Are You Showing Support for Black Lives Matter in Second Life?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

7 minutes ago, kali Wylder said:

(bolded and embiggened by me)  I really like what you said there Innula.  I think that a willingness to re-examine one's actions and motivations is the mark of a truly open mind, Something I also strive to have.

Thank you.  

It's always seemed so obvious to me that if I offend or hurt someone unintentionally, then the right thing to do is to apologise and to do my  best to make sure I don't do it again.    "I didn't mean it like that" isn't an excuse, and it does not take a deep understanding to human nature to know that telling the other person they're being unreasonable or oversensitive is really not a good idea.

• Like 4

Another way to offer financial support came to my attention today. The itch.io gaming platform has released a bundle of 740 indie games worth almost $3,500 on a 'pay what you want' deal (minimum donation of $5US), with all proceeds being donated to the NAACP Legal Defense and Educational Fund and Community Bail Fund (split 50/50). So far the bundle has already raised over a million dollars. More info here: https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LittleMe Jewell said:

My googling showed me that it stood form "f**k my life".   No clue if that is what he meant or not.

Other alternative meanings that we could pick from:

image.png.b35daeeec9993ea8a5ca294f4b6227df.png

"Find My Luggage! Lord give me strength" doesn't seem quite right, so that meaning is probably definitely not it.

You got it right the first time. Don't ask me how I know. shiftyeyes.gif.1c2bac9712a6c295767ce9091c5f5162.gif

In case anyone is interested, i found a list of buildings destroyed or damaged by looting and fire in Minneapolis.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/a-list-of-the-buildings-damaged-looted-in-minneapolis-and-st-paul

Many of these appear to be small businesses, the sort of place that would have taken someones life savings to open and a lifelong dream and work to make it to where they are. I can imagine many of these people at this point in their life throwing their hands in the air and simply giving up.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

In the case of George Floyd, they're currently talking about defunding Police. They're basically saying that an entire group of people are guilty by being in the same group and should be punished as such.

what is being said is that when it comes to limited amounts of taxpayers/ratepayers money then it might be better to spend it on fences at the top of the cliff (education, housing, job training, clean water, efficient waste disposal, etc) rather than on military equipment for the police

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Mollymews said:

it might be better to spend it on fences at the top of the cliff (education, housing, job training, clean water, efficient waste disposal, etc) rather than on military equipment for the police

I support the notion of moving funds towards improving education and general social wellbeing to deprived communities, this much we can agree on :)

To be clear I am not against Black Lives Matter, and in many ways I support and agree with the sentiment.

My issue is that I think that there are thugs and bandits who are absolutely taking advantage of the fact that people are very emotional about this movement, using it as cover for themselves whilst they loot and destroy for their own selfish gains, and people are so emotional that they forget that there are some people out there that really are just opportunistic assholes out there, both black and white and end up giving them a free pass, rather than holding them accountable as individuals. I think it is causing untold damage and needs to have a light shined on it before it's too late.

4 minutes ago, Extrude Ragu said:

My issue is that I think that there are thugs and bandits who are absolutely taking advantage of the fact that people are very emotional about this movement, using it as cover for themselves whilst they loot and destroy for their own selfish gains, and people are so emotional that they forget that there are some people out there that really are just opportunistic assholes out there, both black and white and end up giving them a free pass, rather than holding them accountable as individuals. I think it is causing untold damage and needs to have a light shined on it before it's too late.

yes, there are some people who are criminal by choice, no matter how affluent or egalitarian a society is. Am not sure tho that we should allow how we construct our societies to be dictated by their actions rather than by the actions of the much larger body of non-criminal law-abiding members

yes we do need to put in protective measures, but I think we have got it wrong when ordinary law-abiding people become fearful when approached by a police officer    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I'm not sure why this article I pasted a few days ago about a Canadian indigenous woman who was shot and killed by The Canadian Police was over-looked.  I've suggested it's a global problem but seem to have been the only one to acknowledge that it is a global problem.  

Trudeau, wearing a black mask and surrounded by bodyguards, made a surprise appearance at the "No justice = No peace" rally in front of Parliament. His appearance came a day after police shot and killed an indigenous woman during a wellness check in eastern Canada. 

