Buy Fee Change Discussion

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

21 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

That's not what I said Doc. No where did I say anything about anyone going into any office and demanding financial statements (which can be obtain through the Freedom of Information Act). All publicly held companies publish financial statements annually. 

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/119.asp

As for that POS you mentioned, look at his family and how his grandfather and father became rich and what he did to blow it all. How has he gotten away with all of his crimes over the decades? The same way all the rest of the rich do. 

I said already to @AdminGirl that we might have a misunderstanding. My replay was about who has a right by law to ask a company even for the most internal finanical informations at any time. According my knowledge only the tax authorities have this right. And even them won't get those informations without a warrant by a judge or court in some cases. I admit that I noticed to late that some of the other replays were talking about public relation informations. I'm sorry about that. Thank you for the link. :) Well, we live in a world with a system that favours the rich. No question.

Edited by Doc Carling
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Doc Carling said:

I said already to @AdminGirl that we might have a misunderstanding. My replay was about who has a right by law to ask a company even for the most internal finanical informations at any time. According my knowledge only the tax authorities have this right. And even them won't get them without a warrant by a judge in some cases. I admit that I noticed to late that some of the other replays were talking about public relation informations. I'm sorry about that. Thank you for the link. :) Well, we live in a world with a system that favours the rich. No question.

No worries Doc. I could see it was just a misunderstanding. 

You're welcome and thank you!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

It being a tax writeoff doesn't make it free, just that a portion of the expense will not have a tax rate applied to it. Monies still had to be laid out for its development.

I'm skeptical that viewer fixes warrant a hundreds of percent increase in fees.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm skeptical that viewer fixes warrant a hundreds of percent increase in fees.  

Per LL, it is not just one thing justifying the fee increase -- whether that be EEP or viewer changes or whatever.  From the blog post:

At present we are:

• Investing in our infrastructure to further improve speed and cadence of updates 
  • Overhauling the onboarding experience for the newest Residents
  • UI cleanup 
  • Developing new marketing initiatives and entertainment partnerships to fuel growth
  • Preparing for SL18B 
  • Less glamorous but no less crucial is our ongoing and growing work to ensure compliance with multiple regulatory
  • requirements

Whether the Residents consider that to be proper justification for the fee increase is definitely a different matter.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Per LL, it is not just one thing justifying the fee increase -- whether that be EEP or viewer changes or whatever.  From the blog post:

At present we are:

• Investing in our infrastructure to further improve speed and cadence of updates 
  • Overhauling the onboarding experience for the newest Residents
  • UI cleanup 
  • Developing new marketing initiatives and entertainment partnerships to fuel growth
  • Preparing for SL18B 
  • Less glamorous but no less crucial is our ongoing and growing work to ensure compliance with multiple regulatory
  • requirements

Whether the Residents consider that to be proper justification for the fee increase is definitely a different matter.

There were many of us who believed the new investors were far more interested in Tilia, and yes it's Tilia with one L (I thought I'd point that out as it's being misspelled all over this forum), than they were in SL.

I can say I have never seen a jump in fees like this in my entire life, it's a hundreds of percent jump in fees.  It's an illogical jump in fees that it makes me wonder if something else is going on here - cryptocurrency mining to come most of all.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 2

11 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Will. You. Stop. It. With. The. Absolutely. Bunk. Crypto. Angle.

Care to explain a hundreds of percent jump in fees for SL, logically?  It's a birthday, and other usual things such as viewer fixes and onboarding that caused a hundreds of percent jump in fees?  Not to mention most of them are tax write-offs except the birthday.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, FairreLilette said:

Care to explain a hundreds of percent jump in fees for SL, logically?  It's a birthday, and other usual things such as viewer fixes and onboarding that caused a hundreds of percent jump in fees?  

Hmm, let's see here .... Operations costs went up a bit, there are several projects in the works (with the listing we were given not an exhaustive one) as well as potentially finally catching up to the increases we'd have been seeing all along, over a longer period of time.

You know, normal things. Thing it does not take much thought whatsoever to entertain or conclude.

This is not the first time someone has brought up that absolute bunk as an 'explanation' for some action by Linden Lab (and now the new holding company) and it is frankly tiresome.

8 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Not to mention most of them are tax write-offs except the birthday.

Sorry, but a Tech company cannot write off SALARIES of people.  It is salaries of people that comprise almost all of the costs associated with the things in the list that LL provided.

Exactly what costs are you referring to that are tax write-offs?

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

6 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Care to explain a hundreds of percent jump in fees for SL, logically?  It's a birthday, and other usual things such as viewer fixes and onboarding that caused a hundreds of percent jump in fees?  Not to mention most of them are tax write-offs except the birthday.

Cryptocurrency mining isn't just turning your pc on and then in generates a steady amount of bitcoints automatically. If you are interested, please read this. How long does it take to to mine 1 bitcoin. You need thousands of servers to mine a noteworthy amount. Not to talk about the imense electricity costs. The few thousands of additional USD which Linden perhaps earn with increasing fees are peanuts compared with that.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Hmm, let's see here .... Operations costs went up a bit, there are several projects in the works (with the listing we were given not an exhaustive one) as well as potentially finally catching up to the increases we'd have been seeing all along, over a longer period of time.

