Buy Fee Change Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Linden Dollars can be purchased and sold on the Lindex at the current market rate, or residents can set their own limit to get a better exchange rate. 

They are sold for USD.  Then transferred to PayPal.  When you do a limit buy, those being sold by others are the ones being bought.

Edited by Rowan Amore
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

No.  I'm wondering what this means below from the Wiki...  If one cannot redeem through Linden Lab, then who is redeeming into real money when one cashes out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Second_Life

The virtual world Second Life has its own economy and a virtual token referred to as Linden Dollars (L$). In the SL economy, users (called "residents") buy from and sell to one another directly, using the Linden, which is a closed-loop virtual token for use only within the Second Life platform. Linden Dollars have no monetary value and are not redeemable for monetary value from Linden Lab. A resident with a surplus of Linden Dollars earned via a Second Life business or experiential play can request to refund their Linden Dollar surplus to PayPal. This economy is independent of the price of the game, which users pay to Linden Lab, not to each other.

I'm assuming you are referring to the part that I bolded near the end.  

That is a simplification of the process and NOT WRITTEN BY LL. 

NOBODY is actually giving PayPal L$.  PayPal only gets the resulting US Dollars after selling the L$ on the LindeX.

Stuff in the wiki is not always exact and no more guarantee of truth than anything else you find on the internet.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell

1 minute ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I'm assuming you are referring to the part that I bolded near the end.  

That is a simplification of the process and NOT WRITTEN BY LL.

Stuff in the wiki is not always exact and not more guarantee of truth than anything else you find on the internet.

The Wiki on the Linden said it was last updated January 2021.  

It does make you wonder who is writing this stuff and no one is countering what the Wiki says.  It was late last night, and with LL who DOES write many Wikis, I was assuming it was theirs.  Then, it's not.  

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

No.  I'm wondering what this means below from the Wiki...  If one cannot redeem through Linden Lab, then who is redeeming into real money when one cashes out?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Second_Life

The virtual world Second Life has its own economy and a virtual token referred to as Linden Dollars (L$). In the SL economy, users (called "residents") buy from and sell to one another directly, using the Linden, which is a closed-loop virtual token for use only within the Second Life platform. Linden Dollars have no monetary value and are not redeemable for monetary value from Linden Lab. A resident with a surplus of Linden Dollars earned via a Second Life business or experiential play can request to refund their Linden Dollar surplus to PayPal. This economy is independent of the price of the game, which users pay to Linden Lab, not to each other.

Fixed it.

A resident with a surplus of Linden Dollars earned via a Second Life business or experiential play can offer to exchange with other users via the LindeX exchange provided by Linden Lab.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The Wiki on the Linden said it was last updated January 2021.  

It does make you wonder who is writing this stuff and no one is countering what the Wiki says.  It was late last night, and with LL who DOES write many Wikis, I was assuming it was theirs.  Then, it's not.  

That Jan 2021 update was "cosmetic", according to the comments associated with it. 

If you review the names of the folks that updated that Wiki page, at least back to 2014, there isn't a Linden name in the batch.

So it is definitely not "official" and is simple other people's interpretation of things.

• Like 3

56 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm wondering what this means below from the Wiki...

Wow Fairre, you are quite the researcher.  It indeed does pay to wander down some of your sideroads with you   :)    And now Coffee has even fixed the entry...

• Like 5

15 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Wow Fairre, you are quite the researcher.  It indeed does pay to wander down some of your sideroads with you   :)    And now Coffee has even fixed the entry...

Yeah, that's cool Coffee was able to do that.  Research on the internet....  Oh my gah...you have to know so many of us do not want to get into website nor Wiki links here as it pretty much gets no where.  One says this, the other says that.  However, that was one time I thought that was a Wiki by LL because they write most of their own.

What I am interested in cryptocurrency mining is really for a different reason.  The reason being would be more like taking that idea but turning it into something more sane that would attract a larger younger crowd.  We have talked about eggs, nope those would be farmed out.  We have talked about incentives to log in, some like it/some don't.  