Demonstrations were held in other Canadian cities on Friday, including Toronto, where hundreds walked downtown in protests sparked by the death of George Floyd, an unarmed black man, while in police custody in Minnesota.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/stand-up-to-trump-canada-protesters-shout-to-trudeau-who-kneels-at-anti-racism-rally/ar-BB156jOu?li=BBnb7Kz

Edited by FairreLilette

15 minutes ago, Sylvia Tamalyn said:

Perhaps no one thought it was necessary to comment on it. But hey, keep reposting it till you get the attention you apparently want. 

I read your post and had to look. What the hell does she think I've been saying for the last 41 pages!? o.O

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, FairreLilette said:

I feel like the Canadian indigenous women, even in the article, was completely over-looked, ignored even.   It's seems kind of off to me.   

A few years ago, the CBC produced a comprehensive database of everyone killed by the police in Canada from 2000 to 2017. There are a number of disturbing patterns here (someone needs to ask the RCMP why "getting their man" so often seems to involve killing him), but two salient points stick out. The first is that blacks are unsurprisingly also disproportionately likely to die at the hands of cops, but the second is that you're even more likely to be killed by them if you are First Nations.

We are very aware of those numbers, I assure you. And they are both informing protests throughout Canada over the past week.

https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform-custom/deadly-force

Edited by Scylla Rhiadra
Forgot to add link
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Extrude Ragu said:

My issue is that I think that there are thugs and bandits who are absolutely taking advantage of the fact that people are very emotional about this movement, using it as cover for themselves whilst they loot and destroy for their own selfish gains, and people are so

I know there's this whole centuries of institutional racism, but let's not lose focus on the real injustice. Someone burned down an Autozone. This outrage will not stand!

There are times I cannot wait for Skynet to become self-aware.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

I know there's this whole centuries of institutional racism, but let's not lose focus on the real injustice. Someone burned down an Autozone. This outrage will not stand!

There are times I cannot wait for Skynet to become self-aware.

But it's not an autozone is it. Did you read that list I posted earlier? It's pretty long, and I think you'd be suprised at some of the things you'll find on there.

35 minutes ago, Scylla Rhiadra said:

The first is that blacks are unsurprisingly also disproportionately likely to die at the hands of cops, but the second is that you're even more likely to be killed by them if you are First Nations.

To me, it seemed like her death was completely glossed over.  I'd have to attribute it to bad reporting as I don't know what else to make of it.  There was no mention of the indigenous women other than she was killed by The Police and that's all.  

Edit:  And, come to think of it further, it doesn't even mention her name.  It is rather off and odd, and not bad reporting but rather very bad reporting.    

Edited by FairreLilette

2 hours ago, Extrude Ragu said:

In case anyone is interested, i found a list of buildings destroyed or damaged by looting and fire in Minneapolis.

https://bringmethenews.com/minnesota-news/a-list-of-the-buildings-damaged-looted-in-minneapolis-and-st-paul

Many of these appear to be small businesses, the sort of place that would have taken someones life savings to open and a lifelong dream and work to make it to where they are. I can imagine many of these people at this point in their life throwing their hands in the air and simply giving up.

I don't believe anyone in this thread agrees with the rioters or looters.  Antifa is the one suspected of inciting the riots not BLM, but someone would need to clarify that further as I'm pretty tired and need rest but here is a bit about Antifa plus they might have a website page you can look up.  It's Antifa who is suspected not BLM even by President Trump.  

Antifa (/ænˈtfə, ˈæntiˌfɑː/)[1] is a predominantly left-wing,[2][3][4][5] anti-fascist political activist movement in the United States[11][16] comprising a diverse array of autonomous groups that aim to achieve their objectives through the use of direct action rather than through policy reform.[17][18][19][20]

Activists engage in protest tactics such as digital activism and militancy, involving property damage, physical violence and harassment against fascists, racists and those on the far-right.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antifa_(United_States)

Edited by FairreLilette

9 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

Next week on Gaslight Theater

Did you read the list, or are you just doubling down on your viewpoint and avoiding contrasting views?

Is it worth my time to share information from the other side of the story with you?

5 minutes ago, Lyssa Greymoon said:

No.

That's fine. 

I just want to point out that you have made an open public admission to anyone who sees what you write that you are not open to criticism and thus are acting purely on emotion without critical thought, and willing ignorance of any information that might not favor your personal beliefs. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1378 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.