Realistic avatars

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have noticed some store creators use 3D type models in their clothing ads.  I am not sure if im allowed to mention any of the ones I have seen..But if so two I can think of are LSR and Scandalize.  Even Ricielli has very realistic models in their ads.  Does anyone know if its just an external program they use like photoshop or are those avatar skins real.  If anyone knows please let me know.

Edited by Annabella Atheria

1 hour ago, Annabella Atheria said:

I have noticed some store creators use 3D type models in their clothing ads.  I am not sure if im allowed to mention any of the ones I have seen..But if so two I can think of are LSR and Scandalize.  Even Ricielli has very realistic models in their ads.  Does anyone know if its just an external program they use like photoshop or are those avatar skins real.  If anyone knows please let me know.

usually its been photoshopped to make it look more realistic to try and entice you to buy it. It normally wont look that good on a normal pc. It would require running on ultra to even come close to the looks in the add.

Those pictures are never straight from SL. They use external 3D rendering programs and pour some photoshop over it. I always take a demo first, before I buy anything from stores with this type of "enhanced" vendor pictures and highly recommend doing the same.

A lot of creators are using Daz Poser for product shots now, because it's considered a high quality ad. The item probably won't look that good in second life because what you're looking at is a render with much better lighting and probably higher resolution like 4k and possibly maps that you can't use in SL, such as Displacement maps, etc. It would definitely be beneficial to demo the item before you buy it, item probably looks like that but the models and skins wouldn't look like that in Second Life. Here's a really old article about it, creators have been doing this for a while now: https://nwn.blogs.com/nwn/2014/01/snapshots-versus-renders.html

• Like 3

If it's a fashion item and it doesn't look like it's from SL it's a render. If it's a skin or a cosmetic item that looks to real for SL it's a morph putting the odd SL element on to an RL face/body i'd much rather see what skins or cosmetics looks like in SL than on a poorly photoshopped morph 

• Like 3

I think it's a trendy thing to do (just like those chromatic aberration filters that just won't die off), to show the item in an ad made with a 3D rendering program, rather than from an in-world screenshot.

It's also quite misleading, because it often shows physical properties of the product, like reflections, refraction of light through semi-transparent objects, sub-surface scattering, softer appearance though volumetric lighting, all of which do not exist in SL at all.

The counter-'argument' usually is: yeah, so what's new? Isn't all advertising misleading?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On a side note, differing a bit from the OP.  A lot of skin photos are taken in a SL lighting called Annon Adored Optimal Skin No Shadow or Nam's Prim and Skin I believe is another.  There is also another lighting called Cal something.  The problem here is the buyer though not the seller because they do not know how to work the SL Environment Editor or don't read the notecards that come along with items, and since they don't know where these SL lightings are, they leave a bad review for the skin...saying such as "doesn't look like the photo".  Well, it's not going to look like the photo if you don't read the notecard and learn how to turn on the lights provided by SL to view skin properly.  So, I'm not talking over-enhanced photos, I'm just speaking about good photos but shot with the correct SL lighting that many users don't know about.  I'm guessing the biggest reason for that is users are not reading the notecards.  So, some creator's are now saying at the bottom of their MP page, must be viewed with Nam's Skin and Prim for example to view skin properly, which is a lighting provided by SL.  Many users aren't reading notecards...so it's not a seller problem, it's a user problem A LOT of the time, and I mean A LOT.  

Edited by FairreLilette
  • Like 1

I'm not a fan of those adverts, to me it doesn't make much sense to show off what a product looks like when rendered in a different program than the one the customers will be using it. Most of the time it's not a huge deal, as long as they provide a proper demo. It feels weird to raise one's customers' expectations though, and then they'll try a demo - many without even having ALM on - and it looks completely flat in comparison. Or perhaps worse yet, you try the demo on, with ALM on, and quickly realize that the materials are way off for SL, and that since clothes rarely are modifiable these days, you got no way to fix it yourself.

