EEP Finally Out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

3 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

blog url please

I try not to get my hand slapped for advertising. So just ask Google for "Chic at Phil's Place".   It will be the top article or likely over in the sidebar of popular ones for folks seeing this later :D.    It was an interesting afternoon for sure. 

7 hours ago, Pussycat Catnap said:

There's no category in Marketplace to list EEP's you put out, I had to put my freebie in the general overall 'Home and Garden' section...

Marketplace needs a category for this kind of stuff.

Since that got a 'confused' reaction let me note one of the features of EEP is you can share the settings in-game. Including selling them. No longer a need to host a download on some website somewhere.

So I put my windlight settings into EEP, and put them on the marketplace as a fullperms freebie - and that is when I noticed there's no category for things like this.

In passing them around to my alts I also noticed that you can pass the day cycle without the individual windlight cycles - and doing so makes it hard for the alt to pick one time of day and set it. So I'm going to have to give my alts the full pack of the ones I made as well...

Edited by Pussycat Catnap

1 hour ago, Chic Aeon said:

I try not to get my hand slapped for advertising. So just ask Google for "Chic at Phil's Place".   It will be the top article or likely over in the sidebar of popular ones for folks seeing this later :D.    It was an interesting afternoon for sure. 

Sorry, thought if you were asked you could say and not get slapped.

• Haha 1

How does one get EEP?   It's not included on my current LL viewer and I do get automatic updates whenever they are issued.  I looked at the list of release candidate viewers and none of them look like they are EEP.

I did try the EEP test viewer some months ago and found that it worked well for the environment but gave poor lighting of avatars, no matter what I did with the settings.

Edited by Conifer Dada

2 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

How does one get EEP?   It's not included on my current LL viewer and I do get automatic updates whenever they are issued.  I looked at the list of release candidate viewers and none of them look like they are EEP.

I did try the EEP test viewer some months ago and found that it worked well for the environment but gave poor lighting of avatars, no matter what I did with the settings.

I logged in yesterday with a previous Linden viewer main release and in a couple of minutes was offered the update automatically saying I had to log out in order to update. Update went very quickly and then I had the viewer.  This is the normal routine for the Linden viewer.  EEP HAS improved over the previous versions.  

4 hours ago, Conifer Dada said:

Download from https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ or from its release notes page.

The reason you have not gotten the update automatically yet is that you happen to have been randomly selected to be in the test cohort for a different Release Candidate viewer (in your case this one); within a few days the EEP features will have been merged into that candidate and you would get an update that includes them.

• Like 4

I think they are no longer in the viewer to see but they are sitting somewhere in your computer folder that you can import as an eep object. 

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Environmental_Enhancement_Project#Importing_existing_Windlight_settings

It looks like LL fixed the one big issue I had with EEP which was persistence of personal windlight/eep settings after restart. Thanks! Although, I'm more likely to try checking out a parcel's environment now. If I see a very well designed parcel I would now assume the designer also made their own lighting.

There's a 'settings' folder in our inventory now? Nice. It has my test sky object in it. I guess that's where all my eep's will be. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Marianne Little said:

When every viewer uses EEP, what will happen like special windlights like the ones from Battlescars?

Can we still use them, and will they look the same? And all our other windlights like Tusken, will all these be gone for ever?

If you have made new Windlights they are currently on your computer. For Firestorm viewer, mine are here:

image.png.b05cb132550188c1b0b04bc4114711b3.png

You can save those to a new folder and then import them once you have upgraded to a new EEP viewer.

You can also save existing files that come with your viewer of choice.  For Firestorm they are here:

image.png.4c70559caf1c6b46a51e61c7a191da2d.png

Those files CANNOT just be copied over in the Windows explorer. They need to be imported (one at a time unless that has changed) into the new EEP viewer.  

So if you SAVE those xml files somewhere on your computer you will be able to import them again into your new EEP viewer.  

My tests of yesterday showed that the will NOT NECESSARILY look the same. Sometimes they were close and sometime not close at all.  I can't see a pattern as to the "why" of that with so few skies imported. Maybe down the road I will figure it out.  

So fine the Windlights that you want to convert and save them to a new folder. 

Personally I am going to let all this go for now until the new Firestorm viewer comes out.  

One thing that I noticed testing yesterday is that the PLACES Windlights that had been added to the list of skies in the Linden viewer had super fast moving clouds.  They did NOT originally (I made those a decade ago and they have been in viewers most of that time).   So apparently being able to stop the clouds is a very good thing.  :D.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Oz Linden said:

Many of the Firestorm windlights were converted for you and can be found in the Settings folder of the Library in your inventory.

That's nice to hear but where are the windlight settings I made in the official SL viewer for my own use?

