COVID rants /shares 2.0 thread

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 5/1/2021 at 5:22 PM, Arielle Popstar said:

Those "some" should recognize that often correlation does equal causation if there is no other causative factor. We wouldn't want to have to resort to miracles now would we?

No, it indicates a possibly interesting coincidence, nothing more, until you can reliably replicate it, and then it might become worthwhile investigating the matter further, starting with a close analysis of the figures and what they're actually telling us.

Meanwhile, in my country, the UK, a combination of a tight lockdown since the end of December  and the vaccination programme that started the same time have brought the infection, hospitalisation and death rates way down, to what they were last summer, only this time our cautious steps towards reopening don't as yet seem to have been followed by the expected increase in positive tests or (more importantly) the hospitalisation and death rates.

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Yet Merck, the creator and a prime manufacturer of Ivermectin has yet to find any evidence to support its use in the treatment of Covid-19.

https://www.merck.com/news/merck-statement-on-ivermectin-use-during-the-covid-19-pandemic
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivermectin#COVID-19

Any company coming up with a proven treatment for COVID is a license to print money with staggering government contracts on the table. If a company has such a magic bullet, it absolutely wont be a secret wrapped in a conspiracy that the mainstream media would purposefully ignore.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Madelaine McMasters said:

Addressing Vitamin D deficiency will potentially produce better outcomes for all respiratory illnesses, Covid included. This is not news.

I am vitamin D deficient, and take 4000IU daily during the winter and 2000 during summer, with the goal of keeping my serum Vitamin D level around 50ng/ml. I have discussed Vitamin D and Covid-19 with my family practice physician, oncologist (cancer has taken three shots at me), and immunologist (I present several auto-immune disease markers). We're all in agreement that addressing my deficiency is sufficient, and there's no reason to go beyond that for any particular goal. I'm all for maintaining general health, but that's not the same as promoting "bullets" as you do.

I'm going to have to disagree that it isn't news. It very much is as it is only in the past couple years that Vitamin D levels has been increasingly touted as being such a strong indicator of immunity health. Great you have some doctors who are up on it as a great many general practitioners are not. Unfortunately in North America more than 75% of medical schools have no courses on the nutritional playing a huge part in the disease model. Even the schools that do teach nutrition, it is apparently only a 25 hour course in it. Thx for mentioning what a good Vitamin D level  is as a Doctor I was listening to on youtube today was mentioning the 50ng/ml also. It was a good talk that also got into a few other aspects that have been discussed in this thread including an answer as to why repurposed treatment drugs for Coronavirus are not promoted by the FDA, CDC or NIH. His presentation is just the first 30 minutes of the video.

In the March 4 video, Cole makes claims suggesting that federal agencies have acted nefariously, as well as claims that undermine vaccines and promise miracle treatments.

We’ll address his four main claims.

Although there is no evidence to support this, Cole suggested that some of the COVID-19 vaccines could cause cancer or autoimmune diseases.

Again, without evidence, Cole suggested that the federal government withheld a treatment for COVID-19 in order to “vend” a vaccine.

Studies haven’t proved that ivermectin is effective in treating COVID-19, but Cole claimed that federal agencies “have suppressed this life-saving medication.”

Cole said public health officials should encourage people to take vitamin D supplements rather than wear masks or stay physically distant from others.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are we going to have to debunk every single fringe "expert" one by one?

OBVIOUSLY maintaining the level of ALL the vitamins and minerals your body needs is important.

Does doing this magically make the global COVID pandemic go away? No.

India is really suffering right now. What season is it in India right now? It's mid summer !

Everyone in India is maxing out their natural Vitamin D production. Is it helping? No.

Excessive Vitamin D commonly causes kidney damage / failure, consuming more than necessary is a bad thing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm going to have to disagree that it isn't news. It very much is as it is only in the past couple years that Vitamin D levels has been increasingly touted as being such a strong indicator of immunity health.

