Misuse of the word LGBT(QI+) in Place description.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

4 hours ago, Chris Nova said:

People just throw in words that have nothing to do with the sim at all…for traffic. Exactly like how they tag their products when uploading into MP. That’s why you see pe*ises in garden decor. 

They are like plants and (hopefully) grow with sufficient ritualistic attention. Sadly, I've murdered every plant I've ever touched :/

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/19/2021 at 4:14 PM, Maitimo said:

There are many regions that are specifically for gay men or specifically for lesbians, and they don't just want all-and-sundry dropping in. If you run an adult cruising gym for gay male bears, you wouldn't want to also allow women (cis or trans). If you run a bar and social hangout for lesbians, it equally makes sense to make it a women-only space (again, cis and trans).

Back when I was playing a gym HUD game on Neph, I ran into this a fair bit. The game owners required any 'official' gym to be open for everyone to be able to 'check in' to get their daily rewards for doing so. Most solved it by allowing anyone to show up and hang in the lounge where the rewards were located, and then having signs asking people to respect the rules for who was allowed to enter the gym itself. 

I'm not entirely sure what to think about it though. I can certainly see why venues might want to allow entry for only specific people, but I'm also of the pretty stern opinion that if something is allowed to be excluded one way, then it must be equally fair to exclude in the opposite way - and I most certainly wouldn't condone of venues excluding people by their sexual alignment. Besides, in SL there's the ever-present issue of how no one can know who's behind an avatar anyway; I did my daily workout routines in a women only gym simply because it was the least laggy one around, and whilst I don't loudly decry that my alts' pilot is a heterosexual man, I don't make any secret of it either. For all intents and purposes, they're both asexual anyway.

In response to the OP though: yeah, spamming popular tags that are unrelated to the venue's actual content is annoying, but since there's no policing thereof, it's frequent - tons of places sneak in a 'Bloodlines' tag as well, but when you get there it's the usual vampyrophobia with the bold 'you bite, we ban'-kind of stuff (but never say whether it includes consensual biting - I seldom bite anyone in public anyway, but I fail to see how a venue is 'Bloodlines friendly' if touching my HUD would get everyone's knickers in a bunch). I don't know whether LL actually consider it any kind of offence either, though. 

• Like 1

On 7/19/2021 at 1:05 AM, Bold Burner said:

Stop using LGBT(QI+) keywords when you do not allow all that fit that description on your sim...Otherwise...your use of LGBT(QI+) keywords are misleading,  confusing and disrespectful

I absolutely agree. Thank you for calling this out!

4 hours ago, Orwar said:

Back when I was playing a gym HUD game on Neph, I ran into this a fair bit. The game owners required any 'official' gym to be open for everyone to be able to 'check in' to get their daily rewards for doing so. Most solved it by allowing anyone to show up and hang in the lounge where the rewards were located, and then having signs asking people to respect the rules for who was allowed to enter the gym itself. 

I'm not entirely sure what to think about it though. I can certainly see why venues might want to allow entry for only specific people, but I'm also of the pretty stern opinion that if something is allowed to be excluded one way, then it must be equally fair to exclude in the opposite way - and I most certainly wouldn't condone of venues excluding people by their sexual alignment. Besides, in SL there's the ever-present issue of how no one can know who's behind an avatar anyway; I did my daily workout routines in a women only gym simply because it was the least laggy one around, and whilst I don't loudly decry that my alts' pilot is a heterosexual man, I don't make any secret of it either. For all intents and purposes, they're both asexual anyway.

Ahah! My alt does that game too (as did I for a little while but it got far too time-consuming to do it on more than one account).

I do know the gyms you're referring to though, I think. There's one for women only and one that is strictly men only (actually two now, since a month or two ago). I don't usually go in any of those, I just grab the dailies and leave. But then there are others (Bucks Brickyard and Aurora Bearealis are two which I can recall offhand) which seem to allow anyone to use the entire gym even though the regions themselves are geared towards gay men. Which kind of makes sense really because the gym game is a separate thing from any other content, and people who are interested in the gym are generally not at all interested in the rest of the region.

In any case the women-only gym you're referring to I think is basing its "women-only" rule on the avatar itself rather than on the gender of the pilot, so Neph would probably be fine in there anyway. Unlike Nel, who has facial hair and no boobs. 😁

Aside from those three gyms that restrict access to one gender or another, there are about two dozen more that welcome anyone (at least any adult).

Edited by Maitimo

On 7/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, Quistess Alpha said:

So, if a place labels itself 'Sci-fi' but excludes klingons, is that also misrepresentation?

(I'm playing devil's advocate, and generally agree with the sentiment that LGBTQIA+ places shouldn't exclude people)

If I was the devil I would fire you right now.

Anyway, more to the OP´s topic, Im a straight dude, and I dont even go out much to community sims, but I have seen the LGBTQI tags in the places that I go, like scenic sims, and parks, where there are often couples dance animations and places to sit and cuddle.  And all of this dances and poses are made for straight, traditional couples.

