EEP Finally Out!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

58 minutes ago, Lindal Kidd said:

You can.  Chic is being overly paranoid, IMO.  I mean...I have a link to MY blog right in my signature, and LL has never complained.

You misunderstood.

I am not "paranoid" about my blog link (how could that be?). I think the links and ads in the forum signatures are tacky, hence I do not use them.  I also have never had ads on my blog for the same reason.  I realize I can make sure that I don't see forum signatures one by one, but again -- that isn't the point for me. 

And yes, I did go to great lengths to no longer have a real life presence on the web. I used to have a RL presence WAY more than Chic. I left that behind purposefully. :D.  Took well over a decade.   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I finally got around to downloading the new LL viewer and taking a look at the new EEP.

So ... all my old settings I worked on and made for myself and all those I collected are just *****ing gone now?

Which Viewer do you normally use? There was a post a bit back showing where one of them (Firestorm) keeps the User made Windlight settings - which you can apparently import into the EEP Viewer.

2 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

I normally use Catznip.  I'm using the stock LL viewer right now to see the changes.

Below is Chic's post showing where - for windows anyway - the User Setings are located. Catznip might also use a similar location.

For Linux, it could be in a hidden .folder type location in your home folder.

6 hours ago, Chic Aeon said:

If you have made new Windlights they are currently on your computer. For Firestorm viewer, mine are here:

image.png.b05cb132550188c1b0b04bc4114711b3.png

You can save those to a new folder and then import them once you have upgraded to a new EEP viewer.

You can also save existing files that come with your viewer of choice.  For Firestorm they are here:

image.png.4c70559caf1c6b46a51e61c7a191da2d.png

Those files CANNOT just be copied over in the Windows explorer. They need to be imported (one at a time unless that has changed) into the new EEP viewer.  

So if you SAVE those xml files somewhere on your computer you will be able to import them again into your new EEP viewer.  

My tests of yesterday showed that the will NOT NECESSARILY look the same. Sometimes they were close and sometime not close at all.  I can't see a pattern as to the "why" of that with so few skies imported. Maybe down the road I will figure it out.  

So fine the Windlights that you want to convert and save them to a new folder. 

Personally I am going to let all this go for now until the new Firestorm viewer comes out.  

One thing that I noticed testing yesterday is that the PLACES Windlights that had been added to the list of skies in the Linden viewer had super fast moving clouds.  They did NOT originally (I made those a decade ago and they have been in viewers most of that time).   So apparently being able to stop the clouds is a very good thing.  :D.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Rhonda Huntress said:

Finally!

Sorry for the rant.   I had to open all the folders under My Environments.

/me blushes

The ones I made I have all the setting in notecards so I can recreate those sky presets.

My next ??? moment is trying to find a way to save and load Personal Lighting.

As has been mentioned and is in the WIKI and also on the pop-up when you first install the EEP viewer --

you can IMPORT YOUR OLD SETTINGS. 

They may or may not look the same but trying to recreate them from scratch will likely not be that easy. The interface is much different now.  I agree about waiting though. I will be.   

50 minutes ago, arton Rotaru said:

Oh man, the specularity from specular maps is pretty much non-existent with sunlight only. They work as expected just with local light sources. The world looks pretty much like Second Life pre Materials.....

What a disapointment. o.O

And also like Second Life post-Materials, pre -EEP.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, Lindal Kidd said:

Theresa...are you saying Materials didn't respond to system lighting??

I never saw much of an effect with materials without local light, particularly with anything worn on an avatar. They were there, but subtle. Actually with EEP I'd say materials are quite a bit stronger under local light.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

All my Windlight files vanished except for a backup copy I made myself last year on a secondary hard drive.  I can't get them to save as files in Settings but at least I have something to work from.  I have no idea why there was no record at all of them on the main drive where they should have been.

I think it might be easier to start from scratch.

Edited by Garnet Psaltery
  • Sad 2

I've now installed the EEP viewer and made some sky settings and even attempted a day sequence.

On the whole it seems pretty good. Avatar lighting seems fine, unlike with the old EEP test viewer!  

The only slight downside seems that the frame-rate anywhere that's slightly busy seems a bit slower than the standard LL viewer on the same graphics setting.

• Like 1

I was glad to see, in the scripting function llSetAgentEnvironment(), creators can specify a transition time during which one environment will change to a new one. I hope creators take advantage of it and I look forward to seeing how it gets used. I'm going to experiment with it myself, to see what it looks like.

• Like 1

I just got around to watching the video. It is well-made and I appreciated the humor, but I have to agree with many other comments I've read that having that voice in an educational video was a bad idea. I've read others say it is hard to understand for people who do not have English as a first language, well English is my first language and I still found it difficult AND annoying. I also think the content was too heavy on the cutesy and too light on the "how to."

I'm not techno phobic, exactly, I just get really frustrated with feeling like I need to get a PhD in Second Life in order to use it. If someone would just touch my head with a magic wand and bestow all this knowledge into my head, great. I just don't want to spend the endless hours fussing with things without being able to actually enjoy SL.did spend the time to learn Windlights and how to take photos and all of that... only now to have that all be defunct? Yes yes, time and innovation moves forward, and I'm glad it does (sort of) but... sigh and damn.

• Like 2

I never did mess with the local settings offered by the viewer.  I was not interested in deviating from the shared experience.  Now that EEP is released we are using the parcel settings to maintain a shared experience.  Some people may not see this because they have used some method to override the shared environment settings.  That is, of course, up to them, but it gets weird when it comes up in conversation when we are talking about what we see.

3 hours ago, Seicher Rae said:

I have to agree with many other comments I've read that having that voice in an educational video was a bad idea. I've read others say it is hard to understand for people who do not have English as a first language, well English is my first language and I still found it difficult AND annoying. I also think the content was too heavy on the cutesy and too light on the "how to."

In mild defense ...  It's not really a tutorial "how to" video.  It's an introductory "Lookit what EEP does!" video, a sort of pre-tutorial warm-up. That same character has introduced other SL features for a couple of years now. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rolig Loon said:

In mild defense ...  It's not really a tutorial "how to" video.  It's an introductory "Lookit what EEP does!" video, a sort of pre-tutorial warm-up. That same character has introduced other SL features for a couple of years now. 

I wrote something about that in the EEP forum, in that I think it failed as both a how to and as an introductory. There wasn't enough of lookit what you can do! either. I guess I can accept it as a pre-tutorial warm up. It just didn't "do it" for me. 

• 1 month later...
On 5/31/2020 at 3:20 AM, animats said:

When is daytime in EEP? I have an EEP viewer and a non-EEP viewer, both set to follow the region defaults, and one shows day when the other shows night. llGetSunDirection agrees with the non-EEP viewer.

EEP viewers obey the day length and offset configured by the region owner. Whether or not the day cycle causes the light and dark agree with the resulting region time depends on how the environment day cycle has been configured.

pre-EEP viewers use the fixed default 4 hour SL "day" and the servers translation of the environment settings back to the nearest equivalent in the pre-EEP viewer capabilities, so it's not surprising if there are some discrepancies.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tarina Sewell said:

I am just really confused over the whole thing.  It is my understanding that only you can view your settings?

It depends on your settings. You can either see the settings chosen by the land owner or you can override it. Much as you could do pre-EEP, where you could see the region settings (which everyone can see if they want) or set it to something like midday (which would only show for you).

Unfortunately, at the moment EEP also means you're saying goodbye to working materials. Ebbe mentioned on Twitter that they were working on a fix, but I haven't seen any other confirmation of that. I updated before I realised, so don't be me... no need to update right this moment.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1144 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.