If You Thought 2020 Was Bad...

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

40 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

...Mount Etna just erupted. We're not two weeks into the year and we already have volcanoes and coup attempts.  Plus COVID, of course.

Don't forget the earthquake in Indonesia as well as the plane that went down there. Two volcanos on Java spewing ash.

Edited by RowanMinx

Mount Etna erupts every now and then, I hadn't heard it was at it again, but it doesn't appear to be anything major for now. Besides, if we had another Eyjafjallajökull-event in 2021 that would probably just be a good thing - keep people on the ground for a bit, halt further unnecessary spread of Covid-19 from stupid people thinking that how one shouldn't be travelling doesn't apply to them. And it was, all in all, good for the climate as well.

As far as the 'coup' goes. Meh. There's been enough political shenanigans on these forums as of late. It'll hopefully all be over with by tomorrow (see, I can be optimistic, too!).

And Covid itself, well, the process of vaccination has begun all over the place, so long as people can maintain (and hopefully improve on) isolation until it's kicking in, things should get better soon. 

Unless a certain group of posters are correct in that it will 'taint the DNA of God' and fill us with something made from 'dead babies and Lucifer himself'. If that doesn't get Deathstars to finally release their new album though, I don't know what will!

• Like 3

11 hours ago, PermaRuthed said:

All we're missing is a meteor. Like a rocky cherry on top of a 2020-2021 soft serve poop sundae.

Or that 'whatever' that can fry the electrical grid.  I guess we're doing pretty good really, compared to what could happen.

• Thanks 1

Sadly in the UK the level of covid stupidity remains at a high level. It's on the news every day, and we know people who interpret the rules to suit themselves. I suppose it's a combination of absolute stupidity, mixed with arrogant complacency. Over 1600 deaths today alone.

When police broke up a house party, the attendees all said they never watched the news and were unaware of covid.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

13 minutes ago, BelindaN said:

Sadly in the UK the level of covid stupidity remains at a high level.

I'm pretty sure it's a universal trait in humanity. We've been given extremely clear, strict instructions about how to behave in school: only 5 people at a time at the lunch buffet, keep 2 meters apart, don't congregate between classes (yay, apartheid!), only be in the food court during your specific times, don't have guests, don't go to parties, don't travel collectively, only go into the village if you have errands, etc - and still, most days when I go to lunch I'll see people literary clinging on top of each other, people from different classes sitting next to each other, people moving the chairs closer and moving tables together (I mean there's a reason there's only 2 chairs per table, but nooo, of course Covid safety measures don't apply to you lot). Unfortunately the staff don't have the guts to tell them off in person, instead we have repeatedly been given 'reminders' to follow the rules, every morning meeting .. Which of course they don't seem to understand is directed at them.

The other day I even overheard one saying something along the lines of "I don't understand these new rules, why can't we sit with the other people?". That people remain ignorant of what's been going on for the past year, and remain oblivious of what strategy society has adopted to cope, or flat out refuse to believe that they could possibly be part of the problem .. Well, that's why I become more misanthropic with every passing year; last year certainly added fuel to last a while.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, Orwar said:

I'm pretty sure it's a universal trait in humanity. We've been given extremely clear, strict instructions about how to behave in school: only 5 people at a time at the lunch buffet, keep 2 meters apart, don't congregate between classes (yay, apartheid!), only be in the food court during your specific times, don't have guests, don't go to parties, don't travel collectively, only go into the village if you have errands, etc - and still, most days when I go to lunch I'll see people literary clinging on top of each other, people from different classes sitting next to each other, people moving the chairs closer and moving tables together (I mean there's a reason there's only 2 chairs per table, but nooo, of course Covid safety measures don't apply to you lot). Unfortunately the staff don't have the guts to tell them off in person, instead we have repeatedly been given 'reminders' to follow the rules, every morning meeting .. Which of course they don't seem to understand is directed at them.

