COVID rants /shares 2.0 thread

Rat Luv

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Both kept going back and forth all summer long past the july 30th deadline last summer. meanwhile businesses were failing and people were starving and going homeless.. one would give a little and the other not an inch.. If I remember right it was renegotiated because the house put  non covid related things in the bill, just as the last one, which were taken out, not by the senate, but by the parliamentarian because they were non covid related.

Yes, the first one especially was ridiculous but it seemed they wanted to add things to end their fiscal year or something or other for the one in 2020.  And, I agreed that is ridiculous thing to do as these bills or acts should be Covid related only. 

But, regardless, the Senate is split 50/50, 50 percent Republican and 50 percent Democrat.  So, the Republicans voted no and the Democrats voted yes, so if there is a tie it goes to the Vice President to vote to break the tie, which Vice President Harris did, and then the stimulus went through.

As far as this latest one, it seemed to be bickering over whether the minimum wage should be raised to $15 dollars an hour as to what was non-Covid related and the main problem with Republicans.  That was taken out, but the Senate Republicans still voted no.  

Edited by FairreLilette

4 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Not saying you're wrong but I seriously doubt some of those temps were physically capable of doing the job.  Sometimes you just have to admit defeat when I took jobs I knew I wouldn't last in but was desperate for work. Even if all it did was keep what little unemployment I was getting going a while longer so maybe I could find something where they would be willing to work with what for most would be excessive absences. Not everyone is in my situation though. I have the muscle, I just don't have any energy. So I have to pace myself. Most employers find that unacceptable.

We have machines with parts that weigh less than a pound all the way up to 150 pounds.. plus there are mechanical arms and hoists so they don't have to lift anything that will hurt them..

That's just in the production area.. then there are the secondary jobs where parts are on a conveyor going by the person.. some just have to flip the part to the other side and some just blow the holes out with air guns..

Then there is the machining area which is pretty much automated other than pushing buttons..

There are some jobs where we have our experienced guys on, then there are the ones that bring the new people on to start them out and get a feel for them..

we've had 80 year old men that were working for us with the old company.. a lot of them left when the new company bought them out..

19 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

We have machines with parts that weigh less than a pound all the way up to 150 pounds.. plus there are mechanical arms and hoists so they don't have to lift anything that will hurt them..

That's just in the production area.. then there are the secondary jobs where parts are on a conveyor going by the person.. some just have to flip the part to the other side and some just blow the holes out with air guns..

Then there is the machining area which is pretty much automated other than pushing buttons..

There are some jobs where we have our experienced guys on, then there are the ones that bring the new people on to start them out and get a feel for them..

we've had 80 year old men that were working for us with the old company.. a lot of them left when the new company bought them out..

Those 80 year old men didn't have the disease I do.

What I'm trying to get you to see is that you are putting all of those people in the same "bad person" box when there may be very legitimate reasons for SOME of them to not be able to do the job they THOUGHT/BELIEVED they could do.

If that isn't what you are doing (unintentionally) then I apologize for misunderstanding what you were saying and ask for clarity.

Edit: One reason I can't work jobs like that is because I can't stand on a concrete floor for more than a few minutes without experiencing pain. Give me good old dirt and I'm ok for much longer. No  one is going to jackhammer a concrete floor up for one person. lol

Edit2: I've been in that situation before where I had to accept a job I knew I couldn't do in order to keep my unemployment going. If you don't accept a job when offered you lose whatever benefits you had left, if any. So you are forced to accept jobs you may not be able to do even if you really are not qualified for that type of job. You still have to accept or forfeit benefits.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

28 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Yes, the first one especially was ridiculous but it seemed they wanted to add things to end their fiscal year or something or other for the one in 2020.  And, I agreed that is ridiculous thing to do as these bills or acts should be Covid related only. 

But, regardless, the Senate is split 50/50, 50 percent Republican and 50 percent Democrat.  So, the Republicans voted no and the Democrats voted yes, so if there is a tie it goes to the Vice President to vote to break the tie, which Vice President Harris did, and then the stimulus went through.

As far as this latest one, it seemed to be bickering over whether the minimum wage should be raised to $15 dollars an hour as to what was non-Covid related and the main problem with Republicans.  That was taken out, but the Senate Republicans still voted no.  

The senate used reconciliation which means they didn't need the republicans votes to pass the bill with a democrat majority. When they use reconciliation  the Parliamentarian then looks over the bill.. If they don't have the math correct for the money it can be sent back.. If there is anything non related it can be pulled.. That's what she did..

Reconciliation stops any threat of a filibusterer. it's almost like a free pass when you have the majority..

They get three reconciliations a year..

Edited by Ceka Cianci

24 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Those 80 year old men didn't have the disease I do.

What I'm trying to get you to see is that you are putting all of those people in the same "bad person" box when there may be very legitimate reasons for SOME of them to not be able to do the job they THOUGHT/BELIEVED they could do.

