Dear LL. Make name changes cheaper :P

Kitteh Whiskers

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Just now, Nina Stepford said:

so no 'serpentine' toons with a 2019 rez date then?

so new surnames are being offered? i saw somebody refer to the 'original batch' earlier in the thread and figured the lab were trying to cash in on legacy surnames.

The "original batch" was the first set of new last names. Old last names won't become available.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nina Stepford said:

so no 'serpentine' toons with a 2019 rez date then?

so new surnames are being offered? i saw somebody refer to the 'original batch' earlier in the thread and figured the lab were trying to cash in on legacy surnames.

No 2019 born Serpentines, Emeralds or Stepfords ;)

The 'orginal batch' mentioned earlier refers to the first selection of new lastnames, that they offered to use during a name change. A good chunk of this batch is has been switched out already, so the current selection doesn't include all names that where available, when the service got introduced.

Here are the latest with new names in red:

Alpha Amethyst Atheria Aurelia Banana Bellisserian Bloodrose Cloud Conundrum Crisp Dallas Dismantled Doge Enchantment
Fluffpaw Heartsong Hexem Hijinks Huntsman Ichibara Kiyori Leeder Lemongrass Littlepaws Melodious Mercury Mysterious
Nova Pancake Peppermint Puddles Ravenhurst Resident Rover Rowley Rumrunner Salty Sassypants Starlight Takeda Timmerman
Vanilla Vortex Voxel Wanderer Wayfarer Whimsy Wumpkins

Here are the original new last names:

Alpaca Alpha Atheria Banana Belisserian Cloud Conundrum Covfefe Crisp Dallas Damballar Dismantled Doge Enchantment
Float Heartsong Hexem Hijinks Huntsman Ichibara Jazzhands Kiyori Leeder Lemongrass Littlepaws Mainsail Melodious Mercury
Mysterious Nimble Nova Pancake Peppermint Piggins Plumday Puddles Ravenhurst Resident Rowley Rumrunner Salty Takeda
Timmerman Vanilla Voxel Whimsy Wumpkins Yeetly

5 hours ago, Nina Stepford said:

so this is more or less something that will be attractive for those unfortunate people that registered as Jimbo3028475.Resident and the like.

getting rid of surnames was one of the worse decisions the lab ever made.

if you read the LL posts about it, it will all be clear

8 hours ago, Nina Stepford said:

so this is more or less something that will be attractive for those unfortunate people that registered as Jimbo3028475.Resident and the like.

getting rid of surnames was one of the worse decisions the lab ever made.

It was as I recall because of a public outcry about wanting single names or some such cacadoodoo

I have no problem with paying  for the name change. But since i'm paying over $50.00 for a name change, i should be able to choose whatever name i want. ( ( If others don't like the name i choose, they can ignore/block me. Couldnt care less)) But  a lot of them names we have to choose from, are a joke. Seriously come up with a better list of names to choose from, because whoever's in charge of creating them names, ought to be fired. 

I've randomly seen a small select few to choose from, that were pretty good. So my point is LL, come up with a better list to choose from, or let US pick our own name.

Edited by Satanica Bloodrose
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Satanica Bloodrose said:

I have no problem with paying  for the name change. But since i'm paying over $50.00 for a name change, i should be able to choose whatever name i want.

Back in the old days a custom vanity last name of your choosing would cost $500 to set up and $500 a year to keep going and was intended for businesses and corporations

2 hours ago, Satanica Bloodrose said:

a lot of them names we have to choose from, are a joke. Seriously come up with a better list of names to choose from, because whoever's in charge of creating them names, ought to be fired. 

Pretty much all the last names on the list were dreamt up by us residents LL had a contest of sorts where every resident and their alts could submit up to three last name suggestions anyone whose name suggestion got included in the initial batch released got to change their name free

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

I wonder if there's something particular about the last name field for LL to not allow customization but allow it for first names.

have a look inworld what people do when they get freedom with names as display...  :)  ..

Edited by Alwin Alcott
  • Like 3

I dont see LL reducing that price. Maybe some sort of offer in the annual or quarterly premium, like those in 2019, but not in the coming months

I wanted to change my silly last name, but since I am charged an additional 21%, I decided I can definitely live with it, I just pretend It is not there...

