Visitors coming to my skybox, all new residents?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have security on my skybox, and almost every day or so, I get a visitor and they are ejected and banned.

Here's a sample one:

The object 'Land-Security Orb 3.5.75' has sent you a message from Second Life:
[2021-05-04 2:41 PM] Entered area: LIIZZZZZ Resident

= Land-Security Orb 3.5.75 is owned by Sands of Eros
 = http://slurl.com/secondlife/ [rest of slurl removed]

They all have the last name Resident, and seemingly are always NEW residents/members.

How are these people finding my address so exactly that they try and TP in. I don't understand. Is my address on a sign somewhere?

Note: I just went in and fixed my location showing in several of my PICKs. I had no idea those showed my home and location of the skybox.

Thanks,
Sir Michael Stardust

• Like 1

Because the teleport protocol routes people to the nearest accessible parcel if they are not allowed at the destination they initially tried.

I wish LL would change that to just give a message that you're not allowed at the location, otherwise it just aids griefers with re-entry to another location in a region without them having to manually try finding one themself, not to mention, routes bots as well.

Edited by Lucia Nightfire
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Sire Sands said:

I have security on my skybox, and almost every day or so, I get a visitor and they are ejected and banned.

Here's a sample one:

They all have the last name Resident, and seemingly are always NEW residents/members.

How are these people finding my address so exactly that they try and TP in. I don't understand. Is my address on a sign somewhere?

Note: I just went in and fixed my location showing in several of my PICKs. I had no idea those showed my home and location of the skybox.

Thanks,
Sir Michael Stardust

Could be bots - there are a variety that do parcel & region surveys and other stuff.  Have you waited to see if they TP away quickly?  Typically bots will TP in and then away in less than a minute.   

If you haven't owned that parcel for long, it could also be an old landmark that new folks are picking up somewhere.

• Like 2

My suggestion would be to set your parcel with a landing spot at ground level or somewhere else that isn't your skybox, and set teleport routing to landing spot only..  You'll have your Set Home spot in the skybox so it won't affect you, but anyone else arriving, or trying to teleport within the parcel, will only end up at your landing spot and will not be able to get into the skybox. You can override it for friends by sending them a teleport invitation.

Also yes, when you create a Pick it will default to the location you're at when you create it. However you can edit them later without changing the location.

• Like 2

The marketplace is full with "see item inworld" links from merchants long gone.
If you have bad luck and that parcel was once from one of those merchants, you will always have visitors once in a while.

Don't make a too big deal out of it, is my advise.
Only when someone keeps showing up when you are around yourself it can get annoying, that is the moment to ban.
Who cares who is on your land in the end when your not there?

Have a walk or better a fly over the houseboats in Bellisseria.
Most of the boats have all doors open while nobody is at home.  Most don't have security systems on.
Nothing can be stolen or rearranged. The sheets don't get dirty, infected with germs, or smelly when someone uses your bed when you're not around.
Not everything from RL applies in SL.

99.9% of the times "intruders" TP out moments after they land or when they really want to use your house for something, the moment you land at your home is when they depart. 

Edited by Sid Nagy
  • Like 5

I'm seeing a similar thing too at my mainland parcel. A blank profile account featuring a name with repeated letters. Not only do they show up at the landing point on the ground, but in my skybox 2,000 meters in the sky. What info are they after that high in the sky?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Maitimo said:

My suggestion would be to set your parcel with a landing spot at ground level or somewhere else that isn't your skybox, and set teleport routing to landing spot only..  You'll have your Set Home spot in the skybox so it won't affect you, but anyone else arriving, or trying to teleport within the parcel, will only end up at your landing spot and will not be able to get into the skybox. You can override it for friends by sending them a teleport invitation.

Also yes, when you create a Pick it will default to the location you're at when you create it. However you can edit them later without changing the location.

I'm going to try this, thank you Maitimo.. makes sense to set it up that way.. I have TP pads on the ground/beach, I'm going to double check those are ADMIN only access, too.. otherwise, land on ground, TP pad to Skybox :( ..thank you...

• Like 1

Just now, Sire Sands said:

I'm going to try this, thank you Maitimo.. makes sense to set it up that way.. I have TP pads on the ground/beach, I'm going to double check those are ADMIN only access, too.. otherwise, land on ground, TP pad to Skybox :( ..thank you...

If they're bots (which I suspect they are) it's unlikely that they would try to use the teleporters. They will be pre-programmed to carry out a specific task (eg a region survey) and won't notice or interact with anything that's out of scope of their programming.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've been seeing this for a few months. My guess back then was they were doing a survey to replace the broken map feature with a web-based one, but it's far more likely they're bots looking for parcels just gone up for sale or gone vacant.

That could well be.
I'm on private land with my sandbox and in Bellisseria for my home and I haven't seen one as described yet.

