If You Thought 2020 Was Bad...

Lindal Kidd

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

9 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Please elaborate on how it is 'sexism towards women'. Surely, you don't think that criticizing or blaming anyone who happens to be a man is 'sexism towards men'? Or should I feel offended whenever someone points out that Gavrilo Princip's actions led to the first world war?

I don't refute the fact that there are intelligent women, by any means - but that's an extremely anecdotal point which certainly has no influence whatsoever on anything at all.

And maybe Earth is flat, and the pyramids were constructed by an extraterrestrial civilization that popped by that one time to stack some stones and then went on their merry way, satisfied with having slightly modified the topography of certain areas of our planet.

I was being obtuse.  The maybe should have been a giveaway I was not serious.  I just wanted to say that about sugar and genetically modified food, and rag on the Kardashians a bit.  OmyGawd, it has been such overkill with the Kardashians and cosmetics and especially "the Kardashian lip", just overkill, killed it already, and Taylor Swift too.  

45 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I've never even seen one episode of the Kardashians but their nearly taking over the cosmetic industry along with Taylor Swift was enough for me to know it's enough and enough is enough just like no is no.  No, I do not want "the Kardashian lip" every time I go to the cosmetic isle.  However, saying the reason that people in the "westernized" world are getting dumber due to the Kardashians could be sexist towards women and I think women are very smart.  Two of the smartest people I've ever known were women.  So, maybe it's due to genetically modified food and sugars?  

Watching that show year after year after year after year.

That wouldn't make anyone dumb.. Not at all..

hehehe

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Watching that show year after year after year after year.

That wouldn't make anyone dumb.. Not at all..

hehehe

It's been said for decades that people as a whole are dumber simply because of television itself and not any one particular show.  Less reading is most likely the factor if indeed people are dumber because of television itself.  But, remember there is a difference between intelligence and knowledge.  

I haven't owned a TV in six years but it was still overkill with the Kardashians with it being everywhere in the cosmetics isles and magazines.  Variety is the spice of life.  As it's a new year, I hope I find some new things to enjoy.  We could use some "good" changes.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

No, the article quotes the reason as the "Kardashians".  I was thinking sugar maybe.  

So if IQ scores are really dropping, that could not only mean 15 more seasons of the Kardashians,

The article is not saying that the reason is "the Kardashians".  It is saying that more seasons of the Kardashians is possibly one of the outcomes of a dumber society.

In fact, the article said, in the very next paragraph:  "As yet, the United States hasn’t hit this IQ wall" -- which would give more indication that the Kardashians are not the "cause".

The article does not actually give reasons, but says that we do need to figure it out:
"If we want to prevent America from suffering this fate, we’d better figure out why IQs are dropping elsewhere. But it’s uncharted territory."

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FairreLilette said:

However, saying the reason that people in the "westernized" world are getting dumber due to the Kardashians could be sexist towards women and I think women are very smart. 

Saying anyone is getting dumber because of the Kardashians is a diss against the Kardashians, not against anyone else ---- well maybe also against the folks that watch the Kardashians, but that would be both men and women.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

The article is not saying that the reason is "the Kardashians".  It is saying that more seasons of the Kardashians is possibly one of the outcomes of a dumber society.

In fact, the article said, in the very next paragraph:  "As yet, the United States hasn’t hit this IQ wall" -- which would give more indication that the Kardashians are not the "cause".

The article does not actually give reasons, but says that we do need to figure it out:
"If we want to prevent America from suffering this fate, we’d better figure out why IQs are dropping elsewhere. But it’s uncharted territory."

I know.  I already answered above and said I was being obtuse.  I should have said I was being intentionally obtuse.  

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

It's been said for decades that people as a whole are dumber simply because of television itself and not any one particular show.  Less reading is most likely the factor if indeed people are dumber because of television itself.  But, remember there is a difference between intelligence and knowledge.  

I haven't owned a TV in six years but it was still overkill with the Kardashians with it being everywhere in the cosmetics isles and magazines.  Variety is the spice of life.  As it's a new year, I hope I find some new things to enjoy.  We could use some "good" changes.  