Vitamin D levels are not an indicator of immunity health. Did you already forget the video you posted explaining that Vitamin D is an indicator of... exposure to sunlight? I'd think that suffering neither many infections, nor auto-immune diseases, is an indicator of immunity health. Though my Vitamin D levels were low before supplementation, in the first thirty years of my life, I probably had the flu once and got two colds. Since taking Vitamin D, I think I've had the flu once.

I've been taking Vitamin D supplements for about 20 years, after being tested for lupus and finally diagnosed with leukopenia. My Vitamin D serum levels were low, though not incredibly so for a Wisconsinite in winter. I have three other markers for auto-immune disease, so I was advised to maintain my serum Vitamin D at 50ng/ml because of research coupling Vitamin D deficiency with rheumatoid arthritis, another auto-immune disorder. That advice was given to me twenty years ago.

Here's the Google Trends plot for interest over time in "Vitamin D"...

1406392425_ScreenShot2021-05-02at9_47_33PM.thumb.png.54063a6a83e243bedd8076acaea22b6e.png

There was an increase in interest starting 15 years ago, which hasn't dissipated. You can see the Covid-19 induced spike at the end of the graph.

I don't imagine many people are interested in autoimmune disorders, so I'll guess the increase in interest is related to research indicating that the Vitamin D deficient are at increased risk for severe respiratory infections from cold and flu. Covid-19 is a respiratory illness, so it stands to reason that having normal Vitamin D levels might help there as well.

I can't recall if I mentioned this earlier, but since returning to the wild to shop for groceries in-person, I've also returned to chatting up my pharmacist. When picking up my prescriptions last week, I did inquire about Vitamin D sales. There has been a noticeable uptick over the last year, particularly of higher dose capsules. This correlates with the uptick in the Google Trend data.

I won't challenge your claim that the the well known perils of Vitamin D deficiency are news to you, or even to Dr. Cole.

I'll stand by my claim that this is not news to a lot of other people, including my physicians, twenty years ago.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 hours ago, Coffee Pancake said:

India is really suffering right now. What season is it in India right now? It's mid summer !

Everyone in India is maxing out their natural Vitamin D production. Is it helping? No.

I didnt read all the convo leading up, but happened to see this - yes there is plenty of sun but people prefer to stay out of it as much as possible. So vit d deficiency may be a factor - impossible to say without testing. I take vit d - not likely to do any harm in a low dose and it may do some good. Maybe it just helps me feel better to do something.

One thing severely affecting the crisis in India is high rate of diabetes 😔

11 minutes ago, Akane Nacht said:

I take vit d - not likely to do any harm in a low dose and it may do some good.

Please get a blood test. If you are Vitamin D deficient, it is quite unlikely that a low dose of Vitamin D will do any good at all, and a high dose could be very bad if you don't need it. (To repeat myself from much earlier: Vitamin D is "real medicine" in that, unlike most vitamins and supplements, excess is not readily cleared by the body.)

It may take several tests over months and years for your doctor to find a proper steady dosage, and even that may need ongoing adjustment with changes of diet and lifestyle, but it's an important deficiency that needs proper treatment, not just "a little extra can't hurt".

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Qie Niangao said:

Please get a blood test.

Probably a good idea. I was following general recommendations from health authorities here.

That said I have been cutting back on supplements and adjusting diet instead. For one thing supplements are expensive and for another, I like eggs and fish. 

9 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

I'm going to have to disagree that it isn't news. It very much is as it is only in the past couple years that Vitamin D levels has been increasingly touted as being such a strong indicator of immunity health. Great you have some doctors who are up on it as a great many general practitioners are not. Unfortunately in North America more than 75% of medical schools have no courses on the nutritional playing a huge part in the disease model. Even the schools that do teach nutrition, it is apparently only a 25 hour course in it. Thx for mentioning what a good Vitamin D level  is as a Doctor I was listening to on youtube today was mentioning the 50ng/ml also. It was a good talk that also got into a few other aspects that have been discussed in this thread including an answer as to why repurposed treatment drugs for Coronavirus are not promoted by the FDA, CDC or NIH. His presentation is just the first 30 minutes of the video.