9 hours ago, Sid Nagy said:

The marketplace is full with "see item inworld" links from merchants long gone.

That really needs an automated purge. At least one object UUID from the marketplace upload should be found within the parcel of the "see item inworld" location. Run a batch job to do that. Then send a message to each merchant where the object can't be found. 30 days of no-find, and the "see item inworld" link blanks out.

• Like 2

There were issues in Bellisseria with them appearing in certain homes on a daily basis. Whatever the bots are doing, they could be set to appear on roads and other public land for mainland/homes and the ground for private regions. But they don't do that, so here we are.

35 minutes ago, animats said:

That really needs an automated purge. At least one object UUID from the marketplace upload should be found within the parcel of the "see item inworld" location. Run a batch job to do that. Then send a message to each merchant where the object can't be found. 30 days of no-find, and the "see item inworld" link blanks out.

As far as I'm concerned they could easily go to: When the merchant isn't online for a certain number of time, all the merchants stuff on the marketplace is put offline together with the inworld links. But that is more stuff for another thread I guess.

Edited by Sid Nagy

17 hours ago, animats said:

That wouldn't work with objects sold by vendors (which is nearly everything these days), and it wouldn't work for non-tangible assets like textures, scripts and so on. These things cannot be rezzed out, and if you do put them in a box to sell, the UUID of the box or vendor won't match the UUID of the actual asset you're selling.

• Thanks 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, Sire Sands said:

Here's a sample one:

Thanks,
Sir Michael Stardust

OK, I’ll stop handing out the landmarks…. 🙂

image.gif

• Haha 4

On 5/5/2021 at 6:09 AM, Profaitchikenz Haiku said:

I've been seeing this for a few months. My guess back then was they were doing a survey to replace the broken map feature with a web-based one, but it's far more likely they're bots looking for parcels just gone up for sale or gone vacant.

Landbots are a violation of the TOS.

• Like 1

On 5/4/2021 at 8:33 PM, Sire Sands said:

If they are Peaceful Visitors or state they are then you might be breaking the rules by ejecting them. I would suggest making a donation to them and putting up a banner on your property line to let them know your allied with them (part of their tribe) then they will likely move on to the next land owner.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

On 5/5/2021 at 3:52 AM, Lucia Nightfire said:

Because the teleport protocol routes people to the nearest accessible parcel if they are not allowed at the destination they initially tried.

I wish LL would change that to just give a message that you're not allowed at the location, otherwise it just aids griefers with re-entry to another location in a region without them having to manually try finding one themself, not to mention, routes bots as well.

I can understand why that might land people inside a house at ground level, but at some arbitrary z coordinate on the parcel that just happens to be inside the OPs skybox?

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

Peepers

Parsing profile picks for locations to peek.  Using agent info for locations to peek.  There are a number of ways to collect locations where avatars spend time.  We know by watching some third party viewer users that parcel landing points and no-fly settings are being ignored by many.  Viewers also have tools to teleport to agents on the mini-map and it can be done with a script.  Are they taking snapshots when they get there?  We cannot tell until we find those snapshots online somewhere, then it's usually not possible tie SL accounts and image board accounts together unless the perpetrator gets sloppy.

Survey bots

Why would there be a need for so many "survey bots"?  What do they contribute to the Second Life Experience?  I'd ban them from my own land without compunction if I didn't know there would be another along doing the same thing for the same or other master.  The ban list that goes all the way up is of limited capacity.

Old Marketplace Links

Can they be expunged when the land ownership changes?  Can it be a button on the parcel settings so that accidental erasure does not occur when agent owned land is deeded to a group or purchased back by an agent, etc?

Stale landmarks

I have found myself in the awkward situation of using a landmark and landing on an occupied bed.  I often wish a landmark would prompt for confirmation explaining that the name of the destination parcel, or perhaps ownership thereof, has changed.

• Thanks 1

Day One changed all the picks locations (or those that I put up on my land), changed landing zone place, re-set all tpers to access only by my group. Also, just to see if they are just whizzing by (bots) I gave them 10secs to leave by warning. So far, 24 hours in, not a single visitor banned or ejected. Thanks for all the tips and suggestions. Wasn't a huge deal, but annoying none the less, and couldn't figure out how they were finding my skybox.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Sassy Kenin said:

If they are Peaceful Visitors or state they are then you might be breaking the rules by ejecting them. I would suggest making a donation to them and putting up a banner on your property line to let them know your allied with them (part of their tribe) then they will likely move on to the next land owner.

And if they're vampires? Just let 'em bite you?

• Haha 1

If the skybox is under a group of yours and you make any changes in the wording of the group description or in the description of that group, bots will start coming.  Over the years I've noticed this on my own regions. I've seen it start within minutes of making changes.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1084 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.