It's not necessarily a sign of a 'bad' creator though, some of my favourite creators do use these adverts, and whilst their products obviously won't look quite like that in-world, they'll still be at the top of the line. At which point it only strikes me as even more curious that they wouldn't just show how good their stuff actually looks.

• Like 1

I am negative, because I think SL avatars are good enough. If SL is not good enough for these stores, what does that say about how they view SL?

I still buy from them, if I like it, and if it looks as good as it can be in SL when I try it on.

Things like windlight and poses are possible to do as good as the seller in SL. In RL, I see an ad with a supermodel for H&M, I go there and buy that dress and think it will look the same on me.... ? I think not! 😆

12 minutes ago, Orwar said:

I'm not a fan of those adverts, to me it doesn't make much sense to show off what a product looks like when rendered in a different program than the one the customers will be using it. Most of the time it's not a huge deal, as long as they provide a proper demo. It feels weird to raise one's customers' expectations though, and then they'll try a demo - many without even having ALM on - and it looks completely flat in comparison. Or perhaps worse yet, you try the demo on, with ALM on, and quickly realize that the materials are way off for SL, and that since clothes rarely are modifiable these days, you got no way to fix it yourself.

It's not necessarily a sign of a 'bad' creator though, some of my favourite creators do use these adverts, and whilst their products obviously won't look quite like that in-world, they'll still be at the top of the line. At which point it only strikes me as even more curious that they wouldn't just show how good their stuff actually looks.

its called misleading advertising to draw in the foolish and stupid, those what will believe what they see is what they get and wont waste time trying on a demo to make sure first.

Its a common tactic even with well known advertisers. 

gota catch em all.. aka get as many sales as possible by any means possible.

This is nothing new nor unique to SL. I have a friend in RL who is shorter than usual but worked for years with others similar as models for yachts. Because they are small, the photos of people clustered on the yacht  show more headroom and more space than would be the case if you got normal (oops, did I just call my friend abnormal) models for the photo-shoots.

• Haha 2

On 11/30/2020 at 7:08 AM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

I think it's a trendy thing to do (just like those chromatic aberration filters that just won't die off), to show the item in an ad made with a 3D rendering program, rather than from an in-world screenshot.

It's also quite misleading, because it often shows physical properties of the product, like reflections, refraction of light through semi-transparent objects, sub-surface scattering, softer appearance though volumetric lighting, all of which do not exist in SL at all.

The counter-'argument' usually is: yeah, so what's new? Isn't all advertising misleading?

Hi, you sound knowledgeable, since you know the correct terminology for the outlining with, "chromatic aberration filters". What is the purpose of it for SL ads?

2 hours ago, Kytteh Wytchwood said:

What is the purpose of [chromatic aberration filters] for SL ads?

Hi, thanks for asking. The answer is two-fold:

1. Because a lot of marketeers with an affinity for Asian culture--in particular the Kawaii style--do it, so it's kind of an identity thing that has been around for many years now. If it were just a filter-du-jour, it would have gone out of fashion after a year or two, but this has stuck, so I think it's legit to call it a style.

2. Because it potentially hides little blemishes and flaws by blurring the image.

But I'm just making this up. I never really asked anyone who uses it.

On 11/30/2020 at 2:08 PM, Arduenn Schwartzman said:

just like those chromatic aberration filters that just won't die off

I've been looking for that term! I keep calling it anaglyphic 3D because they make me think of these ..

new_red_cyan_1024x1024_1_280x@2x.png?v=1

On 11/28/2020 at 1:11 PM, Annabella Atheria said:

Artistic interpretation , rarely does any photo anyone uses in sl not have some sort of photoshop (or gimp) filters or enhancements.

They are merely showing what is possible in the photo. They are not trying to misguide you (except in the case of skins.. that that is fishy)

I do not know what ricielli is...

Blueberry does this as well, actually I have a hunch that blueberry, LSR and scandalize are all the same... or the same person does their photos lol I have no proof but they are all very, very similar...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1241 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.