Bath or shower?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I used to take a bath after showering because I want to be in the clean good smelling water and it was always a fragrant bubble bath.  I currently have a half bath with a shower which I can use lots of suds.  

My basic routine throughout my life has been shower/morning, and then bath evening, except Summer vacation because I got dirty in my youth in the Summer and needed a shower at night.

My preferred if I can't take a bath in the evening would be shower in the evening.  I feel my sheets are clean, I want to be clean getting into my linens.  Plus, I think the dirt, especially with pollution, gets on us during the day, making a shower in the evening logical.  However, then I'd have to use a blow dryer to dry my hair as I use showers for easier shampoo and conditioning and I like my hair to air dry because it remains slightly wavy that way.  If I use a blow dryer my hair is too straight.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Claireschen Hesten said:

If i could physically manage it still and still had one it would be bath all the way, don't enjoy having to stand in a shower but it's all i can manage these days

I think if I had a nice big Jacuzzi bath, I'd be in there a lot although getting in and out might be a problem with the bad hip.  Right now, we're thinking of replacing our tub/shower combo with a walk in shower.  

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Using the word 'soak' there truly made me laugh - since soak basically means to saturate with water.

Oh no, someone is poking fun of a choice of word I made in a secondary language? I ought to be outraged, or even offended!

If you stand under a shower for thirty seconds, and move around to let the water flow all over you, you're essentially saturated with water. You're not trying to absorb it to saturate your skin throughout - unless the raisin look is what you're going for? So, your specified technicality through which the word would be inaccurate, is inaccurate. Soak, basically, means to 'make thoroughly wet', it does not by the definition of the word alone, universally, require anything to be 'saturated' or that it must absorb the water. Heck, with context it can just refer to being more wet than you would be comfortable with - "Oh no, the faucet splashed all over my shirt, I'm soaked!" 

a1147e1be3b4a38d3cc1ab9f234c8f43.png

If rain can soak one's hair, so can a shower. Still, glad I could give you a laugh, I guess? 

50 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Oh no, someone is poking fun of a choice of word I made in a secondary language? I ought to be outraged, or even offended!

<snip>

Still, glad I could give you a laugh, I guess? 

It was by no means intended as an insult in any way.  I got a chuckle simply because of my normal usage of the word and what I think of when I think of 60-90 seconds of spraying water on myself.

If I stop to really wait for 60-90 seconds to pass, 'soak' fits better as the time is definitely longer than it sounds, but my initial thought is that 60-90 seconds seems to be such a short period of time that I would have to move around a lot to manage to get myself thoroughly wet in that amount of time.  When I am showering, it seems like it takes that long just to thoroughly wet my very thick hair.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It was by no means intended as an insult in any way.  I got a chuckle simply because of my normal usage of the word and what I think of when I think of 60-90 seconds of spraying water on myself.

If I stop to really wait for 60-90 seconds to pass, 'soak' fits better as the time is definitely longer than it sounds, but my initial thought is that 60-90 seconds seems to be such a short period of time that I would have to move around a lot to manage to get myself thoroughly wet in that amount of time.  When I am showering, it seems like it takes that long just to thoroughly wet my very thick hair.

Amongst the definitions of "soak" in Orwar's post is...

(of a liquid) penetrate or permeate something completely

I think that's the definition you're imagining, which is how I view "soak" in the shower/bath context and is why plumbing and home remodeling stores sell "Soaking Tubs". I haven't truly soaked until my fingertips turn pruney or, at the very least, paints, varnishes, glues, and oils come easily and completely off my skin. Though I often need to soak off the day's grime, I do that in the shower. I take care of all the easy cleaning first, giving the water time to soak into the skin of my fingers, which I attend to at the very end. I don't step out of the shower until my fingernails are clean.

Similarly, you'd not want to eat my chili if, just an hour before serving it, I'd "soaked" the dried beans by running water over them for 30 seconds.*

If I'm making pasta for dinner, I'll start soaking the pasta, at room temperature, a few hours before. Only a little heat (in the microwave, until steaming) is needed to break down the starches (and maybe kill off some harmless microbes) at the end.

*You might not want to eat my chili at all if you think it should never contain beans, or if you have a delicate constitution.

Edited by Madelaine McMasters
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Love Zhaoying said:

Ironically, RL me is now on a high fiber diet. My superpower is now continuous farting. 

Oh you can have a budget jacuzzi 💨 😄

I think people are worrying too much about germs, lol. The soap must cancel them out? There is nothing nicer than on a cold winter afternoon if you get caught in the rain, coming home and running a hot bath and having a soak and listening to music ❤️

But I eat food if I drop it on the floor, so I am probably immune to most germs by now anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1090 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.