Voice chat?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

11 hours ago, Keitaro Kuramoto said:

i have noticed that not many people (very few in fact), use voice to communicate.

You're right.  It's been a long time since I ran into anyone using voice.  They are either using typed chat like me and all of my friends, or they are using IMs or Discord chat.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Keitaro Kuramoto said:

It's been a very long time since I've been in SL, but i have noticed that not many people (very few in fact), use voice to communicate.

I actually quite enjoy chatting with people but I'm finding it to be a real struggle to find places where people also enjoy voice. Any ideas/suggestions?

Try Voice Sex lounge, of course you might hear a fake orgasm once in a while but its mostly just normal chat, quiz games and stuff like that if it hasn't changed these days, also if you are in the mood for skill games at Thirsty Camel they talk all day long and at Virsino as well (but less).

I know a few others but they are not in English.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Forums Keitaro Kuramoto🥰

to get a better idea of the type of people you like to talk to would help more but my advice is London Sims, The Shelter, Safe Hubs, Bloodlines, Many Latin places, Builders Brewery, Firestorm, Many Adult public Sandbox's , Furry Places.  many yard sales and gotcha places you will find chatters. my favorite places are the Vampyr Empire every days at 6pm and driving around the mainlands you can find crowds of interesting people you would never find in search.

• Like 1

On 10/20/2020 at 10:11 AM, Keitaro Kuramoto said:

It's been a very long time since I've been in SL, but i have noticed that not many people (very few in fact), use voice to communicate.

I actually quite enjoy chatting with people but I'm finding it to be a real struggle to find places where people also enjoy voice. Any ideas/suggestions?

Its because not a lot of people like to actually voice or get nervous. A lot of people prefer text where you dont have to worry how someone might think about how you might sound on voice.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Keitaro Kuramoto said:

Thank you all for the replies, it means a lot!

I did read some other posts on the forums here, and did notice that many people simply prefer to type rather than talk; which is fine. But i just happen to be the opposite 😅

For me I just find text is more immersive and that people on voice are often not really paying attention to what is going on inworld but I suppose judging by the youtube video I just watched, it isn't the case for everyone.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For me I just find text is more immersive and that people on voice are often not really paying attention to what is going on inworld

Same here, but for me the big advantage is that conversation in typed chat is slower and less filled with "er...um... uh", so it's easier to follow.  Also,  I can scroll back and read anything I might have missed (or misunderstood).  I can step away from the keyboard for a minute for ... um..important stuff ... without missing whatever was said while I was gone.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

Same here, but for me the big advantage is that conversation in typed chat is slower and less filled with "er...um... uh", so it's easier to follow.  Also,  I can scroll back and read anything I might have missed (or misunderstood).  I can step away from the keyboard for a minute for ... um..important stuff ... without missing whatever was said while I was gone.

Good points about the history as I take advantage of that ability to go afk for a few minutes for some people who i know type slowly.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Rolig Loon said:

It's also great, I suppose for people who have issues with the written word.  My son, for instance, has been advanced verbally since he was very young.  However, once he started school, writing was very difficult for him.  He could explain anything asked of him but for him to put those same thoughts on paper, there was a disconnect.  His oral test scores were extremely high but anything written, you'd have thought he didn't know a thing.  

On the other hand, I think it's also just easier for people to multi-task if they're using voice.  When I'm chatting textually with someone in SL, my focus is on them and what they have to say.  Then I wait, several minutes at times, for a response.  I might say 'welcome back?'.  "oh, I was talking with a friend in discord, sorry"  To me, that's just rude and not something I would even do if I did use voice chat.  There should be some little icon over your head when you're in an offsite chat so I won't bother you with my time consuming writing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

For me I just find text is more immersive and that people on voice are often not really paying attention to what is going on inworld but I suppose judging by the youtube video I just watched, it isn't the case for everyone.

So much of that discussion is why I don't like voice in SL.

HOWEVER . . . she's doing a great job of highlighting the platform. And she makes it look pretty good.