Rather than watch an hour-long video, I consulted our NHS website here in the UK about vitamin D.   

Their headline advice to the public (including me):

It's important to take vitamin D as you may have been indoors more than usual this year.

You should take 10 micrograms (400 IU) of vitamin D a day between October and early March to keep your bones and muscles healthy.

There have been some reports about vitamin D reducing the risk of COVID-19. But there is currently not enough evidence to support taking vitamin D to prevent or treat COVID-19.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/vitamins-and-minerals/vitamin-d/

Why do you say I should prefer the medical advice of someone on a YouTube channel called "Idaho Freedom TV"  to that offered by the UK's National Health Service? 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Innula Zenovka said:

Why do you say I should prefer the medical advice of someone on a YouTube channel called "Idaho Freedom TV"  to that offered by the UK's National Health Service? 

Wow, the NHS only recommends 400 UI with no qualifiers? Fire them! Even Canada's lackluster recommendations have at least been upped it 50% to 600 UI and 800 UI for older people. Some qualifiers that should add to their intake are people who smoke, ex-smokers due to depleted supplies while they smoked, obesity as there are recommendations that those sort need up to 3x the amount because of the tendency for Vitamin D to be stored in the fat rather than being available to the blood levels. Cancer patients both before and after treatments as they like Covid patients, have been shown to be majorly deficient. 400 UI is simply not enough to get the blood levels back to a point that at least prevent rickets, which is what the original recommendation was meant to counteract. Dietary science has progressed a long way since the time those numbers were suggested.

I had hoped you at least would have watched the 30 minute segment that had the presentation by the guest speaker as he is not only a doctor but also head of the largest private lab in Idaho and as such has some familiarity with the legal ramifications of vaccines vs treatments and as he pointed out in his talk, the national health institutions at least in the USA cannot be recommending, investing or promoting vaccines if there are existing treatments available for specific ailments. I would have to wonder if the UK agencies would not be under a similar agenda especially considering that they would have had to sign contracts with the vaccine manufacturers that would guarantee the vaccine investments would not be undermined by the competition with a existing repurposed drug. From that light it is small wonder that Vitamin D treatments and drugs like hydrocloronique and ivermectin cannot be given official sanction without risking some major litigations with all the Pharma companies working on fast tracking Covid vaccines.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Akane Nacht said:

I didnt read all the convo leading up, but happened to see this - yes there is plenty of sun but people prefer to stay out of it as much as possible. So vit d deficiency may be a factor - impossible to say without testing. I take vit d - not likely to do any harm in a low dose and it may do some good. Maybe it just helps me feel better to do something.

One thing severely affecting the crisis in India is high rate of diabetes 😔

I'm not sure what you mean by "helps me feel better to do something".  Do you mean fatigue?  I had terrible fatigue with my Covid vaccine for six weeks.  You may need vitamin-C.  Vitamin-C helps us absorb iron and iron helps us fight fatigue.  Get your energy up a bit and then move around, do a little house-cleaning or something.  Get your blood circulating through your body by moving around - vitamin-C may help you achieve that, as least a little bit.  It is also very good to eat things with vitamin-C if you can.  Besides oranges/tangerines, spinach is rich in both iron and vitamin-C.   I used vitamin-C for six weeks.  My doctor said it's fine.  Ask your doctor first.  Most doctors prefer you eat sources of vitamin-C if you can.

On 2/23/2021 at 1:40 PM, Paul Hexem said:

Companies that expect their employees to keep coming to work, keep paying them minimum wage, and give them each only one crappy little mask

Yeah this pandemic has brought out the worst in my company too. It's proven to every employee that the owners don't care AT ALL. They're barely doing the minimum that the government requires to keep people safe. It makes you feel resentful about helping them grow their business.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

Wow, the NHS only recommends 400 UI with no qualifiers? Fire them! Even Canada's lackluster recommendations have at least been upped it 50% to 600 UI and 800 UI for older people. Some qualifiers that should add to their intake are people who smoke, ex-smokers due to depleted supplies while they smoked, obesity as there are recommendations that those sort need up to 3x the amount because of the tendency for Vitamin D to be stored in the fat rather than being available to the blood levels. Cancer patients both before and after treatments as they like Covid patients, have been shown to be majorly deficient. 400 UI is simply not enough to get the blood levels back to a point that at least prevent rickets, which is what the original recommendation was meant to counteract. Dietary science has progressed a long way since the time those numbers were suggested.