So even if no one is going to ban or eject you from the sim, I think it´s still wrong to use the tags if you dont provide any ammenities for the communities that you are adverticing for.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, FreeToSL said:
7 hours ago, Doris Johnsky said:

Just for clarification:

Is LGBQ a word now?

yes, but it´s spelled TERF

FWIW I'm sure there are LGB things that don't affect the TQ people or the IA+++ as much, inclusion is great, but intersectionality aside, not every issue affects every group equally.

That said, nice one Free 👍

On 7/18/2021 at 11:05 PM, Bold Burner said:

Yet... what I'm worried about is Sims using  LGBT(QI+) as a keywords in their place description to promote their sims... BUT... when you go there... "No Women", "No Men", "No T-boys", "No Shemales", "No Trans"... and so forth.

Stop using LGBT(QI+) keywords when you not allow all that fit that description on your sim...Otherwise...your use of LGBT(QI+) keywords are misleading,  confusing and disrespectful. 

Yeah...

I've been seeing this for years with anything related to indigenous people. Whole regions and references to 'Amazons' or Inca etc that have nothing to do with us - but are instead Gor or sex-venues. Essentially done to an offensive level.

People also keyword stuff all the time. There was a period some years back where every region in SL had the word 'neko' in it. This making it impossible to find anything actually neko related. That's gone now, but other keyword spam takes it place...

3 hours ago, cunomar said:

Somebody ought to create a sim for "normal people" that'll cause havoc 🤣

So LGBT people aren't normal people?

In this day and age I thought everyone knows you have to be very careful how you word things...

Edited by Drayke Newall

• 4 months later...

I was reading allot about the LGBTQI+ community and the frustrations of finding that place that fits for you.  I was going through that same frustrations and came up with a solution for myself and want to share it with the rest of the LGBTQI+ community.   I made my own website listing places I find or asking around for what others thought was a place that should be listed. I created categories to filter out what you where in the mood for and if available I would capture a Google calendar of that venue so I could make a master calendar of ALL my favorite venues. I even made it so you can choose your letting in the LGBTQI+ to narrow it down for your preference. So here it is   https://slpridedirectory.com/   Enjoy!

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, robertsscot said:

I was reading allot about the LGBTQI+ community and the frustrations of finding that place that fits for you.  I was going through that same frustrations and came up with a solution for myself and want to share it with the rest of the LGBTQI+ community.   I made my own website listing places I find or asking around for what others thought was a place that should be listed. I created categories to filter out what you where in the mood for and if available I would capture a Google calendar of that venue so I could make a master calendar of ALL my favorite venues. I even made it so you can choose your letting in the LGBTQI+ to narrow it down for your preference. So here it is   https://slpridedirectory.com/   Enjoy!

Your site doesn't seem to have any distinguishing information about who's running it or what your selection process is. Why should I trust some anonymous person's filter rather than using the official SL search? (That's a rhetorical question that should be answered by your site's "about" page.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Your we

38 minutes ago, robertsscot said:

Your website is biased and not at all giving an answer to the problem.. First.. I started this post because .GIN City IS REALLY for all LBGTBQ+ We accept ALL ... The problem is that the groups you showed on the website is EXACTLY the reason I started the post as MOST of the places you state Do NOT accept all LGBTQI+ but use the term anyway in their keyword box. 

And funny enough.. .GIN City is not in there at all..

I can imagine there are more places that use the LGBTQI+ Genuinely .. which you've also not stated..

Your list is So Flawed! Sorry.. this by far NOT a solution at all... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bold Burner said:

MOST of the places you state Do NOT accept all LGBTQI+ but use the term anyway in their keyword box. 

Well said actually if you are a Bisexual male, many of those places are Lesbians only.

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the feed back to the site I created thus far. As you can see this is my first time posting in the SL Bogs. This website is a project I started on my own a few weeks ago and yes it is limited to what I have found personally. And suggestions as to places that you would like to see listed in the site is greatly appreciated. I do want to point out that the Site was designed for all LGBTQI+ and has the capability to filter what letter you would prefer. I talk to the owners or managers of the SIMs to understand the nuances to what they have created.  I have learned that posting on someone else thread is my fault and will not happen again as a newbie to this. Sorry that what I created had a negative effect for people. 

About .GIN City

Orientation: LGBTQIUAS+
Zone: 21+ strictly human. 

Pffffffffffftttttttt, strictly human; that had a negative effect for people. BUT LOOK Bloodlines is included! Those are vampires, not humans! Pfffffffffttt. I'm spreading word ok don't go there, like pretend its inclusionary then be like STRIKLY HOOMAN

12 hours ago, robertsscot said:

I was reading allot about the LGBTQI+ community and the frustrations of finding that place that fits for you.

Well i still don't understand how and why it is refereed as LGBTQI+ community when actually we aren't a community.

There are very few places that truly are  LGBTQI+ and accept everyone. The rest have very strict rules when it comes to genders and looks.

(..if those places were owned by straight people we would come here and call them out for being racists so let's not fool ourselves.)

Edited by Nick0678
  • Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 879 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.