Edited by Elena Core

I always thought, right from the start (when last names were originally scrapped) that the first name field should allow the inclusion of a single underscore that's rendered as a space, provided that it's not the first or last character in the name.

Hey presto, instantly and fully customisable first and last names if you want them, or not, if you don't.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alwin Alcott said:

have a look inworld what people do when they get freedom with names as display...  :)  ..

Ha true true. But what I meant is, when changing your name, you get to choose whatever you want for your first name. Why isn't LL worried about people creating "questionable" first names and only restricting last names? That's what makes me wonder, what's special about the last name part, whether it's more to do with how they work with scripts, etc.

9 minutes ago, AdminGirl said:

Ha true true. But what I meant is, when changing your name, you get to choose whatever you want for your first name. Why isn't LL worried about people creating "questionable" first names and only restricting last names? That's what makes me wonder, what's special about the last name part, whether it's more to do with how they work with scripts, etc.

perhaps...just possible...people want to use already existing lastnames, it will give lot of failures because of the thousends of first names that are already used. There will be only more and more Tom3666889 and Tom3666890 names, with the new combinations those nummerless names are all available again.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, AdminGirl said:

Last names aren't coded into your avatar's data as letters; they're a number that's used to refer to a master list. If anyone could create a different last name at will the list would become huge and there would have to be a check for each new last name to make sure it wasn't duplicating another one.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have no intentions of changing my name but I was looking at the list just out of curiosity, my first though on the choices of names was" How very childish, immature, demeaning these names are" The reminded me of names you picked out for Spiro game or put on arcade games at the local 5&dime long time ago. They reminded me of names I would see walking down mainland and seen a furry club with toon/bot names. I had envisions of 12 yr olds running amuck in a classroom with free reign to the chalkboard. Must be the Lindens way of really discouraging name changes as they said but really, why not give people the choice of what names they want with out looking like a D*k tool when you log in. Why not just charge more to have that dignity, and yes people do laugh at you for having a  Pancake Butt, Peppermint Apple Chest, Crispy Nova BBQ, Yeetly Slowly,  Salty Crusty Pants name.  If anything getting others to laugh at you might be worth the money.. Sad thing is people have no idea, they think they are funny, totally clueless, ignorance is bliss I guess.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gem Oxygen said:

I have no intentions of changing my name but I was looking at the list just out of curiosity, my first though on the choices of names was" How very childish, immature, demeaning these names are" The reminded me of names you picked out for Spiro game or put on arcade games at the local 5&dime long time ago. They reminded me of names I would see walking down mainland and seen a furry club with toon/bot names. I had envisions of 12 yr olds running amuck in a classroom with free reign to the chalkboard. Must be the Lindens way of really discouraging name changes as they said but really, why not give people the choice of what names they want with out looking like a D*k tool when you log in. Why not just charge more to have that dignity, and yes people do laugh at you for having a  Pancake Butt, Peppermint Apple Chest, Crispy Nova BBQ, Yeetly Slowly,  Salty Crusty Pants name.  If anything getting others to laugh at you might be worth the money.. Sad thing is people have no idea, they think they are funny, totally clueless, ignorance is bliss I guess.

would you hate someone called Squiggin Piggins😲

4 hours ago, Gem Oxygen said:

I have no intentions of changing my name but I was looking at the list just out of curiosity, my first though on the choices of names was" How very childish, immature, demeaning these names are" 

Selective vision. While I wish there were more name-names of the kind you might see on a drivers license, there are plenty of solid names. Takeda, Atheria, Rowley, Timmerman, Dallas and others. Not to mention names not far off from, say, Oxygen: Cloud, Nova, Amethyst. LL didn’t implement the feature for people not to use it. Many thousands of avatars have changed names. 

Edited by missyrideout
phrasing
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Gem Oxygen said:

As opposed to a last name of "Oxygen"?

Also I didn't mean to imply that there's anything wrong with silly names, pun names, fantasy names or whatever people want  to call themselves. I enjoy seeing them! In my casual headcounts I noticed even the least popular names had their fans. And in the case of names already removed from the new list they'll get to be one of only a  few who  share them. I  think that appeals to some people. We know from years of discussion that names have great significance for some.

Edited by missyrideout

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1316 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.