I had hoped you at least would have watched the 30 minute segment that had the presentation by the guest speaker as he is not only a doctor but also head of the largest private lab in Idaho and as such has some familiarity with the legal ramifications of vaccines vs treatments and as he pointed out in his talk, the national health institutions at least in the USA cannot be recommending, investing or promoting vaccines if there are existing treatments available for specific ailments. I would have to wonder if the UK agencies would not be under a similar agenda especially considering that they would have had to sign contracts with the vaccine manufacturers that would guarantee the vaccine investments would not be undermined by the competition with a existing repurposed drug. From that light it is small wonder that Vitamin D treatments and drugs like hydrocloronique and ivermectin cannot be given official sanction without risking some major litigations with all the Pharma companies working on fast tracking Covid vaccines.

There seem to be two separate issues here

• Are Vitamin D supplements advisable in general and, if so, in what quantities?
  • Are Vitamin D supplements advisable as either a prophylactic against, or a treatment for, Covid-19?

The NHS base their advice, ultimately, on the guidance given by the National Institute for Health and Care Excellence.    

You can read their full rationale for the guidance here, discussing their reasons for giving the advice they do, both about Vitamin D in general and Covid 19 in particular.   

As to your point 

I would have to wonder if the UK agencies would not be under a similar agenda especially considering that they would have had to sign contracts with the vaccine manufacturers that would guarantee the vaccine investments would not be undermined by the competition with a existing repurposed drug.

you don't need to wonder, since  the supply agreement between the British government and AstraZeneca is available here:  AstraZeneca - UK contract - Contracts Finder

Which clause do you say imposes this requirement you describe? 

Edited by Innula Zenovka
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

https://www.factcheck.org/our-funding/

We do not accept funds from corporations with the exception of Facebook, which provides funding as part of Facebook’s initiative to debunk viral deceptions, and Google, which provided a one-time grant to support our COVID-19 coverage in 2020. 

Good thing they aren't biased!

14 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I'm not sure what you mean by "helps me feel better to do something".  Do you mean fatigue?  I had terrible fatigue with my Covid vaccine for six weeks.  You may need vitamin-C.  Vitamin-C helps us absorb iron and iron helps us fight fatigue.  Get your energy up a bit and then move around, do a little house-cleaning or something.  Get your blood circulating through your body by moving around - vitamin-C may help you achieve that, as least a little bit.  It is also very good to eat things with vitamin-C if you can.  Besides oranges/tangerines, spinach is rich in both iron and vitamin-C.   I used vitamin-C for six weeks.  My doctor said it's fine.  Ask your doctor first.  Most doctors prefer you eat sources of vitamin-C if you can.

I meant more in terms of maintaining a healthy immune system as I don't get out much in the heat of the day. I catch cold readily but really haven't in the past year. I take care to have plenty of vit c rich fruits and veg, which probably also helped. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

Well that site at least was a little more entertaining as far as factchecking sites go. Nothing like a good eyeroll to counter all the silly allegations of those anti vaxxers! Thanks for the laugh but ultimately still a fail as having any real rebuttal. They need to up their game to convince the skeptics.

• Haha 1

48 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

https://www.factcheck.org/our-funding/

We do not accept funds from corporations with the exception of Facebook, which provides funding as part of Facebook’s initiative to debunk viral deceptions, and Google, which provided a one-time grant to support our COVID-19 coverage in 2020. 

Good thing they aren't biased!

Why do you say it's in the interests of either Facebook or Google to promote falsehoods about either Covid-19 or vitamin-D?

What's in it for them?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1086 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.