Fear of Clowns

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:38 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Do you have a fear of clowns?

No, no fear but I do have a dislike of clown paintings.  I told the story on the forums here where my Mom said to me one day "I don't understand art!"  And, I also explained that she was right, she didn't.  The only three pieces of art my mother ever had in all her homes were a painting of a clown, an orange and black painting of the Golden Gate Bridge and a badly painted yellow and green ceramic flower.  My sisters and I have a great love of art but I believe we got it all from my Dad.  I really hated that painting of a clown as a kid because it was very passionless and seemed purposeless as well.  The Golden Bridge one she had was just as passionless.

I do have to say quite honestly that @Orwar his photographs are very good.  His have a bit of a sinister edge to them and/or are kind of "edgy".  My Mom's painting of that clown was purposeless and had no emotion or anything.

But, mostly in real life, I would avoid clowns because I don't like the circus.  I had heard they are planning to close the circus in California for most animals except a very few as they have been deemed inhumane.  I never like the circus anyways.  I did not go to the circus with my step-daughter.  I let my husband at the time and his daughter go.  She liked it okay...she never raved about it, however.  

Edited by FairreLilette

4 hours ago, Ceka Cianci said:

Well then, Yea I guess I have.. just not the painted up kind is all..

Haaaaave you met Neph?

Haiii.png

She is apparently feeling a little bit bored as she never gets to really meet any people. Oi, @Jordan Whitt, you up for a play date with Neph? ^_^

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Orwar said:

Haaaaave you met Neph?

Haiii.png

She is apparently feeling a little bit bored as she never gets to really meet any people. Oi, @Jordan Whitt, you up for a play date with Neph? ^_^

You know as I was thinking about your photographs, Orwar, which are very good, btw, I was wondering if those were more mime based as opposed to clowns?

I've always like mimes and I do love making photographs that are almost Silent Film Era with some emotion in the face also, but when I think of clowns I think of the Americanized version with the pointy tall hat, the ruffle around the neck and the polka dot suit.

Mimes I like a lot.  We have both at outdoor venues in the greater Los Angeles area and beaches.  But, clowns usually just give a balloon while mimes act out a bit of a show.  

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I was wondering if those were more mime based as opposed to clowns?

Mimes are a subspecies of the clown family. Specifically, mimes are clowns that only communicate through gestures, whereas other clowns usually talk or communicate entirely through slapstick. There's a fair amount of intermingling between the two, but the white face paint and the painted on expressions originate in European 18thC clowns.

11 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

but when I think of clowns I think of the Americanized version with the pointy tall hat, the ruffle around the neck and the polka dot suit.

What you're describing sounds like a French style of clowns, that is pretty popular in other parts of Europe as well - the poster clown for Sweden's most popular circus that was founded in 1899 has a clown in this style as well. 

french-painter-henri-de-toulouse-lautrec

Photograph of the French painter Henri Marie Raymond de Tolouse-Lautrec-Monfa (*gasps for a breath of air*), dressed up as a traditional French clown - but without makeup.

The most popular type of clown in the US is supposedly the 'Hobo Clown', a type of sad clown usually with torn clothes and a bowler hat (sometimes other hats, such as the one in the picture).

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTjze49Kz-NQEkA8iEqtXa

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Orwar said:

Mimes are a subspecies of the clown family. Specifically, mimes are clowns that only communicate through gestures, whereas other clowns usually talk or communicate entirely through slapstick. There's a fair amount of intermingling between the two, but the white face paint and the painted on expressions originate in European 18thC clowns.

I've always liked Mime's and I love Silent Films plus the make-up from the Silent Film Era.  Actually, in these two photos I'm going to show, these make-ups are my first make-ups I've ever made in SL.  I didn't know where to go with them as far as a selling point or an artistic point for myself but I was thinking Fairy Doll at first...now I'm not so sure.   Your photos have inspired me to at least try to do something with these eye make-ups because I like them but I had shelved them as I wasn't sure in what direction to go with them.   Also, I wasn't sure if these were like Medieval Festival face paintings or what?  So, I had just shelved the whole thing.  Maybe I should add white face...?

Snapshot_007 (2).jpg

Snapshot_227 (2).jpg

Does anyone remember that 'creepy clown' trend a few years ago (I think mostly in America) when suddenly they were appearing everywhere at night, and by the side of the road and running up to cars? That was bonkers...and then people formed mobs to go after them, and some kid dressed as a clown got stabbed :S

What better clown then Joker from batman?