The other day I even overheard one saying something along the lines of "I don't understand these new rules, why can't we sit with the other people?". That people remain ignorant of what's been going on for the past year, and remain oblivious of what strategy society has adopted to cope, or flat out refuse to believe that they could possibly be part of the problem .. Well, that's why I become more misanthropic with every passing year; last year certainly added fuel to last a while.

Meanwhile, useless information permeates the minds of all.

I know this only affects a few people and not the large numbers that the disasters above affect, but my apartment burned out last Monday and caught the other three units in the building on fire, too, and that just followed on all the horrible stuff that has happened over the last 11 months for me. I was not having a Happy New Year before that anyhow, but that really put the cherry on top of the sh-- pile.

• Sad 9

4 minutes ago, CaerolleClaudel said:

I know this only affects a few people and not the large numbers that the disasters above affect, but my apartment burned out last Monday and caught the other three units in the building on fire, too, and that just followed on all the horrible stuff that has happened over the last 11 months for me. I was not having a Happy New Year before that anyhow, but that really put the cherry on top of the sh-- pile.

I'm hoping that you weren't physically injured, and sorry that was how your year started.  Hopefully it was a case of all the bad things happening at once, and that all the rest of your year will  be an improvement from that beginning. 

Just now, MoiraKathleen said:

I'm hoping that you weren't physically injured, and sorry that was how your year started.

Everyone, and all the animals got out without physical injury.

1 minute ago, MoiraKathleen said:

Hopefully it was a case of all the bad things happening at once, and that all the rest of your year will  be an improvement from that beginning.

Going off my life in general, and the last 11 months in particular, I seriously doubt this is going to be a good year, and honestly would not be surprised if even worse things happen than going through this fire and recovery. But thanks for the good wishes either way.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

In 2021 "stupidity" will be declared a mental illness making it a recognized illness that can be spread electronically.  Is this a first?  

No ne knows the reason, but scientists talk about the problem, haha.

"People are getting dumber. That's not a judgment; it's a global fact. In a host of leading nations, IQ scores have started to decline."

https://www.nbcnews.com/think/opinion/iq-rates-are-dropping-many-developed-countries-doesn-t-bode-ncna1008576

• Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Talligurl said:

People no longer need to think. We have machines to do that for us, and usually a government to remove any danger from our path.

No, the article quotes the reason as the "Kardashians".  I was thinking sugar maybe.  

So if IQ scores are really dropping, that could not only mean 15 more seasons of the Kardashians,

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

No, the article quotes the reason as the "Kardashians".  I was thinking sugar maybe.  

So if IQ scores are really dropping, that could not only mean 15 more seasons of the Kardashians,

Oh gawd! 

Someone please put these beotches into cryosleep and set it to 2,000 years from now. They've done enough already.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Oh gawd! 

Someone please put these beotches into cryosleep and set it to 2,000 years from now. They've done enough already.

I've never even seen one episode of the Kardashians but their nearly taking over the cosmetic industry along with Taylor Swift was enough for me to know it's enough and enough is enough just like no is no.  No, I do not want "the Kardashian lip" every time I go to the cosmetic isle.  However, saying the reason that people in the "westernized" world are getting dumber due to the Kardashians could be sexist towards women and I think women are very smart.  Two of the smartest people I've ever known were women.  So, maybe it's due to genetically modified food and sugars?  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

However, saying the reason that people in the "westernized" world are getting dumber due to the Kardashians could be sexist towards women and I think women are very smart.

Please elaborate on how it is 'sexism towards women'. Surely, you don't think that criticizing or blaming anyone who happens to be a man is 'sexism towards men'? Or should I feel offended whenever someone points out that Gavrilo Princip's actions led to the first world war?

12 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

Two of the smartest people I've ever known were women. 

I don't refute the fact that there are intelligent women, by any means - but that's an extremely anecdotal point which certainly has no influence whatsoever on anything at all.

16 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

So, maybe it's due to genetically modified food

And maybe Earth is flat, and the pyramids were constructed by an extraterrestrial civilization that popped by that one time to stack some stones and then went on their merry way, satisfied with having slightly modified the topography of certain areas of our planet.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1262 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.