2 hours ago, Arielle Popstar said:

...gets as far as "I'll have rosé" in that video before setting her ears on fire.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I hang out at the London City sims, where texting and voicing are equally invited. Now, often the only problem seems to be that some voicers have trouble with the ‘equally’ part, i.e. they think that because voice is enabled, everyone must voice, or else. Their level of pressuring (and, indeed, mentality) varies, but for every voicer who is downright inclusive (reading aloud what texters say in a conversation, to ensure their participation is acknowledged), there’s usually about four who all but say they’ll ignore texters unless they switch to voice. Some aren’t even capable of couching it in words vague enough to walk back (’I didn’t meant it like that; of course I tolerate everyone’s choice!’) later if necessary. Some don’t want to, actually; there’s always one or two rather proud of their belief that theirs is the only acceptable choice; and when they find that the one thing the place enforces is freedom of choice, they move to others where there’s no such freedom. I find that beneficial because, in the end, it’s not an issue about texting or voicing; it’s about tolerance.

I recently started voicing again and immediately remembered why I stopped.

There are still a lot of people that voice, you tend not to notice when you don’t or have it turned off completely like I did. Certain sims are completely voice.

Pros: The good thing about voice is it’s easier to explain things on voice and you don’t have to worry about being misunderstood as much. You get much further along in a conversation faster in voice. Sound quality is excellent.

Cons: Some people man... some people just will NOT use push to talk. I understand some people are on laptops, but if you don’t have a mouse for it then what are you doing? 

The sound quality is excellent, but sometimes I think it’s a little too good. If you’re using a good headset and someone screams, you’re going to feel it.

Its fiddly. When you first start talking to someone, you’re going to do the volume dance for about five minutes. It goes “Wait.... let me turn you up, I can’t hear you.” “Can you hear me?” “Ok...we’re good!” Almost. Every. Time.

If there are more than five people on voice, it damned near borders on noise pollution. I mean, it’s bad. I’m prone to migraines and 10 minutes in a noisy place will trigger a migraine. So when I’m on a sim where someone’s dog is barking, someone else is yelling at their kids, someone else’s tv is blaring (all of which is pretty common) all at the same time. I can only stand 5-10 minutes of that and I’m leaving. I can do live performances, but just a noisy sim? Nah bruh....it’s the reason I have the other sounds turned off too.

Its ok in small gatherings or private conversations. Anything else? Not doing it.

Edited by Janet Voxel
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/22/2020 at 11:19 AM, RowanMinx said:

It's also great, I suppose for people who have issues with the written word.  My son, for instance, has been advanced verbally since he was very young.  However, once he started school, writing was very difficult for him. 

THIS, is such a GREAT point, and your son would benefit in such a place as Second Life, simply because of the use of writing.  

We are all different and many of us are quite verbally fluent, yet when it comes to the written word we can stumble, and my theory is that our brains move so fast, that writing, being a slower medium, acts as a sort of moving roadblock -- our fingers can't keep up with the firing synapses of our cortex.  So, like... our great ideas get mangled by now smashing into one another in their fast occurring sequence, while waiting for the labors of trying to capture them onto written media.  That capture is never quite as good as the very stream itself. 

Add to this the left/right brain theory: speaking is a left side activity, and intuition/imagination (where ideas are spawned) is right side, the side which does NOT use words for speaking.  That's a crude description but let me move on. So, we must learn to mesh these. 

THUS, a place like Second Life is exactly where your son can benefit.  Roleplay sims to me were a heaven!  I could practice using my fingers to work fast and keep up with my imaginative stream.  You build true skills here.  Many people like your son become writers, and this is how they do it.  Practice, fueled by desire, and real fun.

Edited by Lancewae Barrowstone
small add for clarity
  • Like 1

For me, I use voice only when others are using voice, and that being, when they are talking with me, not just because they are talking. I think this goes for a good deal of people as well. So as a result, most people just use text chat because no one wants to be the one to initiate using voice chat, due to no one else using it or being sure if others will use it.

I've seen a few times where a few people just always use voice, other times, I've had my friends start using voice and then I got on.

I personally don't like using it with big crowds of strangers though because I do have a lisp and worry that it will get on someone's nerves. BUT when I am with friends, I don't worry they will get annoyed because they know I am weird, or if I am in a region I moderate, I can just go "ya well i am moderator so go eat a wild corndog", and spam the forward, backwards, and crouch key while saying it. :^)

Another issue with me using voice is I am very easy to talk over because I am quiet and also silence myself whenever someone else starts speaking.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1267 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.