try. But I never do that.

The male avatar I run in? Largely ignored. I tend to not be especially extroverted anyway, so all good.

I also have some TWI and JOMO animals and creatures I can change into, but usually those are among others who are doing the same thing so it's more fun and friendly.

Kat-sunset-1024.jpg

DavidHeartsong-square.jpg

eXxeSs-top.jpg

Edited by Katherine Heartsong
  • Like 6

On 10/20/2021 at 8:04 PM, Ardy Lay said:

A large percentage plows into me and pushes me around quite deliberately.  That generally stops when I freeze them until they get frustrated and sublimate.  Others just say something rude then leave.

And how exactly do you freeze them if I may ask? I did not think we could do that to other people's avatar's...

On 10/23/2021 at 2:23 AM, Aria Vortex said:

Now that is actually a great idea (especially for the holiday :) ). So how exactly did you do that by chance (IE: get just a temporary upload file that turned you all grey)? Cause if I can do that, and just have some weird eyes showing (that glow maybe), it might just make for a interesting Halloween costume (at the very least).

17 hours ago, Nick0678 said:

Went to Uber to check whats new so here's more random reactions..

Screenshot_2021-10-26_17-34-06.thumb.png.db3f197272d0e46d52600376c4bef3ef.png

Hey Nick, I too think that is a very cool looking avatar. Sorta reminds me of a punk rock cyber Borg who looks like he can't be bothered with "resistance" lol. Very, very nice job! 👍🙂👍

Peace...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Night before last I was at a beach..

I was kind of cracking up at the words this guy was using as compliments on my avatar..

I5t may have been my profile though as well..

He said , you seem fascinating and amazing, some kind of dopamine or glutamate..

I had to look up glutamate.. It sounded like gluten.. hehehehe

I said, wow, nobody has ever said that to me before.. hehehe

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Nick0678 said:

Few more reactions while afk/shopping @Kinky Event this time.

Screenshot_2021-11-01_13-25-04.thumb.png.d0c18f94ac9a7ee11ec8e05a804d7652.png

You should try that artbreeder thing on that avatar.. It would be wild to see what it would look like if it was super realistic..

I mean it looks really amazing now, but I think it would be just really neat to see what that artbreeder thing comes up with for it..

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

You should try that artbreeder thing on that avatar.. It would be wild to see what it would look like if it was super realistic..

I mean it looks really amazing now, but I think it would be just really neat to see what that artbreeder thing comes up with for it..

Gave it a try yesterday Ceka and it turned to a good looking woman for some reason. (seriously i am not trolling you)

I am going to try again later when i 'll have more time and post it.

• Like 1

@Laurel Aureliajust made a really great point about this thread in Discord.

To be clear, this isn't a reflection on what anyone has posted here, nor a criticism of the thread itself, which is pretty harmless fun.

But the experience of women in SL can sometimes be somewhat different than the "gosh you look cool" stuff we're seeing here. And that's a reflection of a larger cultural problem that surrounds how women are read, perceived, and treated generally in public spaces.

Yes, I do get the occasional "your avi looks amazing!" or "where did you get that dress?" -- mostly, but not always, from other women. And those are lovely; I appreciate them because they are not merely flattering, but also respectful, and civil. These are people who treat me as a person deserving of civility, as well as praise.

But what I get more of, pretty much exclusively from men, are the lewd remarks, the come-ons, and the "slaps your a**" type of comment. How I look and dress is too often seen as an invitation for that kind of discourse. Indeed, just being a woman is, for some, justification enough for a crudely sexual and sometimes insulting comment. What is most disturbing is that those sending such missives mostly probably think they are "flattering" me.

I think the same kind of things, with differences, are likely experienced by furries, or those who represent in ways that are not conventionally "attractive."

It's lovely that people are the recipients of flattering and non-sexual or invasive remarks, and it's nice to see those here. But it's important to acknowledge, too, that there are gendered differences in how people are treated in public, and that these reflect some perspectives and beliefs that are pretty toxic.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

@Laurel Aureliajust made a really great point about this thread in Discord.

To be clear, this isn't a reflection on what anyone has posted here, nor a criticism of the thread itself, which is pretty harmless fun.

But the experience of women in SL can sometimes be somewhat different than the "gosh you look cool" stuff we're seeing here. And that's a reflection of a larger cultural problem that surrounds how women are read, perceived, and treated generally in public spaces.

Yes, I do get the occasional "your avi looks amazing!" or "where did you get that dress?" -- mostly, but not always, from other women. And those are lovely; I appreciate them because they are not merely flattering, but also respectful, and civil. These are people who treat me as a person deserving of civility, as well as praise.

But what I get more of, pretty much exclusively from men, are the lewd remarks, the come-ons, and the "slaps your a**" type of comment. How I look and dress is too often seen as an invitation for that kind of discourse. Indeed, just being a woman is, for some, justification enough for a crudely sexual and sometimes insulting comment. What is most disturbing is that those sending such missives mostly probably think they are "flattering" me.

I think the same kind of things, with differences, are likely experienced by furries, or those who represent in ways that are not conventionally "attractive."

It's lovely that people are the recipients of flattering and non-sexual or invasive remarks, and it's nice to see those here. But it's important to acknowledge, too, that there are gendered differences in how people are treated in public, and that these reflect some perspectives and beliefs that are pretty toxic.

In general, the responses I get to my avatar are respectful.  An occasional one which isn't is somewhat expected as I'm usually in adult venues.  One would think I'd receive more but I don't.  My male friends, on the other hand, receive far more lewd comments from women than I would have guessed.  Just an interesting observation from my experience.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 805 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.