NEW THEME!! Beachy/Summery?

Nika Talaj
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

This is what Marianne is talking about --- set these options in Firestorm and then click About Land.

image.png.5e15c201841db1373ec30da2d47c5f0b.png

Thank you for replying, I have been sleeping. It's morning in my timezone now.

But to be honest, I changed those settings so long time ago, that I forgot it is not on by default!  😣

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SarahThe Wanderer said:

Yes, it's my first time decorating linden home as well and I'm already suffering, I haven't even started and I'm out of prims 🙃

Snapshot_9267.thumb.png.ed76983402a8e86db8441e445503ac96.png

such a rookie 😅

I don't know if you guys already do this, but I figured this might be a hot tip for anyone struggling with land impact...

Whenever I am decorating, I go through everything and test link pairs of objects. As in, if I rez out two decor pieces, I shift copy them in order to test if linking the pair will lower their LI together. If they do lower, I delete my test pair and link the pair I want to use once they are in their place. And when I'm done with that, I go back through and test link the pairs to other pairs, as I find sometimes a group of 4 - 6 will lower the LI even further.

I have saved A LOT of LI for extra decor and clutter with this method. Even if you only save 20, that's 20 you didn't have before. Just don't expect this method to work with any objects that are scripted with poses, as it tends to break the pose locations. Also, I wouldn't do this with gacha/no copy items of course. But with purely decorative copy/mod pieces it works great to squeeze as much as you can out of your 351 allowance. Fantastic for paintings, rugs, shelves, plants, all that clutter, etc.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Cyanide Pixie said:

I don't know if you guys already do this, but I figured this might be a hot tip for anyone struggling with land impact...

Whenever I am decorating, I go through everything and test link pairs of objects. As in, if I rez out two decor pieces, I shift copy them in order to test if linking the pair will lower their LI together. If they do lower, I delete my test pair and link the pair I want to use once they are in their place. And when I'm done with that, I go back through and test link the pairs to other pairs, as I find sometimes a group of 4 - 6 will lower the LI even further.

I have saved A LOT of LI for extra decor and clutter with this method. Even if you only save 20, that's 20 you didn't have before. Just don't expect this method to work with any objects that are scripted with poses, as it tends to break the pose locations. Also, I wouldn't do this with gacha/no copy items of course. But with purely decorative copy/mod pieces it works great to squeeze as much as you can out of your 351 allowance. Fantastic for paintings, rugs, shelves, plants, all that clutter, etc.

Yes, that's exactly what I always do, and I've already done it here.

Thanks for mentioning it here I'm sure others who might not know about this method will find it helpful.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

@Cyanide Pixie, that is a great tip actually. Just keep in mind that linking too many objects, may cause some lag in your parcel ;) 

That's awesome to know too! I haven't noticed any FPS drops after linking, but I will have to keep that in mind. Do you know if that is the case both with pairs and small groups or if the total LI of what is being linked makes a difference to that impact?

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cyanide Pixie said:

That's awesome to know too! I haven't noticed any FPS drops after linking, but I will have to keep that in mind. Do you know if that is the case both with pairs and small groups or if the total LI of what is being linked makes a difference to that impact?

I really couldn't tell, let's see if someone 'more technical' lol can reply. It is just based on my experience, and what I've seen in other friends' homes.

If it is different groups of objects, that should be ok, but if you try to link a whole garden for example, then lag is called on ;) 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Elena Core said:

I really couldn't tell, let's see if someone 'more technical' lol can reply. It is just based on my experience, and what I've seen in other friends' homes.

If it is different groups of objects, that should be ok, but if you try to link a whole garden for example, then lag is called on ;) 

Oh gosh, no, I definitely wouldn't do that. Not because I knew of the lag problem, but because when you link a whole ton it usually makes the LI increase as opposed to decrease. Generally it's just pairs or triplets and on rare occasions up to about 5 or 6 decor/clutter items if I get lucky and find a couple pairs linked will lower when linked once more to each other. A couple of paintings here, a vase and a rug over there, the clutter on my bathroom sink down the hall, etc. Little groupings that lower the LI 1-3 each. My basic goal is to get my decor/clutter LI halved with that method.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I wish I understood the physics of linking better.  I recently bought these nifty little stairs on the MP:  https://marketplace.secondlife.com/p/Havana-Deck-Stairs-addon-Bellisseria-stilts/21031646  and noticed to my utter amazement that they actually decreased the LI of various Stilt decking I was mucking about with when I linked them.  One caveat:  if you use them, you will probably want to adjust the textures, as the seller mentions.  (I use the Stilt Home decking texture with a scale of 0.1/0.2 for the steps and LH - Interior Trims White Wood with a faint touch of gray for the underwood.)