If that isn't what you are doing (unintentionally) then I apologize for misunderstanding what you were saying and ask for clarity.

Edit: One reason I can't work jobs like that is because I can't stand on a concrete floor for more than a few minutes without experiencing pain. Give me good old dirt and I'm ok for much longer. No  one is going to jackhammer a concrete floor up for one person. lol

I'm not talking about everyone.. not everyone can work in these plants.. I believe when i first said it, I said a lot of people.. I'll have to go back and see, but that's usually what I say on things like this..

ETA: Ok I'm gonna have to quit for the day.. I just looked at the clock and I'm 15 minutes past my bed time.. Everyone have a great day or night or whatever it is by you.. hehehe

Good night.:)

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

The senate used reconciliation which means they didn't need the republicans votes to pass the bill with a democrat majority. When they use reconciliation  the Parliamentarian then looks over the bill.. If they don't have the math correct for the money it can be sent back.. If there is anything non related it can be pulled.. That's what she did..

Reconciliation stops any threat of a filibusterer. it's almost like a free pass when you have the majority..

They get three reconciliations a year..

Yep, but they had to because the Republicans all still kept saying "no".  They were not going to get the support from Senate Republicans in order to pass it.  This emergency had gone on long enough.  But, Congress does need to stop adding things in there that are not Covid related.

Trump also told Nancy Pelosi, Democrat, he'd sign the stimulus check alone in 2020.  Pelosi refused.  A few weeks later her home was vandalized and written on her doorstep was "where is my money".  Some blamed Pelosi in 2020 for not listening to Trump when he suggested a separate stimulus check only bill in 2020.  

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

It feels more like a big bruise, but down at the muscle level.  If you've ever had a tetanus shot, it feels sort of like that.

Had my first shot yesterday and that's how mine feels but only if I touch it.  With the second shot, my mom slept most of the next day.  Hopefully, when I get mine, that's all I'll experience, too.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Had my first shot yesterday and that's how mine feels but only if I touch it.  With the second shot, my mom slept most of the next day.  Hopefully, when I get mine, that's all I'll experience, too.

My arm does feel a little sore if I try to lift it above shoulder level and a bit sore to the touch, but not near as bad as my first shot.  With my first one, It wasn't just sore to the touch, but truly hurt if I touched it or raised my arm -- real pain, not just sore like a bruise.   

Maybe I tensed my arm a bit when I got that first one -- or maybe this soreness will get worse over the next 24 hours.  I truly don't remember now just when the soreness kicked in on the first one or how long it lasted.  I'm sure I posted about it, so if I cared enough I could probably find it.

As long as arm soreness is the worst of it, I'm good.  

My husband was really tired the day after his shot and took a few daytime naps - he got the J & J one.  Mine is Moderna.  No clue how much that impacts things either.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 2

20 hours ago, FairreLilette said:

Yep, but they had to because the Republicans all still kept saying "no".  They were not going to get the support from Senate Republicans in order to pass it.  This emergency had gone on long enough.  But, Congress does need to stop adding things in there that are not Covid related.

Trump also told Nancy Pelosi, Democrat, he'd sign the stimulus check alone in 2020.  Pelosi refused.  A few weeks later her home was vandalized and written on her doorstep was "where is my money".  Some blamed Pelosi in 2020 for not listening to Trump when he suggested a separate stimulus check only bill in 2020.  

Some Democrats said no as well..

It's probably best if we just agree to disagree.. Because I'm going to always see it as both sides just playing their political games when the country needed them to do their jobs most.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It's probably best if we just agree to disagree.. Because I'm going to always see it as both sides just playing their political games when the country needed them to do their jobs most.

It is difficult to care about the tub after you've (general you) thrown the baby out with the bathwater.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker

44 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Oh, I don't disagree with that.  They didn't need all Democratic votes, however.

But, both congresses, the 2020 one and the 2021 were by far the worst governments I've seen in my lifetime.  Do we need to put a sticker on their head that says "this is an emergency"?  McConnell and Pelosi were the worst, imo.  I truly, truly hold no sympathy for them.   They practically threw a people in the midst of an emergency under a bus.

The stimulus seems to be working in your area Ceka, while I can walk just a few blocks and all those businesses are gone - out of business signs.

Edited by FairreLilette

1 hour ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It seems to be a matter of which one is worse, and so not a black and white issue where one or the other is all bad while the other side is all good.  Unfortunately we have to make voting choices on the lesser of 2 evils.

However, if we're talking about the problem of science delusion (vs which side actually caters more to the poor/working class vs the rich) I'd say the Republicans are winning  this honor (dishonor) by a landslide. Excessive Covid deaths are the result.

Edited by Luna Bliss

12 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

It seems to be a matter of which one is worse, and so not a black and white issue where one or the other is all bad while the other side is all good.  Unfortunately we have to make voting choices on the lesser of 2 evils.

