Dear LL. Make name changes cheaper :P

Kitteh Whiskers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So when are name changes going to be cheaper?        *hint*  *cough*      

I know...... 99.99% it won't happen but eh. 

Premium 1 month $11.99 + $39.99 name change = $51.98 

Is it really all that worth it? I mean I very much want to change mine but.......... I could do so much more with that $51.98 ya know 😕

Someone lie to me and tell me Yes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Katt Dragoone said:

I know...... 99.99% it won't happen but eh. 

Is it really all that worth it? I mean I very much want to change mine but.......... I could do so much more with that $51.98 ya know 😕

Someone lie to me and tell me Yes.

keep using the display name.. it's free.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Well, considering how much other things cost in Second Life (like owning a significant patch of land), I don't think they are going to make it cheaper. Especially not, if there are enough people paying the price. Too bad half the names are bad and only change, if they have been taken often enough, which, as far as I see it, hasn't happened yet.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, PermaRuthed said:

Display names ain’t gonna cut it. It would be useless if someone has that feature disabled in their viewer.

not really a reason.. it's also possible to disable all names ... all avatars.. all.... name it...
It's the free possibility to change the name, as also the double names... do it for yourself.

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, seeno29 said:

I spend a lot of money on this game, but I'm cheap when it comes to name changing, it's really not worth the price!

everybody can make the choice to use it or not, for many it indeed won't be worth the payment. I did't change mine either, after all these years it's more part of me than the appearance of my avatar.

• Like 3

I went full premium and changed my name. I felt in the long run, the investment was worth the $99.00 + $40.00.

Compare it to tearing the bandage off a skinned knee. It hurts at first but the pain goes away and the birds are singing and the clouds are fluffy white. Frankly, if LL ever offers name change to non-premium members, the price could be higher than $40.00 but will give them a chance to remedy any original name they chose and started disliking.

"Mileage will vary" on others opinion.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

Well, considering how much other things cost in Second Life (like owning a significant patch of land), I don't think they are going to make it cheaper. Especially not, if there are enough people paying the price. Too bad half the names are bad and only change, if they have been taken often enough, which, as far as I see it, hasn't happened yet.

Some of the names offered from the original batch have been replaced once so far. The ones they took out were not good at all and really did need to go.

I changed mine when they were first offered and settled on the one that I felt would do me for now as none really grabbed me, but my original name needed to go as it was prone to being misspelled, and had seemed like a good idea for my av at the time, but times change of course. I have to admit, ‘Nova’ has really grown on me and for me to change again seems very unlikely unless one of a handful of dream names were to suddenly be made available.

@Katt Dragoone I agree that the price you posted does seem excessive, but I was paying premium anyway at the time so didn’t factor that in to the cost myself, but the VAT added (20% for me), always makes my eyes roll :P 

1 minute ago, Sister Nova said:

Some of the names offered from the original batch have been replaced once so far. The ones they took out were not good at all and really did need to go.

Is there a good way to see the current list without already clicking through the process of changeing ones name?

6 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

Is there a good way to see the current list without already clicking through the process of changeing ones name?

This is the last blog post and details the new additions to the original list. There is a link in that post to see the names that were taken out, and then a link in THAT post to see the original offerings in their entirety.

It might actually be easier to click through the process and be able to see the current list, but maybe there is a list somewhere.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

It depends how much it is worth to you. Personally I don't bother with either the 11.99 for Premium or the 39.99 for name change as neither are worth anything to me.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Syo Emerald said:

It shows a full list of current names when you check it from a non premium account, along with the warning that it's a premium only feature and a link to sign up for premium. Premium ones, yeah, gotta click change to see the list first.

----

As for the price. I did change mine (not on this account obviously). Can't say that I did like the price, or going to change it again because of this, but 50$ is what... 12.5k L$? A mesh head with a good skin, some makeup etc is already half of it, some buildings/houses are 1/4 of it, and I think some vehicles (not into them, just saw around) are half of it as well.

Considering amount of stuff I got over the years it was really not much, compared to what I'd need to spend if I just got a new account. I still think the price is too much for what it is, though. And "but it's pricy, so people wouldn't abuse it" is a very weak argument. 10-15$ would be more than enough to prevent silly daily name change. Besides, for some people 40$ price is not any different than 10$, so they can still do it. Can as well make it 250$+ then.

Edited by steeljane42
typos
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Nina Stepford said:

they sell legacy surnames now?

cant say i am a fan of the idea.

They are selling name changes. That does not just mean "get a real last name" (of which none is from the original batches of lastnames from 2010 and earlier), but could also mean you decide not to be Nina anymore.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Katt Dragoone said:

LL doesn't want everybody changing their name all the time. It's an option for those who really want it (and a way to get some people to try Premium for a month), but they don't want name changes to be "popularized."

They've said this either in the blog posts and/or the in-world meetups.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

They are selling name changes. That does not just mean "get a real last name" (of which none is from the original batches of lastnames from 2010 and earlier), but could also mean you decide not to be Nina anymore.

so no 'serpentine' toons with a 2019 rez date then?

so new surnames are being offered? i saw somebody refer to the 'original batch' earlier in the thread and figured the lab were trying to cash in on legacy surnames.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1337 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.