• Like 4
  • Thanks 4

To add to this discussion, you can successfully link basic scripted furniture with other items, but I find that it works best if the furniture is not the root.  You do not want to attempt this with several pieces, and I typically limit it to simple items, such as chairs, rugs, and such.  If you link multiple copies of the same item, it can help to rename one of them, as the sitters can get confused otherwise.  

Also, think twice about linking items with texture changers.  For this scenario, make your texture changes before linking, and delete the script, lest you end up with rug textures on your trees (yes, it has happened).

One final warning, beware of linking items that extend beyond your parcel limits.  For one, you may be violating the covenant, and as the moles have warned, objects can be returned without warning, possibly resulting in half of your décor disappearing.  Additionally, you will not be able to unlink any items from the linkset, should the need arise, unless you move it to where it fully fits within your parcel.  This is true even if you are only unlinking a single item that is fully inside your parcel boundaries.  This can be a common problem with landscaping where you may have rocks or trees creeping too far beyond your boundaries on multiple sides, making it difficult or impossible to move it to a safe place.   

• Like 9
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, Cyanide Pixie said:

My observation is that if the linked object has a crazy high number of triangles after being linked, it will cause lag. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

I wish I understood the physics of linking better...

Me too, have experienced all the issues noted above...and also, I wish I understood the impact of physics on objects.. One of my creator friends  gave me a round 3 prim island with physics, 3 LI, when I tried resizing it to be smaller it jumped up to 18 and then 22 LI !   Very puzzling.   I might start taking Blender classes again to learn more about these mysteries  :) 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Elena Core said:

@Cyanide Pixie, that is a great tip actually. Just keep in mind that linking too many objects, may cause some lag in your parcel ;) 

😮 I just noticed this yesterday. Had a sudden heavy drop in fps on my stilt parcel. I didn't know that it might come from the linking, but I'll make sure to unlink some stuff later to make the lag go away.
Thanks for that tip! 🙏

• Like 3

• Moles
5 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

I wish I understood the physics of linking better.  I recently bought these nifty little stairs on the 

That's to do with the way LI is calculated base on how the physics of the mesh was uploaded, but it brings up another good point. Check the physics of the object linkset you create. Sometimes the linking/unlinking will change the physics of some of the links in your linksets and you'll find the bushes that had no physical shape before are suddenly keeping you from walking in your kitchen or the shadow prim on a rug is blocking your ability to walk up the stairs to the second floor. 

Edit: More specifically, if you link something that is set as phantom to something else that that is not, that linked object is no longer phantom. You will need to select those links in the linkset and set them as Physics Shape Type: None. 

Edited by Abnor Mole
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 13

3 hours ago, Matthieu Quander said:

To add to this discussion, you can successfully link basic scripted furniture with other items, but I find that it works best if the furniture is not the root.  You do not want to attempt this with several pieces, and I typically limit it to simple items, such as chairs, rugs, and such.  If you link multiple copies of the same item, it can help to rename one of them, as the sitters can get confused otherwise.  

Also, think twice about linking items with texture changers.  For this scenario, make your texture changes before linking, and delete the script, lest you end up with rug textures on your trees (yes, it has happened).

One final warning, beware of linking items that extend beyond your parcel limits.  For one, you may be violating the covenant, and as the moles have warned, objects can be returned without warning, possibly resulting in half of your décor disappearing.  Additionally, you will not be able to unlink any items from the linkset, should the need arise, unless you move it to where it fully fits within your parcel.  This is true even if you are only unlinking a single item that is fully inside your parcel boundaries.  This can be a common problem with landscaping where you may have rocks or trees creeping too far beyond your boundaries on multiple sides, making it difficult or impossible to move it to a safe place.   

Yes to all the above. 

