any way to remove "wear" from options?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hey, I use firestorm and really want to remove the "wear" option. I already have add, and use it. Every time I turn around, if I accidentally click wear when unpacking an object, whether clothes or otherwise, it always knocks my head off. I am really tired of going in and re adding head, eyes, jaw, etc.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

18 minutes ago, malcolmmerlyn1 said:

Hey, I use firestorm and really want to remove the "wear" option. I already have add, and use it. Every time I turn around, if I accidentally click wear when unpacking an object, whether clothes or otherwise, it always knocks my head off. I am really tired of going in and re adding head, eyes, jaw, etc.

Sorry, no can do -- unless you'd like to write your own viewer.  

• Like 1

You can look to see where the things you are wearing are attached (you can see this on the "worn" tab in inventory).  The default attachment point is the right hand, so if you have other items that you wear all the time that attach to the right hand, take them off and use the "attach to" option to re-attach it (the "attach to" brings up a list of attachment points for you to choose from).  Items remember where they were last attached to, so subsequent adds should use the attachment point you selected with "attach to". Then, if nothing you are wearing is attached to the right hand, there is less chance of an accidental "wear" knocking off anything you're currently wearing. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

If you could it might cause more problems, you have to use wear for the first of each system layer, I think.

Just had a quick look - no, you can add the first system layer rather than wearing it.

2 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Does add work with shapes or skins?

No, things that you can only wear one of (and always have to wear one of - skins, shapes, system eyes, system hair) doesn't have any add option. 

I wish you could at least change the default double-click action from being 'wear' to 'add' so that if you accidentally double-click something in your inventory, you can just take it off again without having to run off to put your head back on (although to be fair I probably shouldn't wear my head on my right hand - but even when* I do get around to fix that, it'll be my trousers or shirt instead).

*Soon™

I also wish creators would put it into their in-world routine to change the attachment point of their stuff before boxing and shipping their stuff ... But that's not happening.

... Come to think of it, the last time I did double-click an object in my inventory it was my beard that got knocked off - I now have it attached to my jaw instead. Woo, progress! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

You can probably edit the XML file for the menu to change it, but I don’t know if you can remove it. If you could it might cause more problems, you have to use wear for the first of each system layer, I think. Does add work with shapes or skins?

The XML file you (probably, depending on viewer skin and language) want to edit is:

[viewer install folder]\skins\default\xui\en\menu_inventory.xml

In there, you will find a section like this, for me it begins on line 885:

<menu_item_call
     label="Wear"
     layout="topleft"
     name="Wearable And Object Wear">
        <menu_item_call.on_click
         function="Inventory.DoToSelected"
         parameter="wear" />
    </menu_item_call>

Delete it, restart the viewer, and voilà, it's gone.

You can still wear skins (and other non-addable things) by double-clicking them. You can still also use the Wear and Replace options in the Appearance window (where your outfits are saved).

Disclaimer: I know nothing about how the viewer handles XML files. If something blows up, you did it to yourself and I won't help you. Make backups and prepare to reinstall your viewer.

That said, I think this is completely safe (as long as you don't break the XML format) since these are Viewer Skin files we're editing. They are designed with changes in mind.

14eef52b5d.png 1272b9152e.png

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4

20 minutes ago, xoClarisse said:

Hello, Wulfie Reanimator is there a way to replace wear from double clicking to add instead ? It would definitely make my life easier.. I am on Firestorm.

Thank you !

Double click does add objects rather than wear them. That is the default behavior. That's how I've worn everything for years.

Edited by Wulfie Reanimator
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, steeljane42 said:

Not sure it's a default behavior, but clicking on the cogwheel in the inventory's bottom left corner has an option to enable double click add for objects and layers.

AHA! I knew I'd seen that option -somewhere-, but I was staring myself blind at the Preference menus without finding it. Thanks!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I am bumping this issue right now. I'm sick and tired of wearing my entire inventory. Get rid of WEAR ITEMS in the menu! Lagging out an entire sim because I accidentally clicked this stupid menu item is sooooo ridiculous. Can't we at least have a debug to remove this useless feature? I only use add items. Fix this please LL. There was one alternative viewer that had this removed for a short while. I miss it being gone. This should be addressed from top down Linden Lab. Thank you.

Edited by Paula Alderson
Edited with hope that LL will see this
  • Haha 3

I think in the debug settings you can set these to true (at least in firestorm)

FSDoubleClickAddInventoryClothing: Whether or not to add clothes instead of wearing them

FSDoubleClickAddInventoryObjects: Whether or not to add objects instead of wearing them

I don't use them myself, so I haven't checked to see how well it works.  I imagine the option to wear will still be available when you right click on them.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Istelathis said:

I think in the debug settings you can set these to true (at least in firestorm)

FSDoubleClickAddInventoryClothing: Whether or not to add clothes instead of wearing them

FSDoubleClickAddInventoryObjects: Whether or not to add objects instead of wearing them

I don't use them myself, so I haven't checked to see how well it works.  I imagine the option to wear will still be available when you right click on them.

You don't even have to go into the Debug Settings.  Those settings are available either in Preferences or via the Gear on the Inventory window -- can't remember which right now.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Silent Mistwalker said:

If LL were to remove Wear, clothing creators would not be able to attach new things to set the point. If you don't want creators putting out new clothing, then ok.

Wouldn't "Add" still work as long as the user doesn't change attach points later, which would then cause "Wear" or "Add" to attach to that new attach point thereafter.

The biggest problem I think with "Wear" is its autoreplacement of anything also attached to the same attach point.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

The biggest problem I think with "Wear" is its autoreplacement of anything also attached to the same attach point.

This ^^ combined with some creators leaving their rigged items at the default 'right hand' attach point.  That is probably the biggest issue for newbies.

Even if every creator properly set the attach point, there are still times where people will add multiple items to a single point (especially for the non-humanoid avatars), so 'wear' still causes issues there.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Lucia Nightfire said:

Wouldn't "Add" still work as long as the user doesn't change attach points later, which would then cause "Wear" or "Add" to attach to that new attach point thereafter.

The initial attaching has to be done by the creator in order to set the attachment point. Since clothing is mostly no mod how are you, the customer, going to change the attachment point? Think about the process you have to go through. That is the same process the creator has to use to set the attachment point.

And if LL changed Wear to Replace (like it once was many years ago as I recall) people would gripe and want it change back to Wear.

Come to think about it, if creators were to stop setting attachment points people would gripe about that, too.

Edited by Silent Mistwalker
  • Haha 3
  • Confused 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 801 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.