Olympics

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

23 hours ago, Rat Luv said:

I want to see one of the fencers drop his sword and put his hands up...and then, when the other's about to prod him, he uses his foot to flip the sword into the air, catches it, and they start fighting again 🙂

I knew a saber fencer who would place his saber point down against the ground, palm flat on the end of the pommel. Then he'd press down, bending the blade, and release the saber. It would spring up into his hand, making a half turn on the way, and he'd drop into en garde position. (This was in the days before saber was electrically scored)

Another saber fencer was accosted by two muggers outside the gym. He reached into his equipment bag and pulled out his saber. The muggers persisted for a while, but he quickly drove them off. When the police asked if he could describe them, he said, "Sure. Look for a couple of guys with bloody slashes on their cheeks." Fencing weapons aren't sharp, but they are still whippy pieces of steel.

• Like 3

On 7/24/2021 at 10:05 AM, Krystina Ferraris said:

From 2024 apparently, if all goes to plan, darts will be an Olympic sport 😂🍻🎯

Imagine all those athletic beer bellies and excotics.

Former world champion Peter Wright (UK) in one of his dayly changing sports outfit:
Peter_wright-1560117707.jpeg

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Sid Nagy said:

Imagine all those athletic beer bellies and excotics.

Former world champion Peter Wright (UK) in one of his dayly changing sports outfit:
Peter_wright-1560117707.jpeg

I believe darts in Europe are like bowling in the US.

Front.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

But these guys make a lot of money with their darts.
Michael van Gerwen (NL) (former 3 times world champion) for instance made a total of 9.2 million Euro so far in price money.

Darts is so popular in some countries because it can be played in almost every pub or café.
A good pint of beer, and off you go.
But those pro darters have a remarkable precision.

One hundred and eeeeeeeeeeeighty!

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 3

We got a dartboard when I was little. But I quite soon found it's a lot more fun to play dart-tag with your brothers than it is tossing at a board on the barn wall ..

• Haha 3

22 minutes ago, Rat Luv said:

🤩

Darts is fun...the players can get quite narky with each other though, lol. 

Yes, darts can be fun to watch.
My favorite is Gerwyn Price at the moment, with MvG as a good second.
A shame it goes to pay TV soon, at least here in the NL. Just like formula 1 racing.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

I led a very "important" echo.. echo.. echo.. high school competition swimming race once.
1/3rd of the race to go, no one else within cooee, crowd & teachers going banannas...
I slowed, stopped, swam under the lane markers to the side, got out and sat down to watch the finish.
I never swam competitions again after that and life was good.
I had fun splashing friends, laughing, jumping/diving and holding my breath for ages instead. 

I won't be watching. (not even on my comp - don't have a TV).

• Like 1

On 7/27/2021 at 12:08 PM, BelindaN said:

Lots of stuff I just dont get. Sport is one such thing. So I won't be watching any of it, and dodging it on the news.

But not on the forums?
;)

• Haha 2

A bit of small country talk:
For the first time in our Olympic history, the Dutch team scored 8 medals in one single day.
The previous 'record' was 7 at the Olympics in Amsterdam 1928.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 6

I’m kind of a weirdo with no interest in competitive Sport, so the Olympic Money Pit does as little for me as any of the rest.

I’m very much into Fitness, especially as age creeps up on my flexibility, balance and muscle-mass - but only as individual effort.

I have nothing *against* the olympics beyond questions about the cost-vs-benefit, they are just “not my jam”.

image.gif

• Like 4

On 7/30/2021 at 12:59 AM, Rat Luv said:

"Look at the speed of the Dutchies!" xD

Watched bits of the BMX racing...it's really hard to catch it on the BBC though 9_9 Probably my favourite event now...

It looks a bit silly in my eyes: Grown ups performing on child sized bikes. Not really my sport to watch.

• Haha 1

I've been watching clips  and highlights on youtube of a little of everything..

I have to say, no matter the sport, I'm really enjoying the sportsmanship that is going on..

I was just watching the women's hammer throw.. When it was all over, the silver medalist from china came over and gave a big hug to Deanna Price from America as she was sitting on the ground watching, because she had  hurt her foot earlier..

In the mens pole vault, all the other vaulters and everyone cheering  and clapping in beats for Mondo Duplantis as he had already won but had a run left to try and break the world record..

It's just a really good thing to still see that these days..

That's my favorite thing to see, the little bits and the big bits of sportsmanship, I think.

• Like 1

The Olympics should be over a little longer time period.
Of course a pain for the organization, but it would make it easier to watch the sports on tv.
Now a lot of sports are shown as snippets only, because the networks concentrate live coverage on what sells the most commercials.
If the Olympics where 1 or 2 weeks longer (without putting more sports on the Olympic agenda) a lot more sports could be covered live and get the attention they deserve too.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

The Olympics should be over a little longer time period.
Of course a pain for the organization, but it would make it easier to watch the sports on tv.
Now a lot of sports packed into snippets, because the networks concentrate live coverage on what sells the most commercials.
If the Olympics where 1 or 2 weeks longer (without putting more sports on the Olympic agenda) a lot more sports could be covered live and get the attention they deserve too.

Or maybe they could just cut out the stuff that is just ridiculous being in the Olympics to start with.  Skateboarding?  BMX Biking?  Beach Volleyball?  Rugby???  I mean...SERIOUSLY??  What will be in there next?  Pole Dancing?

• Like 2

You forgot golf, shooting and horse events IMHO.
To me especially with the horse events, it is more an achievement of the horse than the person on the horseback. Put an ace rider on a lame horse and he/she is toasted. And a mediocre one on a top horse and he/she is a winner. So the available money to buy a top notch horse is to decisive IMHO.

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1006 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.