• Like 3

Thanks so much to Malayaa for telling me about the Blender Benders group; I will hook up with them inworld.  I also just checked the Builders Brewery calendar and their Blender Beginner class is restarting this Saturday so I hope to be there.  Info copied here:

BLENDER: Beginner Series A (part 1)
Saturday, January 911:00 a.m. SLT
Description:11:00 am SLT
BLENDER for Beginners - Series A: Part 1/7

Instructor: Rain Alderbury

New to Blender? No worries. This is Lesson #1.
Today we learn some basics of the 3D viewport,
and introduce OBJECT Mode in Blender 2.91.
You MUST have a 3-button mouse
(centre wheel clickable).
Learn how to use Blender for Second Life.

* Blender Level:  BEGINNER
* SL Building Level:  INTERMEDIATE
* Length:   90 min
* Format:   Text
Creator: Created by: lilian.rain@gmail.comCreated by: lilian.rain@gmail.com
Edited by Leora Greenwood
changed time references to SLT
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 4

34 minutes ago, Syo Emerald said:

I swear I'm cursed when it comes to linking stuff. It ALWAYS increases the LI. 😢

That's because creators has been very skilled in making 1 Li objects. But if these are close to 1.5 download, it is rounded down to 1 Li when you rez it. But if you link 1.4 + 1.3 = 2.7 it is rounded up to.... 3. So you increased the Li.

You need to find your 0,1 and 0,2 download objects. These are super useful as you can link 0.2 with 1.2 and link more items than you think you could.

Unless.... one of the items are actually two objects. Like, a picture that's one object, and a shadow that's another object, linked and 1 Li when rezzed.*

But if you link one such item with another, you have linked 4 objects that's 0.5 server weight: 0.5 x 4 = 2. You have linked two 1 Li items, but not reduced the Li.

How to see this: Select two 1 Li pictures to hang on the wall, but instead of linking them, you click on the green text More Info. You get up another window, "Advanced". Find the numbers for "Download" and "Server". 

If they are suitable for linking, you will see that the number for Server is 1, and the Download number is below 1.5. Then link them, and the total Li should go down to 1.

*You can unlink and delete the shadow.

Edited by Marianne Little
added a few words to (hopefully) clarify
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 6

I will not edit the post more, so I make a new post for another example:

Six dinner plates each has a Download of 0.7 and Server weight 0.5. This will be 4.2 and 3 when all linked together. Land impact will be 4.

But if you link the dinner plates two and two, you have a land impact of 3 total. One Li for each double dinner plate. You save one Li by not linking all six together. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 5

On 1/5/2021 at 9:14 PM, Leora Jacobus said:

By now it's 12:20 pm SLT - time for lunch break - still no word from @Patch Linden??

I posted THAT about 24 hours ago and meanwhile ...??

No Stilt - mass - release! No word from @Patch Linden about why it is delayed and how much longer it will likely be delayed.

This stilt release starts being a pain in the neck! :(

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

No Stilt - mass - release! No word from @Patch Linden about why it is delayed and how much longer it will likely be delayed.

I humbly ask for an official message "No stilts today" or "No stilts this week".

Please? 🙏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

13 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Patch may be thinking the same about some of us... :|

• Like 3
  • Haha 7

21 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Patch may be thinking the same about some of us... :|

Yep yep 😈

Nah, I think it is a love-hate relationship, but it is still hot... and lukewarm feelings risk ending up in nothing? Imagine how quiet it will be when we all retire our alts and a new theme is met with "Uh yea. Nice. Zzzz".

• Haha 6

52 minutes ago, Leora Jacobus said:

Stilts are still showing up on the land page, so getting one of those shouldn't be a big problem. 🤷‍♀️

Location- wise.... Well, that's on another page.

• Like 4

I would appreciate an update, it’s not unreasonable to keep in touch with your user base. Surely they’re not making decisions impulsively, and there is some type of road map? Some people may think the people craving constant updates are demanding or whatever, but to me it is not an  unreasonable expectation. The popularity of this forum indicates that there are huge spenders and huge fans, and fans can be impatient. Some people would downgrade an expiring alt and renew when stilts are available again. I know I’ve wasted money when I thought stilts were going back in November lol 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1162 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.