Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

All lives don't matter until black lives matter.

I think that's not an entirely terrible idea. It lets is talk about the subsequent 155 years that have been sub-optimal.

trying to make it about one ethic group is a slap in the face to everyone else which is why a lot of people dont like the whole 'black lives matter' approach. 

all lives matter.. period.. doesnt matter color or ethnic background. 

2 hours ago, Istelathis said:

If you support all lives matter, then you should not have a problem with black lives matter.  

wrong.. for that makes it about one color more than another and that is not what it should be about.. it never should have been about one color ever. it should have been about social injustice by the police and how the system is corrupt and needs to be re-done. Not about how one color is being oppressed seemingly more than any other color.

Not a bad piece about being an "ally" (or not). It includes suggestions for some further reading.

#8 is especially interesting and important.

https://www.thestar.com/opinion/star-columnists/2020/06/03/what-white-privilege-why-cant-you-be-more-civil-some-faqs-about-racism-and-answers-you-may-find-challenging.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

trying to make it about one ethic group is a slap in the face to everyone else which is why a lot of people dont like the whole 'black lives matter' approach. 

all lives matter.. period.. doesnt matter color or ethnic background. 

Yes, yes they do all matter.  But, just remember we all can be heard through The American Civil Liberties Union if necessary.   The difference is Caucasians and other's haven't gathered together to make "a group" against Police Brutality.  Black Lives Matter involves other issues though such as racial profiling.  It's interesting you posted this just as I was reading a news article that is from Canada with the headline that reads:  "Stand Up To Trump".  However, the article refers to an indigenous women who was killed in Canada at the hands of the Canadian Police.  A group to stand up against Police Brutality for all is not a bad idea.  If there is one....I've never heard of it.  

Trudeau, wearing a black mask and surrounded by bodyguards, made a surprise appearance at the "No justice = No peace" rally in front of Parliament. His appearance came a day after police shot and killed an indigenous woman during a wellness check in eastern Canada. 

Demonstrations were held in other Canadian cities on Friday, including Toronto, where hundreds walked downtown in protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, while in police custody in Minnesota.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/stand-up-to-trump-canada-protesters-shout-to-trudeau-who-kneels-at-anti-racism-rally/ar-BB156jOu?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by FairreLilette

15 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

The difference is Caucasians and other's haven't gathered together to make "a group" against Police Brutality.

Sure they have! They're generally railing against the brutality of the government itself, but definitely include the police forces in that in a big way.

We call them Militias and they're generally listed as hate groups. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Drakonadrgora Darkfold said:

We all know who doesn’t like the Black Lives Matter approach.

• Like 6

I don't remember where I found this -- it may well have been from someone in this thread, in which case my apologies for not crediting you.

In any case, it's worth posting again.

"There are no doubt complexities that come with White Americans working for racial justice. White privilege can lead to a chronic case of undiagnosed entitlement, creating poor listeners, impatient speakers who talk over others, and people unaccustomed to taking orders. Nevertheless, the movement for racial justice needs more White Americans to get involved. And it’s our responsibility to help each other get involved–and get involved productively."

https://citizenshipandsocialjustice.com/2015/07/10/curriculum-for-white-americans-to-educate-themselves-on-race-and-racism/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

How do we even start to move past, to move forward, when this racist, tone-deaf, ******** and ******** tweets this just a few hours ago

image.png.6b08b3b26fff903a2475913c978946cd.png

Ya know, through my years of antagonizing, battling and debating logically with numerous Americans online, it's usually this kind of statement they throw out that makes me realise I'm wasting my time trying to point out/ discuss things because I'm just dealing with a total f'kin conditioned from birth "drone"!  
This guy is the LEADER of your Country! A clown, who I fully expect to gain 4 more years come November,! A man who with one seriously ridiculous "post" can make the rest of the World roll it's eyes and say "fk the US...it's a lost cause!" 
I honestly don't know which is more important right now, backing BLM or backing ANYONE dedicated to removing this f'ker ASAP!

• Like 2

He is appalling, Dano. And he's making things much much worse.

But ultimately he's as much or more a symptom than the cause of what ails us, collectively.

Dig up the roots of systemic racism and injustice and you'll do much to prevent a recurrence of the last three + years.

(But yes, he needs to be defeated.)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gatogateau said:

/me just stares at the screen with mouth hanging open and then starts kinda laughing

WHAT?

How the heck...?

What the heck...?

I couldn't be further from a black woman. I was born in a very white area, of a very white middle America, of a very white middle class, of ... yeah. Pretty much a poster child for something.

Not that there's anything wrong with that (gah, I can't believe I just wrote that), but I can't imagine what I could have said that would have... OHhhhhh. When I started back on this forum I was still in my black avatar! I'll bet that's what did it.

Last year, when I turned 10 in SL, I decided to do a major change. For 10 years I had been much like my RL self, pale, green eyes, brunette kind of sweet but wussy looking, ya know. What could be more different? A strong black woman. So I made one, based on a bunch of photos that drew my attention. I love her look. Love it. And I never felt comfortable in "her" skin (I was still me, I didn't "act black" whatever that would mean.) She just gave off an air of... competence and self-assurance that I simply lack! Since I really identify with my avatar, I had to go back to the wussy pale girl with self-esteem issues. I did and I feel better (??!?). Some people can change avatars freely, I can't.

