Next theme teaser (after the stilts!)

Claire Atheria
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

13 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Hand them over....

@Milk Pixelmaid If this had been my favourite quiz show, Only Connect, then an answer that fitted all the clues would have been accepted, even if it wasn't what the question creators had in mind.
I think Patch has suffered from earlier themes being too easy to guess and has now overshot in the opposite direction.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Patch Linden said:

Hand them over....

Wow!  When Cee looked at the teaser and came up with the Pipe Organ park, and then he spotted the boy's costume as Native American, I really thought it HAD to be southwestern!  The more we looked, the more the pieces of the pic made sense.  I suppose it's possible that my choice of style was too specific, and it's some other Southwest style?

It's really an amazing set of visual coincidences if it turns out to be Dutch or something! 

But hey, I'm so happy today that nothing can rain on my parade.  If the new theme turns out to be neon mushrooms, I'm like HOORAY, WHATEVER!

The Expo runs Dec. 4th - 13th.   Cee & I may be wrong about the teaser, but I'm pretty sure we'll find out for sure then!

Edited by Nika Talaj
  • Like 4

14 hours ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

@Milk Pixelmaid If this had been my favourite quiz show, Only Connect, then an answer that fitted all the clues would have been accepted, even if it wasn't what the question creators had in mind.
I think Patch has suffered from earlier themes being too easy to guess and has now overshot in the opposite direction.

A maddening programme. I do well with University Challenge, but Only Connect flummoxes me often.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Nika Talaj said:

Wow!  When Cee looked at the teaser and came up with the Pipe Organ park, and then he spotted the boy's costume as Native American, I really thought it HAD to be southwestern!  The more we looked, the more the pieces of the pic made sense.  I suppose it's possible that my choice of style was too specific, and it's some other Southwest style?

It's really an amazing set of visual coincidences if it turns out to be Dutch or something! 

But hey, I'm so happy today that nothing can rain on my parade.  If the new theme turns out to be neon mushrooms, I'm like HOORAY, WHATEVER!

The Expo runs Dec. 4th - 13th.   Cee & I may be wrong about the teaser, but I'm pretty sure we'll find out for sure then!

Your solution did sound convincing, and also Quite Interesting (another uk quiz show ) 
I did have a niggle that it might be a bit too interesting, as in not quite fitting in with the current design philosophy, in that it would be a lot of extra work to create a convincing desert landscape, and hard to recycle existing elements.

My model for Patch's photo shoots are this.

He has ten minutes or less to do it, he uses whatever props he has available in the inventory of the alt that he's using, in this case Spookypatch Halloween (made up name). The props have not, so far, been relevant to the solution.

My next thought is that the pipe organ is simply a large object which fills the space.

It is probably wishful thinking, but I did hope there might be a window behind it, which would indicate a smaller dwelling place.

Edited by Raspberry Crystal
clarity
  • Like 4

On 10/31/2020 at 2:11 AM, Marianne Little said:

The costumes are because of Halloween, I doubt they have anything to do with the theme.

I still wait for modern houses with big windows, so... moderately exited.

I wait for the modern houses as well, but the stilts will entertain me in the meantime :)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Frigga Freidman said:

A washer and dryer on an upper floor? Ha! (Too many leaks, too many creaking floorboards, and you'd never get someone to hump it up the stairs in my part of the world. Sometimes it's just too difficult to suspend one's disbelief ;) )

My last house actually had the laundry room upstairs with the bedrooms.  It worked pretty well, since the vast majority of laundry came from upstairs and needed to be returned to upstairs.  We never had a single leak, but it isn't as convenient for multi-tasking laundry with tending to kitchen tasks.

My current house has it on the main floor, just off the kitchen, which I actually prefer.  It makes it easier to do laundry while doing other things.  

I will never again have a house that has the laundry in the basement, which is where all of them were when I was growing up.  What a total PITA that is.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My last house actually had the laundry room upstairs with the bedrooms.  It worked pretty well, since the vast majority of laundry came from upstairs and needed to be returned to upstairs.  We never had a single leak, but it isn't as convenient for multi-tasking laundry with tending to kitchen tasks.

