NEW THEME!! Beachy/Summery?

Nika Talaj
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

I will not edit the post more, so I make a new post for another example:

Six dinner plates each has a Download of 0.7 and Server weight 0.5. This will be 4.2 and 3 when all linked together. Land impact will be 4.

But if you link the dinner plates two and two, you have a land impact of 3 total. One Li for each double dinner plate. You save one Li by not linking all six together. 

This is one of the best examples of how it all works. 

If you check the More Info for the objects you are thinking about linking, you'll get the numbers that determine the LI and you can then just add up various combinations to see if something will or will not save LI.  If you aren't sure about any large linkset, play with it in a sandbox.

My houseboat has probably 75% of my outdoor objects linked together.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Milk Pixelmaid said:

I would appreciate an update, it’s not unreasonable to keep in touch with your user base. Surely they’re not making decisions impulsively, and there is some type of road map? Some people may think the people craving constant updates are demanding or whatever, but to me it is not an  unreasonable expectation. The popularity of this forum indicates that there are huge spenders and huge fans, and fans can be impatient. Some people would downgrade an expiring alt and renew when stilts are available again. I know I’ve wasted money when I thought stilts were going back in November lol 

There is asking for an update, and then there is rudely demanding one. 

It takes mere seconds to upgrade an alt, so if paying for alts unnecessarily is the issue, then by all means downgrade and wait till a release is actually happening to upgrade again. 

• Like 6

• Moles

There have always been a few very significant reason why we avoid announcing releases:

1. To avoid mass rushes of residents all attempting to secure houses or playing "Game of Homes" all at once, which tends to break things and overload systems.
2. If things do break or there are unforeseen complications (which often happens) it delays a release and those who anticipated the announced release are understandably upset.
3. It is fairest to all resident since no one has advanced knowledge of when a release may or may not happen, giving no one an unfair advantage.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 16

Another thing to keep in mind. Once you get your parcel successfully linked (minus things with poses you want to keep scripted etc), highlight the link set and delete all the scripts. For example, my link set was 127 prims worth of stuff and when checked, that linked object had 65 scripts (from all the individual objects). It had curtains with texture change scripts, sizers, blah blah blah. Once you have your textures chosen and sizes set, you do not need all those scripts. Getting rid of them reduced lag for you and everyone on the sim.

• Like 10
  • Thanks 6

3 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

This thread is a tutorial, thank all of you for sharing your skills with us!!  🤩

Yes, I am so happy I spoke up initially about the pair linking method, because I came out of it learning so much more! I already knew things were roughly rounded up or down, and that's why linking can either increase or decrease, but the discussion in this thread really solidified exactly why and how things work and also gave new insight into how to maximize my land impact savings without just guessing and testing. What a joy to come back to tonight! If I could give that whole thread a gigantic "thank you" trophy I would! ❤️

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

On 1/8/2021 at 12:14 AM, Cyanide Pixie said:

Yes, I am so happy I spoke up initially about the pair linking method, because I came out of it learning so much more! I already knew things were roughly rounded up or down, and that's why linking can either increase or decrease, but the discussion in this thread really solidified exactly why and how things work and also gave new insight into how to maximize my land impact savings without just guessing and testing. What a joy to come back to tonight! If I could give that whole thread a gigantic "thank you" trophy I would! ❤️

We need to move this thread to the techie section.

And many thanks to@Leora Greenwoodfor posting the very well-organized Builder's Brewery beginner Blender classes. Now I know how to download and install Blender.  Lol!

Seriously, they did a great job making a dent in my dense little head.  

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

We need to move this thread to the techie section.

And many thanks to@Leora Greenwoodfor posting the very well-organized Builder's Brewery beginner Blender classes. Now I know how to download and install Blender.  Lol!

Seriously, they did a great job making a dent in my dense little head.  

I so desperately wanted to attend that class, but had to work today.  

/me is sad

• Sad 2

37 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I so desperately wanted to attend that class, but had to work today.  

/me is sad

I can send you the notecard and a couple links from this session if you want. It only covered Object Mode (in part, of course). You can be caught up for next week!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Eirynne Sieyes said:

I can send you the notecard and a couple links from this session if you want. It only covered Object Mode (in part, of course). You can be caught up for next week!

Oh yes, please.  I was thinking about attending next week, but was afraid I'd end up being lost depending on what I missed.