Joker isn't insane. He's actually very smart, very understanding, and very very rational. He'll let you assume otherwise.

It's for this reason that he's also very very dangerous.

He also wants Batman to genially be happy. Not the fake laughing gas kind. But he really does want Batman to be happy. And he'll never give up on you. Never stop in the struggle of understanding each other.

He'll also destroy your life if you let him. But he'll love you if you challenge him.

Joker dies.

Even Batman has no choice to admit they're all monsters in the end. He says it to superman when he's older and wiser. This also means Joker was right when he said they're not so different. Batman didn't want to hear it at the time. Too close minded.

And now? Now Joker isn't even there. To be able to go "I understand now". Would that have given him a reason to stop his slaughter? "What if... What if..." Maybe Batman feels like he failed Joker. I don't think even Joker would laugh at that.

... Also known as any relationship with struggles and hard times. Appreciate what you have now. As strange and hostile as it may seem. Or risk never being able to face each other when you can. When you still could have.

If that doesn't scare you... It should.

On 11/16/2020 at 3:38 PM, Gopi Passiflora said:

Do you have a fear of clowns?

What reasons do you think people have a fear of clowns?

(Second Life specific): How would you react to a clown character in Second Life?

I don't fear clowns. I'm very repulsed by them though.

I think some fear them because humans fear what they don't know or understand. When something is hidden like a face behind a mask, it is invisible from our eyes so I feel the mind perhaps feels fear from this. I'm certainly not an expert so have no idea.

I stay away from clowns in both worlds for my own reasons. I would most likely teleport out if I encountered a clown character in Second Life or move far away from them.

I've always assumed this was a made up fear for TV shows so they could have a phobia to give characters without insulting any real world demographics. Though I suppose there are real people who have this - I also suspect they didn't exist until some TV show triggered the notion that it was something one could fear in them, and existing stress/anxiety found a target.

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

13 minutes ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

I've always assumed this was a made up fear for TV shows so they could have a phobia to give characters without insulting any real world demographics. Though I suppose there are real people who have this - I also suspect they didn't exist until some TV show triggered the notion that it was something one could fear in them, and existing stress/anxiety found a target.

John Wayne Gacy was a clown..and a serial killer.  His first known murder was in 1972.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Wayne_Gacy

8 hours ago, ZenCho Balhaus said:

Clowns scare me..I blame Tim Curry as Pennywise in It.

You found him scary? Even the completely crap stop-motion animation bit? The Nostalgia Critic said his performance was like he'd gone on set, got drunk, didn't realise he was being filmed and wouldn't go home. ("Uh, Tim? You're done for the day. Could you please piss off?...We have a movie to film here and you're really not helping...Please leave?... Ok, we'll just shoot around you.")

ETA: In fact, here you go. It's not short, but it's very very funny and if you did find the film scary, this will cure you. You could skip to 18:30, although you should watch the whole thing. "Were people really scared of this guy? He's hilarious! I don't think this scene is even supposed to be this long. I think he just decided to stay on set and annoy everyone."

Edited by Amina Sopwith

1 hour ago, Amina Sopwith said:

You found him scary?

It's been an ongoing debate ever since the trailers of the remake was out, who'd be the better Pennywise. It's almost like the Edward vs. Jacob thing of the Twilight fans, with people acting as if their opinion is biblical canon and any argument to the contrary is heresy. 

My first Tim Curry experience was Frank 'N Further from RHPS, I'd seen it more than a few times before I came around to see It, and was a huge fan of him as an actor and singer by then. I love what he did with the role in spite of the very limited budget and technological resources at the time. The new films I haven't even watched, but I have seen a fair amount of clips from it, and I find the CGI-fest about as appealing as a carton of crayons that some other kid just, methodically, circulated through their nostrils. That's not to say that Skarsgård's portrayal is 'bad', from what I can tell he did a good job of it, but Curry did leave some very large shoes to fill.

... ... And not only because they're clown shoes...! 

On 11/17/2020 at 6:45 AM, Love Zhaoying said:

This picture hung in my childhood bedroom. If I didn't have an "innate" reason to fear clowns, this gave me a reason. (Sorry about the flash.)

image.jpg

This. OMG this so much. I had two clown pics in my bedroom that hung over my bed in the mid 1960s. Creepy ass pics. And they scarred me for life. Clowns terrify me.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1305 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.