Overfull Sims - Vent warning...

Anna Nova

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am sick and fed up of getting invites to go to shops and events in SL, only to find when I get there that the sim is full with everyone and their gibbon's cat's mother.

SL needs special controls for whole sims that allow the tier-payer to pay more for more computer power, and the set points should be variable against the lag.  The more lag the more you pay!

I could name the culprits, and it's not just events, it's permanent stores like S, A and B. (you can guess.)

Damn Blast <expletive deleted> ...

So you really want it, and then when you click the vendor you find someones unrezzed head was in the way....

And when you finally get to pay it, it takes an hour for the stuff to arrive.

There vent over.

• Like 3

It'd be nice if there estate or even parcel level controls for idle timers and laggy avatars, but scripts could actually clean people out regularly.

I suspect most merchants don't want to get rid of customers, and certainly almost none are going to pay extra for the extra resources you're suggesting. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Paul Hexem said:

It'd be nice if there estate or even parcel level controls for idle timers and laggy avatars, but scripts could actually clean people out regularly.

I suspect most merchants don't want to get rid of customers, and certainly almost none are going to pay extra for the extra resources you're suggesting. 

I want LL to FINE them for inviting enough people (and their scripts) to cause lag.

You want MORE customers, you pay MORE tier.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I am sick and fed up of getting invites to go to shops and events in SL, only to find when I get there that the sim is full with everyone and their gibbon's cat's mother.

SL needs special controls for whole sims that allow the tier-payer to pay more for more computer power, and the set points should be variable against the lag.  The more lag the more you pay!

Right and that would so work. 🙄

But hey, considering LL introduce features a minority want perhaps suggest it and they might introduce it 3 years from now. Just as 3 years later and looking to be 4 years we are still waiting for them to move the servers to Cloud of which they claim will fix some lag issues as well as reduce tier. Believe it when I see it.

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

[1] the sim is full

[2] lag

You want emptier sims? You want less lag?

- Flatten the curve, folks -

(Ad 1) Sell the product at a slower rate, over a longer period of time by advertising less and participating less in events.

(Ad 2) Wear fewer scripts in your attachments before tp-ing to an event. And have event managers pay more for faster sims.

But then again, none of that is ever going to happen, because: economy... and... freedom!

Edited by Arduenn Schwartzman

6 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I could name the culprits, and it's not just events, it's permanent stores like S, A and B. (you can guess.)

So you really want it, and then when you click the vendor you find someones unrezzed head was in the way....

And when you finally get to pay it, it takes an hour for the stuff to arrive.

There vent over.

You know what's even worse? The fact that a surprisingly amount of people start editing their avatars after getting the item in the same region. This happened with the current Legacy Classic which is given away for 1L. The region was full with people editing their avis, dancing and chatting as if it was a hangout. Thank god I've managed to figure out that members who were in the "The Shops!' group had some sort of priority, otherwise I would've never been able to get in. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A big help I employ when shopping full events or busy shops is *show friends only* & going in wearing nothing but a full alpha.  If I need to demo clothing then it requires a 2nd trip.  I even go further to turn off the sky in advanced.  You’d be surprised the differences those steps make.

• Like 4

You need to turn people off during events. That helps quite a bit. I also turn down graphics to the second lowest preset and set the draw distance to the minimum. I've no idea how to stop sims from being full other than to just wait a few days until the initial crowd goes away. 

jellydolls in sl.png

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AndehMoltoer said:

Thank god I've managed to figure out that members who were in the "The Shops!' group had some sort of priority, otherwise I would've never been able to get in. 

How would they give a priority on getting into a region based on a group membership? 

Standard region controls provided by LL won't do this.  I can limit those entering my region to just one specific group but there is no way to give priority access to a group.  I understand the new Estate Access Management project viewer allows having multiple allowed groups but as far as I know it still doesn't allow for giving priority entrance to a select group.  The only priority given to access that I know of is SL premium members.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

A big help I employ when shopping full events or busy shops is *show friends only* & going in wearing nothing but a full alpha.  If I need to demo clothing then it requires a 2nd trip.  I even go further to turn off the sky in advanced.  You’d be surprised the differences those steps make.

How do you 'turn the sky off'?

The 'show feinds only button' was new to me.  After 8 years, doh!

12 hours ago, belindacarson said:

Some places use script counters to eject after a short warning to lower them, but big events don't always use them.