Edited by ChinRey

9 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

Those files CANNOT just be copied over in the Windows explorer. They need to be imported (one at a time unless that has changed) into the new EEP viewer.

I assume that importing one's customized Windlights involves an upload fee? The usual L$10?

14 minutes ago, Oz Linden said:

Many of the Firestorm windlights were converted for you and can be found in the Settings folder of the Library in your inventory.

Yes, some of mine were and I just added that to my post above. BUT the clouds on those ZOOOOOOOM by I noted. They do not in their normal Windlight mode.  Happy that they are there.  I just went to make sure I didn't make those clouds scurry across the sky and in my non-EEP viewer (Firestorm) they meander slowly. There may be a way to fix that of course. I really haven't delved into things lately. 

Sorry that was the clouds moving when loading, NOT when used. My bad.  

Not ALL of my Places Windlights are included of course and not all of Phototools etc. So if folks have favorites then saving and uploading could be important.  

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Oz Linden said:

That's fantastic! I couldn't see my favourite Firestorm premade setting that I have enabled for everyday use - [NB] Alpine Skinlight RGB - so I'll just import that one as well as some others that I'd manually installed, but that long list of premades is going to save a lot of time in the long run. Thanks :)

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, ChinRey said:

That's nice to hear but where are the windlight settings I made in the official SL viewer for my own use?

My Places ones were added a decade or so ago. They are all still available for download on some file sharing site (I think I have a link to that on my Windlight blog page).  As far as I know only "creative commons" files were added to the viewers.    

ADDING: BUT I just realized that those in the library are for photography only.   The avatar using is the only one seeing.   Hence no issue really. 

OK. Obviously making things more confusing so I will shut up now. You must COPY from the Library to your regular inventory  and then (I suspect) you can adjust or use.   It is super nice to have those in FOLDERS!!!   A nice plus for sure. 

MINE are still available on Mediafire and free to download. I just checked. See my Windlight page for a link. 

1533607198_librarywindlights.thumb.jpg.e5291bdb226ebe8ce0bc202ac7e3df3a.jpg

Edited by Chic Aeon
adding info
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chic Aeon said:

As far as I know only "creative commons" files were added to the viewers.    

Well, I would have been really worried if some of my wndlight settigns I've never shared with anybody (yet) suddenly appeared in the Library. ;)

Anyway, it turns out that my windlights were safely stored in an invisible folder just like Chic suggested so I was able to retrieve the sky settings. My day cycle can't be imported but it shouldn't be too difficult to reconstruct now that I have the sky settings it was made from.

Lots of thanks and a few hugs to Chic. No thanks to Oz and the Lindens yet. I will forgive them eventually because EEP has so much else going for it but I need a bit of time to get over the shock and frustration first. And I really hope you remember from now on that there actually are people in SL who make stuff themselves. It's easy to forget.

Edited by ChinRey
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Marianne Little said:

When every viewer uses EEP, what will happen like special windlights like the ones from Battlescars?

Can we still use them, and will they look the same? And all our other windlights like Tusken, will all these be gone for ever?

You can convert most windlights over. It's really easy to do.

Once imported, you can "pass them around to all your friends, family, and beloved enemies". 🙂

With all the old windlights we've been passing around for years - I guess there's just the issue of who has the IP rights before we just 'put them up on marketplace as a freebie'.

To use the settings on a parcel:

ToUseParcel.png.1640b986cdd0599aab7c74783c9bfa8e.png

To apply settings to yourself or to the parcel:

ApplyToSelfOrParcel.thumb.png.c1757ebae35e85fe20e352534797a72e.png

Edited by Pussycat Catnap
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

Why don't you put your blog into your signature? 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Zzevir said:

Why don't you put your blog into your signature? 

Actually  I am personally against all "advertising" (also retailers :D) in the signatures. Just how I feel.  If anyone types in "Chic Aeon" in Google they can find the blog easily.  Actually Strawberry had a really fun challenge a few years ago where you Googled yourself.   Google loves Chic. And Google has NO idea about the typist (also a plan).    

I DO paste in links to my tutorials when folks are wondering how to do something, but as a reader I get tired of links to blogs so try and stay away from that as much as possible.   And perhaps I am over-sensitive when a mod contacts me shaking a finger :D. But again, that's me.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Oz Linden said:

Download from https://secondlife.com/support/downloads/ or from its release notes page.

The reason you have not gotten the update automatically yet is that you happen to have been randomly selected to be in the test cohort for a different Release Candidate viewer (in your case this one); within a few days the EEP features will have been merged into that candidate and you would get an update that includes them.

Thanks - that's great to hear.  

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1172 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.