I do already have Blender installed and have even imported a very simple dae file, but kept confusing myself trying to manipulate the object -- so many of the tutorials are for older versions which apparently had a really different interface.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Oh yes, please.  I was thinking about attending next week, but was afraid I'd end up being lost depending on what I missed.

I do already have Blender installed and have even imported a very simple dae file, but kept confusing myself trying to manipulate the object -- so many of the tutorials are for older versions which apparently had a really different interface.

I hope you can make it next week!  I think the Beginner A level classes are always on Saturdays, the B level classes seem to be on Thursdays.  There were 60 there today, packed the sim so get there early.  You might try some beginner YouTube tutorials for Blender 2.91, focus on object tools and keyboard shortcuts.  I only got lost once, LOL.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Leora Greenwood said:

I hope you can make it next week!  I think the Beginner A level classes are always on Saturdays, the B level classes seem to be on Thursdays.  There were 60 there today, packed the sim so get there early.  You might try some beginner YouTube tutorials for Blender 2.91, focus on object tools and keyboard shortcuts.  I only got lost once, LOL.

Thanks for the heads-up - will definitely plan on arriving very early.  I don't work Sat very often, so I'm hoping to get through the class without another work day.

I tried watching some of the 2.8 youtube stuff a while back, but was having trouble find the true "beginner" stuff.  So many beginner ones still assume you understand the interface and just jump right in to creating and changing things. I haven't re-checked since I downloaded the 2.9 last week for the class.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

I tried watching some of the 2.8 youtube stuff a while back, but was having trouble find the true "beginner" stuff.  So many beginner ones still assume you understand the interface and just jump right in to creating and changing things. I haven't re-checked since I downloaded the 2.9 last week for the class.

The instructor, Rain, did mention that some of the IRL Blender tutorials taught uses other than those actually used in SL so she focuses on Blender in SL.  I am too much of a neophyte to know what those differences are yet but it is a good caution to keep in mind when exploring tutorials out in the "real" world.  :D

• Like 4

On 1/9/2021 at 5:46 PM, Leora Greenwood said:

Now I'm ticked. I almost never work Saturdays - typically only to support some really complicated production upgrade or release install.  Yet, I had to work last Sat -- and the damn thing was ultimately backed out, which means we'll get to do it all over again in a month or so -- and I have been scheduled to work on Sat, Jan 23rd.

This is the first time there has ever been a Builder's Brewery class that I really wanted to take -- primarily because it is not only Blender but geared specifically for creating stuff in SL.

I "should" only be needed for the first hour or two, starting at 8:00 MT and the class is not until Noon MT, so I'm hoping that at the very least, i can drop off long enough for the class.  

*sigh*

/me starts working on how to ensure I can bail long enough to attend the class.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

Now I'm ticked. I almost never work Saturdays - typically only to support some really complicated production upgrade or release install.  Yet, I had to work last Sat -- and the damn thing was ultimately backed out, which means we'll get to do it all over again in a month or so -- and I have been scheduled to work on Sat, Jan 23rd.

This is the first time there has ever been a Builder's Brewery class that I really wanted to take -- primarily because it is not only Blender but geared specifically for creating stuff in SL.

I "should" only be needed for the first hour or two, starting at 8:00 MT and the class is not until Noon MT, so I'm hoping that at the very least, i can drop off long enough for the class.  

*sigh*

Just an FYI, but Rain does do the classes on a rotational sort of basis.  However, the day of the week may change.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

*sigh*

I will keep my fingers and toes crossed for you!! 🤞 🤞 🤞 🤞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An alt scored a super-nice parcel on Flamingo Dancers just now (the pink Lauderdale in the middle) and I noticed something that raised a question.  The waterway in front of this lot leads to what might become open, sailable, water but is currently a void region with a Linden buoy in it.  Does the presence of the buoy mean that it will be an open water region or just that it will be built on at some point or what?  TIA!

Flamingo Dancers 1_001.jpg

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Leora Greenwood said:

An alt scored a super-nice parcel on Flamingo Dancers just now (the pink Lauderdale in the middle) and I noticed something that raised a question.  The waterway in front of this lot leads to what might become open, sailable, water but is currently a void region with a Linden buoy in it.  Does the presence of the buoy mean that it will be an open water region or just that it will be built on at some point or what?  TIA!

I've wondered this myself.

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1155 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.