Which is hilarious because those counters have some of the most resource offending scripts in them.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

I want LL to FINE them for inviting enough people (and their scripts) to cause lag.

The major issue with this is you don't need an invitation to go to a shop. A shop can see a sudden rise in popularity by word of mouth and suddenly their tier should go up? Yeah, no.

The biggest problem in Second Life economics, if not the grid entirely, right now is land/tier costs. This suggests a step backwards in correcting that, with all due respect.

Linden Lab needs to solve the problem of lag, not punish its users for a system that lags.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Amanda Dallin said:

How would they give a priority on getting into a region based on a group membership? 

Standard region controls provided by LL won't do this.  I can limit those entering my region to just one specific group but there is no way to give priority access to a group.  I understand the new Estate Access Management project viewer allows having multiple allowed groups but as far as I know it still doesn't allow for giving priority entrance to a select group.  The only priority given to access that I know of is SL premium members.

I do not KNOW that this is accurate, but, I seem to be able to enter a mainland region that is telling guests it is full, when I also happen to own over half of the region.

Surely somebody has a more precise description of this mechanism.  I once took advantage of it to allow a DJ to get back in a club after their viewer crashed.

Edited by Ardy Lay

11 hours ago, Anna Nova said:

Oh yes absolutely...lol.

Or, for events, you could all take off your avatars and be invisible...of course you might bump into each other...but you'd get your stuff.

I'd go as an invisible avatar...no one is looking at you at events anyways and you are not supposed to change clothes in public...so go invisible to help your computer avoid the lag, then take your demos and go home to try them on.  You can quickly change back into your visible avatar by clicking a few buttons from the outfits feature.     

Edited by FairreLilette

47 minutes ago, Ardy Lay said:

I do not KNOW that this is accurate, but, I seem to be able to enter a mainland region that is telling guests it is full, when I also happen to own over half of the region.

Surely somebody has a more precise description of this mechanism.  I once took advantage of it to allow a DJ to get back in a club after their viewer crashed.

Is that a mainland region you own half of?  You have to be premium to own mainland and as I mentioned region owners, estate managers, and Residents with Premium accounts are given preferred access to crowded regions.  The bonus capacity of a region depends on the type of region.  Full regions are +10% and homesteads are +25%.  It's not related to groups.  If a full region has a capacity set at 100 then 10 more avies can get in if they meet the above restrictions.  I'd guess you are premium.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Anna Nova said:

How do you 'turn the sky off'?

The 'show feinds only button' was new to me.  After 8 years, doh!

Advanced → Rendering Types → Water (sky is a choice, too, as is I think it’s volume which is the land & very good for discovering lost things)

Edited by Pixie Kobichenko
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Amanda Dallin said:

Is that a mainland region you own half of?  You have to be premium to own mainland and as I mentioned region owners, estate managers, and Residents with Premium accounts are given preferred access to crowded regions.  The bonus capacity of a region depends on the type of region.  Full regions are +10% and homesteads are +25%.  It's not related to groups.  If a full region has a capacity set at 100 then 10 more avies can get in if they meet the above restrictions.  I'd guess you are premium.

I have been able to enter as the 45th Agent.

image.png.50523a0224004dfb3d0e35fc9e814558.png

51 minutes ago, Pixie Kobichenko said:

Advanced → Rendering Types → Water (sky is a choice, too, as is I think it’s volume which is the land & very good for discovering lost things)

I sometimes do this when sailing in a ship battle if it seems very laggy.  The view is not as important as it is for most sailing.  I just need to see the other ships.  It does seem to help a lot along with turning off transparent water.

• Like 2

If i had an inworld store again it would be limited to 10 avatars at a time, payment on file. I know thats not the feature you want but we have to make due with what we got. being old school to me it was about the store experience not cramming as many as possible to make as quick buck. It's possible with the move to amazon servers what your wanting might come true, 200 avatars and servers to boost, someone mentioned they are moving most things like chat off the region servers soon..that might help alot

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Adam Spark said:

The major issue with this is you don't need an invitation to go to a shop. A shop can see a sudden rise in popularity by word of mouth and suddenly their tier should go up? Yeah, no.

The biggest problem in Second Life economics, if not the grid entirely, right now is land/tier costs. This suggests a step backwards in correcting that, with all due respect.

Linden Lab needs to solve the problem of lag, not punish its users for a system that lags.

You guys do know I'm joking, don't you?

See signature banner below 👇 (or did you turn those off....)

Edited by Anna Nova
typo

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1498 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.