However, if we're talking about the problem of science delusion (vs which side actually caters more to the poor/working class vs the rich) I'd say the Republicans are winning  this honor (dishonor) by a landslide. Excessive Covid deaths are the result.

It was about small mom and pop businesses and me saying Congress didn't do much for them in the stimulus packages..

Then it some how became a tug of war on which party was to blame..

I think we were all there and all walked away with our own results.. Mines not changing from what I seen going on, so if anyone else wants to grab the rope.. I'm done tugging..

hehehe

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

It was about small mom and pop businesses and me saying Congress didn't do much for them in the stimulus packages..

Then it some how became a tug of war on which party was to blame..

I think we were all there and all walked away with our own results.. Mines not changing from what I seen going on, so if anyone else wants to grab the rope.. I'm done tugging..

hehehe

Hope you didn't take my last post as aimed at you personally. It wasn't so I fixed it. Sorry if my post made you feel bad. I was referring to Congress, not you. They fumbled the ball and damn near lost the game. We have a much better quarterback now.

25 minutes ago, Luna Bliss said:

I'd say the Republicans are winning  this honor (dishonor) by a landslide. Excessive Covid deaths are the result.

Yep.  That happened in California.  And with California in lockdown since last November did they care, even about the state that has the largest GDP of the union?  Nope.  I think it's time for California to consider becoming it's own country.  Plus, we'd be past the archaic "Calvinism" of the 1600's and be a modern country.  

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

Hope you didn't take my last post as aimed at you personally. It wasn't so I fixed it. Sorry if my post made you feel bad. I was referring to Congress, not you. They fumbled the ball and damn near lost the game. We have a much better quarterback now.

No I didn't take it as towards me..

I was just referring as to where things started and where they ended up going is all.. hehehe

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here is something interesting..

I walked into work last night and they told me I didn't need to wear my mask anymore, at least for now, If I don't want to..

I was like ,why?

The supervisor said  they would tell us in the morning at the meeting..

I went to the meeting and they said that if you are below a certain infection rate, which is like I think 3 cases at any one time, if I remember right, for a business our size, you don't have to wear them..

I was like, I never heard of this kind of thing ever before..

We haven't had any infections since I think January.. But  now I hear we have a bunch of new temps coming in next week.. so I'm not taking any chances..

ETA: I forgot to add that we still have to do social distancing and that our business is not a closed in place..

there are huge bay doors and fresh air going in from all sides pretty much..

Anyways, Has anyone else heard anything like this before?

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Here is something interesting..

I walked into work last night and they told me I didn't need to wear my mask anymore, at least for now, If I don't want to..

I was like ,why?

The supervisor said  they would tell us in the morning at the meeting..

I went to the meeting and they said that if you are below a certain infection rate, which is like I think 3 cases at any one time, if I remember right, for a business our size, you don't have to wear them..

I was like, I never heard of this kind of thing ever before..

We haven't had any infections since I think January.. But  now I hear we have a bunch of new temps coming in next week.. so I'm not taking any chances..

Has anyone else heard anything like this before?

Our state will rescind mask and other orders when a county falls below 50/100,000 new cases.  So far, only 3 or 4 are below that.  Each state has their own mandates so you might want to check your specifically.

7 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

Our state will rescind mask and other orders when a county falls below 50/100,000 new cases.  So far, only 3 or 4 are below that.  Each state has their own mandates so you might want to check your specifically.

I remember him saying they were going back and forth with corporate over it and they said something like having to be under 3% for our plant. if we go back above that, we'll have to go back to masks..

I'm still gonna wear my things, because summer is coming and we may get a rush of people wanting to get a job..

I kind of sure hope we do, because we're gonna be doing weekends well beyond September as it is now, we're so short handed..

6 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

I remember him saying they were going back and forth with corporate over it and they said something like having to be under 3% for our plant. if we go back above that, we'll have to go back to masks..

I'm still gonna wear my things, because summer is coming and we may get a rush of people wanting to get a job..

I kind of sure hope we do, because we're gonna be doing weekends well beyond September as it is now, we're so short handed..

I'll be wearing mine for the foreseeable future.  I see no reason not to.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Rowan Amore said:

I'll be wearing mine for the foreseeable future.  I see no reason not to.

Here is a picture of my mask.

Fantasy_Rose_Front_O_540x.jpg?v=16161884

Get it?

I'm Super Girl.. hehehe

ETA: Damn this thread, I'm 46 minutes past my bed time!! \o/

Night all.. hehehe

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Haha 3

• Moderators

Greetings, All!

Recent off topic posts regarding non Covid related post have been removed. Please do not bring them up again or additional action may be taken. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Linden_Lab_Official:Community_Participation_Guidelines

• Off Topic Content: Please keep your commentary relevant to the discussion and within the format that the forum, board or question and answer area require. (For example, in the Answers section, please follow the Q&A format of the discussion.) Content that is blatantly off topic is not permitted. You may also not post regarding subjects that do not relate to Second Life except in the General forum discussion board.
  • Thanks 4

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1079 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.