Early on in this thread was the conversation about "wearing" a black avatar if you're white in RL as support for what is going on now, the consensus was it wouldn't be quite right. I sure feel like the answer to that is "No" and I won't be doing it.

But this is probably how you first got to know me. This was my avatar picture for quite a while. Have you not noticed changes? My flickr? & sorry to have disappointed you. ? ♥

bksr1_001profile.png

This must have been before I came back to the forums.  Very beautiful avatar. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Gatogateau said:

But this is probably how you first got to know me. This was my avatar picture for quite a while. 

bksr1_001profile.png

I do remember that avatar -- soooo beautiful - and I do remember originally thinking you were black in RL.  I actually thought you were from another country at first, though I can't now remember which country or why I thought that.

I'm not sure I really ever thought about it when you suddenly started posting pictures of a white avatar.  Some people change avatars and skins so much in SL, that I tend not to think twice about any of it.  Something you said somewhere along the line made we realize you were white in RL, but I still didn't really think much about it.

Edited by LittleMe Jewell
  • Like 3

38 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

This guy is the LEADER of your Country! A clown, who I fully expect to gain 4 more years come November,! A man who with one seriously ridiculous "post" can make the rest of the World roll it's eyes and say "fk the US...it's a lost cause!" 
I honestly don't know which is more important right now, backing BLM or backing ANYONE dedicated to removing this f'ker ASAP!

It's just odd in the first place to have a president who "tweets" plus I think he's polemic in his odd sort of way.  

He's exercising his freedom of speech.  Are we supposed to protest all his tweets?  There is a pandemic happening plus I'd like to lead my life too.  I don't read his tweets and I don't really see the need for them to published here as does the SL forum have to become Twitter now?  Many of us are here to avoid Twitter "wars" of a lot of polemics.  I consider Twitter an avoid because of the polemics.   But, Britain's rag-mags do the same thing and hound people like they are prey instead of human and publish such hate just to stir up trouble.  

You need to start ignoring some of what he says because most people don't listen anyways nor are they going to stop kneeling just because Trump says to.  Some may but it's not up to Trump if someone chooses to "take a knee".  

I don't know if I could take four more years of Trump but some say they are worried for Biden's ill health.  Trump is a business man; was a celebrity, and he's not even a politician.  We can't deny him his free speech.  But, why do you think it will be 4 More Years of Trump?  I don't personally think so.   

Edited by FairreLilette

46 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Ya know, through my years of antagonizing, battling and debating logically with numerous Americans online, it's usually this kind of statement they throw out that makes me realise I'm wasting my time trying to point out/ discuss things because I'm just dealing with a total f'kin conditioned from birth "drone"!  

Well of course he lost the popular vote (details). And yeah, he could get another four years, and anyone who says otherwise is deluded. I knew they were deluded with "no way he could get the nomination" and then "no way he could win" and "no way Florida can mess things up (again)" and...  Please note, we are not the only country with a bad joke for a leader, but yes, ours is... awful.   Backing BLM is not mutually exclusive to backing the defeat of this wanker. In fact, they are rather united.

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

He is appalling, Dano. And he's making things much much worse.

But ultimately he's as much or more a symptom than the cause of what ails us, collectively.

Dig up the roots of systemic racism and injustice and you'll do much to prevent a recurrence of the last three + years.

(But yes, he needs to be defeated.)

Yes, people who point to Trump as The Problem are missing what got him elected in the first place. He's the pus in the boil. He's the visible part, the ugly, stinking oozing part of the boil. But the boil itself is caused by a bacterial infection, running under the skin, out of the light and air. Lance the damned thing, pour on disinfectant, douse the system with antibiotics.

I was going to add a colorful image of a boil just to further the metaphor, but I grossed myself out. :)

Metaphor? Analogy? One of those things I learned in high school English.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

But, why do you think it will be 4 More Years of Trump? 

Because he's demanding servitude to a song and a bit of coloured cloth at a time when all he should be concerned with is the fact that his law enforcement are murdering people of all races and colours at an astonishing rate!
That and the fact it seems it's illegal to have 200 yards of space that isn't flying a flag and the belief that many who do fly it will stand by his BS and vote for him again!

4 minutes ago, Gatogateau said:

Please note, we are not the only country with a bad joke for a leader,

Never said it was, never will. I have 0 time or respect for anyone who goes under the title "politician"! They're all as bad as each other, no matter what side of the line they're on!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dano Seale said:

Because he's demanding servitude to a song and a bit of coloured cloth at a time when all he should be concerned with is the fact that his law enforcement are murdering people of all races and colours at an astonishing rate!
That and the fact it seems it's illegal to have 200 yards of space that isn't flying a flag and the belief that many who do fly it will stand by his BS and vote for him again!

I think Trump has "macho" problems and it's best to ignore him if you can.  You also said you don't like politicians either.  Well, I'd at least like someone with some political background and knowledge about the political system to lead the country.   I'm sure if Biden is elected there will be some Biden bashing posts but that always happens with politicians and it's par for the course but Trump living his life out on Twitter is very strange and causes a lot of needless problems.  

• Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1418 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.