I think the younger crowd does need something a little more exciting than perhaps what SL was to us, but then again this train of thought and branching into something else, really, from threads I've read, gets no where and we are back at square one.  However, part of this fee is for new onboarding, yet we don't know exactly what yet.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

21 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

However, that was one time I thought that was a Wiki by LL because they write most of their own.

Everything on the Wiki is publicly created and updated. -- skim this:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:About

The official SL wiki, created by Linden Lab is here (notice the "secondlife.com" domain):
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Main_Page

• Like 2

But also regarding the SL wiki, there is this 

Important: The majority of this wiki's content (like SL itself) is Resident-created and while it may be helpful, we can't vouch for its accuracy, except for pages in the "Linden Lab Official" namespace. For official documentation, see the Second Life Knowledge Base

So neither is the 'official' information.  I couldn't say how often LL checks in on their wiki to see if it's accurate.

• Like 1

Fun Fact: many residents have a Wiki on them documenting them, just put "SL"  in front of the name and "Wiki".

Also Wiki is now unreliable and far to one political side and ideology,  they allow business to pay to remove anything they don't like and remove people while promoting hate against anyone who goes against an official narrative. google works really hard to hide it in search for there friend.

Just one of millions of people and companies cancelled : do not let the name fool you Fudzilla is a very known and respected Tech Website.

And to stay on topic LL needs to grease Googles hands more as it's all about "location"(search) online not how old software that has no expiration date is. Raising Taxes(fee's) should allow this

Edited by Sassy Kenin

19 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

Also Wiki is now unreliable and far to one political side and ideology,  they allow business to pay to remove anything they don't like and remove people while promoting hate against anyone who goes against an official narrative. google works really hard to hide it in search for there friend.

Yelp is famous for letting business pay for removing bad comments. I never believe what's on Yelp anymore.

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

You're missing the small part about currencies being the purview of governments. Linden Lab and Chuck-E-Cheese can make all the tradable tokens they like, just so long as the government allows them to.

10 hours ago, Solar Legion said:

Oooh, swing and a major miss on that.

Perhaps you might try to go to any shop/retailer/anywhere that is not Second Life (or related to it in some way) and try to purchase goods using Linden Dollars. Let us know how well that goes.

No, you don't get to convert it through Linden Lab first.

ETA: Owing to prior experience with those who have tried to rationalize similar views of the Linden Dollar, I'm terminating this 'discourse' before it goes further than this. It is not worth the time.

And people wonder why I don't humor this peanut gallery called a forum.

One last thing:

"Perhaps you might try to go to any shop/retailer/anywhere that is not Second Life (or related to it in some way) and try to purchase goods using Linden Dollars. Let us know how well that goes.

No, you don't get to convert it through Linden Lab first."

How about this, you go to Japan or any country outside of the US and try to buy something with US Dollars. You can't. You have to go through the Bureau de Change and exchange your USD for Yen, etc.

Same *****, different currency.

Edited by Rathgrith027
  • Haha 3

Oh for .... Another swing, another miss.

Your "argument" (and variations) has been used each and every time someone has tried to defend the idea that Linden Dollars are an actual currency as opposed to tokens. Each and every time it has been laughed at and debunked.

Linden Dollars are glorified Chuck-E-Cheese tokens, beginning and end. Their resemblance to actual currencies begins and ends within Second Life itself.

Second Life is not a real world country, Linden Lab is not a governing body, the Lindex only superficially resembles a Stock Exchange/Financial Institution and no matter how much you protest, it will not change reality.

• Like 3

The Mrs says she will just cut her membership fee to make up the cost. Which means less group space which means less shopping, which means less linden will be purchased .Which in turn will affect  business owners. Clearly you can see the pattern.

All those people doing breedibles will be affected as well.

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Davidlifetime said:

The Mrs says she will just cut her membership fee to make up the cost. Which means less group space which means less shopping, which means less linden will be purchased .Which in turn will affect  business owners. Clearly you can see the pattern.

All those people doing breedibles will be affected as well.

please read the previous 25 pages .. ALL who buy over a certain amount need to adjust their selling patron , buy bigger amounts, spend less or, if used to buy weekly smaller amounts, nothing will change.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.