Honestly, I think Phones have sped up what took tv's decades to achieve.

Rather than growing potatoes, we now have roaming zombies.. hehehe

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Honestly, I think Phones have sped up what took tv's decades to achieve.

Rather than growing potatoes, we now have roaming zombies.. hehehe

Hmmmmm.   My friends and family seem pretty okay to me...lol.  No further comment.   (just kidding)  

But, anyhow...intelligence is an interesting debate and why it would be declining.  I threw out there genetically modified food and sugars as food as the reason but I have not studied it nor do I have anything factual that is why I was being deliberately obtuse.   But, gmo's and sugars, food for thought there, eh?  Does a Ceka style...  hehehe  (too)

Edited by FairreLilette

22 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

I'm pretty sure my IQ has gone down from when I was 18.  I know a lot more, but I can't do as much with it.

Maybe my filing system's corrupted.

As for the Kardashian Lip...I'm more a fan of Nunya, and HER lip.

il_340x270.858434838_bjej.jpg&f=1&nofb=1

I like Josie Maran's Color Stick.  Very natural and stays too.  Josie Maran is one of the prettiest women I've ever seen and she says it's all due to Argon Oil.  She has great products.  

Oh dear.  Some of you grabbed that and ran with it.  I wasn't referring to intelligence levels.  I was referring to the tendency to make bad decisions after being exposed to some influence via an electronic communications medium.  People doing stupid things is apparently contagious.  For example, watch a video on YouTube depicting some ridiculous activity then go out an try that activity yourself, for whatever reason.  Please don't.  For some, overdosing on YouTube video can impair judgement as much as any chemical substance can.  I know this doesn't make it a disease but some members of "the medical community" are pushing for acceptance.

3 hours ago, Ardy Lay said:

Oh dear.  Some of you grabbed that and ran with it.  I wasn't referring to intelligence levels.  I was referring to the tendency to make bad decisions after being exposed to some influence via an electronic communications medium.  People doing stupid things is apparently contagious.  For example, watch a video on YouTube depicting some ridiculous activity then go out an try that activity yourself, for whatever reason.  Please don't.  For some, overdosing on YouTube video can impair judgement as much as any chemical substance can.  I know this doesn't make it a disease but some members of "the medical community" are pushing for acceptance.

I remember a couple of years ago seeing news about a Tik-Tok craze where people were filming and posting a friend falling out of a moving car.  These were people old enough to have driver licenses.  It was on the news to remind people it's not safe to intentionally fall out of even a slow moving car.

2 minutes ago, MoiraKathleen said:

I remember a couple of years ago seeing news about a Tik-Tok craze where people were filming and posting a friend falling out of a moving car.  These were people old enough to have driver licenses.  It was on the news to remind people it's not safe to intentionally fall out of even a slow moving car.

The Tide Pod challenge, the Salt and Ice, the Kylie Jenner lip challenge....seems there is no end to people's stupidity.  Why?  To see themselves on YouTube, the road to the downfall of the civilized world and now TikTok.  Lordy

• Like 5

On 1/20/2021 at 7:18 PM, LittleMe Jewell said:

My guess is children.

Smart people tend to be smart enough to have none, or fewer children. Less smart people tend to have lots of them.

If intelligence (as opposed to knowledge/education) is hereditary, it's hardly surprising that it's dropping over time. Stupid people are literally out-breeding smart people.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Karly Kiyori said:

My guess is children.

Smart people tend to be smart enough to have none, or fewer children. Less smart people tend to have lots of them.

If intelligence (as opposed to knowledge/education) is hereditary, it's hardly surprising that it's dropping over time. Stupid people are literally out-breeding smart people.

This reminded me of something hehehe

• Haha 1

On 1/22/2021 at 10:12 AM, Karly Kiyori said:

My guess is children.

This is one reason I had more than my statisically-mandated share of children.

It didn't work.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1187 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.