Morality and Law

Ayeleeon

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

15 minutes ago, Amina Sopwith said:

That's supposed to be how the law works...

And if the law worked the way it was supposed to all the time everything would be great, but we all know the law does not work the way it is supposed to all the time. We need to be prepared for those times when it does not work right.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Ayeleeon said:

And if the law worked the way it was supposed to all the time everything would be great, but we all know the law does not work the way it is supposed to all the time. We need to be prepared for those times when it does not work right.

What do you mean by "the law working right"?

4 hours ago, Ayeleeon said:

Law should be based on what is right, law does not determine what is right.

In most places (well, maybe not most, since I don't really know exactly how the legal system works in all parts of the world ) the law is based on what is accepted as morally right in that location at that time.  However, what is accepted as morally right changes over time and it often takes a while for laws to catch up.  Long ago, slavery was considered "right" by many in the US and in Europe.  It used to be considered "right" for a husband to be able to demand and have intercourse with his wife despite whether or not she wanted to.   For a long time, it was considered morally right that women were the property of their fathers & husbands - and in some parts of the world, it is still legally that way.

Then again, some of the laws in the US have very little to do with morality and very much to do with power & influence.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

Ok, as one of the new people here, I'm just gonna say this about the topic... I hope your ready...

1) The Law: The law is not about good, or evil, or right or wrong, or truth or lies. It's only about one thing, and that is the law. In no country in the world or in history even, has the "law" ever been perfect or about anything other then the law. Ask nearly any long term police officer or judge and they will tell you the same thing.

2) Morality: That is a major topic that has been discussed for thousands of years by politicians, theologians, and philosophers. And while a good topic of discussion, often times it can lead to heated arguments and disagreements, because like beauty, morality is in the eye of the beholder. And while many, many people can agree on what is moral or not, there will always be someone who disagrees. And that's ok too, because without the freedom to discuss such things (respectfully), we may never learn anything, let alone agree on what is moral in the first place (as a society that is; individual morality is a another huge topic).

3) Reality: That is always based on perception and general consensus... always. Why? Because as a limited species of perception, reality is always based on what we know (or understand) what reality is. For example, some way in the past thought the sun revolved around the earth, but later when our repseptional knowledge grew we discovered that wasn't the case. And what about the earth itself? Some people in history thought it was just flat, but was that true? No, please don't ask a flat-earther lol. My point is, perception is reality, and reality is perception. And both evolve and grow with time (sometimes lol). And if want a good example of this, watch the movie "In The Mouth of Madness.". Then you may understand... or you may not... IF you are not seeing everything as blue that is lol...

4) Cat Thread: As a person who loves cat's, now your talking. So sum up my post, and to make it even relevant with a cat picture, please consider this (and smile too)...

death-cat-argyle-sweater_orig.jpg

• Haha 1

On 10/2/2021 at 5:46 AM, Ayeleeon said:

We each vote, and the majority rules.

is a little more to it than this

the minority have to acquiesce to the will of the majority

when the minority don't then there is no rule of law

in  a contestable society, which democracies are, the rule of law only works when both majority and minority accept the outcome of a contest

On 10/1/2021 at 9:07 AM, Amina Sopwith said:

Godwin in the opening post?

But how do I know you're the authority on what's right? What if I think you're the one who's been brainwashed?

This is precisely the problem with propaganda. Many people do not realize that they are brainwashed, and they think that their fellow man is. It is why true history is so important. And true history is not something we are taught in high school or college, it is something we have to extensively research ourselves.

Edited by xLunaea

On 10/1/2021 at 10:09 AM, LittleMe Jewell said:

There actually was one, maybe two, responses that mentioned that a child cannot consent.  I do remember reading it, though the thread has been thoroughly sanitized on that subject, so cannot go back and pull it up.

It is not just the ones in power that manager to brainwash the masses.  These days, sometimes all it takes is for one person, with enough followers, to post something in social media that somehow gets tons of views and takes off almost like it has a life of its own.

One person's truth is another person's lie - and sometimes which is which isn't known until long past the events themselves, when they are being looked at in retrospect.

That was me who said that children can't consent

6 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Wow, that is a really profound thought there.

It's also quite true.

For a society to exist, there has to be some sort of functioning state with a body of rules about how the society works and a means of enforcing them.

The law is that body of rules.   They may be horrible, unjust, unfair laws,  and the courts may be biased and corrupt, but if you're going to have  a state, you need some rules.    That's the law and that's its function.     To be  a vital component of a state.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 974 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.