You know, normal things. Thing it does not take much thought whatsoever to entertain or conclude.

This is not the first time someone has brought up that absolute bunk as an 'explanation' for some action by Linden Lab (and now the new holding company) and it is frankly tiresome.

Not very logical.  A hundreds of percent increase I've never seen anything like it in my entire life.

When I started SL, I thought the MP fee of 5% was far too low.  I felt they deserved better than that and 10% is fine with me.  

However, if it's tiresome, than just ignore it because it's my opinion and I wasn't intending to go further on it.  I am speculating.

This kind of jump in fees isn't normal by any means.  And, cryptocurrency isn't scary.  It's all the rage even though I would never get involved it.  If others wants to discuss cryptocurrency further than a speculation they can start a thread on it though.  For me, I'm kind of with Kimmi, wondering about it is all.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Not very logical.  A hundreds of percent increase I've never seen anything like it in my entire life.

When I started SL, I thought the MP fee of 5% was far too low.  I felt they deserved better than that and 10% is fine with me.  

However, if it's tiresome, than just ignore it because it's my opinion and I wasn't intending to go further on it.  I am speculating.

This kind of jump in fees isn't normal by any means.  And, cryptocurrency isn't scary.  It's all the rage even though I would never get involved it.  If others wants to discuss cryptocurrency further than a speculation they can start a thread on it though.  For me, I'm kind of with Kimmi, wondering about it is all.

Can you list the fees which were recently raised by 100 %?

Repeated mentions goes a wee bit beyond "speculating" especially when done the way you have.

As far as what is "logical" .... Sorry, this is how Linden Lab has done many things in the past and is - in that light - perfectly "logical".

If you do not want responses on a particular topic or train of thought, do not mention them.

• Like 1

Amazon, Hulu, Netflix, Disney and a whole host of others also implemented fee increases.  Are they updating anything?  The fee increase for purchasing Ls is, in my opinion, an across the board increase that will effect the most users instead of dumping it all on premium members or land owners.  Just as in RL, as region owners (landlords) get an increase in taxes, they'll pass that on to tenants.  It's how the world works.  At the end of the day, LL and Tilia is in business TO MAKE MONEY.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Solar Legion said:

Repeated mentions goes a wee bit beyond "speculating" especially when done the way you have.

As far as what is "logical" .... Sorry, this is how Linden Lab has done many things in the past and is - in that light - perfectly "logical".

If you do not want responses on a particular topic or train of thought, do not mention them.

That's because people took my speculation and were answering on it.  As well as mistaking my sarcasm concerning other things.  

I do not recall seeing a hundreds of percent fee increase with LL before.  If there was, it must have not mattered to me or I was not here at that time.  

And, besides, it cannot go beyond speculation, as I am resident only.  I have no Linden after my name nor insider information.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 2

Most people forget Linden Lab(s) is based out of San Francisco, the rising costs for local business's are enormous and continuing to grow.

CEO should consider moving the lab to Texas or Florida considering most are already remote and the trickle down effect could make SL much more affordable.

• Haha 1

That's because people took my speculation and were answering on it.  As well as mistaking my sarcasm concerning other things.  

I do not recall seeing a hundreds of percent fee increase with LL before.  If there was, it must have not mattered to me or I was not here at that time.  

And yet you did not mention whatsoever that it was pure speculation until your prior response nor did you cease mentioning it as some potential reason.

As far as the fee increase ....Boy did you miss what was being said by a mile. They have made large jumps in varied costs, fees and other things before, that was the beginning and end of that. You can stop trying to find an increase of "hundreds of percent" in their past now.

Gads .... Were's an Eye Roll reaction when ya need one ....

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Sassy Kenin said:

CEO should consider moving the lab to Texas or Florida considering most are already remote and the trickle down effect could make SL much more affordable.

LL is a super liberal company.  Whether or not it might make good 'business' sense to move, given how conservative those states are, I cannot see LL even contemplating that.

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Doc Carling said:

Can you list the fees which were recently raised by 100 %?

Not sure what you mean?  I spoke only of MP fees going up.

On another note (not to Doc's post), they should get 2FA up and running as soon as possible as people may start taking quadruple or way more amounts of lindens out now because of this fee.  2FA should have been done first.

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Not sure what you mean?  I spoke only of MP fees going up.

On another note (not to Doc's post), they should get 2FA up and running as soon as possible as people may start taking quadruple or way more amounts of lindens out now because of this fee.  2FA should have been done first.

double-facepalm.gif

• Like 6

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

as people may start taking quadruple or way more amounts of lindens out now because of this fee. 

Why would an increase in the fee for buying L$ cause people to sell more L$ and take the money out to RL?

Other than the very few that might leave SL entirely.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Why would an increase in the fee for buying L$ cause people to sell more L$ and take the money out to RL?

Other than the very few that might leave SL entirely.

What if someone tries to hack into the viewer, couldn't they get the lindens?  I wouldn't feel comfortable at this time taking large sums of lindens out.  2FA is needed if people are going to be taking super large sums of lindens out.  

Plus, I didn't say the above, you did.

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1002 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.