My current house has it on the main floor, just off the kitchen, which I actually prefer.  It makes it easier to do laundry while doing other things.  

I will never again have a house that has the laundry in the basement, which is where all of them were when I was growing up.  What a total PITA that is.

When at all possible I like to line dry laundry  in the garden (it's cheaper and more eco friendly), so basements or upstairs machines would feel quite inconvenient for that! Not so easy if you don't have outdoor space of course.

I guess patch is going to need to throw an extra clue in here, as we've wandered off into other topics :)

Before that happens I'm going to guess **Colonial style** referring back to @Matthieu Quander's remark about grown men crying about the door knocker.

• Like 2

Patch just gave another hint in Belli chat, which some have guessed in this thread already :)

[12:19] Patch Linden: It is not an american-inspired theme... and there's your only clue for the day.

Also:

[12:36] Patch Linden: We will never do townhouses or apartments, so that can safely be crossed of the lists :D
[12:36] Patch Linden: Yep, they are fun themes to entertain, but yeah very challenging to enforce for

Edited by Claire Atheria
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 5

26 minutes ago, Claire Atheria said:

Patch just gave another hint in Belli chat, which some have guessed in this thread already :)

[12:19] Patch Linden: It is not an american-inspired theme... and there's your only clue for the day.

Also:

[12:36] Patch Linden: We will never do townhouses or apartments, so that can safely be crossed of the lists :D
[12:36] Patch Linden: Yep, they are fun themes to entertain, but yeah very challenging to enforce for

Yeah, Abnor had basically said the same thing sometime last year.  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Raspberry Crystal said:

Not american, any fellow internationals recognise a local style? The external wall finish could be English cottage, but the brown natural coloured timber window frames don't feel right, cottage windows would be painted.

I cannot identify the style, so either it is not a Mediterranean home, or the picture is too small... I hope it is the second option, I would love to virtually live in Ibiza...

Edited by Elena Core
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I would love a pueblo revival adobe-like style, but as tempting the interpretation of the husband sounds........I have my doubts. The door is very untypical to that style.
The very first idea I had when looking at the hint pic was "sort of a farm house theme", but I also discarded that idea rather quickly.

And @Raspberry Crystal - as a European fellow I do not recognize any style I am familiar with, but since I am not familiar with all existing styles that might not be very helpful :)
It might be somehow mediterranean, but even in the mediterranean areas there are lots of different styles. 
The only thing the organ pipes reminds me of is the house of the Addams Family, lol. But the picture has not relation to this gregorian style houses we see in the movie. And churches and cathedrals for sure but I really don't think we will get a region full of churches to live in, haha. On the other hand..the Pope's residence is in Italy - which leads us back to mediterranean houses. 

So I guess they will be Italian or Spanish, something like that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/9/2020 at 5:15 AM, Frigga Freidman said:

A washer and dryer on an upper floor? Ha! (Too many leaks, too many creaking floorboards, and you'd never get someone to hump it up the stairs in my part of the world. Sometimes it's just too difficult to suspend one's disbelief ;) )

You would be suprised... since I have moved out from home, I always lived in small apartments 3&4. floor) The only place I can put my washing machine is the kitchen. 🙃

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Syo Emerald said:

You would be suprised... since I have moved out from home, I always lived in small apartments 3&4. floor) The only place I can put my washing machine is the kitchen. 🙃

Ah, but did your building have an elevator to get it up there? (And, being in a small British semi-detached, our washer/dryer - capacity 1 pair of jeans, 2 shirts and some underwear - is in the kitchen. Our fridge used to be even smaller, though now we have one that's maybe 40% the size of an average "American-style" fridge/freezer.)

1 minute ago, Frigga Freidman said:

Ah, but did your building have an elevator to get it up there? (And, being in a small British semi-detached, our washer/dryer - capacity 1 pair of jeans, 2 shirts and some underwear - is in the kitchen. Our fridge used to be even smaller, though now we have one that's maybe 40% the size of an average "American-style" fridge/freezer.)

No elevator. First house was from 1900 and the current one was build in the 50s.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1124 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.